Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Hardware & Software > Software players

Old 22nd December 2015, 13:34   #34801  |  Link
Nullack

Quote:
Originally Posted by enphenate View Post
I have a Samsung UN50JU6500 UHD TV and every time MadVR changes my refresh rate to 23Hz, my TV gets kicked off of 4:4:4 at 1080p. At 1080p 60hz I can do 4:4:4 or full RGB without a problem, but when it changes to any different refresh rate, my TV no longer stays in PC mode (4:4:4). Its immediately noticeable because when it fails to pass 4:4:4 all of the image customization (RGB / White Balance) become available.

Anyone have an idea why? Does my TV only support 4:4:4 at 60hz and no other refresh rates or could this be a setting in MadVR?
Try setting the HDMI port to UHD colour mode. Read the manual for details.
Nullack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd December 2015, 14:49   #34802  |  Link
huhn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nullack View Post
Try setting the HDMI port to UHD colour mode. Read the manual for details.
not going to work. it's a samsung they can't do 4:4:4 outside of 60 hz and in rare cases 30 hz.

the JU6500 can't do proper 23/24p anyway so not a huge loss.
huhn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd December 2015, 15:12   #34803  |  Link
Nullack

My samsung does 4:4:4 from 60hz all the way down to the 30s, 24s etcetc since I enabled the UHD mode.
Nullack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd December 2015, 16:21   #34804  |  Link
Probe

Quote:
Originally Posted by madshi View Post
There are no specific requirements that I'm aware of. Make sure you use the latest LAV *nightly* build, but even if you don't, HDR files should still look "ok".

Please make a screenshot of the madVR Ctrl+J OSD when playing a HDR video. Don't attach it to this forum, but upload it to some image uploading/sharing host.
Thanks for the response...just before providing the OSD...I decided to play with some additional settings...I eventually resolved the issue by changing the downscale setting from Lanczos to DXVA2. I assume having the processing done by the GPU is required? I am coming from a AMD 6570 now using a gtx 960 and trying to get the consistent glitch free performance I had with the AMD...still in the experimental phase.

for the record...with the HDR feature now working I think the image at 400 nits looks great!. Thank you for your efforts.
Probe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd December 2015, 16:24   #34805  |  Link
huhn

sending 4:4:4 and getting 4:4:4 are two totally different things.

samsung is well know for the 60 hz limitation and for the broken 23p limitation for the not that expense screens too.

but if they fix it fine by me and about time after how many years?
Old 22nd December 2015, 21:38   #34806  |  Link
Georgel
Visual Novel Dev.

Quote:
Originally Posted by har3inger View Post
The source probably has a lot of source dither/grain/noise. This may be the producer's intention. Unless your screen bit depth is set really low, any of madvr's dithering algorithms shouldn't add much noise at all.

You can already turn off dither in MadVR. Rendering > Dithering > None. Use that, and compare to see if there's more or less noise. However, using no dither is always a terrible idea. You get banding and posterization artifacts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asmodian View Post
Ordered Dithering is the lowest noise option and it is much better for Anime than rounding (None). Use Ordered Dithering, turn off "change dither for every frame", and leave on "use colored noise" for the lowest visible noise configuration. Personally I like both options off, colored noise is worse than luma noise, but the difference is subtle.

I almost always watch Anime myself.

I would be very surprised if you could see the noise from 8-bit ordered dithering with "change dither for every frame" disabled. I cannot. The noise you observed in Kaleid Liner Prisma Illya was probably not due to dithering, you don't see it in every source do you?

Please do not use "None", it makes me sad when people disable dithering.

Thanks for all the help!

I do not observe the noise in every anime I watch, but in some there is some noise, and it becomes visible, and kind of distracts me, because I enter a thinking mode where I ask myself if it could not be repaired.

Then I think that it was the original design that had the noise in there.

About the bit depth of the material, it is either 8 or 10 bit, where my monitor, LG Display LP173WF4-SPF1 is 10 bit (I think I remember reading this in a review (?) ).

It is totally true that some anime do not show even the least amount of noise with error diffuse 2, but Fate series seem to have quite a big amount of noise in some scenes (why?).

