Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Hardware & Software > Software players

Old 13th April 2009, 19:21   #241  |  Link
TinTime

madshi, aspect ratios are still not (quite) handled correctly. I've got a 704x576 encode with a 16/9 ar that madVR scales to 1918x1080, not 1920x1080. VMR9 and Haali both scale correctly.

Here's a sample.

Thanks very much.
TinTime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th April 2009, 20:02   #242  |  Link
pitch.fr
Didée 4 President

Sorry My English isn't very well
Hello, very good job on the new renderer, but I find the latest version 0.4 less "smooth"
pitch.fr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th April 2009, 20:09   #243  |  Link
leeperry
Kid for Today

yep, I agree I found beta2 smoother...it takes more reseeks w/ Reclock to catch the VSYNC in beta3 & 4, but the smooth code is not there yet
leeperry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th April 2009, 20:16   #244  |  Link
KoD

True, I've just noticed jerky pans when playing a 480p xvid file. Frame decoding time is not an issue here, there must be something else that's causing these jerky pans.
KoD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th April 2009, 20:17   #245  |  Link
madshi
Registered Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by FoLLgoTT View Post
I'm really interested, because I never saw it outside of test patterns yet.
Then you haven't looked properly...

Since you mentioned the Germany My Fair Lady DVD, here's that DVD, enlarged to my PC display's native resolution of 1680x1050:

Left side is "SoftCubic50", right size "Lanczos8". The ringing you can see in the right side is not in the source at all. It's added by the Lanczos resampling algorithm. As you can see, I didn't have to search very long to find ringing. After all this is still the movie intro... Here are the full screenshots:

SoftCubic50
Lanczos8

Quote:
Originally Posted by TinTime View Post
Looks like they're copyright Peter Finzel Productions so you'd have to get his permission to distribute them.
Thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by midiboy View Post
Currently I do get lots of heavy stutter in ZoomPlayer when using the renderer though. (on secondary display with reclock) I am on a ATI radeon 4550 with 512MB of memory. I guess that card is not powerful enough, right ? I also tried disabling all quality settings but that did not change much.
Press Ctrl+J, then post your stats here. That may help us figuring out whether your GPU is fast enough or not.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark0077 View Post
Would madshi and beliyaal consider teaming up to integrate beliyaal's work on reducing judder, syncing frames etc, with the excellent levels conversion and more, work by madshi.
Beliyaal has done great work to improve smoothness with the MPC HC renderers. But I haven't even started looking into this kind of stuff yet. I also don't know if his tweaks would work with my renderer. Maybe yes, maybe no. My renderer eats a lot more GPU shader resources than the MPC HC renderers do. Maybe if I run into trouble with implementing smooth playback, I will ask Beliyaal to come on board. But I'm not sure if he wanted that, after all madVR is closed source and I want to keep it that way. But this is too early, anyway. As I said a lot of times already, I DON'T really want to talk about smooth motion playback yet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keiyakusha View Post
Can you add support for loading subtitles anytime soon or this is too much of work for now?
It's one of the many things still missing. I haven't decided on in which order I will tackle them. Everybody has his own priorities...

Quote:
Originally Posted by TinTime View Post
I've got a 704x576 encode with a 16/9 ar that madVR scales to 1918x1080, not 1920x1080.
Thanks, that's a simple rounding issue. Will be fixed in the next build.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pitch.fr View Post
Sorry My English isn't very well
Hello, very good job on the new renderer, but I find the latest version 0.4 less "smooth"
Again (and again and again) motion smoothness is not a thing I have really looked into yet. Did your GPU stats (see Ctrl+J), especially "average gpu rendering time" get worse with 0.4 compared to 0.3? That's a thing I would have to look into.
madshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th April 2009, 20:26   #246  |  Link
tetsuo55
MPC-HC Project Manager

Hi

I just tested v4 (did not try the older builds)
The bat file failed to install on my system (windows 7 32bit)

The 1:1 results for media my system can handle are okay, but as soon as any scaling is applied the video becomes a slideshow.

