Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Hardware & Software > Software players

Old 17th December 2016, 19:41   #41561  |  Link
Oguignant

Quote:
Originally Posted by har3inger View Post
Most TV's/players nowadays implement something called digital noise removal, which smooth over your image to varying degrees and remove grain, often at the cost of removing detail at the same time.

madvr doesn't currently have anything that removes grain from images. At least not yet. There should be custom scripts out there that do it that may or may not work together with madvr.
Ok! Thks
Someone who has a script to share?

Last edited by Oguignant; 17th December 2016 at 20:10.
Oguignant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th December 2016, 21:14   #41562  |  Link
Asmodian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oguignant View Post
Ok! Thks
Someone who has a script to share?
Denoising is a difficult problem and I have still not found a good script that can denoise in real time without damaging quality a lot.

Removing strong film grain, as found in older movies, with real time denoisers also removes most of the texture detail making skin and cloth look terrible. There is a reason the remaster left the grain in.

If you like a smoother look and don't mind the loss of texture detail this is one area where the dedicated hardware in modern TVs does a very good job compared to currently available software tools.
Old 17th December 2016, 21:23   #41563  |  Link
CruNcher

Depends on how advanced the Dedicated Hardware IP is they can totally beat Software, especially in balance terms on Denoising Quality/Performance/Power
Motion Compensated Denoising can be very efficient overall and actually is the most efficient when implemented in Dedicated Hardware there was also a nice new evaluation of it's Performance based on HEVC actually.

It is about Time

Join the Revolution NOW before it is to Late !

http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?t=168004

Last edited by CruNcher; 17th December 2016 at 21:40.
CruNcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th December 2016, 23:23   #41564  |  Link
Oguignant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asmodian View Post
Denoising is a difficult problem and I have still not found a good script that can denoise in real time without damaging quality a lot.

Removing strong film grain, as found in older movies, with real time denoisers also removes most of the texture detail making skin and cloth look terrible. There is a reason the remaster left the grain in.

If you like a smoother look and don't mind the loss of texture detail this is one area where the dedicated hardware in modern TVs does a very good job compared to currently available software tools.
On my tv, when I use 4k 60mhz resolution per hdmi, the noise reduction and mpeg noise reduction are disabled. I do not know why.

The noise reduction by nvidia works only if i choose nvidia cuvid as hardware decoder?

In the panel of nvidia, I always use the options of noise reduction and edge enhancement, by the media player. And Use inverse telecine enabled. It's okay like this? Or should I enable it to do it nvidia?

Last edited by Oguignant; 17th December 2016 at 23:42.
Old 18th December 2016, 00:06   #41565  |  Link
Magik Mark

Guys

Made some experiments.

When in exclusive mode I get frame drops every 3minutes. However, this is corrected using reclock
When I'm out of FSE no frame drops regardless which audio renderer is being utilized as long as display refresh rate is the same or very close from that of the video's

Why is frame drops happening in FSE even if the refresh rate of the display is the same of that of the video? Is there a setting that can be tweaked. I'll be using a x64 player and reclock is only x86
Old 18th December 2016, 00:39   #41566  |  Link
Georgel
Visual Novel Dev.

@madshi

Can we get a force 200% scaling for Jinc in image upscaling?

After about 100 tests I came to the conclusion that anything but Jinc will add a bit of grain to edges while watching anime.

Jinc seems the most rounded, cleanest algorithm, but I want to force a 200% upscaling still using Jinc to get the most out of it. NNEDI and NGU work very well with human and life-like content, but not with anime... At least not in my tests / setup...
Georgel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th December 2016, 01:04   #41567  |  Link
Oguignant

Mpc-hc Internal subtitle render

Loses image quality if I use the internal subtitle rendering of mpc-hc? Which one should I use anyway?
Old 18th December 2016, 01:05   #41568  |  Link
sneaker_ger

Quote:
Loses image quality if I use the internal subtitle rendering of mpc-hc?
No, not at all.
sneaker_ger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th December 2016, 01:08   #41569  |  Link
Oguignant

Quote:
Originally Posted by sneaker_ger View Post
No, not at all.
And performance?
Old 18th December 2016, 01:10   #41570  |  Link
sneaker_ger

Compared to no subtitles? Very little.
Compared to other subtitle renderers? Depends but does not matter mostly. Sometimes on complex ASS scripts can be slower/faster than other renderers. It is usually not worth to use other subtitle renderer.
sneaker_ger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th December 2016, 01:41   #41571  |  Link
Georgel
Visual Novel Dev.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sneaker_ger View Post
Compared to no subtitles? Very little.
Compared to other subtitle renderers? Depends but does not matter mostly. Sometimes on complex ASS scripts can be slower/faster than other renderers. It is usually not worth to use other subtitle renderer.
XYsub seems to do some tricks better than the internal renderer, but no noticeable performance difference so far.

