Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Hardware & Software > Software players
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 9th May 2020, 09:59   #59521  |  Link
shashank066

How to play 4:4:4 videos without chroma reduction to 4:2:0? madVr osd shows "h264, 10 bit 4:4:4 -> NV12, 8 bit, 4:2:0". I tried changing video decoders between ffmpeg and lav but the output is the same.

Last edited by shashank066; 9th May 2020 at 10:08.
shashank066 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th May 2020, 10:17   #59522  |  Link
failax

Quote:
Originally Posted by huhn View Post
no just disable everything that's not HEVC or VP9 or disable 1080p and lower so software is used in this case.
Sorry me..how can i do this?I deselect those from lav video configuration?

Last edited by failax; 9th May 2020 at 11:33.
failax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th May 2020, 12:41   #59523  |  Link
huhn

Quote:
Originally Posted by failax View Post
Sorry me..how can i do this?I deselect those from lav video configuration?
yes

Quote:
Originally Posted by shashank066 View Post
How to play 4:4:4 videos without chroma reduction to 4:2:0? madVr osd shows "h264, 10 bit 4:4:4 -> NV12, 8 bit, 4:2:0". I tried changing video decoders between ffmpeg and lav but the output is the same.
this should work by default.
if you are using mpc-hc go to play -> filters -> "copy filter list to..."

and post that here there are a lot of other filter that can change this.
huhn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th May 2020, 13:21   #59524  |  Link
failax

Quote:
yes
Results are not great compared with vlc deinterlacer.
Old 9th May 2020, 13:33   #59525  |  Link
huhn

sorry i don't even know what GPU you are using and if you even changed deint settings in madVR.

madVR uses DXVA2 deint if it is bad like with AMD you will get a bad result.

try yadif in lavfilter as an alternitive.
Old 9th May 2020, 13:38   #59526  |  Link
failax

Quote:
sorry i don't even know what GPU you are using and if you even changed deint settings in madVR.

madVR uses DXVA2 deint if it is bad like with AMD you will get a bad result.

try yadif in lavfilter as an alternitive.
I have an intel nuc, i have not changed anything in madvr default deinterlace settings, because i want to use D3D11 in madvr.
If i use yadif in lavfilter it will be forced even if video is not interlaced?
Old 9th May 2020, 13:44   #59527  |  Link
huhn

not it will only be used on interlaced content.
but intel is supposed to have a good deint.
so plz make a screen of the OSD maybe i can see something wrong.
Old 9th May 2020, 14:26   #59528  |  Link
garson

Quote:
Originally Posted by shashank066 View Post

How do you get details for average stats?
garson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th May 2020, 14:41   #59529  |  Link
clsid

@failax
D3D11 rendering may perform worse on Intel GPU. There have been a few reports from people where it gives stuttering.
D3D11 decoding (in LAV) doesn't support deinterlacing in native mode. That has not yet been implemented in madVR.

@garson
Create a folder called "ShowRenderSteps" within the madvr folder. It may reduce performance a tiny bit, so only use it for testing.
clsid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th May 2020, 16:25   #59530  |  Link
failax

Quote:
not it will only be used on interlaced content.
but intel is supposed to have a good deint.
so plz make a screen of the OSD maybe i can see something wrong.
Deselecting D3D11 for Sd and Mpg files and putting Yadif and aggressive mode I reached discrete results.Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by clsid View Post
@failax
D3D11 rendering may perform worse on Intel GPU. There have been a few reports from people where it gives stuttering.
D3D11 decoding (in LAV) doesn't support deinterlacing in native mode. That has not yet been implemented in madVR.
I've no problem with D3D11, sometimes with LAV audio filters, but after reinstalling MPC Be and filters it returns to normality.
Old 10th May 2020, 03:43   #59531  |  Link
shashank066

Quote:

this should work by default.
if you are using mpc-hc go to play -> filters -> "copy filter list to..."

and post that here there are a lot of other filter that can change this.
Thank you, it worked correctly with mpc-hc. I was trying potplayer previously. Disabling video transform filter in potplayer gives full 4:4:4 output. Avisynth(needed due to svp) in potplayer was causing chroma subsampling.
shashank066 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th May 2020, 20:05   #59532  |  Link
curael

Hi friends,

I am running into a peculiar issue with my RTX 2080 on newest GeForce Game Ready driver as of today.

When I try to use MadVR's Custom Modes to create and measure a custom 23hz profile, I can see that MadVR "activates" it and litereally thinks it is using it. But in the Nvidia Control Panel, I can see it has changed the refresh rate to 24hz. From then on, if I ever try to change anything on the 23hz profile, I can press "Test mode" and I can see that even though 23hz is clicked and marked, MadVR activates 24hz mode, and hence, nothing is being applied to the 23hz mode. It's like my system won't accept 23hz and creates a 24hz instead. How ever, of course the default 23hz profile works fine. It just won't create a custom instead.

No matter what I do, the refresh rate created when I "edit" 23hz is in fact 24hz in the Nvidia Control Panel. I did a clean driver install just to be sure.

I'll paste in a photo here just so you can see what I mean with the two settings. :s
Here.

Any ideas?

I did a quick search on this but I couldn't really find anything about it - but of course I could have missed it. I also read the sparse documentation I could find on the whole Custom Mode feature - I'm sorry and I hope you can point me in the right direction.

I'd be happy to supply a video of the flow and the resulting issue if my description is not comprehensible with the attached photo. :|

EDIT: I guess I should metion I am on the latest stable of MadVR, available from the madvr website - I haven't dabbled in the betas.

