Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Hardware & Software > Software players
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 25th April 2017, 21:55   #43501  |  Link
mrcorbo

I am not able to get HDR output to work either in Win 10 Creators update using my GTX 1060. I even tried reverting to the pre-Creator's update driver (378.92) as the Creators Update supporting driver broke HDR output in games for some people, but this also didn't work.

Things I've tried in all possible combinations:

Setting color output settings to 4:2:2 and 4:2:0 10 and 12 bit in Nvidia driver settings.

Setting color output settings to system managed in Nvidia drivers (new option for Creator's update drivers).

Manually triggering HDR mode in Windows display settings before playing video.

Both Nvidia and Win 10 HDR metadata transmission methods in madVR.

In the cases where HDR was not manually turned on, madVR output was identical in windowed and FSE modes (and both were wrong, looking washed out with the overall picture too bright, the highlights dulled and with the color saturation low). In the cases where HDR was manually turned on, the windowed output was still wrong and the FSE output looked the same as the output when HDR was turned off.

As of now, the only "correct" (as in close to the output of my TV's internal media player and madVR in process HDR to SDR mode) HDR output I've seen is by setting the Nvidia drivers to system managed color, turning on HDR manually, and playing the files in the Windows 10 Movies and TV app. This combination of settings is also the only time I've seen my receiver report that it is being sent the BT.2020 color space.

Interestingly, the output from the Movies and TV app when HDR is turned off is the inverse of madVR's ouput with the overall picture dark with the highlights blown out and with the colors super-saturated.

Last edited by mrcorbo; 25th April 2017 at 22:12.
mrcorbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th April 2017, 01:20   #43502  |  Link
Ginnoji

To get madVR to passthrough HDR data successfully on Windows 10 1703 I did the following:

Update to madVR 0.91.9, LAV filters to 0.69.0.43, NVIDIA drivers to 381.89

NVIDIA Control Panel settings:
http://i.imgur.com/M5KxTx3.png

Windows 10 System settings:
http://i.imgur.com/23Mp535.png

Player Properties:
http://i.imgur.com/CMDgYy2.png

madVR settings:
http://i.imgur.com/qoR6NV6.png
http://i.imgur.com/XpRAzbx.png
http://i.imgur.com/4Pl6Rk1.png

Picture quality looks exactly the same as when using the TV's internal player.
Also, both NVIDIA's private API and Windows 10 API produced the same results but I only tested with one video file.
I used DDU to do a clean install of the display drivers.
Windows 10 1703 was a clean install not an update from 1607.
Ginnoji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th April 2017, 05:40   #43503  |  Link
lubczyk

madVR and high refresh rate panels

Can madVR take advantage of high refresh rate panels like 72Hz, 120Hz, 144Hz, 240Hz, et cetera? Would I be able to get smoother motion with a 240Hz panel with 24/30 Hz mixed content (Anime) without enabling the Smooth Motion setting?

Is there a point or any benefit in using high refresh rate monitiors/panels with purely madVR?

On another note, do high refresh rate panels help with the viewing experience of 24/30 sources like Hollywood films?
lubczyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th April 2017, 07:04   #43504  |  Link
ryrynz

Enabling Smooth Motion is exactly what you'd want to do with a high refresh rate panel, either that or running as close to the frame rate as possible which you can already do with lower rate panels.
Yes the benefit is smoother pans at the expense of a small amount of image sharpness, but perhaps Smooth Motion at 100+Hz is almost as good sharpness wise, perhaps someone can weigh in here.
ryrynz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th April 2017, 09:34   #43505  |  Link
huhn

the potential problem with smooth motion is "totally" gone on a screen with 120 Hz+ and that's about it.

they are usually very very bad screen with terrible CR, 6 bit TN panels and terrible colors. these are gaming screens nothing else.

if you want proper image quality get something else.
huhn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th April 2017, 12:25   #43506  |  Link
YxP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damien147 View Post
Every RX4x0 user here has the same problem.
Just to be 1000% sure: 8bit works fine with AMD? I just ordered my 580 and will go nuclear if madvr doesn't work properly :P
YxP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th April 2017, 13:08   #43507  |  Link
huhn

have fun with your core meltdown because NGU is going to be very slow with polaris.

i never had any problem with AMD DXVA copyback. not with my 6770, r9 270 and even my RX 480 worked properly with DXVA copyback.
Old 26th April 2017, 13:16   #43508  |  Link
YxP

I'm upgrading from HD7850 and it indeed works very well, although a bit too slow for high NNEDI or Very High NGU. If 580 can run NGU high I think I'll survive.
YxP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th April 2017, 13:23   #43509  |  Link
huhn

i'm not 100% sure but a 7850 has about the same NGU performance as a polaris card.

if i'm not mistaken my R9 270 was faster than my RX 480 in NGU and only there.

but NGU high is pretty easy for GPUs so maybe...
Old 26th April 2017, 14:16   #43510  |  Link
Damien147

Quote:
Originally Posted by YxP View Post
Just to be 1000% sure: 8bit works fine with AMD? I just ordered my 580 and will go nuclear if madvr doesn't work properly :P
The problem(black screen) is the combination of RX4x0,Madvr,dxva2(native) and 10 bit HEVC.With this combination and evr cp everything's fine,so it seems that the problem points Madvr.With 8bit you'll be fine.RX580 is a rebrand with higher core clocks,so I guess you will have it too.
If you have dxva2(copy-back) why bother with dxva2(native) though(?)I am the unlucky one like pruttolle that experiences stutters with copyback,others with same gpu don't.