My specs:
AthlonXP 2600+ @ 2ghz
A7N8X Deluxe
ATI HD2400pro AGP
Windows 7
Catalyst 9.3

CPU% maxes out as soon a scaling is enabled
1:1 usage is between 30-80%
EVR-CP cpu usage is 10%

Screenshot of 1:1 stats:

Screenshot of scaled to 1920x1080:

due to no DXVA support i was unable to test anything above SD resolution (With overlay renderer my cpu is just fast enough for 1280x720)
tetsuo55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th April 2009, 20:39   #247  |  Link
madshi
Registered Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by tetsuo55 View Post
The bat file failed to install on my system (windows 7 32bit)
Did you get any specific error message?

Quote:
The 1:1 results for media my system can handle are okay, but as soon as any scaling is applied the video becomes a slideshow.

My specs:
AthlonXP 2600+ @ 2ghz
A7N8X Deluxe
ATI HD2400pro AGP
Windows 7
Catalyst 9.3

CPU% maxes out as soon a scaling is enabled
1:1 usage is between 30-80%
EVR-CP cpu usage is 10%
Not sure why you get so much higher CPU usage when scaling is enabled. For me CPU consumption does not change much if I enable/disable scaling. Could you please try 1:1 and then just zoom in one step (MPC HC numpad [9], IIRC)? Do you get the same high CPU consumption that way?

Quote:
Screenshot of 1:1 stats:
Screenshot of scaled to 1920x1080:
Wow, what a difference in gpu rendering times! Ok, the source seems to have a very small resolution. Of course that helps keeping rendering times down in 1:1 mode. "average gpu rendering time" is the most important and it's quite nice with 5ms in 1:1 mode. It needs to be smaller than the "movie frame interval" (40ms). However, in scaled mode your "average gpu rendering time" is going through the roof with almost 60ms! That's too much. It seems that your graphics card is not fast enough to do scaling to 1080p with full madVR quality options. You can turn down the quality a bit in the madVR settings dialog. Maybe that helps? Try lowering luma+chroma textures to 10bit. With a bit of luck that might already be enough to push "average gpu rendering time" down under 40ms.
madshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th April 2009, 20:49   #248  |  Link
mark0077

Using version 4, with ffdshow in the chain doing de-interlacing (if necessary) I get DVD Macrovision failed error playing backed up dvd's from hdd.

This was the reason I could never use Haali also, could never get rid of this error.
mark0077 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th April 2009, 21:43   #249  |  Link
Brazil2

Quote:
Originally Posted by madshi View Post
madVR 0.4 released

Code:
* fixed: aspect ratio was incorrect with some sources
I'm still having aspect ratio troubles with the two samples I've posted here.

The first sample (VC-1 in MKV) gives me the correct aspect ratio with the MPC-HC built-in decoder. I always got a wrong aspect ratio when the Microsoft decoder is used and it doesn't matter which splitter is used. The Arcsoft decoder doesn't want to connect even with the VC1tweak filter so I'm stuck to the MPC-HC decoder or the Microsoft one, but as you know the MPC-HC decoder is not working fine with your renderer for now.

Now I got different results with the Beyonce TS sample depending on which combination of splitter + decoder is used. So I've done more tests:

Splitter + Decoder = aspect ratio result

MPC-HC + MPC-HC = wrong
MPC-HC + Arcsoft = wrong
MPC-HC + CoreAVC = OK
MPC-HC + Divx7 = wrong

Arcsoft + MPC-HC = OK but lot of stuttering (+ the bug of the decoder)
Arcsoft + Arcsoft = OK
Arcsoft + CoreAVC = wrong
Arcsoft + Divx7 = doesn't connect

I don't have Haali installed and I don't plan to install it. My config is actually working fine for every use I have except some troubles with MadVR.
But I know it's a work in progress, I don't blame I only report. Good and impressive job anyway, thanks for that
Brazil2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th April 2009, 22:00   #250  |  Link
Egh

@madshi: 0.4v High CPU to some extend and also still gets only the refresh rate from the original monitor.

update on the refresh rate issue:

I found a way to reset it. Funny enough if you drop a new video to mpchc window then madVR will show proper Hz after reinitialisation. However, that doesn't happen if you just stop/restart the video. Needless to say that even if I reset the video, and then move to another monitor, it doesn't pick up the rate again.

Since 0.3v the behaviour has slightly changed now.
it seems the issue with secondary monitor is almost nailed!!!