/CuraeL

Last edited by curael; 13th May 2020 at 20:13.
curael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th May 2020, 20:49   #59533  |  Link
hannes69

The problems with 23Hz (23.976Hz) and 24Hz (24.000Hz) seem to be very frequent.
Often it is a problem of certain drivers and you canīt really do anything against it directly.
If your display device accepts other refresh rates like 50Hz or 60 Hz thereīs a good chance that it accepts 47 Hz (meaning 47.952Hz = 2 * 23.976Hz) as well.
This would be the workaround so you can avoid the conflicting 23/24Hz modes by using 24.000Hz and 47.952Hz.
MadVR handles multiples of the needed refresh rate correctly, so you can use values like 47.952 Hz or 48.000Hz or 72.000Hz or 71.928Hz...
It is only important that your display device accepts it.

Another possibility is to use CRU (EDID overrides), but sometimes this method doesnīt work.
hannes69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th May 2020, 21:10   #59534  |  Link
curael

Quote:
Originally Posted by hannes69 View Post
Snippity-snip-snip
This would be the workaround so you can avoid the conflicting 23/24Hz modes by using 24.000Hz and 47.952Hz.
MadVR handles multiples of the needed refresh rate correctly, so you can use values like 47.952 Hz or 48.000Hz or 72.000Hz or 71.928Hz...
It is only important that your display device accepts it.

Another possibility is to use CRU (EDID overrides), but sometimes this method doesnīt work.
Interesting stuff. I did just run CRU for the first time. As you can probably see from my image I have a DENON receiver in between the graphics output device and my display. In CRU the DENON shows up, and under "detailed resolutions" I added one for 23.976 and restarted the PC. Under my resolutions I now have a custom PC resolution set to 24hz again, but when I run a video stream in MadVR I clock in at 23.977, which is almost on the spot for the new resolution. :s So even if NVCP reports 24Hz, could it be that 23.976Hz is really being utilized? My findings certainly seem to confirm this. That is just so odd since the default 23Hz setting which should "target" 23.976Hz ends up at 23.980-something in MadVR's info. Hrm..

Anyway, it seems like CRU does something anyway, even if it's still saying 24. I dunno man - I appreciate the help and I think I'm just gonna live with the false number in Windows/Nvidia. Cause I can't explain it.
Old 13th May 2020, 23:15   #59535  |  Link
70MM
X Cinema Projectionist NZ

Can someone please help me setup custom resolution modes for madvr please as Ive had no luck from the tutorial here. http://madvr.com/crt/CustomResTutorial.html
I have the Nvidia 1080Ti card and use JRiver.

The tutorial looks different to my images below. They have an APPLY button, mine is Test Mode.
All Ive tried at this stage is 23hz but when I click test mode, it starts to load, click yes, then a box jumps up with "you cant modify the active mode"

Can someone please help me, what am I doing wrong? (see pix)
Thank you in advance....
(sorry cant load the pix here)

Last edited by 70MM; 13th May 2020 at 23:21.
70MM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th May 2020, 23:24   #59536  |  Link
curael

Quote:
Originally Posted by 70MM View Post
Can someone please help me setup custom resolution modes for madvr please as Ive had no luck from the tutorial here. http://madvr.com/crt/CustomResTutorial.html
I have the Nvidia 1080Ti card and use JRiver.

The tutorial looks different to my images below. They have an APPLY button, mine is Test Mode.
All Ive tried at this stage is 23hz but when I click test mode, it starts to load, click yes, then a box jumps up with "you cant modify the active mode"

Can someone please help me, what am I doing wrong? (see pix)
Thank you in advance....
(sorry cant load the pix here)
Hi, you gotta go into your AMD or Nvidia panel and change your Hz to 24, 25, 29, 30, 50 or 60 in order to click "Yes" in the window you mention. If your monitor or projector is already set to 23Hz, you cannot edit the mode as it is "active". So change to another Hz setting, then click "Test mode" on 23Hz and then you can hit "Yes".
Old 14th May 2020, 00:34   #59537  |  Link
Asmodian

Quote:
Originally Posted by curael View Post
Under my resolutions I now have a custom PC resolution set to 24hz again, but when I run a video stream in MadVR I clock in at 23.977, which is almost on the spot for the new resolution. :s So even if NVCP reports 24Hz, could it be that 23.976Hz is really being utilized?
Yes, this is what I see as well. Nvidia calls it 24Hz but it really is my custom 23.9xx refresh rate.
Old 14th May 2020, 00:36   #59538  |  Link
curael

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asmodian View Post
Yes, this is what I see as well. Nvidia calls it 24Hz but it really is my custom 23.9xx refresh rate.
Funny, isn't it? 🤔
Old 14th May 2020, 02:49   #59539  |  Link
70MM
X Cinema Projectionist NZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by curael View Post
Hi, you gotta go into your AMD or Nvidia panel and change your Hz to 24, 25, 29, 30, 50 or 60 in order to click "Yes" in the window you mention. If your monitor or projector is already set to 23Hz, you cannot edit the mode as it is "active". So change to another Hz setting, then click "Test mode" on 23Hz and then you can hit "Yes".
Can you tell me please...e.g. If Im setting up 23hz, I check the edid number of hz (23.975hz) do I then try and find from the list whatever one is the closest hz to 23.975hz and select it? Then test mode?

I set the card to 50hz, ran some 23hz material and tried everything on the list under test, it wouldnt allow any to pass. Why is this?

Last edited by 70MM; 14th May 2020 at 04:37.
70MM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th May 2020, 10:17   #59540  |  Link
QBhd
QB the Slayer

@curael

You can have a look at what I have found, it may be helpful or not since we have very different systems... but no harm in trying

QB's Standard EDID timings fix

QB

Tags
direct compute, dithering, error diffusion, madvr, ngu, nnedi3, quality, renderer, scaling, uhd upscaling, upsampling