Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > (HD) DVD, Blu-ray & (S)VCD > DVD & BD Rebuilder
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 14th September 2015, 09:42   #23121  |  Link
Sharc

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdobbs View Post
I have updated the first post of this thread with a link to the latest version of BD-RB (v0.50.08). Changes for this release:
Code:
....- Added a new setting for ALTERNATE output.
  You can now select a target output size for
  CRF encoding. BD-RB will perform prediction
  passes to determine the proper CRF value.
- Added new experimental CRF prediction code
  that can use fewer passes.  To enable it
  see NEW_CRF_PREDICTION in HIDDENOPTS.TXT.
Thank you. I'll try it.
Will a 2nd pass be initiated in case the prediction results in an oversize? (i.e. same procedure as recently implemented for BD mode?)

PayPal "concerns": I have been using BD-RB a lot for importing and processing (i.e. high-quality re-compressing) my home videocam .m2ts files (1080i50) to produce standards compliant BD discs for the family.
I would really regret if the SW would not be maintained for such odd reason.
Sharc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th September 2015, 13:18   #23122  |  Link
varekai
Suspended for forum rule violations

AmigaFuture +1
Ch3vr0n +1
Sharc +1
I second that!

Please jdobbs, keep this extraordinary software alive!
varekai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th September 2015, 16:46   #23123  |  Link
mparade

Quote:
Originally Posted by varekai View Post
AmigaFuture +1
Ch3vr0n +1
Sharc +1
I second that!

Please jdobbs, keep this extraordinary software alive!
mparade +1
I am using BD-RB every day....
mparade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th September 2015, 18:27   #23124  |  Link
Glarioo

Please! Mr jdobbs, don't stop the further development of this fine piece of software!
Glarioo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th September 2015, 20:21   #23125  |  Link
Video Dude

Would it be feasible setting up a PO Box again and having donations sent directly to you?
Video Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th September 2015, 20:24   #23126  |  Link
Ch3vr0n

a PO box? Pretty sure it's illegal to send physical currency through the postal mail system in every country. Too easy to get stolen.
Ch3vr0n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th September 2015, 20:45   #23127  |  Link
meadrocks

How about Bitcoin???
meadrocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th September 2015, 21:02   #23128  |  Link
AmigaFuture

Programs can be hacked, Bitcoin is hackable/crackable and more; to me..not very secure and it's subject to being hacked, like the I.R.S., Apple iCloud, etc. I will not donate that way nor will I buy anything that way. Paysafe is okay. I agree with Warren Buffet about Bitcoin! P.O. Box's are cool, wrap cash or a Check or whatever in tin foil...can't see in/scan it then. But for most people, nahh...I use P.O. Boxes for personal transfers only. Not to mean it's not a good idea.
Old 14th September 2015, 22:05   #23129  |  Link
jdobbs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ch3vr0n View Post
What a stupid move, though I think their idea of 'circumventing' is ''if it creates a copy, it's not a retail disc and illegal'. Decryption probably didn't even come into play.
Actually no. Their usage policy is quite clear -- and BD-RB doesn't violate it. The bottom line is that they just don't seem to want to take the time to see if it does or doesn't.

Last edited by jdobbs; 14th September 2015 at 22:07.
jdobbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th September 2015, 23:39   #23130  |  Link
AmigaFuture

Personally, I hope you keep you passion going at whatever degree you choose. It's not only notice here, but within the program - and you modify your signature to match your new choice so WE (the testers and the average user) may continue to click the link and DoNaTe icon.
Old 15th September 2015, 02:31   #23131  |  Link
MrVideo

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdobbs View Post
Paypal decided my software (DVD-RB) was somehow circumventing copyright.
Hollygreed doesn't care. The fact that you work with material that came from a released Blu-ray is all that they need to declare your product aiding and abetting copyright infringement. Even though RB doesn't do the actual ripping from the Blu-ray, it still deals with copyrighted material.

Even though copyright law says that owners have a right to back up what they own, the DMCA says that it is illegal to circumvent encryption.

So, programs like RB lose out to the A-hole hollygreed machine.
MrVideo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 15th September 2015, 03:20   #23132  |  Link
AmigaFuture

Greed is normal for every living thing. You see it constantly if you have a broad world view. Everyone, everything wants what they/it wants. That's the essence of greed/selfishness and it's normal since the beginning of everything as is coming together for agreed stuff. As much some some...erm, some places where people gather try to dictate its horrors and wrongs, it will always remain a norm. Not everyone in Hollywood doesn't care. But most don't speak openly and make things open like Michael Moore did/does/has. JDobbs hasn't lost...he just needs to choose another method (Wink!) that CARES AND...isn't (willfully) ignorant. As I suggested a long time ago, advertise..it would help! I advocate for DVD and BD Rebuilder...sometimes/often to customers+. But, I have to be selective and careful sometimes. Getting through to people can be challenging, "It's not illegal...you OWN it, it's Fair Use! You won't have to buy it against because of your baby, or someone else careless if you MAKE copies of your original." Sometimes I'm able to go into more depth, but...if people aren't USED to something; - people have been taught fear very well of this or that and make excuses. Or their attention span is....."Uh, what...?? Oh Yeah...what?" Argh. HA!

