Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > (HD) DVD, Blu-ray & (S)VCD > DVD & BD Rebuilder

Old 21st April 2021, 07:10   #1  |  Link
Lowpro

Quick-Play Menus, the hidden gem of BD Rebuilder.

One of my favorite features of BD Rebuilder is the "Quick-Play" (QP) feature. I've been doing something for a while now that others might find useful, so I thought I'd share the love. I create all my QP menus ahead of time prior to building the Blu-ray that contains the actual video files. The test folder I use for creating my QP menus is shown below and can be downloaded here for those interested.

The above folder (192 KB) contains 14 sets of Blu-ray folders as that's the maximum number of titles I like to include per page. Each Blu-ray folder is identical and consists of a single blank video file that's 0.5 seconds long. When going to build the QP menu I update the [Titles] portion of the "titles.inf" file accordingly adding the title names. If I'm working with less than 14 titles I'm removing the additional line entries in each section in addition to removing the extra Blu-ray folders I don't need. If I'm working with more than 14 titles I do the opposite also ensuring I have the desired number of QP menu items per page set in the "BDREBUILDER.INI" file. With each Blu-ray folder only being 13.7 KB in size it takes no time at all for BD Rebuilder to build the Blu-ray and QP menu. I then test the Blu-ray in PowerDVD 18, rinse and repeat until I'm satisfied with the end result.

In my case I only use BD Rebuilder to create the given Quick-Play menu, i.e. to create the Blu-ray folder structure and encode the menu background. I always use my own image for the menu background. I only have BD Rebuilder create the QP menu item buttons. Well, BD Rebuilder still creates the Menu Backdrop. I just set it to be completely transparent. (MENU_BACKDROP_OPACITY=0). Instead I include the Menu Backdrop within the Menu Background I create in Photoshop. (See here for an example of what that looks like.) Each of my Menu Background images include the "Main Title" text, i.e. "Episode Selection" and Menu Backdrop that the QP menu item buttons sit on. And yes, my Menu Backdrop looks identical to what BD Rebuilder creates. I don't use the Menu Backdrop created by BD Rebuilder as I prefer to have my Menu Backdrops a fixed width where BD Rebuilder determines the width based on the longest QP menu item naming for a given page. Including the Menu Backdrop within my Menu Background image also allows me to control the padding the Menu Backdrop uses around the QP menu items.

And here's some eye candy for your viewing pleasure, including the quick and dirty on the process I follow...
I was working with MP4/SRT files in this case, one pair for each episode. The first step was extract the Dolby Digital Plus audio track from each MP4 for inclusion later. I then used SubtitleEdit to convert the SRT subtitles to SUP subtitles. With all my assets set to go I then authored the episodes to Blu-ray using multiAVCHD adding chapter stops, audio and subtitles along the way, a single Blu-ray with no menu. Once creating the Blu-ray with multiAVCHD I took the resulting files (M2TS/MPLS/CLPI) for each title (episode) integrating them with the Blu-ray menus I already created using BD Rebuilder, then updating the playlist (MPLS) for each title (episode) using BDedit ensuring each reference the correct M2TS file.

Leverage: The 1st Season

Leverage: The 2nd Season

Leverage: The 3rd Season

Leverage: The 4th Season

Leverage: The Final Season

Did I mention that I love BD Rebuilder's "Quick-Play" feature. :-P Being able to create the QP menus ahead of time has been a real timesaver. Since my Menu Background images contain everything but the QP menu item buttons it's essential I have a way to quickly build and test a given QP menu, then updating my "BDREBUILDER.INI" file and Menu Background image accordingly if needed building and testing again. In any event, I just thought I'd share the love. Feel free to download my test folder if you like. It can be downloaded from my secure website. I provided a download link near the top of the post here. Enjoy!

And why not. :-P Click here to download the actual QP menus shown above. This is BYOE though, i.e. bring your own episodes. The QP menu download contains 0.5 second blank video files in place of the actual episodes. To incorporate the above with your own Blu-ray's of each season just overwrite your M2TS and CLPI files (99001-99004) with the ones from my corresponding QP menu and you'll be all set. To carry over the "QP menu item" and "page" navigation behavior as well you'll want to use my "index.bdmv" and "MovieObject.bdmv" files from the particular QP menu.

