Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > (HD) DVD, Blu-ray & (S)VCD > DVD & BD Rebuilder

Old 15th October 2016, 13:02   #25021  |  Link
Ch3vr0n

it's not up to us to say or question if he should or shouldn't do the thing he wants to do, the way he wants to do it. That's up to him.
Ch3vr0n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th October 2016, 13:06   #25022  |  Link
jdobbs

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrVideo View Post
The trailer was only being used because it was small, which means it doesn't take long to import. The real file is 22GB, so it takes too long when doing menu creation tests. I didn't think about the threshold because the IMPORT threshold is 15 and it is ignored. I'm able to import two < 15 min files without any issues.

That fixed that issue. But, I expected BD-RB to re-encode the selected file, and it did. As pointed out, I do not want any re-encoding to take place. The input files are to be used as is.

So, this means I'm back to Full Backup mode and stopping after the input stage. That means I will have to have at least two files on the menu. In this case, the feature and a trailer.

I am looking forward to the future where one item will be allowed to have a menu created.
if you don't want it reencoded, then set the option to force no encoding. It isn't a "bug" when you refuse to read the documentation (as little as there is).

As for "IMPORT threshold is 15 and it is ignored", please note the highlighted info in the description:
Code:
IMPORT_THRESHOLD=n	n = Threshold size (in minutes), default=15, of BD/DVD titles listed for IMPORT selection
Why in the world would I put a time threshold of an individual file when you are specifically selecting it? BDs and DVDs have lots of small extraneous titles, and the threshold is there to save you the time of reviewing them all, some of which may consist of no more than a single frame.

Last edited by jdobbs; 15th October 2016 at 19:36.
jdobbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th October 2016, 13:54   #25023  |  Link
varekai

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ch3vr0n View Post
it's not up to us to say or question if he should or shouldn't do the thing he wants to do, the way he wants to do it. That's up to him.
Hi there, thought I'd see you sooner or later! lol
OK, to each his own... but it looks like MrVideo having more trouble than fun, and it's supposed to be fun being creative.
varekai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th October 2016, 14:07   #25024  |  Link
Ch3vr0n

You know what they say. 'No pain, no gain'. Note everything creative is easy :-)

Verstuurd vanaf mijn Nexus 6P met Tapatalk

Last edited by Ch3vr0n; 15th October 2016 at 21:01.
Ch3vr0n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th October 2016, 15:10   #25025  |  Link
veggav

When using QUICK_CRF, the higher the number the smaller the extras file size? Or is it the other way around?
veggav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th October 2016, 15:25   #25026  |  Link
jdobbs

Quote:
Originally Posted by veggav View Post
When using QUICK_CRF, the higher the number the smaller the extras file size? Or is it the other way around?
The first way. Smaller numbers mean higher quality and bigger file size, larger numbers mean lower quality and smaller file size.

Last edited by jdobbs; 15th October 2016 at 15:27.
Old 15th October 2016, 19:35   #25027  |  Link
MrVideo

Quote:
Originally Posted by varekai View Post
Pardon me, but why go through all this for a BD-title you can buy for 10 bucks?
I have all three of the Lord of the Rings Extended editions. The problem with each one is that the movie is spread over two discs. I've re-encoded and edited th two parts together to make a single extended feature.

That is what is being authored to a disc. Then it will be added to the rest of the discs in the movie's set.
MrVideo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th October 2016, 19:37   #25028  |  Link
jdobbs

Quote:
I have all three of the Lord of the Rings Extended editions. The problem with each one is that the movie is spread over two discs. I've re-encoded and edited th two parts together to make a single extended feature.

That is what is being authored to a disc. Then it will be added to the rest of the discs in the movie's set.
I understand. I've done similar combinations myself.
Old 15th October 2016, 19:49   #25029  |  Link
MrVideo

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdobbs View Post
if you don't want it reencoded, then set the option to force no encoding. It isn't a "bug" when you refuse to read the documentation (as little as there is).
Look at the INI file that I posted in a previous posting. It is set to 1, but is being ignored. I even have it in the main BDREBUILDER.INI, so that every job has that setting.

