Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > General > Audio encoding

View Poll Results: The prescribed method in this article is...
The worst possible way to do it... 2 66.67%
More difficult than it has to be... 1 33.33%
Intended in the guides for the abolute n00b cuz even THEY would get it... 0 0%
Or a start, but needs improvement. 0 0%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 3. You may not vote on this poll

Old 28th June 2008, 22:41   #21  |  Link
nitricpyro

I think I have this...

I think I have a solution, however, I've noticed that when using VirtualDubMod I get the following error message on the video I'm trying to convert...

MPEG: Anachronistic or discontinuous timestamp found in video stream 0 at byte position 73..., from .... to ..... This may indicate an improper join.

I haven't joined anything so I'm not sure what this means... Could using DVD Shrink to convert the full movie into a single vob be causing this problem?
nitricpyro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th June 2008, 23:06   #22  |  Link
setarip_old

@nitricpyro

You're multitude of problems regarding "Becoming Jane", including your stated difficulty using MPEGMediator, convinced me to purchase the R1 version and "see for myself":
Quote:
...I got it to work using the "DivX :-) MPEG-4 Fast-Motion" codec ONLY WHEN I use the "DivX Audio" for the sound, as opposed to mp3 and wav. However, the program runs for a while except it never stops...When I aborted the program to check the video the sound was even more off, perhaps closer to two minutes off than the original second.
I ripped the DVD using RipIt4Me (v.1.6.4) and compressed/converted using MPEGMediator v.1.5 and the "DivX :-) MPEG-4 Fast-Motion" codec (video) and .MP3 audio at 128Kbps.

The end result was a perfectly synchronized DivX-compressed video with no "extra frames" at either the beginning or the end...

BTW - You stated that you ripped this Title using DVD Decrypter and DVD Shrink. In fact, as I speculated earlier, this Miramax release contains copy protection that neither of those programs can process. Therefore, would you please be good enough to explain this anomaly?

Last edited by setarip_old; 28th June 2008 at 23:15.
setarip_old is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th June 2008, 00:38   #23  |  Link
nitricpyro

Quote:
Originally Posted by setarip_old View Post
@nitricpyro

You're multitude of problems regarding "Becoming Jane", including your stated difficulty using MPEGMediator, convinced me to purchase the R1 version and "see for myself":I ripped the DVD using RipIt4Me (v.1.6.4) and compressed/converted using MPEGMediator v.1.5 and the "DivX :-) MPEG-4 Fast-Motion" codec (video) and .MP3 audio at 128Kbps.

The end result was a perfectly synchronized DivX-compressed video with no "extra frames" at either the beginning or the end...

BTW - You stated that you ripped this Title using DVD Decrypter and DVD Shrink. In fact, as I speculated earlier, this Miramax release contains copy protection that neither of those programs can process. Therefore, would you please be good enough to explain this anomaly?
No, I can't... since the initial post, I've tried the rip with RipIt4Me and DVDFab 5. Same problem.

I've literally tried each of the following methods...

DVDFab 5 - DVD Shrink - MPEG Mediator - DivX (out of sync audio but it has to be "DivX-Audio" for any codec Minute up front, 2 hours in back)
DVDFab 5 - MPEG Mediator (again, has to be DivX-Audio and still has out of sync audio)
RipIt4Me - DVD Shrink - MPEG Mediator - DivX (out of sync etc. )
RipIt4Me - MPEG Mediator - (Out of sync, extra time, jumpy video)

I've even tried....
DVDFab 5 - DVD Shrink - VirtualDubMod - DivX - (out of sync)
DVDFab 5 - DVD Shrink - Gordion Knot (all all it's jazz) - (out of sync)
DVDFab 5 - Gordion Knot - DivX (out of sync)

RipIt4Me - DVD Shrink etc.
etc. etc.

With Mediator it just seems to think there is a ton of extra data! I don't know why! Argh!

This is why I'm so frustrated, things that should be working seem to not be. This seems to happen to about %30 of the videos I work on. Half the time I have to start the rip over because of an I/O error or something, or for some reason despite the settings I choosen the programs want to give me a 400 or so MB file when I'm looking for 4000 k or 4.3 Gb. Perhaps I should just format the computer and start over... I do have tons and tons of programs on here as well as tons and tons of codecs.

I even got a video started today that seems to be More delayed at the beginning than it is in the middle or the end. Not progressive, like slowing adding up, just like somewhere it suddenly goes from 5600ms delay to 4250ms delay.

Let me know if I can send you any logs, or whatnot, I've gotta have something wrong because I'm doing it right. Let me know.

