Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > General > Audio encoding

View Poll Results: The prescribed method in this article is...
The worst possible way to do it... 2 66.67%
More difficult than it has to be... 1 33.33%
Intended in the guides for the abolute n00b cuz even THEY would get it... 0 0%
Or a start, but needs improvement. 0 0%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 3. You may not vote on this poll

Old 25th June 2008, 00:15   #1  |  Link
nitricpyro

DVDecrypter -> DVDShrink -> Gordion Knot -> to DivX (Wrong?)

I have about a %50 success rate of my DivX movies coming out with synced audio using the following method...

DVDecrypter - to rip the entire movie in vob's
DVDShrink - to turn those into a folder with "Just Movie" (or whatever) files
Gordion Knot - to run DGIndex on the files (cuz I have to?) using the prescribed methods, then to set all my settings and then to import into DivX

This works great with about %70 of the files, but once I get one processed (5 hours on my system) that didn't work I have no idea what to do about the audio. DVD Shrink ALWAYS plays the audio and video in sync but then after that I don't know what happens. The only thing I know to do after that is to make a guess as to the difference and then trying the whole process until I get it right... ugh!

Should I be using another program in this setup?
Should I use another program all together?
I've read the vStrip guide, is vStrip my answer?
Does anyone know of an article that discusses this issue?

Thanks again for your help, I've searched and asked other questions but I can't get past this alone, thanks for any help!
nitricpyro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th June 2008, 00:25   #2  |  Link
stax76

This combo should usually work. Which DVD for instance causes sync issues and what kind of sync issue is it?
stax76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th June 2008, 00:35   #3  |  Link
nitricpyro

Don't laugh!

Becoming Jane, a movie my wife bought about two weeks ago... the sound is ahead of the video by about a second. I can name a bunch all with similar issues. When the audio came of DGIndex the file was labeled ...-76ms.ac3, I converted it to mp3 and muxed it with those settings and then put it together. Same thing with "Dan in real life" etc.

I have a Media Center PC that I'm running in the living room, it's just much much much easier to have all my movies on the computer for playback instead of a bunch of DVD's.
Old 25th June 2008, 01:54   #4  |  Link
setarip_old

@nitricpyro

Hi!
Quote:
Gordion Knot - to run DGIndex on the files (cuz I have to?) using the prescribed methods, then to set all my settings and then to import into DivX
Try using MPEG Mediator instead of Gordion Knot and DGIndex...
setarip_old is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th June 2008, 04:31   #5  |  Link
nitricpyro

Quote:
Originally Posted by setarip_old View Post
@nitricpyro

Hi!Try using MPEG Mediator instead of Gordion Knot and DGIndex...
I downloaded and ran a trial using this program.... I get this error message (each of 10 attempts using different settings)

OpenDML AVI Output
VideoSequenceCompressor :: start - unable to start video compression

Any ideas?

Also, I was at one point using RipIt4Me but began having similar problems when it was all said and done, however since I stopped using that program I stopped using FixVTS, does this program fix issues like this?

Last edited by nitricpyro; 25th June 2008 at 04:43. Reason: Read article linked above from RunningSkittle
Old 25th June 2008, 01:59   #6  |  Link
stax76

You can try following methods:

1.) In DVD Decrypter maybe you can disable cells at the beginning.
2.) Use DVD Shrink in reauthor mode cutting bits at the beginning.
4.) Demux using ProjectX.
3.) Use PgcDemux though I don't think this would work.
stax76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th June 2008, 03:00   #7  |  Link
pelmen

For making divx avis i use SmartRipper to rip just the movie/episode I want from a DVD to a single file .vob file, then use VirtualDubMod to turn it into an avi file (i do a stream copy for the ac3 audio so it doesn't get processed into something else like mp3). this process has never given me any problems with syncing (i play on computer, divx dvd player and media player device connected to tv). VirtualDubMod can also batch process so you can convert a bunch of items and do multipass encoding if you wanted.