Here is the log file:
Code:
[20:06:15] Importing MKV: THE_LORD_OF_THE_RINGS-THE_FELLOWSHIP_OF_THE_RING-OFFICIAL_TRAILER_DD20
  - Collecting audio/video streams from source...
  - Building pseudo-BD source structure...
[20:06:23] Video import completed successfully.
----------------------
[10/14/16] BD Rebuilder v0.50.18
[20:06:51] Source:  THE_LORD_OF_THE_RINGS-THE_FELLOWSHIP_OF_THE_RING-OFFICIAL_TRAILER_DD20
  - Input BD size: 0.07 GB
  - Approximate total content: [00:02:54.174]
  - Target BD size: 22.95 GB
  - Windows Version: 5.2 [3790]
  - Quick-Play Reauthoring mode enabled
  - Auto Quality: Good (Very Fast), ABR
  - Decoding/Frame serving: X264/LAVF
  - Audio Settings: AC3=0 DTS=0 HD=0 Kbs=640
[20:06:51] PHASE ONE, Encoding
 - [20:06:51] Processing: VID_00000 (1 of 1)
 - [20:06:51] Extracting A/V streams [VID_00000]
 - [20:06:57] Reencoding video [VID_00000]
   - Source Video: MPEG-4 (AVC), 1280x720
   - Rate/Length: 23.976fps, 4,176 frames
   - Bitrate: 35,000 Kbs
 - [20:06:57] Reencoding: VID_00000, Pass 1 of 1
[20:07:16]PHASE ONE aborted by user request
Quote:
As for "IMPORT threshold is 15 and it is ignored", please note the highlighted info in the description:
Code:
IMPORT_THRESHOLD=n	n = Threshold size (in minutes), default=15, of BD/DVD titles listed for IMPORT selection
Why in the world would I put a time threshold of an individual file when you are specifically selecting it? BDs and DVDs have lots of small extraneous titles, and the threshold is there to save you the time of reviewing them all, some of which may consist of no more than a single frame.
Sorry, but since that setting is part of the main INI file, I never looked to see if it was in the HIDDEN file, as I didn't expect it to be there. That is because the first line of the HIDDEN file says that the following is a list of options that can be added to the main file. So, I never went looking for a description of it.

Live and learn.

Last edited by MrVideo; 15th October 2016 at 20:30. Reason: Added log
Old 15th October 2016, 20:00   #25030  |  Link
MrVideo

Quote:
Originally Posted by varekai View Post
Hi there, thought I'd see you sooner or later! lol
OK, to each his own... but it looks like MrVideo having more trouble than fun, and it's supposed to be fun being creative.
It is a learning curve. Things are definitely getting there. Try doing real authoring with Scenarist. That is a real PITA, hence I do not use it. I started to. BD-RB is a lot easier to use to make a simple menu of selectable items. I do not need anything fancy. In most cases I will be making Blu-rays that contain multiple episodes, like Legend of the Seeker, which was only released on DVD (ABC Studios has a habit of pretty much only releasing TV shows on DVD). Because I have the episodes as 35 Mbps MPEG-2 files (from the syndicated sat feeds), I've recoded to H.264 and now assembling the episodes on Blu-ray. I've been waiting for the right tool to come along, and BD-RB is it.

The only piece of the puzzle to yet arrive is the ability to make a menu only containing a single imported MKV file. So, for this run, I'm adding a trailer of the movie to each disc. When I get to the Hobbit trilogy, maybe it will be available.
Old 15th October 2016, 20:24   #25031  |  Link
veggav

Quote:
The first way. Smaller numbers mean higher quality and bigger file size, larger numbers mean lower quality and smaller file size.

Thank you
veggav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th October 2016, 21:35   #25032  |  Link
jdobbs

Quote:
Quote:

Thank you
Yeah. I know it sounds a little backwards. But CRF is a more sophisticated implementation of constant quantizer settings. Increasing the quantization factor reduces filesize while increasing the risk of distortion.
Old 15th October 2016, 21:38   #25033  |  Link
jdobbs

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrVideo
Look at the INI file that I posted in a previous posting. It is set to 1, but is being ignored. I even have it in the main BDREBUILDER.INI, so that every job has that setting.
Hmm... as mentioned before, that means that BD-RB (for some reason) thinks the source isn't compliant. I may have to introduce a new hidden option that tells it "Really, I know what I'm doing... don't reencode, dumbass."

1. Is there anything in the PSEUDO folder? Resizing to BD standards can force encoding.
2. Is your output set to DVD-5/9. If so, reencoding is required because of the lower maximum bitrate for DVD media.

