Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Hardware & Software > Software players

Old 13th July 2015, 21:48   #31761  |  Link
MistahBonzai

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warner306 View Post
I am getting presentation glitches when using SuperRes or FineSharp under Upscaling Refinement. madVR v0.88.16 had no such problems.
Same here. Just reverted to v0.88.16 and problem gone. Also had occasional long present times. However the glitches didn't seem to align with difficult video sections or jumps in GPU useage. Going back to v0.88.17 32-bit and investigate some more.
AMD HD7850
intel i7 3770
Windows 7 64-bit with sp-1
Display is 1080p 10 bpp
MistahBonzai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th July 2015, 21:53   #31762  |  Link
madshi
Registered Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6ari8 View Post
Sorry about that. More details:

System: Alienware M14x R2, Intel i7-3720QM, 16GB RAM, NVIDIA GeForce GT 650M 2GB + Intel HD Graphics 4000, Windows 10TP 10166.

The issue seems to be only affecting D3D11 and is more pronounced in exclusive mode. It did not occur since you introduced D3D11 until now. I missed the madVR8816b test build so I just tried it and it does have the issue. However, builds up to v0.88.16 did not have this.

I don't think you can see what's wrong from looking at still screenshots but I took some.

I recorded a video that I hope can show the issue better here:
http://usersfiles.com/008uiezqcji8
Now *that's* what I call a detailed bug report...

Yeah, that doesn't look too good. It's bad that no problems are reported in the OSD, but it still stutters. What happens if you show the madVR seekbar in exclusive mode instead of activating the Ctrl+J OSD? Same stuttering? I suppose you're rendering on the NVidia? What happens if you render on the Intel instead?

Quote:
I am getting presentation glitches when using SuperRes or FineSharp under Upscaling Refinement. madVR v0.88.16 had no such problems.

720p -> 1080p
D3D11
Present frame for every v-sync
Rendering queue: 36-38 ms

This problem is present with MPC-BE and DSPlayer. SuperRes is working harder with the AR filter. But what about FineSharp? Has performance simply degraded?
Quote:
Originally Posted by MistahBonzai View Post
Same here. Just reverted to v0.88.16 and problem gone.
FineSharp should not be any slower. Does the same problem also occur with this slightly older test build?

http://madshi.net/madVR8816b.rar

Quote:
Originally Posted by mogli View Post
Is 'delay playback start until queue is full' supposed to work after resuming from a paused video? If so it doesn't seem to work anymore.
If you pause video, the queues should be all full all the time. So if you resume from paused state, there's no need to wait. Or are the queues not full when you resume playback, for some weird reason?
madshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th July 2015, 22:30   #31763  |  Link
Warner306

Quote:
Originally Posted by madshi View Post
FineSharp should not be any slower. Does the same problem also occur with this slightly older test build?

Using this test build, I am able to use FineSharp Upscaling Refinement once again without presentation glitches. You have broken something that impacts FineSharp. But SuperRes remains too demanding for my system using my previous settings.

I prefer the look of SuperRes, so I will have to do some testing with other settings to see if I can accommodate one pass after upscaling.
Warner306 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th July 2015, 00:48   #31764  |  Link
XMonarchY

The pause/resume stuttering was fixed for me with the latest release! Yey! I no longer have to exit Exclusive Fullscreen Mode after pausing playback to resume it without stutters.

I do have a somewhat separate question. I noticed in the very latest LAV Video Filter/Decoder, there is a new option for RGB Output levels. There used to be only 2 options - TV (16-235) and PC (0-255), but now there is the Untouched (same as input) option. My PC/GPU, TV, madVR, and 3DLUT are all configured to 0-255, but I still wonder whether Untouched (same as input) option would be of any benefit..?