I guess the best thing you can do is try a bunch of different things until you have a process that gives you good syncing and stick with it.

good luck

Last edited by pelmen; 25th June 2008 at 03:10.
pelmen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th June 2008, 19:53   #8  |  Link
nitricpyro

Quote:
Originally Posted by pelmen View Post
For making divx avis i use SmartRipper to rip just the movie/episode I want from a DVD to a single file .vob file, then use VirtualDubMod to turn it into an avi file (i do a stream copy for the ac3 audio so it doesn't get processed into something else like mp3).

good luck
Could you go into some detail about the process you use, I have to admit VirtualDubMod scares me with all the options etc unless I'm just letting Gordion Knot do it automatically. If not here, do you have a helpful link to a guide or walk-through?
Old 25th June 2008, 03:07   #9  |  Link
RunningSkittle
Skittle

http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?t=137624
RunningSkittle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th June 2008, 07:29   #10  |  Link
setarip_old

Quote:
VideoSequenceCompressor :: start - unable to start video compression
Do you have a codec installed that shows in the dropdown list?
Old 25th June 2008, 15:54   #11  |  Link
nitricpyro

Quote:
Do you have a codec installed that shows in the dropdown list?

Yes, my list shows...

DivX :-) MPEG-4 Low-Motion
DivX :-) MPEG-4 Fast-Motion
DivX 5.2.1 Codec
Microsoft MPEG-4 Video Codec V1
Microsoft MPEG-4 Video Codec V2
XviD MPEG-4 Codec
DivX 5.2.1 Codec

Later last night I tried it on another machine with DivX 6 and that didn't work either.
Old 25th June 2008, 17:01   #12  |  Link
setarip_old

Does it work for you if you select the (older) "DivX :-) MPEG-4 Fast-Motion" codec?
Old 25th June 2008, 18:45   #13  |  Link
nitricpyro

Yes and no

Quote:
Does it work for you if you select the (older) "DivX :-) MPEG-4 Fast-Motion" codec?
I got it to work using the "DivX :-) MPEG-4 Fast-Motion" codec ONLY WHEN I use the "DivX Audio" for the sound, as opposed to mp3 and wav.

However, the program runs for a while except it never stops, a few moments ago before it was finished it was working on the 354,000 (or so) video frame which is over 200,000 more than the audio frame. (I know audio doesn't have frames but in this program is lists them as frames) Basically the video kept going but the audio stopped. When I aborted the program to check the video the sound was even more off, perhaps closer to two minutes off than the original second.
Old 25th June 2008, 20:32   #14  |  Link
setarip_old

Quote:
I got it to work using the "DivX :-) MPEG-4 Fast-Motion" codec ONLY WHEN I use the "DivX Audio" for the sound, as opposed to mp3 and wav.
However, the program runs for a while except it never stops, a few moments ago before it was finished it was working on the 354,000 (or so) video frame which is over 200,000 more than the audio frame. (I know audio doesn't have frames but in this program is lists them as frames) Basically the video kept going but the audio stopped. When I aborted the program to check the video the sound was even more off, perhaps closer to two minutes off than the original second.
In the more than 5 years that I've used MPEG Mediator (v.1.5), I've never encountered any of the difficulties you've described.

What is the Title and Region number of the problematic DVD?
Old 25th June 2008, 20:50   #15  |  Link
nitricpyro

I'm trying to convert "Becoming Jane" a region 1 DVD into DivX.
Old 25th June 2008, 22:15   #16  |  Link
setarip_old

Quote:
I'm trying to convert "Becoming Jane" a region 1 DVD into DivX.
This 2/21/08 Miramax release VERY LIKELY has a copy protection scheme that cannot be properly processed by either of the venerable programs, DVDDecrypter or DVD Shrink.

Try ripping it with any of the following:

RipIt4Me
DVD95CopyPro
AnyDVD
DVDFabHD Decrypter
Old 26th June 2008, 01:35   #17  |  Link
nitricpyro

Quote:
This 2/21/08 Miramax release VERY LIKELY has a copy protection scheme that cannot be properly processed by either of the venerable programs, DVDDecrypter or DVD Shrink.

Try ripping it with any of the following:

RipIt4Me
DVD95CopyPro
AnyDVD
DVDFabHD Decrypter
I downloaded DVDFab 5 (the latest) and also updated DGIndex to 1.5... am trying right now, will post the results.
Old 26th June 2008, 04:15   #18  |  Link
pelmen

SmartRipper is fairly easy to work out to get the vobs. There are a series of checkboxes and just look for the one with the longest time next to it which will be the main movie and just select that. In the settings set it to output to a single vob (instead of splitting), choose just the audio track you want etc.