Last edited by Lowpro; 12th February 2023 at 21:53.
Lowpro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd April 2021, 21:26   #2  |  Link
jdobbs

Cool. I love how you have taken a fairly simple feature, and made it look very professional.

I've recently been doing more backups using MKV files for backgrounds to create moving-action menus.

A little creativity goes a long way.

Last edited by jdobbs; 22nd April 2021 at 21:28.
jdobbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th April 2021, 07:46   #3  |  Link
Lowpro

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdobbs View Post
Cool. I love how you have taken a fairly simple feature, and made it look very professional.

I've recently been doing more backups using MKV files for backgrounds to create moving-action menus.

A little creativity goes a long way.
I love moving-action menus. Very cool and yes, a little creativity does go a long way doesn't it. And to each his own, but I consider your "Quick-Play" feature the hidden gem of BD Rebuilder. I could see the "Quick-Play" feature used as the foundation for a stand-alone application used to create Blu-ray menus with perhaps even the inclusive of a pop-up menu. There's simply nothing else out there like it where you can take a single title or multiple titles already authored to Blu-ray spanning across one or more Blu-ray folders quickly processing the titles you choose creating a new Blu-ray that includes a Blu-ray menu. It's quite brilliant really.
Old 11th July 2021, 20:38   #4  |  Link
Lowpro

Designated Survivor (2016)

This has been on my ToDoList for a while now. Finally got around to cataloging and authoring the TV series to Blu-ray. Below are screenshots of the QP menus I worked up including links to my online profiles for each season.

Designated Survivor: The Complete First Season

Designated Survivor: The Complete Second Season

Designated Survivor: The Complete Third Season

And for those interested, click here to download the actual QP menus shown above. And no, the actual episodes are not included. When selecting a given episode a 0.5 second blank video file will be played. That being said, the QP menus can be put to good use. All one has to do is download the episodes via AnyStream and their Netflix account, then authoring each season to Blu-ray as I have done. When building the given Blu-ray with BDRB just make sure your BDREBUILDER.INI file includes the "MENU_ITEMS_PAGE" option. You'll want to make sure the option is set to 11. No other QP configuration will be required. Once building the Blu-ray for a given season just overwrite your M2TS and CLPI files (99001-99004) with the ones from my corresponding QP menu and you'll be all set. To carry over the "QP menu item" and "page" navigation behavior from my QP menus just grab the "index.bdmv" and "MovieObject.bdmv" files from the root of the given BDMV folder. That's all there is to it. Enjoy!

Last edited by Lowpro; 12th February 2023 at 21:54.
Old 13th July 2021, 05:07   #5  |  Link
Lowpro

Leverage: Redemption (2021)

I just finished authoring (SubtitleEdit/multiAVCHD/BDRB/BDedit/ImgBurn) and cataloging (DVD Profiler/My Movies) the TV series "Leverage: Redemption" to Blu-ray.

Below are screenshots of the QP menus I worked up. (Click here to view my online profile for this title.)

(Click on the preview image above to view the full size image.)

And for those interested, click here to download the above QP menus. And this is BYOE of course, i.e. bring your own episodes. The QP menus contains 0.5 second blank video files in place of the actual episodes. (See my prior post for instructions on how to incorporate one of my QP menus with your own build of the same episodes.)

Last edited by Lowpro; 12th February 2023 at 21:46.
Old 23rd July 2021, 02:25   #6  |  Link
Lowpro

Carnivāle: The Complete Series (2003)

I just finished authoring (SubtitleEdit/multiAVCHD/BDRB/BDedit/ImgBurn) the HBO TV Series "Carnivāle" to Blu-ray. Below are screenshots of the QP menus I worked up including links to my online profiles for each season.

Carnivāle: The Complete First Season

Carnivāle: The Complete Second Season

And for those interested, click here to download the above QP menus. (Included are one disc per season QP menus as well.) And again, this is BYOE, i.e. bring your own episodes. The QP menu downloads contains 0.5 second blank video files in place of the actual episodes. To incorporate the above with your own Blu-ray's of each season just overwrite your M2TS and CLPI files (99001-99004) with the ones from my corresponding QP menu and you'll be all set. To carry over the "QP menu item" and "page" navigation behavior as well just overwrite your "index.bdmv" and "MovieObject.bdmv" files with the ones from either of my QP menus. In any event, just thought I'd share. Enjoy!