(Especially for Anime and floating text over the image, like translated signs, XySub seems to do things a bit better than the internal renderer. )
Old 18th December 2016, 01:50   #41572  |  Link
huhn

xy subfilter and assfilter mod are using the "new subtitle interface" if you care about correct colors in subtitles than this is needed.

rendering complex subtitles at UHD is kind of impossible without assfilter mod.
huhn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th December 2016, 02:18   #41573  |  Link
Oguignant

Quote:
Originally Posted by huhn View Post
xy subfilter and assfilter mod are using the "new subtitle interface" if you care about correct colors in subtitles than this is needed.

Thks, I appreciate the help. It's my weekend of "learning to use madvr"
Old 18th December 2016, 02:29   #41574  |  Link
Asmodian

Quote:
On my tv, when I use 4k 60mhz resolution per hdmi, the noise reduction and mpeg noise reduction are disabled. I do not know why.

The noise reduction by nvidia works only if i choose nvidia cuvid as hardware decoder?

In the panel of nvidia, I always use the options of noise reduction and edge enhancement, by the media player. And Use inverse telecine enabled. It's okay like this? Or should I enable it to do it nvidia?
I don't have much experiance with those features, sorry. I always disable them. I am not interested in real time noise reduction and believe the resulting picture is usually worse than without it.

madVR will bypass all of Nvidia's video (damage) algorithms unless using DXVA2 decoding, I am not sure about CUVID. You can try turning on denoising in Nvidia's control panel to see if you like the resulting picture more.

Quote:
I really like assfilter mod. It has been working perfectly for me and I appreciate the performance and that the correct calibration is applied to subtitles. It did help with some issues I had with xysubfilter and UHD subtitles.
Old 18th December 2016, 02:39   #41575  |  Link
Georgel
Visual Novel Dev.

Is it possible to use madVR on a very noisy source to smooth out the noise but keep sharpness on edges?

Something like watching horriblesubs rips which are TV rips, and are very very noisy but to at least lower the noise but keep edges clean (?)
Old 18th December 2016, 02:39   #41576  |  Link
Oguignant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asmodian View Post
I don't have much experiance with those features, sorry. I always disable them. I am not interested in real time noise reduction and believe the resulting picture is usually worse than without it.

madVR will bypass all of Nvidia's video (damage) algorithms unless using DXVA2 decoding, I am not sure about CUVID. You can try turning on denoising in Nvidia's control panel to see if you like the resulting picture more.

I really like assfilter mod. It has been working perfectly for me and I appreciate the performance and that the correct calibration is applied to subtitles. It did help with some issues I had with xysubfilter and UHD subtitles.
I enabled them and saw no difference. So I leave them disabled. Only activate "Use inverse telecine".

For now I will continue to use internal subtitle render. Work fine for me. I have very little uhd content (only 10 or 15 uhd movies, and almost 400 fhd) I do not find where to download uhd content from torrent.

Note: I learned how to use the profiles. Wow surprisingly helpful.

Last edited by Oguignant; 18th December 2016 at 02:42.
Old 18th December 2016, 02:44   #41577  |  Link
huhn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Georgel View Post
Is it possible to use madVR on a very noisy source to smooth out the noise but keep sharpness on edges?

Something like watching horriblesubs rips which are TV rips, and are very very noisy but to at least lower the noise but keep edges clean (?)
these are not TV rip (forum rules) and they are not noisy and if there is noisy there is a reason for that.
huhn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th December 2016, 03:15   #41578  |  Link
Georgel
Visual Novel Dev.

Quote:
these are not TV rip (forum rules) and they are not noisy and if there is noisy there is a reason for that.
Was using it as an example since I avoid watching anything like a TV rip (better buy Blu Rays for anime that you really love), but there are series where the whole series has a bit of grain / noise over that I would still want to try and filter out.
Old 18th December 2016, 03:32   #41579  |  Link
plasma

Quote:
Originally Posted by Georgel View Post
Was using it as an example since I avoid watching anything like a TV rip (better buy Blu Rays for anime that you really love), but there are series where the whole series has a bit of grain / noise over that I would still want to try and filter out.
Use ffdshow raw video filter as external filter under mpc hc. It renders the image before madvr. It has some decent denoising option.

After you denoised the image with its options you can use the madvr settings such as nnedi3, edge thinning and (very little adaptive sharpen). ngu can amplify input artefacts
plasma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th December 2016, 08:47   #41580  |  Link
Oguignant

Hdr passthrough

The hdr passthrough option does not work yet? My TV (lg oled 65ef9500) when it detects HDR content, activates HDR Mode (netflix, anazon, and local playback). But not with madvr. Why?

Tags
direct compute, dithering, error diffusion, madvr, ngu, nnedi3, quality, renderer, scaling, uhd upscaling, upsampling