Quote:
I'm upgrading from HD7850 and it indeed works very well, although a bit too slow for high NNEDI or Very High NGU. If 580 can run NGU high I think I'll survive.
Huhn is right about polaris being slow.
In some occasions(in others I have some dropped frames) I can run NGU(sharp) high with my RX470.I guess you will be able to run NGU high with an RX580.
Damien147 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th April 2017, 22:06   #43511  |  Link
ryrynz

Ran NGU sharp for the first time on some a 720 movie and was quite impressed with how it looked. Couldn't run Very High on my 960 but High was a go with about 20ms render time.

Sounds like someone needs to have a word with an AMD dev and get them to optimize a bit for madVR if it's that bad, I don't see a good reason to choose them over Nvidia when it comes to using it (Once you've optimized the 24Hz mode that is) I believe AMD still has the better timings here.

Last edited by ryrynz; 26th April 2017 at 22:13.
ryrynz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th April 2017, 00:29   #43512  |  Link
pose

Quote:
Just to be 1000% sure: 8bit works fine with AMD?
I have RX 470 and madVR works great. Im scaling to 1080p. In most scenarios except for high FPS content i can run NGU Sharp (very high) <SSim2D100 without dropping frames and even have some headroom left. For me NGU Sharp (very high) = NNEDI3 128 performance wise. NGU Sharp (high) is around 15% faster than NNEDI3 64. If i remember correctly i only could do 64 neurons NNEDI3 in same situations with my 7870 on the most madVR optimized driver 13.12.

Last edited by pose; 27th April 2017 at 00:33.
pose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th April 2017, 02:45   #43513  |  Link
egandt

Quick tests

I ran a few quick tests using the latest build, here is what I see (note I have an HD Integral, so I can monitor the HDMI stream data as well as via the TV Info).

If the monitor is set to HDR (windows slider setting), then both modes (Nvidia or DX11) display HDR, but then everything is displayed using HDR, so not sure if they are doing anything. If HDR is disabled, then everything plays back a non-HDR no matter the option (Nvidia or DX11).
If you set a custom color mode using Nvidia (which makes sense as I can match the TV's calibration), then HDR can not be enabled in Windows (via the slider) and both options (Nvidia and DX11), do not display HDR.

What I'd like is to be able to turn on HDR, but only have HDR data sent if the Video is HDR otherwise to not send it, but I do not see how to do that in Windows currently, so with HDR on it is right for 1% and wrong for 99% which is not. I've set it for the 99% (HDR slider off, Nvidia set to 4:4:4 limited) since so little has content includes HDR.

I'm running a 7700K with a GTX 1080 TI, latest Nvidia Drivers.

Is there something I'm missing with the settings?, or is it just that Windows HDR is half baked (I'm thinking it is the second one).

Thanks,
ERIC
egandt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th April 2017, 03:27   #43514  |  Link
chileverde

Occasional playback stutters/skips that MadVR doesn't recognize

I've been using Kodi DSPlayer 16.1 with MadVR (currently v0.91.7) for a long time with no problems. Recently I've started experiencing video/audio stutters about two or three times per hour of playback. The best way I can describe it is like a skipping vinyl record, and the audio stutter makes a machine-gun like effect. It's very brief, lasting 1-2 seconds each time, but really jarring, and often the video/audio are out of sync afterwards and I have to stop playback and restart.

The MadVR playback stats don't recognize these stutters as frame repeats or presentation glitches - it seems like as far as MadVR is concerned, playback is working fine, which makes me wonder if something else in my system is causing the problem.

This problem started spontaneously several months ago - I didn't make any changes to my system or upgrade any of the software.

Also, I'm running Windows 10.

Thanks!
chileverde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th April 2017, 05:15   #43515  |  Link
nsnhd

What are requirements for the 'HDR slider' appearing at all ? You needs Win10 creators update, but what about other components ?
nsnhd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th April 2017, 10:09   #43516  |  Link
huhn

you need an HDR screen with HDR 10 support, a GPU that supports HDR and if you are using an AVR in between it has to support it too.
Old 27th April 2017, 11:07   #43517  |  Link
egandt

Quote:
Originally Posted by nsnhd View Post
What are requirements for the 'HDR slider' appearing at all ? You needs Win10 creators update, but what about other components ?
You need a monitor that reports an EDID that supports HDR as well, confirmed that using the HD Integral to change the EDID of the TV.

ERIC
egandt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th April 2017, 13:54   #43518  |  Link
Cinemancave

With the HDR modes implemented in the new release, is it still possible to send HDR passthrough without sending the metadata? I am hesitant to try out for myself since I don't want any updates to start causing any issues (I'm on an earlier build). I'm a JVC owner and want to be sure that it's safe to update before I do. I need to strip the HDR metadata in order to get the max out of the projector, and this was a (for me) welcome side-effect of the HDR implementation before.
Cinemancave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th April 2017, 17:09   #43519  |  Link
Q-the-STORM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinemancave View Post
is it still possible to send HDR passthrough without sending the metadata?
Yes, don't check "send HDR metadata to the display" and you're good.
Q-the-STORM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th April 2017, 20:36   #43520  |  Link
lunnar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinemancave View Post
With the HDR modes implemented in the new release, is it still possible to send HDR passthrough without sending the metadata? I am hesitant to try out for myself since I don't want any updates to start causing any issues (I'm on an earlier build). I'm a JVC owner and want to be sure that it's safe to update before I do. I need to strip the HDR metadata in order to get the max out of the projector, and this was a (for me) welcome side-effect of the HDR implementation before.
I am curious to know why your don't want the metadata on your JVC projector?

I also got a JVC(RS-420) and I feel like I do want the metadata to be sent to the projector.
lunnar is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
direct compute, dithering, error diffusion, madvr, ngu, nnedi3, quality, renderer, scaling, uhd upscaling, upsampling