Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > (HD) DVD, Blu-ray & (S)VCD > DVD & BD Rebuilder

Old 22nd August 2013, 07:37   #17821  |  Link
varekai

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdobbs View Post
I'm hoping to eventually be able to support a similar reauthoring mechanism... not sure how far I will go, though.
I regulary use MultiAVCHD and I think it's a great software but it has some serious shortcomings/bugs.
If I keep it simple it will do it's job just fine but as soon as I'm trying to create a more complex menu bad things happen.

If you will develop a similar software I'm in for donations for shure!

Regards

PS/
It's been a long time since I made a donation... so thanks for all your work!

Last edited by varekai; 22nd August 2013 at 08:09. Reason: Donation
varekai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd August 2013, 12:39   #17822  |  Link
laserfan
Aging Video Hobbyist

Quote:
I'm hoping to eventually be able to support a similar reauthoring mechanism... not sure how far I will go, though.
An interesting disc to look at might be "Chicago Live at the Greek". This is a 2 hour and 51 minute concert (!) that is separated into two playlists, each of which will fit easily on 25Gb BD discs, but because (I guess) they are linked to one simple menu with "Play" we can't make two discs each with the nice menu on it. You have to do "Movie only" and select the playlist you want, which works fine but you miss the "scene selection" menu which is important to get-at your fave songs.

The other authoring issue I encounter regularly is not being able to specify which audiotrack and which subtitle track to start the movie with.
laserfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd August 2013, 15:16   #17823  |  Link
RobertM

Quote:
Originally Posted by laserfan View Post
You have to do "Movie only" and select the playlist you want, which works fine but you miss the "scene selection" menu which is important to get-at your fave songs.
Can't you do a full backup but de-select the streams that you don't want?

[EDIT]
Ah, I guess not. I only do 'movie-only' backups, and I thought you could blank out video streams like you can blank out audio streams.

What about changing the name of the vid stream that you want to blank, and replacing it with an alternate, very small vid file. Will BD-RB choke on that?
[/EDIT]

Last edited by RobertM; 22nd August 2013 at 15:42.
RobertM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd August 2013, 16:57   #17824  |  Link
laserfan
Aging Video Hobbyist

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertM View Post
What about changing the name of the vid stream that you want to blank, and replacing it with an alternate, very small vid file. Will BD-RB choke on that?
I didn't try this, maybe it would work.

When trying to blank one of the two main playlists, this caused the other to blank as well. I would guess it's because they are linked by the menu.
Old 23rd August 2013, 19:17   #17825  |  Link
HomeDepot4

Good Afternoon! So I have made countless backups with these settings and except for the incident with Taken 2 (now fixed!!!!!) I've never had a problem. Can't get A Good Day To Die Hard to work correctly... The sound is off by a few seconds no matter what I do. I've tried it many times. It is NOT off on the ripped folder... I've checked. Thanks for any assistance! :-)

Code:
[08/23/13] BD Rebuilder v0.44.15 (beta)
[14:14:08] Source:  A_GOOD_DAY_TO_DIE_HARD_00000
  - Input BD size: 21.41 GB
  - Approximate total content: [01:41:09.729]
  - Windows Version: 6.2 [9200]
  - MOVIE-ONLY/ALTERNATE OUTPUT mode enabled
  - Mode: MKV Container, 1280x720, 448Kbs DD5.1
  - Decoding/Frame serving: DirectShow
  - Audio Settings: AC3=1 DTS=1 HD=1 Kbs=640

Last edited by HomeDepot4; 23rd August 2013 at 19:18. Reason: added code tags
HomeDepot4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th August 2013, 02:22   #17826  |  Link
Lathe

If I may ask for some brief opinions...

Hello!

Just a quick question if I may please. I was backing up one of my large Blu-ray movies (the entire BR is about 43 Gigs - the movie takes up about 33 Gigs) I use the entire disc setting with 'Fast encode for extras' and I am using a full BD25 as the target size. I've de-selected all foreign language and unnecessary audio streams. I usually just use your 'Automatic' encode settings because that usually does an EXCELLENT job no matter what. I've come to trust that completely. And it chooses to do 2 pass encodes when it 'feels' it is necessary, which is just fine.