However, you brought up a question, if I rip with a program that can handle the copy protection (ie. RipIt4Me or DVDFab 5) and then run it through a program that can't handle it, like DVD Shrink, will it "not get past the protection?". Am I undoing the bypass by running it through DVD Shrink? And why is it ALWAYS perfectly synced when I just play it through DVD Shrink?

Last edited by nitricpyro; 29th June 2008 at 21:46. Reason: Corrected name of program
Old 29th June 2008, 03:45   #24  |  Link
setarip_old

Quote:
tons and tons of codecs.
This (or a virus) is very likely the source of your problem. You should ONLY install the SPECIFIC codecs you need!

Quote:
if I rip with a program that can handle the copy protection (ie. RipIt4Me or DVDFab 5) and then run it through a program that can't handle it, like DVD Shrink, will it "not get past the protection?".
If you've successfully and properly ripped the DVD with, for example, RipIt4Me, and you intend to create an .AVI, there's absolutely no reason to run it through DVD Shrink!

BTW - The correct name of the program is MPEG Mediator (v.1.5)
Old 30th June 2008, 00:23   #25  |  Link
nitricpyro

Quote:

If you've successfully and properly ripped the DVD with, for example, RipIt4Me, and you intend to create an .AVI, there's absolutely no reason to run it through DVD Shrink!

BTW - The correct name of the program is MPEG Mediator (v.1.5)
I corrected the name, my bad.

Also though, RipIt4Me doesn't have the option to rip to a single vob for use with VirtualDubMod neither does DVDFab 5. MPEG Mediator and Gordian Knot can handle multiple files but when I've got an episodic dvd I can't rip "Movie Only" and get everything I need. Without DVD Shrink I don't know how to find which files go with which episodes if I rip the "Full-DVD" or an ISO. Could you explain how I would go about this without using Shrink?
Old 30th June 2008, 00:48   #26  |  Link
setarip_old

I've provided you with a valid (and personally tested) concept of ripping the "Becoming Jane" Region 1 DVD with RipIt4Me and converting to DivX-compressed .AVI using MPEG Mediator (v.1.5).

You are now seeking information regarding other situations. Perhaps, another poster will provide it...

Last edited by setarip_old; 30th June 2008 at 01:02.
Old 30th June 2008, 04:49   #27  |  Link
nitricpyro

Very True

Quote:

You are now seeking information regarding other situations. Perhaps, another poster will provide it...
Yes very true, I have strayed a bit from the Audio topic...

I am in the process of reinstalling everything now on my other machine. When I get done I will try again with your method and either search or create another post inquiring how to get the other stuff off the disk (extras etc.) without using DVD Shrink.

I'm actually having this problem with approximately 60 of my movies, some newer, some very old which is why my questions are not revolving around "Becoming Jane" explicitly. You're success however makes me almost positive it's simply a problem with my system not the methods I've tried.

Will post later.
Old 30th June 2008, 06:59   #28  |  Link
setarip_old

Quote:
I am in the process of reinstalling everything now on my other machine.
And again, you stated:
Quote:
tons and tons of codecs.
And again, I will say - This (or a virus) is very likely the source of your problem. You should ONLY install the SPECIFIC codecs you need!
Old 30th June 2008, 20:17   #29  |  Link
nitricpyro

Quote:

And again, you stated:

And again, I will say - This (or a virus) is very likely the source of your problem. You should ONLY install the SPECIFIC codecs you need!
Yeah, as in Windows, Office, my mail client, etc, etc... not everything as in codecs that I have.
Old 1st July 2008, 03:56   #30  |  Link
nitricpyro

Update

So here is the verdict...

I have reinstalled everything (that belongs on my computer NOT everything I have for ripping etc.)

In terms of video encoding....
Doing a clean install of only, RipIt4Me (which includes DVD Decrypter and FixVTS) DVDFab 5 and MPEG Mediator 1.5 and then the DivX 6 codec. I was able to produce a poor quality DivX encoded video of "Becoming Jane." SOME of my problems were coming from other programs or installed codecs that were interfering with the processes of MPEG Mediator 1.5.

Now let me explain... the video was indeed perfectly in sync. I'm impressed. However, Mediator doesn't do a very good job of producing the Superior Quality DivX encoded films that i'm looking for. The inability of the program to do multi-passes, the "Joggy" pictures stream, and the lack of features leaves a bit to be desired.