Last edited by jdobbs; 15th October 2016 at 21:47.
Old 15th October 2016, 21:56   #25034  |  Link
jdobbs

@MrVideo

Ok. I looked at the code, and any source that has a PSEUDO folder is forced into encoding. So in order to trick it into not knowing it's an import, after you import, delete the PSEUDO folder (assuming it is empty), and then reopen it with BD-RB. The should allow the FORCE_NOENCODE to take effect (assuming no other reason exists like forced resizing to meet standards).

I'll look at how much work it might be to examine everything and see if I can delete it myself. But the problem is that there are SO MANY things that have to be checked (bitrates, maximums, GOP limitations, levels, b-frame counts, etc) that I'm not sure I want to go through all that. The bottom line is that you just can't trust an imported source to be compliant.

Last edited by jdobbs; 15th October 2016 at 22:06.
Old 15th October 2016, 22:46   #25035  |  Link
worknstiff

I always move the BD folder from the PSEUDO folder anyhow. I think when BD_Rebuilder first started creating quick play BD's with simple menu's, I kept having problems with it creating an extra bogus menu entry probably for the menu creation. I started using a custom size for the BD compilation of 50,000 to make sure it didn't re-encode the 4 episode m2ts video files. After it created the BD, I would then move it from the work folder drive back onto the drive I use for the source and do a full backup resized for a BD25 disk. I found that I could re-edit the quick play menu to remove the bogus entry and also the compilation would be far more accurate with the size limits I specified. Also I had no surprises with the disk structure being playable after spending hours to re-encode a broken menu or an episode in the wrong order. I even had some episodes from a series disk that only had 2 episodes on the final disk and I would use BD_Rebuilder to do only the oversized episodes to a custom size to get them to be comparable to some episodes from a more compressed disk before using them on a 4 episode BD disk. BD_Rebuilder has really become a great video authoring tool for my movie hobby. Many thanks to jdobbs for all the hard work. I wish there was some way I could help support it's development more.
worknstiff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th October 2016, 02:08   #25036  |  Link
MrVideo

@jdobbs:

This whole exercise has come about in order to try and get a menu created for a single import file. Might it be easier to just allow creation of a menu in Full Backup mode, if the option to create a menu with only one item is set to 1? Because then there will be zero recoding because an actual backup will not be done. The structure that is created after importing, and menu editing, is where I stop and burn the contents of the BDMV/CERTIFICATE directories.

I suspect that doing it this way will be a whole lot less work than doing any of the other things you mentioned above.
Old 16th October 2016, 03:43   #25037  |  Link
jdobbs

Quote:
@jdobbs:

This whole exercise has come about in order to try and get a menu created for a single import file. Might it be easier to just allow creation of a menu in Full Backup mode, if the option to create a menu with only one item is set to 1? Because then there will be zero recoding because an actual backup will not be done. The structure that is created after importing, and menu editing, is where I stop and burn the contents of the BDMV/CERTIFICATE directories.

I suspect that doing it this way will be a whole lot less work than doing any of the other things you mentioned above.
If you are creating a new menu, then by definition it isn't "Full Backup Mode". That pretty much defines the difference between Full-Backup Mode and Quick-Play Backup mode.

I'll look at allowing menu creation for single file imports.
Old 16th October 2016, 08:33   #25038  |  Link
MrVideo

Quote:
If you are creating a new menu, then by definition it isn't "Full Backup Mode". That pretty much defines the difference between Full-Backup Mode and Quick-Play Backup mode.
Then I'm confused by the operation. Full Backup Mode is the only mode that allows for importing of various types of single video files. At that time, you are then provided the menu editing GUI. In Quick-Play Backup mode, you are not allowed to import files at all. The import selection is grayed out.

So, because of that, I use Full Backup mode in order to import the MKV files that I want on the disc. I then edit the menu contents and it then imports the files and builds the menu. After which it stops. I then burn that BDMV structure. I do not do the backup, as that would recode all of the files. Plus, since what I want is already in the BDMV structure, I do not have to do the backup.
Quote:
I'll look at allowing menu creation for single file imports.
Thanks.
Old 16th October 2016, 12:26   #25039  |  Link
gonca

Quote:
Full Backup Mode is the only mode that allows for importing of various types of single video files.
I'm importing MKVs right now and I believe the mode I am in is alternate movie only
I think that Backup Mode and Import function separately
gonca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th October 2016, 12:58   #25040  |  Link
MrVideo

Quote:
Originally Posted by gonca View Post
I think that Backup Mode and Import function separately
It is hard to think that they function separately, when the Import option is grayed out when you are not in Full Backup mode.