Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Hardware & Software > Software players

Old 6th August 2017, 03:21   #44541  |  Link
Oguignant

Quote:
Originally Posted by madshi View Post
There might be a new madVR version next weekend, but not this. I'll reply to all your posts when the next madVR version is released. Please have a bit patience until then.

For now, I've something for you to play with:

http://madshi.net/madCustomRes.zip
impressive! But I'll wait for it to be safe to use! Does not work with the Intel HD 630 integrated graphics card drv version: 22.20.16.4708, says this when I try to set 23mhz

Last edited by Oguignant; 6th August 2017 at 04:52.
Oguignant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th August 2017, 04:35   #44542  |  Link
ryrynz

Can we avoid the constant full quoting of madshi's post plz (counted four of you so far) Don't want to see constant quoting of the new madvr ver post next week, it's quite unnecessary, cheers.
ryrynz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th August 2017, 04:53   #44543  |  Link
Oguignant

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryrynz View Post
Can we avoid the constant full quoting of madshi's post plz (counted four of you so far) Don't want to see constant quoting of the new madvr ver post next week, it's quite unnecessary, cheers.
done!
Old 6th August 2017, 08:57   #44544  |  Link
nevcairiel
Registered Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fullmetal Encoder View Post
Forgive me, but how would this ability help those of us with monitors that can only operate at 60hz? I'm a little worried that this might fry my monitor
It doesn't.
In reality this is generally more useful for TVs, not desktop screens.
Old 6th August 2017, 09:08   #44545  |  Link
leeperry
Kid for Today

Sweet, thanks for the update but still no WASAPI and no 25@24 so I guess next step is an audio renderer?

Also, I recently upgraded from an i1d2 that didn't age so well to a CMUNDIS and now we're talking, same harware as the i1pro and man is this accurate huh........which leads to my question: many movies still appear to be mastered with SMPTE-C primaries(TDKR comes to mind as everyone looks green in REC.709) but once your display is dead-on, is it my imagination or you can easily pick the right gamut as it'll provide visibly higher CR? Sometimes one or the other wins depending on the movie and very often wrong one also either gives pale colors(REC709 movies in SMPTE-C gamut) or green faces(the opposite).

Last edited by leeperry; 6th August 2017 at 09:20.
leeperry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th August 2017, 11:10   #44546  |  Link
hannes69

Quote:
Originally Posted by nevcairiel View Post
Originally Posted by Fullmetal Encoder:
Forgive me, but how would this ability help those of us with monitors that can only operate at 60hz? I'm a little worried that this might fry my monitor

It doesn't.
I wouldn´t be too pessimistic about that. You´ll never fry your monitor because of using custom refresh rates. Maybe there are monitors that are really only supporting 60Hz, but I think that many monitors have some kind of backwards compatibility to old CRT resolutions. You will of course not use non-native resolutions but maybe the according refresh rates different from 60 Hz. I have a "normal" 22 inch LG TFT monitor 1680x1050 native. It has a working refresh rate range of 48.1 - 76.6 Hz with its native resolution. I first made custom resolutions for my home cinema projector and then out of fun I thought I could try that with my desktop monitor as well. I thought because in Windows only 60 Hz was offered that I probably can´t achieve the same like with my projector, but no problem. With the given refresh rate range i have implemented custom resolutions with 50, 59.94, 60, 71.928 and 72 Hz. My projector accepts refresh rates of 15 - 125 Hz and works internally up to 60 Hz without skipping frames. So my projector uses custom resolutions of 47.952, 48, 50, 59.94 and 60 Hz.
hannes69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th August 2017, 12:08   #44547  |  Link
SweetLow