It seems now there's no difference between primary and secondary monitor in terms of CPU consumption, only thing matters is what monitor the video has been initialized in!!! The following scenario is now valid: open an empty window on primary, move to secondary, drop a video into it -- no core maximisation ;P move the window back to primary -- maximisation is present again If I revert the order of monitors in this scenario and do it again, same thing happens.

To sum up, it is possible to use a workaround now, which is to force madVR to reinitialize on a different monitor. That apparently fixes now both refresh issue and CPU consumption. Only thing now is to make it work automatically )
Egh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th April 2009, 22:03   #251  |  Link
tetsuo55
MPC-HC Project Manager

Quote:
Did you get any specific error message?
Nope,it just flashes on the screen for a second and is gone.
Manually running the command from a admin command prompt works fine
Quote:
Not sure why you get so much higher CPU usage when scaling is enabled. For me CPU consumption does not change much if I enable/disable scaling. Could you please try 1:1 and then just zoom in one step (MPC HC numpad [9], IIRC)? Do you get the same high CPU consumption that way?
I did some more tests.
High CPU consumption is caused by the OSD stats(ctrl-J)

without ctrl-J cpu usage is always 35% regardless of scaling settings, retested with EVR-CP too and it's not as stale as with madvr, it hovers between 10 and 22% averaging around 15
EDIT: i also tested beliyaal's build and it gets an average of 25

Quote:
Wow, what a difference in gpu rendering times! Ok, the source seems to have a very small resolution. Of course that helps keeping rendering times down in 1:1 mode. "average gpu rendering time" is the most important and it's quite nice with 5ms in 1:1 mode. It needs to be smaller than the "movie frame interval" (40ms). However, in scaled mode your "average gpu rendering time" is going through the roof with almost 60ms! That's too much. It seems that your graphics card is not fast enough to do scaling to 1080p with full madVR quality options. You can turn down the quality a bit in the madVR settings dialog. Maybe that helps? Try lowering luma+chroma textures to 10bit. With a bit of luck that might already be enough to push "average gpu rendering time" down under 40ms.
With everything disabled i get +/- 50ms

Last edited by tetsuo55; 13th April 2009 at 22:08.
tetsuo55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th April 2009, 22:15   #252  |  Link
ericgur

MadVR 0.4 crash + minor bug

Hi,
First, I'd like to thank you for your iniative creating MadVR.
I wrote a VR for internal company use a year ago and I know the pains....

I came into 2 issues:
When pressing CTRL+ALT+DEL (going into the screen where you can lock your computer or start task manager) and coming back to the desktop, the player crashes. Doesn't matter if in full screen or not. You should check you have a valid D3D device before the call to pd3dDevice->Present().

something like (similar code was found in direct show sample code from Windows SDK):
Code:

HRESULT hr = pd3dDevice->TestCooperativeLevel();

//device not ready!
    if (hr != D3D_OK)
    {
        // If the device was lost, do not render until we get it back
        if (D3DERR_DEVICELOST == hr || D3DERR_DRIVERINTERNALERROR == hr)
        {
            return E_FAIL;
        }

// Check if the device needs to be reset.
        if( D3DERR_DEVICENOTRESET == hr )
        {
            // Reset the D3D environment
            DestroyD3D9();
            hr = InitializeD3D9();
            if (FAILED(hr))
                return hr;

hr = pd3dDevice->TestCooperativeLevel();
            if (FAILED(hr))
                return hr;
        }
        else
        {
            ErrMsg("D3D device reported an internal error!\n"
                "Quiting application.\n");
            exit(hr);
        }
    }
Loosing the D3D device can occur as a result of screen savers or when the monitor is tuned off by the VGA driver as well.

The other issue is minor, when MadVR is first launched, no setting are set in the DS property page. Maybe the default scaling algorithm should be set.