However, I was checking out this one, and although the primary movie takes up 33 Gigs and it is a very action oriented film, I was surprised that BDRB chose to use only one pass for the film itself. Doesn't that seem a bit odd with such a fairly large movie with a lot of fast visuals, or does that seem normal to you? Since it is shrinking it to fit a disc which holds roughly about 23 Gigs, that seems a bit odd. I GUESS I could override the settings and just de-select the one pass options to force it to use 2 pass, but normally it always does an AWESOME job and on my 50" Plasma the back up copies of whatever I do always look great!

Any thoughts?

Thanks kindly for any general opinions. I KNOW this is a vague question, but since you guys are WAY more educated with this program I thought I would ask what your impressions are about this.

Thanks!

________________L@the
Lathe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th August 2013, 02:43   #17827  |  Link
Ch3vr0n

That's exactly the power of x264. Many blu-rays are created with a higher bitrate to keep the details than is actually needed. From what i understood long time ago, bdrb first tackles this by taking small clips and finding out what bitrate is REALLY needed to keep details and strips the redundant ones, that change alone reduces file sizes considerably. If the file is then still projected to be too large for the destination, only THEN does it actually recode it.

BDRB uses a system of variables to determine if 1 pass or 2 pass is needed for best results, what type of quality setting will suffice. That's the beauty of x264. It can compress a full sized BD50 down to DVD 5 / 9 size with relative minor quality loss.
Ch3vr0n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th August 2013, 04:55   #17828  |  Link
Lathe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ch3vr0n View Post
That's exactly the power of x264. Many blu-rays are created with a higher bitrate to keep the details than is actually needed. From what i understood long time ago, bdrb first tackles this by taking small clips and finding out what bitrate is REALLY needed to keep details and strips the redundant ones, that change alone reduces file sizes considerably. If the file is then still projected to be too large for the destination, only THEN does it actually recode it.

BDRB uses a system of variables to determine if 1 pass or 2 pass is needed for best results, what type of quality setting will suffice. That's the beauty of x264. It can compress a full sized BD50 down to DVD 5 / 9 size with relative minor quality loss.
Excellent answer Mr. Ch3vr0n! I really appreciate you taking the time to give me a nice, clear simple explanation of the concepts involved and how BDRB goes about it. That gives me a good idea of what is going on.

That is truly amazing what the x264 codec can do! Whoever came up with that should be canonized!

Cheers!
Lathe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th August 2013, 14:49   #17829  |  Link
yankeefan

Hi, I am having the same trouble with sound being off by a few seconds. It only happens on some movies and it is usually at the end of the movie.
yankeefan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th August 2013, 00:19   #17830  |  Link
DGenerateKane
Former Kanenite

I've been having two issues lately with BDRB. I'm not sure when they started as I don't process a blu-ray very often, but I know they were happening before I replaced my hard drive with an SSD two months ago, and persisted with a fresh win 7 install.

The first is for whatever reason x264.exe is using 100% of all four of my cores, making my computer agonizingly slow while BDRB is running. I have the encoder set on idle priority, so I assume it shouldn't be utilizing all my resources. I'm fairly sure it didn't before at least, though my memory is less than stellar, so maybe this is expected behavior.

The second is I can't get it to burn the disc after encoding. I saw that ImgBurn opened and closed immediately, so I checked the log and this is the most recent one, though all are basically identical.