Thanks for all the help!
Georgel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd December 2015, 22:15   #34807  |  Link
huhn

they simply add noise because they wanted to let a scene looks noisy.

and are you sure it is a LP173WF4-SPF1 ?
that would mean it is a 700 CR 6 bit AH IPS panel (first 6 bit IPS i have ever heard of)

http://www.panelook.com/LP173WF4-SPF...ter_21056.html

you are maybe able to reduce the noise by setting the bit deep to 6 in madVR and you may avoid double dithering but maybe not.

edit: and yeah a 6 bit panel can look a lot more noisy in dark scene than a 8 bit panel.
Old 22nd December 2015, 22:29   #34808  |  Link
CarlosCaco

Quote:
Originally Posted by chros View Post
It doesn't really matter: they are all 6bit+FRC
So what is the correct setting option should i put? native bit depth 6 or 8?
a i can see difference with better quality at 8 but maybe i´m wrong
what FRC doe?
CarlosCaco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd December 2015, 22:30   #34809  |  Link
Asmodian

Quote:
Originally Posted by py930828 View Post
1. In DX9 mode, I can't use the exclusive mode since once I able exclusive mode, the full screen is just going to be black screen.

2. Instead of the increasing of dropped frame in DX11 mode, DX9 mode increases presentation glitches a lot, one completely movie might have 200 more presentation glitches.

Again, just a reminder, I am using a laptop with 3630QM+970M, do you think this can be a problem?

This might be a problem that I hope can be fixed in the next version.
Also, could you please tell me what is the benefit of setting it to DX11? Does the graphics looks better or it's mean to be more efficient?

There are some screen shots that might give you some information
Madshi, hope this can be helpful and not boring you.
Do not use FSE if it makes something not work, the only reason for it is to improve stability so if it hurts it leave it off.

Same for DX11, no image changes, just another software path that may or may not work better.

Have you tried Windowed Oveay? (Requires both FSE and DX11 disabled).
Old 22nd December 2015, 22:34   #34810  |  Link
huhn

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarlosCaco View Post
only testing will tell you this. i guess 6 bit will be better. seeing a difference shouldn't be really hard.

Quote:
what FRC doe?
it's a version of dithering.
i have only one screen with FRC and it does a poor job with it.

Last edited by huhn; 23rd December 2015 at 09:20.
Old 22nd December 2015, 22:35   #34811  |  Link
Asmodian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarlosCaco View Post
what FRC doe?
In my testing I preferred madVR set to 6-bit on a 6-bit panel but I am sure it depends on the display.

FRC flickers the pixel color between different 6-bit values in order to look like an 8-bit color the panel cannot display. This is not the cause of the noise you see (that is in the source) but it can make it more visible.
Old 22nd December 2015, 23:06   #34812  |  Link
py930828

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asmodian View Post
Do not use FSE if it makes something not work, the only reason for it is to improve stability so if it hurts it leave it off.

Same for DX11, no image changes, just another software path that may or may not work better.

Have you tried Windowed Oveay? (Requires both FSE and DX11 disabled).
I tried windows overlay, mpc shows "creating Direct3D device failed (8876087b), I disable both FSE and DX11

Last edited by py930828; 22nd December 2015 at 23:10.
py930828 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd December 2015, 00:49   #34813  |  Link
enphenate

Quote:
Originally Posted by SweetLow View Post
It's Samsung "feature"
Quote:
Originally Posted by huhn View Post
not going to work. it's a samsung they can't do 4:4:4 outside of 60 hz and in rare cases 30 hz.

the JU6500 can't do proper 23/24p anyway so not a huge loss.
Quote:
sending 4:4:4 and getting 4:4:4 are two totally different things.

samsung is well know for the 60 hz limitation and for the broken 23p limitation for the not that expense screens too.

but if they fix it fine by me and about time after how many years?
Dang that sucks, my 4 year old LG 37LD450 passed 4:4:4 at all of the lower refresh rates

So what is my best option for watching movies with MadVR? I know the UN50JU6500 does have 24p judder but I dont notice it.

