Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > (HD) DVD, Blu-ray & (S)VCD > (HD) DVD & Blu-ray authoring
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 24th May 2009, 01:49   #1  |  Link
bcovington

Green Blocks with VC-1 Blu Ray

Hey Guys,

It seems any Blu Ray I get that is made with VC-1 displays with green blocks or pixels during playback. This happens when played from the disk or played from the hard drive. It doesn't matter.
I searched for a way to update the vc1 codec without success. I'm using Powerdvd9 to play the blu rays.
Any ideas on how to get rid of these blocks?
Image attached. Capture from Despereaux.

Thanks

bcovington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th May 2009, 01:55   #2  |  Link
Inspector.Gadget

Does this happen in MPC-HC?
Inspector.Gadget is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th May 2009, 02:01   #3  |  Link
setarip_old

@bcovington

Hi!

Are you referring to the playback of an original, commercial BluRay disc, or a copy/conversion you've made (with BD-RB or similar)?

I've done several such conversions of VC-1 BluRay discs (and HD-DVD discs) with no such "garbage" displayed when played back under PowerDVD v.7.3 (with, intentionally, no updates).

1) It may be the software player at fault

2) Have you played your original, commercial BluRay disc with Power DVD, to see if it displays the same "garbage"? - If it does, have you played it on a standalone player?
setarip_old is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th May 2009, 14:18   #4  |  Link
bcovington

Yes, I am taking about original BluRay playback. Not a copy.

I do not have a stand alone BD player, only have my computer player.

I also suspect that it is a player issue, maybe PowerDVD9 has trouble with the VC-1 codec.....I just don't know.
Old 25th May 2009, 00:27   #5  |  Link
setarip_old

I'd suggest you take your original BluRay to an electronics store and test it on several of their BluRay players...
setarip_old is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th May 2009, 05:17   #6  |  Link
Adub
Fighting spam with a fish

I experienced something similar to this, and I solved it by switch my VC-1 decoder in FFdshow from wmv9 to libavcodec. I know other people may recommend the opposite, but it worked on my computer at the time. Try giving it a shot.

Of course, the program you are using may be running it's own internal decoder (which I suspect, now that I think about it). Are there any updates available for your software?

Does the same green artifact appear when you play the decrypted m2ts file with MPC-HC?
Old 25th May 2009, 15:53   #7  |  Link
Ghitulescu

It looks to me more like decompression artefacts, mostly due to lack of data or corrupt data.

What can be the cause? Well, bad BD disk, slow or defective unit, overheated CPU, incorrect video drivers, defective RAM, overloaded PCI-Bus.

I think that every BD-ROM producer and Video producer has a small utility that analises your hardware for BD compatibility. It might help dignosticing errors.
Ghitulescu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th May 2009, 21:55   #8  |  Link
bcovington

Quote:
Originally Posted by setarip_old View Post
I'd suggest you take your original BluRay to an electronics store and test it on several of their BluRay players...
Thanks, but it happens on every BD that I have, or that I have rented, that uses the VC-1. So, I do not believe it has anything to do with the physical disk.
Old 25th May 2009, 21:57   #9  |  Link
bcovington

Quote:
Originally Posted by setarip_old View Post
@bcovington

Hi!

Are you referring to the playback of an original, commercial BluRay disc, or a copy/conversion you've made (with BD-RB or similar)?

I've done several such conversions of VC-1 BluRay discs (and HD-DVD discs) with no such "garbage" displayed when played back under PowerDVD v.7.3 (with, intentionally, no updates).

1) It may be the software player at fault

2) Have you played your original, commercial BluRay disc with Power DVD, to see if it displays the same "garbage"? - If it does, have you played it on a standalone player?
Is there any disadvantage to switching back to Powerdvd 7.3 - I'm using 9 now. What am I giving up if I get an older version? If you think that will improve my vc-1 playback, maybe it's worth a try.
Old 25th May 2009, 22:00   #10  |  Link
bcovington

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inspector.Gadget View Post
Does this happen in MPC-HC?
Downloaded and tried MPC-HC .... .really looks like crap using that player. Unwatchable. Maybe I'm doing something wrong.
Old 25th May 2009, 22:38   #11  |  Link
rica

What's your video card?
rica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th May 2009, 03:19   #12  |  Link
bcovington

Quote:
Originally Posted by rica View Post
What's your video card?
Hey Guys, Problem solved.

Card is an ATI Radeon HD 3450.

I hate updating ATI catalyst.... it can be a real PITA. But I did go ahead and update to the latest drivers and that solved the problems with the VC-1 green blocks/fragments/artifacts.

Now I just have to take some time to go through my other forms of media, vista media center, HD TV, etc and see what the new ATI drivers have screwed up.

Thanks for all the help.