Hmmm....I have a wild thought... I'm curious, how many of us are willing to help JD with the cost of advertising, I mean honestly?? I'm willing to toss in 100 but it'll be a lot more than that to get it going, possibly more in a couple months. Maybe I'm overstepping and too vocal (Noooo...meeeee?!), but, I dig the passion and product..hehe, I don't have the ability to be the only sponsor, by a long shot. Something for JD, more than us, to consider. Okay, I'm ...shhhing now. Stepping way...
Old 15th September 2015, 04:46   #23133  |  Link
jdobbs

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrVideo View Post
Hollygreed doesn't care. The fact that you work with material that came from a released Blu-ray is all that they need to declare your product aiding and abetting copyright infringement. Even though RB doesn't do the actual ripping from the Blu-ray, it still deals with copyrighted material.

Even though copyright law says that owners have a right to back up what they own, the DMCA says that it is illegal to circumvent encryption.

So, programs like RB lose out to the A-hole hollygreed machine.
The fact is that there are lots of other uses that have nothing to do with copyrighted material. How about BD-RB's ability to import video files (from cameras or recordings) and create a blu-ray. How about discs that have no copyright (e.g. wedding videos) or things you have copied from cable for your own use (via fair use) and would like to archive it? The bottom line is that you can't ban something just because it might be used for something. Otherwise hammers would have to be made illegal on the off chance someone might use it as a weapon...
Old 15th September 2015, 05:40   #23134  |  Link
MrVideo

I totally agree with what you have to say. But, some just do not give-a -damn, PayPal obviously one of them. To bad you can sue them. They have the money and lots of lawyers. I wonder who the idiot was that you were dealing with.

To be kinda on topic, I've seen mention about the ability of BD-RB to be able to create Blu-rays. But, I have no clue what the capabilities are and how to do it as there isn't a manual or even a forum about how-to-use BD-RB. Is menu creation available? If so, how sophisticated? Etc.
Old 15th September 2015, 10:28   #23135  |  Link
Sharc

Quote:

To be kinda on topic, I've seen mention about the ability of BD-RB to be able to create Blu-rays. But, I have no clue what the capabilities are and how to do it as there isn't a manual or even a forum about how-to-use BD-RB. Is menu creation available? If so, how sophisticated? Etc.
Search for "Quick-Play" and "import" in the changelog.txt, for example, starting around end of 2013. Similar in this thread.
Check out "Mode/Quick-Play backup" in BD-RB, and you should find your way.
Sharc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th September 2015, 15:12   #23136  |  Link
jdobbs

Quote:
I totally agree with what you have to say. But, some just do not give-a -damn, PayPal obviously one of them. To bad you can sue them. They have the money and lots of lawyers. I wonder who the idiot was that you were dealing with.

You can import one or more video files, Blu-ray discs, or DVD discs. BD-RB will create a pseudo-BD structure. A menu will be generated during the import. Look at HIDDENOPTS.TXT to see parameters that can be modified to customize the menu (or menus if many files are being imported). There are also settings that can be made using the SETTINGS/IMPORT/Quick Play menu.

You can then re-encode that structure into a compliant BD.

Last edited by jdobbs; 15th September 2015 at 22:43.
jdobbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th September 2015, 00:51   #23137  |  Link
MrVideo

Thanks guys. After I get other issues resolved, I'll play around and see what happens.
Old 16th September 2015, 03:54   #23138  |  Link
DMagic1

Question/Problem:
I've had BDRebuilder on my old machine for ever with no issues. I a few months ago I built a new machine and added rebuilder.
On the new machine I can never get "preview this item" to work. It always says "cannot render the file" in media player classic. I'm sure I must be missing something but I don't know what. The inspection log shows everything ok. I even looked at my old machine and made sure I have all the same stuff installed as far as I can tell. Any suggestions?
DMagic1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th September 2015, 11:36   #23139  |  Link
kufo

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMagic1 View Post
Question/Problem:
I've had BDRebuilder on my old machine for ever with no issues. I a few months ago I built a new machine and added rebuilder.
On the new machine I can never get "preview this item" to work. It always says "cannot render the file" in media player classic. I'm sure I must be missing something but I don't know what. The inspection log shows everything ok. I even looked at my old machine and made sure I have all the same stuff installed as far as I can tell. Any suggestions?
If you´re running windows 10 on your machine the reason could be a missing codec. In my opinion windows 10 is without media player at the moment.
kufo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th September 2015, 13:20   #23140  |  Link
jdobbs

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMagic1 View Post
Question/Problem:
The CODECs are built into Media Player Classic (which BD-RB uses for preview). It has to be an Avisynth issue. Are you sure it is installed properly? Try installing it again.