Code:
; //****************************************\\
;   ImgBurn Version 2.5.8.0 - Log
;   Thursday, 29 August 2013, 09:14:46
; \\****************************************//
;
;
I 09:14:45 ImgBurn Version 2.5.8.0 started!
I 09:14:45 Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate x64 Edition (6.1, Build 7601 : Service Pack 1)
I 09:14:45 Total Physical Memory: 8,386,732 KiB  -  Available: 5,830,672 KiB
I 09:14:45 Initialising SPTI...
I 09:14:45 Searching for SCSI / ATAPI devices...
I 09:14:45 -> Drive 1 - Info: ELBY CLONEDRIVE 1.4 (K:) (SCSI)
I 09:14:46 -> Drive 2 - Info: HL-DT-ST BD-RE  BH08NS20 EL02-05 (J:) (SATA)
I 09:14:46 -> Drive 3 - Info: TSSTcorp DVDWBD SH-B123L SB04 (I:) (SATA)
I 09:14:46 Found 1 BD-ROM/HD DVD-ROM, 1 BD-ROM/DVD±RW and 1 BD-RE!
I 09:14:46 Close Request Acknowledged
I 09:14:46 Closing Down...
I 09:14:46 Shutting down SPTI...
I 09:14:46 ImgBurn closed!
So for whatever reason ImgBurn is being told (by BDRB I'm assuming) to close immediately.

Any help on these issues would be appreciated, and any more info needed let me know.

Last edited by DGenerateKane; 30th August 2013 at 00:43.
DGenerateKane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th August 2013, 18:38   #17831  |  Link
jdobbs

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertM View Post
Can't you do a full backup but de-select the streams that you don't want?

[EDIT]
Ah, I guess not. I only do 'movie-only' backups, and I thought you could blank out video streams like you can blank out audio streams.

[/EDIT]
You can. You just have to double-click on the upper part of the streaams list to go into edit mode.
Old 30th August 2013, 19:03   #17832  |  Link
RobertM

Quote:
You can. You just have to double-click on the upper part of the streaams list to go into edit mode.
That sounds perfect. But I just tried it (BD-RB v0.44.16) and I can't seem to get it to work. I've tried double-clicking everywhere in the streams list; on the 'stream' tab label, on the disc name text, the space to the right of the disc name, the icon to the left of the disc name, etc. Nothing seems to change, at least not visibly. Should a checkbox appear next to each stream?
Old 30th August 2013, 21:20   #17833  |  Link
gonca

RobertM

You might have to put ENABLE_BLANKING=1 in the configuration

Last edited by gonca; 30th August 2013 at 21:36. Reason: wrong hidden option originally given
gonca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th August 2013, 21:56   #17834  |  Link
laserfan
Aging Video Hobbyist

Quote:
Originally Posted by gonca View Post
RobertM

You might have to put ENABLE_BLANKING=1 in the configuration
Actually I believe it is

ENABLE_TEST=1

At least, that is how I got 44.0.15 to work.
Old 30th August 2013, 22:18   #17835  |  Link
RobertM

Quote:
Actually I believe it is

ENABLE_TEST=1
Right you are. It's a hidden, hiddenopt

Thanks guys.
Old 30th August 2013, 22:26   #17836  |  Link
jdobbs

Quote:
Actually I believe it is

ENABLE_TEST=1

At least, that is how I got 44.0.15 to work.
Oh, yeah... I've been meaning to make that the default and still haven't done so.
Old 30th August 2013, 23:07   #17837  |  Link
gonca

laserfan

I originally had the enable_test option, thats why the edit, but after re-reading RobertM's post I thought he was referring to blanking, not movie and menus mode.
Old 30th August 2013, 23:18   #17838  |  Link
jdobbs

Quote:
Originally Posted by gonca View Post
laserfan

I originally had the enable_test option, thats why the edit, but after re-reading RobertM's post I thought he was referring to blanking, not movie and menus mode.
He was. Both blanking and movie-and-menus are enabled with that same hidden option.
Old 31st August 2013, 00:07   #17839  |  Link
gonca

I missed the fact that ENABLE_TEST did both options, My bad.
Old 31st August 2013, 00:28   #17840  |  Link
DoctorDub

I’m using Windows XP, SP3 to run BD Rebuilder 44.16 Tried to back up “Life of Pi” (NTSC). Got a “Job Completed” notation. ImgBurn said both burns (one to a Verbatim DVD-5 and one to a Maxell DVD+9) were successful but neither play on my LG BP 620 or Sony S350. I checked the BDMV folder in “Working” destination and saw that “index.bdmv” and “MovieObject.bdmv” appear as unknown applications. Are they supposed to be unknown applications? If not, what type of file should they be?
DoctorDub is offline   Reply With Quote