Another thing I noticed is that my TV is set to 12bit color depth via NVidia CP, madVR is set to 10bit+, ctrl+J menu shows D3D11 exclusive (10bit), but right under it I get "h264, 8bit, 4:2:0 - NV12, 8bit, 4:2:0". Is that how it should be or is my LAV Filter/Decoder (or something else) not configured correctly? I have all LAV Filter/Decoder output formats ticked/enabled except for AYUV.
Old 14th July 2015, 01:40   #31765  |  Link
Ver Greeneyes

Quote:
Originally Posted by XMonarchY View Post
I noticed in the very latest LAV Video Filter/Decoder, there is a new option for RGB Output levels. There used to be only 2 options - TV (16-235) and PC (0-255), but now there is the Untouched (same as input) option.
That has been around for a very long time. You must have been using an ancient version before if you didn't have it. I think it makes sense to use Untouched if it's feeding into madVR, since this will ensure that madVR gets the original output, and not something that LAV has expanded/compressed and dithered. Having said that, it probably doesn't matter at all, since LAV shouldn't be doing the YUV -> RGB conversion in the first place. It should be giving madVR the YUV signal.
Ver Greeneyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th July 2015, 02:53   #31766  |  Link
MistahBonzai

Quote:

Sorry, false alarm. Problem has resolved itself - FM? Could be Anyway, shutdown madVR and overwrote .16 with .16b. Looked fine - no glitches. Uninstalled .16b and installed .17. Still no presentation glitches.

All I can offer is that I did reboot (Windows 7 64-bit) before reverting back to .16 on the first go round . In hindsight I should have rebooted before reverting from .17 to .16. Sometimes after testing many MadVR settings on a given video odd behaviour will occur and I reboot without further consideration to restore performance to normal.
Old 14th July 2015, 04:11   #31767  |  Link
James Freeman

Quote:
That's not a crash report, but a debug log. Debug logs are useless for crashes. What I need is the crash report.
Sorry about that, never had to use this feature.

Here is a "Freeze Report" not crash report:
http://www.mediafire.com/view/3u3tqs...report_(1).txt
Hope this is the correct one.

EDIT:
16b works fine.
I recently had .NET framework problems if that of any help...

Last edited by James Freeman; 14th July 2015 at 06:29.
James Freeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th July 2015, 04:22   #31768  |  Link
Ver Greeneyes

I think I'm seeing the crashes that James is describing on my laptop. Here's a crash report: Mediafire link. madVR's crash reporter did come up, but I couldn't send in the report for some reason. It just told me "failed to send crash report" without further information.

Last edited by Ver Greeneyes; 14th July 2015 at 04:25.
Ver Greeneyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th July 2015, 04:59   #31769  |  Link
Warner306

Quote:
Originally Posted by MistahBonzai View Post
Sorry, false alarm. Problem has resolved itself - FM? Could be Anyway, shutdown madVR and overwrote .16 with .16b. Looked fine - no glitches. Uninstalled .16b and installed .17. Still no presentation glitches.

All I can offer is that I did reboot (Windows 7 64-bit) before reverting back to .16 on the first go round . In hindsight I should have rebooted before reverting from .17 to .16. Sometimes after testing many MadVR settings on a given video odd behaviour will occur and I reboot without further consideration to restore performance to normal.
The problem with FineSharp is still present for me, even after a reboot. Its performance is gimped.

I was able to run the improved SuperRes without presentation glitches by lowering dithering from Error Diffusion 2 to Ordered. Disappointing but worth it.

All of the sharpening added to the image has gotten me away from a natural image in some ways, but I'm impressed that detail enhancement can be done in madVR with little to no increase in noticeable artifacts. The program is evolving to cater to many tastes in image quality.

Last edited by Warner306; 14th July 2015 at 05:01.
Old 14th July 2015, 05:03   #31770  |  Link
KhR0N1K

theres seems to be a problem with "video" mode deinterlacing with v0.88.17. the video flashes rapidly or i get a DXVA failed error when i open MPC if i force "film" mode but the video plays ok after that in "film" mode.
didn't have either of these issues in v0.88.16. will revert back for now.

love coming here everday to check for updates. thanks a lot for your great renderer and hard work madshi.

Edit: reverted back to .16 and its working fine again in both modes no error msg or flashing video in "video" deinterlacing mode. def. seems like a .17 issue im using a Radeon HD 6900 vector adaptive deinterlacing if that helps you any. but obviously "film" mode forces software IVTC so i don't think its a hardware issue.

Last edited by KhR0N1K; 14th July 2015 at 05:10. Reason: added info
KhR0N1K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th July 2015, 05:40   #31771  |  Link
ThurstonX

Quote:
Originally Posted by KhR0N1K View Post
theres seems to be a problem with "video" mode deinterlacing with v0.88.17. the video flashes rapidly or i get a DXVA failed error when i open MPC if i force "film" mode but the video plays ok after that in "film" mode.

love coming here everday to check for updates. thanks a lot for your great renderer and hard work madshi.

