Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Hardware & Software > Software players

Old 6th November 2020, 20:40   #60621  |  Link
tp4tissue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asmodian View Post
In PC mode my CX seems to round >8 bit to 8 bit internally (or something). I see much worse banding using 10 bit from madVR compared to 8 bit.

I agree YCbCr 444 limited is ideal for LG's OLEDs. I see worse near black banding when using full range RGB compared to limited range 444. It might just be the extra dithering but I think the display simply does better with limited range input.

Does that happen even after adjusting LG's new near black Gamma correction values ?
Old 6th November 2020, 21:04   #60622  |  Link
Asmodian

What are these new near black Gamma correction values?

They aren't going to change 10 bit v.s. 8 bit at all but it would be excellent to get better performance with full range RGB. I used Calman Video Pro to calibrate the TV so most of the calibration options in the UI are disabled but I do not see any new gamma correction options.
Old 7th November 2020, 01:44   #60623  |  Link
tp4tissue

Quote:
What are these new near black Gamma correction values?

They aren't going to change 10 bit v.s. 8 bit at all but it would be excellent to get better performance with full range RGB. I used Calman Video Pro to calibrate the TV so most of the calibration options in the UI are disabled but I do not see any new gamma correction options.
I think with the Calman it's automatic, but i remember in the circular, they said they were the first to introduce 1-3% gamma controls, sumtin,sumtin.
Old 7th November 2020, 02:03   #60624  |  Link
Asmodian

Ah, yes, there is a mode specifically for these TVs in Calman that uses a lot of near black steps. My i1d3 has trouble measuring the lowest step sometimes, even with near black read times turned way up.
Old 7th November 2020, 04:04   #60625  |  Link
Greenhorn

Anybody know if there's a severe disadvantage to adjusting gamma in madVR (with the Gamma Processing dropdown) vs creating separate 3DLUTs for multiple targets? I like to switch between targets based on content or viewing conditions sometimes, and the dropdown is just a lot less fussy ...
Greenhorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th November 2020, 05:07   #60626  |  Link
Asmodian

No, that is a good use case for the gamma processing drop down.
Old 7th November 2020, 05:58   #60627  |  Link
Greenhorn

Quote:
No, that is a good use case for the gamma processing drop down.
Thanks.
Old 7th November 2020, 06:14   #60628  |  Link
huhn

make sure the loaded 3D LUT is 2.2 in this case so you will get the gamma you select not "something".
but this should be as accurate as creating a new 3D LUT with the same gamma.

ignore bt 709/601 in there that seems to be a sRGB transfer function. if someone know what it really does feel free to tell us.
huhn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th November 2020, 06:53   #60629  |  Link
Greenhorn

Quote:
Originally Posted by huhn View Post
make sure the loaded 3D LUT is 2.2 in this case so you will get the gamma you select not "something".
but this should be as accurate as creating a new 3D LUT with the same gamma.

ignore bt 709/601 in there that seems to be a sRGB transfer function. if someone know what it really does feel free to tell us.
I have.

I'd be wary of making any hard statements about what madVR is doing, but-- while there's no actual BT.709/601 electro-optical transfer function (gamma), the inverse of their optical-electrical transfer function is apparently quite similar to the sRGB EOTF/gamma. (You can even calibrate to this hypothetical curve in DisplayCAL if you really really really want to check this.)

So that option resembling sRGB makes visual sense, even if exactly what's being done under the hood is unclear.
Old 7th November 2020, 13:51   #60630  |  Link
el Filou

Quote:
Originally Posted by tp4tissue View Post
That's the wrong question, the right question is will Madshi SUPPORT the latest cards.
I guess if Smart Access Memory will provide any performance enhancement depends on whether you're using software/copyback or native decoding, as decoded frames is the only thing that uses a lot of bandwidth between CPU and GPU in madVR. It's not clear how much devs need to add manual optimisations, AMD said you should get some benefits automatically. But if this needs manual optimisations to get the most out of it, maybe LAV is where the changes are needed and not madVR itself.
Old 7th November 2020, 15:57   #60631  |  Link
huhn

i don't except much from smart access video player.

currently you can address close to 256 mb at a time that's bigger then a 8K 16 bit image and i just assume it's fine to send each frame individual because if you have one ready send it i guess?

does this mean it will not add anything obviously not they are assumes.
huhn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th November 2020, 16:36   #60632  |  Link
flaviowolff

Guys, I would appreciate very much if someone could answer these questions regarding HDR reproduction, as this is a very big thread:

When using madVR's tonemapping (pixel shader), what is recommended to adjust on the TV side? Should I set it to full brightness - backlight full, contrast 100 etc - and gamma 2.2 (which I believe "hdr mode" fixes to on LG OLEDs) Also, should I change the TV's color gamut to extended/wide etc, or Auto is enough for it to correctly display colors when using madvr's hdr-to-sdr tonemapping?