VirtualDubMod is pretty powerful and there is much you can do with it but most of its useless unless you are recording from home movies and want to do some editing/cleanup. So don't worry about most of the stuff. From memory this is what I do (i'm not at home so i can't open it to check)...

1-load in the vob file (you should see two display boxes in the window showing the video (one is for the input and one for what the output would look like, this is only useful if you are applying video filters so dont worry about these too much). at the bottom is a control line so you can jump through video to wherever you like (handy to just jump to the end and make sure the credits are there).

2-From the "Streams" menu select "Stream List". This shows you the audio and subtitle tracks in the video. Right click on the audio stream in the list and it should have "Direct Stream Copy" with a dot next to it. Right click again and select "Interleaving". Change "Interleave audio every" to 500 and choose ms instead of frames (years ago in a guide i read about keeping audio synced said to set this and i've never had any problems so i still use it). Close the Streams window now.

3-In the Video menu make sure to select "Full processing mode"

4-In the Video menu select "Compression" and go ahead and choose divx and configure the settings you want.

5-Go the the File menu and select "Save As", enter a filename and hit Save and it will start the compression process and leave the original audio intact.

If you want to batch process several items, on the Save As popup is an option to tick called "Don't run this job now..." and it gets added to a batch list. To start the batched jobs running go to File > Job Control and press the Start button.

If you want to change the AC3 audio into MP3 for example go to Streams > Stream List. Right click on the audio and press "Full Processing Mode". Right click on it again and now the options for compression are available and you can choose your audio settings. I don't think you can convert DTS with this (I only ever rip with AC3 tracks and never DTS and I never convert so I don't know how good the conversion process is here...but I'd recommend if you are going to compress to stereo MP3 that when you rip to a vob with streamripper to select the 2.0 channel audio track instead of the 5.1 one if its available...the original will have a better stereo downmix than you'll get from doing it yourself with the 5.1 mix).

Hope this helps.
Old 27th June 2008, 02:19   #19  |  Link
nitricpyro

Update

Okay, so the past few days I've been trying everything that's been posted... so far I have had no luck.

Well... mostly didn't work. I got a different movie with similar problems to work in DVD Mediator however, after about 700,000 extra video frames the movie came out with a 2 and a half minute delay of black at the front (the sound was synced but the video very very choppy) and then it had 2 HOURS of black at the end of the movie. (Not exactly what I was looking for but thanks very much for the input)

I've also tried Options 1,2,3 for different programs/ways for ripping from the disc. Using DVDFab 5 for some reason screws with the video enough that no matter what method I use to convert it the file size is very close to what the audio is. Ex. 357mb audio file and then Gordian Knot, DGIndex, and Moderator all try and make the finished DivX movie in it's entirety 360mb. I end up just getting the sound with no video... very weird. (Double checked twice and ran twice with DGIndex)(4000 kbps and a file size expectation of 4300mb) Remember I'm trying to have a HIGH quality digital version of the movies I own... It really isn't worth it if I have to downgrade the video quality when I can with a little more effort just put the stinkin' DVD in the DVD Player. )

Right now I am encoding (or at least attempting to encode) "Becoming Jane" using VirtualDubMod into DivX, Quality Lvl 8, 4000 kbps, single pass, with my audio in ac3 (no conversion). I got the whole disk onto my harddrive using DVDFab 5 and then used DVD Shrink to convert the numerous movie files into a single .vob (using reauthor mode) and now I'm waiting for VirtualDubMod to complete. It's a very long process using this program, going on 7 hours lol.

So I wanted to thank every for all their help, if there is anything that you may notice, or think of, or think I should read let me know and I'll do it.

I'll get back with you when the conversion completes.

Old 27th June 2008, 03:26   #20  |  Link
pelmen

just an idea...try resizing the video to half size and use 1,000kbps for the video and see how that plays. being a time consuming this should let you get a process pinned down, then start doing the final ones using that process. if after doing that you are still getting syncing issues there may be an issue with the playback hardware/software not able to cope so well with high bitrates.

often these sorts of problems are a trial and error process of elimination to pin down the cause and point to a solution.

Tags
audio issues, divx, dvdshrink, sync, vstrip