Edit: reverted back to .16 and its working fine again in both modes no error msg or flashing video in "video" deinterlacing mode. def. seems like a .17 issue im using a Radeon HD 6900 vector adaptive deinterlacing if that helps you any. but obviously "film" mode forces software IVTC so i don't think its a hardware issue.
I think I saw this same problem with a Blu-ray file set earlier today. As it was the first Blu-ray I've tried, I didn't want to mention it without further investigation. I didn't revert to v0.88.16, but I played the DVD version of the same, and didn't experience the problem. With the Blu-ray files, there was also some audio corruption after pausing/resuming, and when jumping ahead. Had the DXVA Failed error, too.

All playback in the the latest stable MPC-HC x64 (1.7.9) under Win 7, with a passively cooled Sapphire R7 250, in FSE mode.
ThurstonX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th July 2015, 06:02   #31772  |  Link
MistahBonzai

Quote:
The problem with FineSharp is still present for me, even after a reboot. Its performance is gimped.

I was able to run the improved SuperRes without presentation glitches by lowering dithering from Error Diffusion 2 to Ordered. Disappointing but worth it.

All of the sharpening added to the image has gotten me away from a natural image in some ways, but I'm impressed that detail enhancement can be done in madVR with little to no increase in noticeable artifacts. The program is evolving to cater to many tastes in image quality.
Sorry to hear that I've been beating the crap outta my set-up and not a Presentation Glitch in sight. In fact it's never been better. Running a desktop with i7-3770 3.4Ghz (liquid cooled but stock clock), 16GB 1600 RAM, AMD HD-7850, good cooling and 512GB SSD 'C' drive with Windows 7 64-bit.

Along with MadVR/XySubFilter/LAV/AC3 I run SVP/AVS+ and NNEDI3 via Avisynth scripts in ffdshow raw video filter - all the latest versions. That way it's possible to split the load across GPC/CPU and stretch MadVR a bit further. Ideally I shoot for 50% CPU and 50%GPU.

MadVR looks like this (for now):

[]processing
  1. reduce banding artifacts (medium and high)
  2. image enhancements - FineSharp (.5)
[]scaling algorithms
  1. Chroma upscaling (Bilateral)
  2. image downscaling (Catmull-ROM)
  3. image upscaling (Lanczos 3 taps with anti-ringing)
  4. upscaling refinement (AdaptiveSharpen (0.3))

[]rendering
  1. general settings (everything checked excepting windowed overlay and disable desktop composition)
  2. smooth motion (only if...)
  3. dithering (Ordered Dithering with colored noise and change every frame)

[]trade quality for performance
  1. no DXVA (cuz I have AMD and I always use software)
  2. don't analyze gradient...
  3. don't render with fade in/out (this one is kinda strange sometimes when I encounter reported (but not observed) dropped frames when only panning a still image in a video - it all depends...)

It's gotten to the point where I wanna run my photo collection in MadVR as my 'screen saver' rather than Picasa. I don't think there is an end to it

Last edited by MistahBonzai; 14th July 2015 at 06:08.
Old 14th July 2015, 07:45   #31773  |  Link
KeyserSoze17

Quote:
Faster OSD reaction times, of course. Not so important for simple informational texts like "exclusive" or "windowed". But things like the FSE seekbar or even more complex OSD elements do benefit. Some media players draw complex OSDs through the madVR OSD interfaces.
Awesome. Thank you Madshi. I know the MeediOS player I wrote has some lag in the FSE menus it draws. I'm excited to test with this new version.
KeyserSoze17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th July 2015, 08:06   #31774  |  Link
James Freeman

A positive thing I can say about 88.17 with my system is that it cuts the rendering time in half from 23ms to 11ms with DX11, in P8 state (NVIDIA).
Turning D11 off returns to 23ms.

Last edited by James Freeman; 14th July 2015 at 08:15.
James Freeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th July 2015, 08:47   #31775  |  Link
Warner306

After watching some content with the most recent SuperRes, I feel as though further improvement is unnecessary. The anti-ringing filter is an adequate finishing touch.