Thanks!
flaviowolff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th November 2020, 19:55   #60633  |  Link
VBB

You can use the tone mapping, but you should enable HDR in madVR and set nits to 700. Leave everything as it is on the TV (100, 100, 50, AUTO). Make sure Dynamic Contrast/Tone-mapping (whatever it's called on newer models) is off.

Last edited by VBB; 8th November 2020 at 19:58.
VBB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th November 2020, 21:59   #60634  |  Link
flaviowolff

Quote:
Originally Posted by VBB View Post
You can use the tone mapping, but you should enable HDR in madVR and set nits to 700. Leave everything as it is on the TV (100, 100, 50, AUTO). Make sure Dynamic Contrast/Tone-mapping (whatever it's called on newer models) is off.
Thanks. I'll do that for the LG.
But I also have a Sony X900F. How would you suggest me to set it if not passing HDR signal trough?

My PC is kind of bugging and hdr signal passthough is a lottery. sometimes it will just dull the entire picture.
Old 8th November 2020, 22:30   #60635  |  Link
VBB

I would do the same for the Sony, which can get a little brighter than the OLED. So, maybe set nits at 800 or higher. HDR to SDR tone-mapping is really meant for projectors.

If your HDR picture is dull, that could be due to the current Nvidia drivers. Once you go full screen without any OSD/GUI, it should be fine.
Old 9th November 2020, 00:18   #60636  |  Link
flaviowolff

Quote:
I would do the same for the Sony, which can get a little brighter than the OLED. So, maybe set nits at 800 or higher. HDR to SDR tone-mapping is really meant for projectors.

If your HDR picture is dull, that could be due to the current Nvidia drivers. Once you go full screen without any OSD/GUI, it should be fine.
Good to know. My GPU is amd (5700xt). I'll try to figure out what the issue is, maybe install some old drivers.

So, when using madvr with televisions, we should still send the hdr metadata to put the tv in the appropriate brightness/gamma/color gamut mode? And since we are limiting the nits, the TV wont apply significant double-tonemapping?

Thanks once again
Old 9th November 2020, 00:23   #60637  |  Link
VBB

That's the point, yes. You want to make the best use of your HDR-capable display.
Old 9th November 2020, 05:26   #60638  |  Link
Anime Viewer
Troubleshooter

Optimus options disappeared from Windows 10 and MadVR/LAV

Recently an Intel update ran that I think is responsible for breaking the Optimus (Nvidia+Intel selection for which video card to use with which program) in Windows 10. I can't launch Nvidia Control Panel (its missing from the right click selection on the desktop), and clicking on it in Windows Control Panel does nothing. Has anyone else with an Optimus system encountered this issue? If so, did you find a solution and what is it (are there particular driver versions for both Intel and Nvidia that are recommended?). Anyone find a different way to control which GPU is used to run specific programs. I wouldn't mind primarily using the Nvidia for most tasks, but I suspect some things are tied directly to the Intel GPU (like the HDMI) so not everything could be run through the Nvidia GPU if there was even a way to do so. I'm hoping there is still a way to get MPC and MadVR to play my videos using my Nvidia Geforce GTX 680M instead of the much weaker Intel HD graphics 4000 that can't handle mid to high level scaling, rendering, and processing settings that the Nvidia does.
Old 9th November 2020, 08:41   #60639  |  Link
jkauff

If you do a search in this thread, you'll find lots of posts about Optimus (mostly problems).

The Nvidia Control Panel is now a free download in the Microsoft Store. Try installing that way.
jkauff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th November 2020, 10:16   #60640  |  Link
chros

Quote:
Originally Posted by flaviowolff View Post
When using madVR's tonemapping (pixel shader), what is recommended to adjust on the TV side? Should I set it to full brightness - backlight full, contrast 100 etc - and gamma 2.2 (which I believe "hdr mode" fixes to on LG OLEDs)?
Quote:
...you should enable HDR in madVR and set nits to 700...
^This. If you have HDR capable display then you don't want to feed it with SDR content at all
On the B8 DV is even better than HDR10.

Quote:
Originally Posted by flaviowolff View Post
So, when using madvr with televisions, we should still send the hdr metadata to put the tv in the appropriate brightness/gamma/color gamut mode? And since we are limiting the nits, the TV wont apply significant double-tonemapping?
Most of the TVs would still do additional tonemapping, you can't switch that off on most of them. But that's not an issue.
Normally you have to measure what nits your TV is capable of (B8 is around 700), or take values from rtings.
The issue is that LG needs proper metadata sent, that certain driver versions can screw up (even with nvidia).
LG needs BT.2020 with HDR10, DV is a complete black box

You can take a look the the link in my signature for madvr config.

Tags
direct compute, dithering, error diffusion, madvr, ngu, nnedi3, quality, renderer, scaling, uhd upscaling, upsampling