Quote:
madCustomRes
Intel HD4000, Win 7x64, latest driver (10.18.10.4653)
It's working, but old problem of driver is not solved - there isn't possibility to set different 23/24, 29/30 and 59/60 DTD. Driver use only one of them and make some weird calculations of pixel clock.
Some small "bug" exists: when new resolution applied monitor scheme reset to "one monitor" and default rate.
And one question - what is the source of pixel clock in editor for "standard mode, unknown timing details" and known EDID parameters for this resolution and rate? This isn't EDID pixel clock in some cases for both rates in pair (59/60 for example).
SweetLow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th August 2017, 12:08   #44548  |  Link
jkauff

Quote:
Originally Posted by nevcairiel View Post
It doesn't.
Don't you get the same benefit using exact multiples of TV-type resolutions? Most "60Hz" desktop monitors can be underclocked or overclocked within a certain range.
jkauff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th August 2017, 12:35   #44549  |  Link
SweetLow

Quote:
Originally Posted by hannes69 View Post
With the given refresh rate range i have implemented custom resolutions with 50, 59.94, 60, 71.928 and 72 Hz.
Did you make tests of real rate of LCD matrix (or what else) after that? The fact that monitor accept some mode say nothing about what you really see.

Last edited by SweetLow; 6th August 2017 at 12:38.
Old 6th August 2017, 14:24   #44550  |  Link
ashlar42

Quote:
There might be a new madVR version next weekend, but not this. I'll reply to all your posts when the next madVR version is released. Please have a bit patience until then.

OMG YOU DID IT!!!

I had been waiting for this. A great tool from the angel that helped me with custom timings back in my Panasonic plasma days.

Unfortunately I'm leaving for vacation tomorrow, so I won't be able to test it. But come end of August I'll be all over it.

Thank you for being brave enough to tackle this. Much, much appreciated.
ashlar42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th August 2017, 14:39   #44551  |  Link
Siso
Soul Seeker

Too bad the optimize button doesn't work yet
Siso is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 6th August 2017, 21:11   #44552  |  Link
Magik Mark

Is there a way to delete all new customized refresh rates if you want to start all over again? In nvidia no matter what you do in driver settings, it just won't happen

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 6th August 2017, 21:56   #44553  |  Link
hannes69

Quote:
Originally Posted by SweetLow View Post
Did you make tests of real rate of LCD matrix (or what else) after that? The fact that monitor accept some mode say nothing about what you really see.
You´re thinking of a scientific double blind field study test or what? No. I´ve tested with my own eyes, the most reliable test in my eyes
I´m considering eyes as a very good test equipment for video applications (some people asking for best settings in this thread maybe not).
I´m very sensitive to skipped/repeated/dropped frames, fluent video playback is the most important factor in my home cinema experience.
My monitor accepts the GPU output and I see fluent motion (yes, that´s what I really see in your terminology).
Sometimes it´s OK to believe others without asking for evidence
Old 7th August 2017, 14:59   #44554  |  Link
SweetLow

Quote:
You´re thinking of a scientific double blind field study test or what?
(Right) tear test for example.

Quote:
I´m considering eyes as a very good test equipment for video applications (some people asking for best settings in this thread maybe not).
But with little help they easily convert to excellent

Quote:
You´re thinking of a scientific double blind field study test or what?
Sometimes it´s OK to believe others without asking for evidence
There isn't place for "believe" where "check" is available.
Old 7th August 2017, 15:30   #44555  |  Link
huhn

https://www.testufo.com/#test=frameskipping

and yes tearing test is fine too.

but overclock/underclock your screen at your own risk.
an old screen of mine get's crazy with under and over clocking even so far i can hear it...
huhn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th August 2017, 15:52   #44556  |  Link
huhn

and yet another user that doesn't get it...
Old 7th August 2017, 15:59   #44557  |  Link
FDisk80

Quote:

It's currently a standalone tool, soon to be integrated into madVR. This tool allows you to create custom resolutions, refresh rates and timings, with Nvidia, AMD and Intel GPUs. The tool uses private APIs of the 3 GPU manufacturers. I think my GUI is nicer than those of the GPU manufacturers, plus mine has some extra features. Once I integrated this into madVR, I'm also planning to automatically measure your display modes and suggest optimized custom timings, so you can get smooth playback without any frame drops/repeats, without using Reclock.