Should I play all files at 60hz while passing 4:4:4 without MadVR changing the refresh rates, or do I let MadVR choose the proper refresh rate and dealing with not passing 4:4:4? Again this is all in 1080p.

My main concern about it not passing 4:4:4 at 23hz is that I am calibrating my screen and creating a 3D LUT for MadVR, so Im trying to decide what best screen mode to create it with. Either not passing 4:4:4 at 23hz and have full control of my color and white balance, or passing 4:4:4 at 60hz in PC mode but having little control over fine tuning the screen.

Im just trying to get the best overall experience with what I can work with.
enphenate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd December 2015, 01:51   #34814  |  Link
huhn

Quote:
Originally Posted by enphenate View Post
Dang that sucks, my 4 year old LG 37LD450 passed 4:4:4 at all of the lower refresh rates

So what is my best option for watching movies with MadVR? I know the UN50JU6500 does have 24p judder but I dont notice it.

Should I play all files at 60hz while passing 4:4:4 without MadVR changing the refresh rates, or do I let MadVR choose the proper refresh rate and dealing with not passing 4:4:4? Again this is all in 1080p.

My main concern about it not passing 4:4:4 at 23hz is that I am calibrating my screen and creating a 3D LUT for MadVR, so Im trying to decide what best screen mode to create it with. Either not passing 4:4:4 at 23hz and have full control of my color and white balance, or passing 4:4:4 at 60hz in PC mode but having little control over fine tuning the screen.

Im just trying to get the best overall experience with what I can work with.
think about 60 hz only with smooth motion.

if you didn't notice the judder issue at 23p than you shouldn't notice it at 60 hz because it is the same so you could disable smooth motion but i would get crazy without it.
Old 23rd December 2015, 04:46   #34815  |  Link
enphenate

Quote:
think about 60 hz only with smooth motion.

if you didn't notice the judder issue at 23p than you shouldn't notice it at 60 hz because it is the same so you could disable smooth motion but i would get crazy without it.
Im still confused at what the best option would be to use with MadVR? 4:4:4 60hz with limited calibration ability or 23hz with full calibration ability but not passing 4:4:4.
enphenate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd December 2015, 06:56   #34816  |  Link
Asmodian

Only you can judge. What looks better to you?
Old 23rd December 2015, 09:46   #34817  |  Link
ryrynz

Can someone give me a heads up on how filepath is used? Can it be used to cover all files under that directory and all sub directories? Also does it work with network shares? If not I'd like to have support for those.

Code:
If (filepath = "c:\users\admin\desktop") "profile"
Using the above I can't get the profile doesn't activate when launching a file located in that directory. What's wrong?
ryrynz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd December 2015, 10:21   #34818  |  Link
SweetLow

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryrynz View Post
Can someone give me a heads up on how filepath is used? Can it be used to cover all files under that directory and all sub directories? Also does it work with network shares? If not I'd like to have support for those.

Code:
If (filepath = "c:\users\admin\desktop") "profile"
Using the above I can't get the profile doesn't activate when launching a file located in that directory. What's wrong?
RTFM
filePath, fileName, fileExt e.g. "c:\movie.mkv", "movie.mkv", "mkv", _wildcards_ supported

so use if (filepath = "c:\users\admin\desktop\*.*") "profile"
SweetLow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd December 2015, 10:47   #34819  |  Link
ryrynz

Quote:
Originally Posted by SweetLow View Post
RTFM
filePath, fileName, fileExt e.g. "c:\movie.mkv", "movie.mkv", "mkv", _wildcards_ supported

so use if (filepath = "c:\users\admin\desktop\*.*") "profile"
I did. I think I had the network share typed wrong when I tried that the first time because adding \ and *.* were the very first things I tried when it didn't work.
ryrynz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd December 2015, 11:06   #34820  |  Link
SweetLow

i test both network and local paths - all working fine.
p.s. \*.* - shall not be the spaces between backslash and asterisk (and before backslash too)
p.p.s. and no success with non ascii symbols in path! - to madshi

Last edited by SweetLow; 23rd December 2015 at 11:23.
SweetLow is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
direct compute, dithering, error diffusion, madvr, ngu, nnedi3, quality, renderer, scaling, uhd upscaling, upsampling