I am curious if there is any relationship between debanding and image sharpening. If debanding is applied to the source, does this reduce the possibility of unwanted artifacts being sharpened?
Old 14th July 2015, 09:50   #31776  |  Link
ERRFMT

88.17 dxva deinterlacing issue

Hi
Seeing the following with any video when dxva deinterlacing is active:
Flashing screen, all queues showing zero on osd, screen goes blank when paused.

Jriver MC20.124, madvr 88.17, windows 7 x64, gtx960, 353.30 driver.

Reverting to 88.16 shows no problem with interlaced video.
88.17 is fine on all non-interlaced video, all queues full on osd.
Old 14th July 2015, 10:12   #31777  |  Link
madshi
Registered Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Freeman View Post
Sorry about that, never had to use this feature.

Here is a "Freeze Report" not crash report:
http://www.mediafire.com/view/3u3tqs...report_(1).txt
Hope this is the correct one.

EDIT:
16b works fine.
I recently had .NET framework problems if that of any help...
The freeze report is better than the debug log, but it's still not the crash report. Your earlier screenshots showed a little window with the text "An error occurred in the application". If you get this window, press Ctrl+C, then open Notepad and press Ctrl+V. This way you should get the crash report, if sending it doesn't work for you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ver Greeneyes View Post
I think I'm seeing the crashes that James is describing on my laptop. Here's a crash report: Mediafire link. madVR's crash reporter did come up, but I couldn't send in the report for some reason. It just told me "failed to send crash report" without further information.
That seems to be a different crash report. It's madHcCtrl crashing, not madVR or the media player. Not sure why sending the bug report fails, unfortunately.

Quote:
Using this test build, I am able to use FineSharp Upscaling Refinement once again without presentation glitches. You have broken something that impacts FineSharp. But SuperRes remains too demanding for my system using my previous settings.

I prefer the look of SuperRes, so I will have to do some testing with other settings to see if I can accommodate one pass after upscaling.
With which media player are you testing this? Is it Kodi/DSPlayer? There is a bug in madVR right now which always puts it into "low latency" mode, when using Kodi/DSPlayer. You should see this in the OSD: The "present queue" should always be limited to max 2 frames. I guess that this might be causing the presentation glitches you're seeing. Although I've no idea why they should occur with FineSharp. I've not changed a single thing related to FineSharp from v0.88.16 to v0.88.17. That must be a coincident, or some weird timing related issue.

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by ERRFMT View Post
Seeing the following with any video when dxva deinterlacing is active:
Flashing screen, all queues showing zero on osd, screen goes blank when paused.
Couldn't reproduce this yesterday, but today I can. Will fix it for the next build.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KeyserSoze17 View Post
Awesome. Thank you Madshi. I know the MeediOS player I wrote has some lag in the FSE menus it draws. I'm excited to test with this new version.
Let me know if it works!

Quote:
A positive thing I can say about 88.17 with my system is that it cuts the rendering time in half from 23ms to 11ms with DX11, in P8 state (NVIDIA).
Weird. I've no idea why rendering time should be lower.

Quote:
After watching some content with the most recent SuperRes, I feel as though further improvement is unnecessary. The anti-ringing filter is an adequate finishing touch.
There are still some aliasing problems. Waiting for some samples to work on that.

Quote:
I am curious if there is any relationship between debanding and image sharpening. If debanding is applied to the source, does this reduce the possibility of unwanted artifacts being sharpened?
I'm not sure if sharpening algorithm already start sharpening banding steps. Maybe they do, then debanding should help. In any case, it should not harm.
madshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th July 2015, 10:14   #31778  |  Link
chros

Quote:
0.88.16b (beta) introduced this bug, I thought it's because it was a debug build. I got the same problem with it even with progressive content. Now 0.88.17 is working fine with progressive content.

Quote:
Woow! Thanks for the info, I'll try it out tonight.
Old 14th July 2015, 10:56   #31779  |  Link
nevcairiel
Registered Developer

Quote:
This is more likely a statistic fluke than anything else. D3D11 won't make the GPU run 100% faster magically.
Old 14th July 2015, 11:05   #31780  |  Link
cvrkuth

present queue: 7-8/8
present queue: 1-2/2
cvrkuth is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
direct compute, dithering, error diffusion, madvr, ngu, nnedi3, quality, renderer, scaling, uhd upscaling, upsampling