Last edited by Lowpro; 12th February 2023 at 21:45.
Old 1st August 2021, 17:15   #7  |  Link
Lowpro

Turning subtitle and audio tracks on or off by default using BDedit.

When authoring a movie or TV series to Blu-ray I'll from time to time need to set a given subtitle track and/or audio track to be turned on or off by default. I do this using BDedit. The below example is a movie only copy of Apocalypto where no subtitle track is turned on by default. The first subtitle track in this case contains forced subtitles only. I want the forced subtitle track to be turned on by default. I additionally want the 1st audio track to be turned on by default. In a hardware based Blu-ray player the first audio track would play by default. When playing the BDMV folder in PowerDVD however, the 3rd audio track is played by default. Setting the 1st audio track to be turned on by default covers both uses cases. See below per the required steps to follow using BDedit.

Step 1: Browse to the BDMV folder in question.

Step 2: On the lower right side click the "+" button inserting a new line.

Step 3: Select "Set", "SetSystem", "SetStream", "Imm" and "Imm" from the drop-downs as pictured below.

Step 4: Saving your work at this point would ensure no subtitles are selected by default.

Step 5A: To turn the 1st subtitle track on by default enter "0000C001" in the 2nd Hex field, then click out of that field into an adjacent field. (0000C002=2nd subtitle track, 0000C003=3rd Subtitle Track and so forth.)

Step 5B: To turn the 1st audio track on by default instead enter "80010000" in the 2nd Hex field, then click out of that field into an adjacent field. (80020000=2nd audio track, 80030000=3rd audio track and so forth.)

Step 5C: To turn the 1st audio track and 1st subtitle track on by default enter "8001C001" in the 2nd Hex field, then click out of that field into an adjacent field.

When you're ready to save your changes click the "Save" button in the lower left corner. This will update your "index.bdmv" and "MovieObject.bdmv" files in the root of your "BDMV" folder. Your original files are backed up in the same location and named "index.bdmv.backup" and "MovieObject.bdmv.backup". Your original "index.bdmv" and "MovieObject.bdmv" files located in your "BDMV\BACKUP" folder remain untouched. (See the next post for an example where multiple titles are involved.)

Last edited by Lowpro; 22nd January 2022 at 09:01.
Old 1st August 2021, 17:47   #8  |  Link
Lowpro

Cobra Kai: Season 3 (2021)

Earlier this year I authored Cobra Kai: Season 3 to Blu-ray. Below is a screenshot of the QP menu I worked up including a link to my online profile for the season.

Cobra Kai: Season 3 (2021)

As this relates to my prior post...
Episodes 1 and 5 in this case contained force subtitles. Both episodes included a subtitle track that just included the forced subtitles. As such, prior to burning to BD-R I loaded the "BDMV" folder up in BDedit setting each of the 10 episodes to either have no subtitle track turned on by default or the given forced subtitle track turned on by default. To see what that looks like in BDedit feel free to download the above QP menu, here.

And as with my prior QP menu downloads of course, this is BYOE, i.e. bring your own episodes. The QP menu download contains 0.5 second blank video files in place of the actual episodes. To incorporate the QP menu with your own Blu-ray of "Cobra Kai: Season 3" just overwrite your M2TS and CLPI files (99001-99002) with the ones from my QP menu and you'll be all set. Carry over my "index.bdmv" and "MovieObject.bdmv" files if you'd like to retain my "QP menu item" and "page" navigation behavior as well. This would include of course the default subtitle selection for each episode.

Last edited by Lowpro; 22nd January 2022 at 14:20.
Old 2nd August 2021, 21:45   #9  |  Link
Lowpro

Homeland: The Complete Eighth Season

Below is the most recent QP menu I worked up. I'd been holding out for a UK Blu-ray release, but got tired of waiting so I rolled my own. Watched the first episode last night. Looked great projected at 150" diagonal. The Dolby Digital Plus audio was no slouch either.

Homeland: The Complete Eighth Season

The above QP menu can be downloaded here for those interested. As with my prior QP menu downloads, this is BYOE, i.e. bring your own episodes. The QP menu download contains 0.5 second blank video files in place of the actual episodes. To incorporate the QP menu with your own Blu-ray of "Homeland: The Complete Eighth Season" just overwrite your M2TS and CLPI files (99001-99002) with the ones from my QP menu and you'll be all set. To retain my "QP menu item" and "page" navigation behavior just carry over my "index.bdmv" and "MovieObject.bdmv" files as well. Enjoy!

