Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Video Encoding > MPEG-4 AVC / H.264

Old 24th August 2011, 09:55   #1  |  Link
tEhHoLLoW

Weird audio issue after 1080i to 720p encode

I'm fairly new to encoding and wanted to encode some TV Series but have a Problem with my results.

I tried to encode a TV Series with 1440x1080i (HDLite) 29.97 fps h266 but the Audio/Video plays kinda weird after encoding, I don't know how to describe it better.
It seems Sync but when you look closer you see that it's not really sync with the lips but ends when they stop talking. It's just not as smooth as you expect it.

I uploaded a sample from my encode so you can see what I mean.

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/14090586/JAG...%20%283%29.mkv

My AVS Script:
Code:
directshowsource("F:\JAG S08E01 HDTV 1080i h264.ts",fps=29.97)
ConvertToYV12()
crop( 2, 0, -2, 0)
TFM().TDecimate()
Spline36resize(1280,720)

I first tried to index it with DGAVCIndex but then the Video had horrible errors, so I used directshowsource.

Do I use a wrong interlacer or what could be the problem?
tEhHoLLoW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th August 2011, 11:17   #2  |  Link
Atak_Snajpera
RipBot264 author

Plays fine on my machine. FFDshow + Haali Media Splitter
Atak_Snajpera is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 25th August 2011, 11:39   #3  |  Link
tEhHoLLoW

It's definitely not fine, I had more then enough people look at it and everybody sees that it's not sync.

I tried ffmpegsource but it has the some of the same Video errors I got with DGAVCIndex but not as many. But the Video playback stutters.
Old 25th August 2011, 11:55   #4  |  Link
nm

Could you post a clip from the original source that FFMS2 has issues with?
nm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th August 2011, 12:21   #5  |  Link
tEhHoLLoW

Sure, I'll post it later. I just tried to cut a sample with h264tsCutter but it doesn't work, I'll have to find another programm.
Old 25th August 2011, 12:30   #6  |  Link
hello_hello

It's definitely out of sync.
Rather than try to work out why, which can drive you insane, just remux it with something like MKVtoolnix while adding an appropriate delay value to the audio stream. It seems to be around -150ms to me. Maybe a little more (negative more).
In situations like that I use Media Player Classic Home Cinema to open the video, then use the + & - keys to change the audio delay until I'm happy with it, then use the delay value MPC is displaying.

Or thinking about it, if you're having problems indexing the ts file, maybe remux it before encoding with tsMuxeR. I'm pretty sure it'll also tell you the amount of audio delay in the original ts file.

Last edited by hello_hello; 25th August 2011 at 12:39.
hello_hello is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th August 2011, 12:56   #7  |  Link
Atak_Snajpera
RipBot264 author

I see no sync issues. I use FFDshow r3974 (x86) + Haali media spliter + MPC-HC (internal filters and decoders disabled)

When exactly do you sync problems?
Atak_Snajpera is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 25th August 2011, 13:07   #8  |  Link
hello_hello

It's fairly obviously out of sync to me. MPC-HC.... both with and without ffdshow and Haali (using internal filters instead). Enough that it'd annoy me while watching it.

Most obvious is the close-up 5 seconds in, and the tapping on the wall right at the end.

I played it on two PCs. To me, it needs an audio delay of at least -150ms, maybe even -200ms.
Old 25th August 2011, 13:16   #9  |  Link
hello_hello

Try changing the delay while playing the video with MPC-HC. For me a +200ms delay puts it way out of sync, while it takes at least a -500ms delay (in the opposite direction) before it starts to look as much out of sync as +200ms. Hence my -150ms guess....
Old 25th August 2011, 14:00   #10  |  Link
tEhHoLLoW

Yeah I tried to play a little with the delay but it's still not really sync for the whole episode, some parts seem sync but in some other you really see that it's not a delay issue rather then something with the encoding, IVTC etc.
Old 25th August 2011, 15:40   #11  |  Link
hello_hello

I'd run tsmuxer on the original ts file and then try encoding the new version.
Or use tsmuxer to extract the video and audio streams (I'm fairly sure it will, it's been a long time since I've used it) then mux the streams into an mkv for encoding. Maybe it's a problem with the original ts file causing your issue.

I did wonder if changing the audio delay would fix the sync problem consistently, but it's not possible to tell from the small sample.