Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Announcements and Chat > General Discussion
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 31st December 2008, 00:35   #1  |  Link
andrewwan1980

Good convert output from RM(VB) for editing

Just wanted some opinions & advice on a good video container/codec to use for cutting a film.

I have a film in RM (sometimes RMVB). There is a huge lack of freeware editing tools for RM(VB) files. So I use SUPER to convert RM(VB) to something else, eg. AVI(Divx/Xvid), or MPEG2, etc. because there's loads of free cutting tools for MPEG2 & AVI (I think).

I tried a little MPEG2 conversion. While it's converting I copy the output file and play it to see if it's not garbled. It looks okay, but the frame rate is too high/fast... while the sound plays normal speed -- hence out-of-sync. So I try AVI(Xvid). The output sample I taken plays fine.

Probably the best container/codec is MPEG2 for best quality .... and there's good cutting tools. But I doubt I can get SUPER working properly.

SUPER can do many other file formats. So my question is, besides MPEG2, what is a good output container/codec for cutting? ... interms of keeping quality/sound, etc.

Last edited by Guest; 31st December 2008 at 00:45. Reason: rule 12
andrewwan1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st December 2008, 00:46   #2  |  Link

Where are you getting these RM(VB) films?
Guest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st December 2008, 02:27   #3  |  Link
andrewwan1980

Oh, they're not holywood movies or films like that. They're films made by my friend who's produced them as rm(vb).

Since I don't have the source, nor have Real Producer I can't edit them. But I like to cut them down to keep the parts I like to save disk space.
Old 31st December 2008, 13:35   #4  |  Link
Nick
One click is all it takes

Obviously, conversion to any other (lossy) format will degrade quality. If you don't have the facility to edit the files without conversion yourself, ask your friend really nicely.

Failing that, if you have directshow codecs on your system to play the file, perhaps you could use Avisynth. I think SUPER installs it but couldn't be sure. If not, a search engine will easily find. Once avisynth is installed:

Open notepad and copy this in:

DirectShowSource("%filename",fps=%framerate)

Replace %filename with the path and filename and %framerate for the framerate of the file. Doing Properties from the file menu of the media player you play the file on usually gives this information.

Save the file as whatever.avs

Open it in something like VirtualDub or Avidemux. You can then edit as you wish before encoding to AVI (VDub) or your chosen container (avidemux).
Note Avidemux is slightly more complex. You open the AVS file using avsproxy.exe, then set Avidemux to connect to it. VDub, IIRC, supports avs files directly.
Nick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st January 2009, 01:41   #5  |  Link
andrewwan1980

Is there directshow codecs for RealMedia files? Do they exist?

Ahh, Avisynth I could write a avs file of all the cuts I want? Can you write a sample cut list file for me please.
Old 1st January 2009, 18:59   #6  |  Link
Inspector.Gadget

@andrewwan - You want Real Alternative to get RV/RA playback under Dshow; you can skip the browser plugins and MPC install if you only need it for editing and local playback and already have a Dshow frontend (MPC,MPC-HC,etc.) you're happy with. MeGUI can create a video cut list based on selected points while you preview your AVS script in MeGUI's "Avisynth Script Creator" and you can also use these in conjunction with your audio AVS script to cut the decoded Real audio before encoding to whatever format.

Additionally, while I'm not sure of a way to check for muxing delays with Real audio, I know that Media Player Classic will accurately report the framerate to be used with Nick's suggestion above. As far as a new container and audio/video codecs, the trend seems to be toward H.264 in a Matroska container, but both MeGUI and Avidemux will also let you use ASP in a MKV or AVI container.
Inspector.Gadget is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th January 2009, 15:12   #7  |  Link
mgh

you can use free Real Producer (basic) to do the editing. The editor is under File-edit real media. The double arrow buttons go to I frames, use them to select start and end points of what to keep. Join the individual cuts with append in the editor.