My setup
Vista 64 SP1
ZoomPlayer

Last edited by ericgur; 13th April 2009 at 22:26. Reason: updated setup
ericgur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th April 2009, 00:18   #253  |  Link
vucloutr

Quote:
Did your GPU stats (see Ctrl+J), especially "average gpu rendering time" get worse with 0.4 compared to 0.3? That's a thing I would have to look into.
Well for the 720p files I checked already "max gpu rendering time" -> "resample textures" (which was "update textures" before?)
has gone up to ~4ms from ~2ms before but "average gpu rendering time" is practically as good as with madVR 0.3.
vucloutr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th April 2009, 00:27   #254  |  Link
yesgrey

Quote:
Originally Posted by leeperry View Post
I wonder if anyone tried to create LUT's w/ custom primaries coordinates, coz I'm getting strange results...even the stock LUT's are way too dark, but yesgrey is on the case
Quote:
So is madVR not handling the 3dlut file correctly? yesgrey3, can you confirm that?
There is no problem with madVR nor with cr3dlut. leeperry was just using a custom output gamma curve different from the input gamma curve.
For now all users should use the same gamma curves for input and output. This is a subject that should be discussed carefully, so let's wait I have the time for starting the cr3dlut thread...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keiyakusha View Post
madshi
Can you add support for loading subtitles anytime soon or this is too much of work for now?
Quote:
It's one of the many things still missing. I haven't decided on in which order I will tackle them. Everybody has his own priorities...
I also think it would be good adding subtitles rendering for madVR, but I think its priority should be lower than smoothing playing (madshi, I'm not discussing IT, just setting its priority ). Currently we can use Vobsub or ffdshow's subtitle renderer.
yesgrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th April 2009, 01:44   #255  |  Link
leeperry
Kid for Today

Quote:
Originally Posted by yesgrey3 View Post
There is no problem with madVR nor with cr3dlut. leeperry was just using a custom output gamma curve different from the input gamma curve.
For now all users should use the same gamma curves for input and output. This is a subject that should be discussed carefully, so let's wait I have the time for starting the cr3dlut thread...
well, the same 16LUT gives different results in t3dlut() and MVR...both different from ddcc(), and no matter what I do it's too green compared to ddcc()

I got a test rec709 MKV(made by Kazuya), I will put it through ddcc()/t3dlut()/MVR tomorrow : http://rapidshare.com/files/221027650/rec709.mkv.html

anyway, I've watched a 2H movie w/ Reclock in 48Hz, the colorimetry was a bit off but it was hell smooth and very sharp, way to go!

OTOH some BD's seem very hard to stabilize w/ CoreAVC+all my PP, but as soon as I turn CUDA on...hell breaks loose, I get tearing at the third quarter bottom of the screen(and reseeking does not help).

do any of the stats look alarming? it plays fine in HR(RGB32).

Last edited by leeperry; 14th April 2009 at 03:23.
Old 14th April 2009, 01:59   #256  |  Link
Malow
In bytes we trust

an 9800GT Pci-E 2.0 @ 16x is not capable of output 60fps video at 1920x1200 screen?

wen using BOB on interlaced material, the playback is jerky. but if not viewing in fullscreen (resizing the window to 75% of display) the playback is smooth.

this happens with madVR and haali renderer... only crappy overlay can play full-hd video at 60fps...
Malow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th April 2009, 02:08   #257  |  Link
leeperry
Kid for Today

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malow View Post
wen using BOB on interlaced material, the playback is jerky. but if not viewing in fullscreen (resizing the window to 75% of display) the playback is smooth.

this happens with madVR and haali renderer... only crappy overlay can play full-hd video at 60fps...
read up the last pages of the HR thread, someone mentioned that the latest HR build stutters badly on 60fps and that some older builds work fine. I tried it, and that's a fact!
Old 14th April 2009, 03:51   #258  |  Link
Shinigami-Sama
Solaris: burnt by the Sun

I'm getting some weirdness with Dark_Shikari's 1080p Big buck bunny
click

mitchel resizer

i7 920
GTX 280

win7
had to register the ax myself as well

Last edited by Shinigami-Sama; 14th April 2009 at 03:53.
Shinigami-Sama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th April 2009, 06:19   #259  |  Link
Snowknight26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shinigami-Sama View Post
I'm getting some weirdness with Dark_Shikari's 1080p Big buck bunny
click
MPC Video Decoder issue.
Snowknight26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th April 2009, 06:21   #260  |  Link
Shinigami-Sama
Solaris: burnt by the Sun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowknight26 View Post
MPC Video Decoder issue.
was working last time I played it
Shinigami-Sama is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
direct compute, dithering, error diffusion, madvr, ngu, nnedi3, quality, renderer, scaling, uhd upscaling, upsampling