Unfortunately the private GPU APIs are all buggy. I've already posted bug reports to AMD and Nvidia, Intel to follow soon. So it will be an uphill battle to make all this work as expected. But I hope we'll get there, eventually. Biggest problems right now are that Nvidia only seems to accept *new* custom modes, for resolutions/refresh rates that don't exist yet, but Nvidia doesn't seem to allow timing overrides for standard modes like 1080p23, at least not on my PC. And Intel has serious problems, too. AMD is the least problematic, but not bug free, either.

Please use this at your own risk!!

You *could* end up with a display mode which the display doesn't sync to. In that case if a reboot doesn't help you may have to fix the problem in safe mode. I recommend that when creating custom timings that you don't create them while you're in the same mode, just to be safe. So e.g. if you want to customize 1080p23 timings, don't do this while your GPU is in 1080p23 mode. Instead switch to e.g. 1080p59 mode while you're working on 1080p23 timings. This way you can after your modifications switch to the new 1080p23 timings "on trial" and the OS will auto switch back if you don't confirm the change within 15 or 20 seconds.

Feedback welcome.
Code:
automatically measure your display modes and suggest optimized custom timings
Whoa! Nice. I want this in madVR.
FDisk80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th August 2017, 18:33   #44558  |  Link
zapatista

Hi Madchi,

thank you for the great program you have provided to the HTPC community.

with my current pc specs, and using madvr, should i be able to downscale a 4k (YCbCr) video file to 2k @ 10bit RGB with decent framerates ? (i am sending it via hdmi to my tv which can accept 1080p RGB @ 10 and 12 bit ) or is my pc gfx card not able to cope ?

i have been trying to tweak the settings of MPC-HC and madvr while playing a test 4k video file but cant get it completely fluid

system: i7 @ 3.5 (stock clock speed) w 32 gb ddr3 ram and an older ati 5770 gfx card ( 1 gb vram)

any tips on how i can improve this 2k down conversion performance ?
zapatista is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th August 2017, 21:10   #44559  |  Link
hannes69

Quote:
Originally Posted by SweetLow View Post
There isn't place for "believe" where "check" is available.
Quote:
Originally Posted by huhn View Post
OK. I have done the UFO frameskipping check for all of my 5 different refresh rates for my TFT monitor. In each case the right according refresh rate and frame rate was shown and I took my Pentax K-30 DSLR, set 1 second exposure time and made for each case a photo. No frames were skipped.
So I made a "check" and now you can "believe" what I wrote above or not.
I will not waste my time by loading photos from my camera to the computer, make uploads, links and so on.
But the process is ok. I knew before that my monitor can do the different refresh rates right because of using my own eyes and now I have the same information by using an online tool and a camera. Now I have redundant information and where´s my prize for that?
BTW, my projector (DLP) works with 15-60Hz refresh rate, it accepts refresh rates 60-125Hz but then frames are skipped. It has a 6 segment color wheel and I have checked with my camera how often one single frame is really shown in advance. One frame is shown 2 times. So the color wheel spins with 7200 rpm maximum for 60 Hz refresh rate given, often called "2x speed".
Old 8th August 2017, 03:51   #44560  |  Link
huhn

i don't known about a tool to check an even frame interval which is important too. (well one could take the camera image and see if the brightness of all squares is even.)

but most important while under and over clocking gives you an images it doesn't mean it is smooth or all frames are shown. this is an information

Quote:
But the process is ok. I knew before that my monitor can do the different refresh rates right because of using my own eyes and now I have the same information by using an online tool and a camera. Now I have redundant information and where´s my prize for that?
nice for you but who cares about the rest of the user here they don't matter...

Last edited by huhn; 8th August 2017 at 03:56.

Tags
direct compute, dithering, error diffusion, madvr, ngu, nnedi3, quality, renderer, scaling, uhd upscaling, upsampling