Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Video Encoding > MPEG-4 Encoder GUIs

Old 20th September 2008, 05:19   #1  |  Link
Crono141

[autoMKV] Quality DVD ripping.

I know everybody has their own opinion as to what "best" encoding settings to use, but I'm fairly noobish as to what avs filters and techniques do what, and how to get the best quality DVD rip without sacrificing excessive disk space.

So I pose this question. I want to rip DVD's to wmv 5.1 surround, to getting the best quality possible without going overboard on disk space. Overboard, in my opinion, is pushing 2.5 gig for a 2 hour movie. Biggest thing I'm trying to avoid is blocky video chuncks in smokey and hazey scenes.

Also, and I think this is a product of how windows processes WMV, it seems most of my WMV encodes come out being washed out. Blacks look grey, etc. Any help on this front would be appreciated.

I don't mean this to be a thread all about how I want it either. I think it would be nice to have a dedicated thread about different methods of getting quality encodes.

Crono141 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st September 2008, 16:05   #2  |  Link
Crono141

I guess I'll start, with what I believe to be the best solution. This was discovered after days of trial and error.

For WMV with 5.1, I use autocrop with unlimited file size, 1 pass cq vc1 profile, and NO FILTERS. Playing with the various filters, I found that it was they that were messing up with blocky smoke. I use 97 percent quality on the 1 pass profile, and it gets me an acceptable file size.
Old 22nd September 2008, 02:37   #3  |  Link
Avenger007
Bruce Wayne

WMV sucks.
Make the switch to x264 and I guarantee people will flock to this thread to help you determine what's "best".
Also, x264 Psy-RDO/Psy-trellis should help with avoiding blocky video chunks in smokey and hazy scenes.
For starters, try MeGUI's (CRF) 1-pass Unrestricted HQ or Extra Quality profiles if you want high quality encodes.
Avenger007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th September 2008, 04:23   #4  |  Link
Crono141

Unfortunately, to maintain my home media infrastructure (Vista with 2 360's) I have not choice but to use WMV. Yes, I am aware that x264 is better, but Media Center Extenders don't support it natively, and Transcode 360 doesn't bring surround sound with it.
Old 24th September 2008, 04:31   #5  |  Link
RunningSkittle
Skittle

The 360 can play h264 files
RunningSkittle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th September 2008, 23:00   #6  |  Link
Nightshiver
Quality Freak

http://www.xbox.com/en-us/support/sy...ackfaq.htm#avi

yar
Nightshiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th September 2008, 01:41   #7  |  Link
Crono141

Yes, but not in Media Center Extender Mode. Hence, WMV.
Old 25th September 2008, 05:44   #8  |  Link
chappy16775

For DVD conversion I go with CRF 18 using AutoMKV. Movies about 2.5GB long.
chappy16775 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
automkv, quality