Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Video Encoding > High Efficiency Video Coding (HEVC)

Old 6th February 2016, 22:45   #1  |  Link
Petari

Problems with hevc in 64 bit mode + with SL

For start little longer history and why: I was active on this forum in period 2000-2006, then abandoned video encoding and processing in big part because had no need for it, but still did some special things. So, have some experience with this and Virtual Dub.

Then, couple months ago I saw that x265/hevs is more and more in use, so decided to give it a try. It was not that easy, and I dod not see some really usable guide, mostly saw some suggestions in forums, and how people solved some problems.
Mulder's Somple x264/5 Launcher was nice help, and I was able to do first transcoding after some tries. I had some TV serials hard to find. what DL-ed really slowly, and in zillion parts. Quality is best average, 720p mostly, and often noisy, with low contrast and like. 40 min episodes take typically 1.5 GB. I used some noise filterings with Avisynth and/or Wirtual Dub, + contrast/bright, colot corrections in many cases. The result was really good - size of video went in most cases to 1/4, without any visible degradation, and thanks to correction it looked actually better.
On Dual Core at 2.7 GHz it went very slow - 1.5-2 fps.
I wanted to use CoreAVC as directshow decoder, but it somehow works not good together with Simple Launcher - it just gets irresponsible - and same is now on new HW, 64-bit Windows, new CPU/MBO/RAM.

And here starts my trouble serial - Quad Core at 3.8 GHz seems to do same aprox 4x faster, what is beter than expected 3x, but I had and still have lot of troubles with 64-bit mode.
First problem is Virtual Dub's frameserver, what according to sipplied help works not in Vista and higher - that's why I installed 64-bit XP. Bad surprise was too that Avisynth 64-bit is not supported in last versions, and by original author/team.
I managed somehow to work it in 32-bit mode, but latest versions of free hevc encoder 64-bit just work not. I don't know is it because Simple Launcher - I see some stange things - AVStoYUV is not activated when select 64-bit 265 encoder.
To add, that all is good with frameserving from 64-bit Virtual Dub - with x264 encoder, so problem is not there or in Avisynth.
I still have no clue how much speed gain 64-bit mode can give. What seen is that 64-bit Virtual Dub takes much more RAM.

All in all, I tend to think that some things are still not OK in Simple Launcher - latest version fixed trivial bug of printing 264 at top while in 265 mode, but ....
If anyone has similar experiences, I think that will e-mail author.

Any suggestions about some other SW - but I would like to use Virtual Dub as frameserver, because it's filters and good overview.
Petari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th February 2016, 12:11   #2  |  Link
Ma

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petari View Post
[...] I installed 64-bit XP. [...] AVStoYUV is not activated when select 64-bit 265 encoder.
It could be related to x265 builds that works only on Win7 and above. You can try x265 that works with WinXP -- see this message http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.ph...35#post1756035
Ma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th February 2016, 15:27   #3  |  Link
Petari

Yep, that's it - . It works now, but I need to see about separated 8-10-12 bit encoders good for XP.
Could see the problem by simple try to run those encoder exe files.
Petari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th February 2016, 16:52   #4  |  Link
Ma

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petari View Post
It works now, but I need to see about separated 8-10-12 bit encoders good for XP.
I compiled x265 with '-DWINXP_SUPPORT=ON' option. You can try it www.msystem.waw.pl/x265/x265-1.9+7_WinXP-64.7z

For core2 CPU without SSE4.1 gcc53 version should be faster, for core2 with SSE4.1 -- vs2015.
Ma is offline   Reply With Quote