I don't like MPEG Mediator, I'm looking for something better. You might recall that I originally got the movie to work, albeit with 1:42 blank at the beginning, and 2 hours blank at the end, but the part in the middle was "joggy" when playing (and trust me not because of my system, My Media center PC is a bit old, but this machine that I'm testing this stuff on is a Core2 Quad with 2 Gigs Ram (for work).) which can only mean Mediator encoded poorly.

Now as for my other questions posted. I'm here looking to learn, not simply to figure out a single issue and then sit idle waiting for another issue to arise. This entire week I've been working on numerous movies, with numerous issues. Perhaps 20 different encodings in the past 4 days alone from movies ranging from 1982 to 2007 with different issues than this specific film. I'm trying to understand the whole process, the ability of these programs as well as the underlying principles, current copy protection schemes, the "masters" methods etc. I ask specific questions for specific reasons, I'm looking for specific answers.

... Pulldown Flags... thats the stuff I'm looking for.
Old 1st July 2008, 04:04   #31  |  Link
setarip_old

Quote:
the video was indeed perfectly in sync.
1) Now you know that MPEGMediator was not at fault

2) Now you know that you've properly cleaned up your system

Therefore, why don't you now once again try using AutoGK?

BTW - I see you've now used a different DivX codec with MPEG Mediator (v.1.5). You might want to try the previously used "Fast Motion" codec set to 1500Kbps or so...

Last edited by setarip_old; 1st July 2008 at 04:10.
Old 1st July 2008, 04:26   #32  |  Link
nitricpyro

Quote:
1) Now you know that MPEGMediator was not at fault

2) Now you know that you've properly cleaned up your system

Therefore, why don't you now once again try using AutoGK?
Okay, perhaps this will help us... My answer is, "I'm in the process of trying that, as well as DVDFab 5 to VirtualDubMod as well as what was suggested in the other post, and have continued to work on other issues with other films." I'm very familiar with the "test it and see" philosophy... I've been messing around with some of these files for months. I'm looking for deeper answers here... What is MPEG Mediator doing with these audio streams that the other programs are not? What in the program is allowing it to process correctly what others could not? And here is a good one, What exactly is going on that my computer (using DVD Shrink and DVDFab 5 preview) can play these films accurately and correctly and yet somewhere in translation it simply can't "save" them that way.

In other words, i'm looking to learn to fish, not to be fed.

By the way, MPEG Mediator totally botches "The Water Horse", (even after the clean install) the sound starts correct but is completely off by the end. This is why I've been trying DVDFab 5 - VirtualDubMod and have posted respective questions in other posts.
Old 1st July 2008, 20:31   #33  |  Link
nitricpyro

Problem Solved

After running a few encodes last night I have discovered that my original problem was the way in which I used (or didn't use) the Pulldown Flags for the audio.

Typically I have been using the prescribed method found on the ripping tab in Gordian Knot...

I.E.
"...If "Framerate" is 29.970 (NTSC) and "Video Type" is FILM at a percentage higher or
equal to 95% check "ForceFilm" in "Field Operation", otherwise make sure it is NOT checked...
Thanx to Jackei for the best decoder available!"

On some films where the audio delay is not reported correctly (I.E. Becoming Jane, The Water Horse, and others I haven't checked) ignoring this warning and selecting "Honor Pulldown Flags" worked like a charm.
Old 1st July 2008, 21:42   #34  |  Link

Actually, running Honor Pulldown Flags versus Force Film does not change the duration of the audio or video streams and so cannot change audio sync. However, choosing Ignore Pulldown Flags *can* affect the audio sync, and that is why you have to be very careful when using VirtualDubMod to decode MPEG2.

Quote:
After running a few encodes last night I have discovered that my original problem was the way in which I used (or didn't use) the Pulldown Flags for the audio.
Audio does not have pulldown flags.

Last edited by Guest; 1st July 2008 at 21:45.
Guest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd July 2008, 02:50   #35  |  Link
nitricpyro

Quote:
Originally Posted by neuron2 View Post

Audio does not have pulldown flags.
Okay, I'm confused again, when I originally ran the encode I used the "Forced Film" option in the version of DGIndex 1.4.3 that comes with the Gordian Knot "pack" and the video was out of sync with the audio. When I use Honor Pulldown Flags it is in sync. What is the difference between these that would (perhaps in this instance only) change the sync of the completed DivX? Is it the version of DGIndex (1.4.3) I was using?

Last edited by nitricpyro; 2nd July 2008 at 02:53.
Old 2nd July 2008, 03:23   #36  |  Link

I suppose that some other thing was changed as well.
Guest is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
audio issues, divx, dvdshrink, sync, vstrip