Last edited by Lowpro; 12th February 2023 at 21:44.
Old 3rd August 2021, 21:38   #10  |  Link
Ghitulescu

That raises the question of a simple menu authoring software a dream not fulfilled even for DVD (not fully featured suites like TMPGenc but only a menu creator; the only standalone application, Menu Writer is "strange", to be polite)
Old 5th August 2021, 23:05   #11  |  Link
Lowpro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghitulescu View Post
That raises the question of a simple menu authoring software a dream not fulfilled even for DVD (not fully featured suites like TMPGenc but only a menu creator; the only standalone application, Menu Writer is "strange", to be polite)
Yes, I would like to see this as well. And BD Rebuilder certainly gets the job done in the interim. Well, for my needs anyway. :-P
Old 6th August 2021, 02:42   #12  |  Link
Lowpro

Unforgettable: The Complete Series

Well I'm back at it again. Just finished authoring (SubtitleEdit/multiAVCHD/BDRB/BDedit/ImgBurn) the TV series, Unforgettable (2011-2016) to Blu-ray. Below is what the TV series looks like from My Movies for Windows Media Center. Included below are links to my online profiles for the TV series which mirror my local DVD Profiler database, the "Overview" section of each profile including an "Episode List" and "Episode Guide" with images.

As seen from My Movies for Windows Media Center...

(Click on the image above to view my online profile for this title.)

And here are screenshots of the Blu-ray menus I worked up for each season based on the files sizes of the episodes. Season 1 should just fit on two BD-50's. Seasons 2 and 3 will each be spread across a BD50 and BD25. The file sizes for Season 4 were a bit smaller than the other seasons. Season 4 will fit on a single BD50.

As seen from my Blu-ray player...

The above QP menus can be downloaded here for those interested. (Included is a 2-disc version of Season 4.) As with my prior QP menu downloads, this is BYOE, i.e. bring your own episodes. The QP menus contain 0.5 second blank video files in place of the actual episodes. To incorporate the QP menus with your own Blu-ray's of the TV series just overwrite your M2TS and CLPI files (99001-99002) with the ones from my corresponding QP menu and you'll be all set. To retain my "QP menu item" and "page" navigation behavior just carry over my "index.bdmv" and "MovieObject.bdmv" files as well. Enjoy!

Last edited by Lowpro; 12th February 2023 at 21:43.
Old 8th August 2021, 22:37   #13  |  Link
Lowpro

Terra Nova (2011)

Just finished authoring (SubtitleEdit/multiAVCHD/BDRB/BDedit/ImgBurn) the TV series, Terra Nova (2011) to Blu-ray. Below is what the TV series looks like from My Movies for Windows Media Center. Included below is a link to my online profile for the TV series which mirrors my local DVD Profiler database, the "Overview" section of the profile including an "Episode List" and "Episode Guide" with images.

And here is a screenshot of the Blu-ray menu I worked up. Everything will just fit on a BD50, the episodes including the Blu-ray (SUP) subtitles I worked up weighing it at just under 45 GB.

The above QP menu can be downloaded here for those interested. As with my prior QP menu downloads, this is BYOE, i.e. bring your own episodes. The QP menu contains 0.5 second blank video files in place of the actual episodes. To incorporate the QP menu with your own Blu-ray of the TV series just overwrite your M2TS and CLPI files (99001-99002) with the ones from my QP menu and you'll be all set. To retain my "QP menu item" and "page" navigation behavior just carry over my "index.bdmv" and "MovieObject.bdmv" files as well. Enjoy!

Last edited by Lowpro; 12th February 2023 at 21:42.
Old 9th August 2021, 15:43   #14  |  Link
Lowpro

The Blacklist: Redemption (2017)

Just finished authoring (SubtitleEdit/multiAVCHD/BDRB/BDedit/ImgBurn) the TV series, The BlackList: Redemption (2017) to Blu-ray. Below is what the TV series looks like from My Movies for Windows Media Center. Included below is a link to my online profile for the TV series which mirrors my local DVD Profiler database, the "Overview" section of the profile including an "Episode List" and "Episode Guide" with images.

And here is a screenshot of the Blu-ray menu I worked up. The episodes will just fit on a BD25 in this case, each episode weighing in at 2.6 GB on average.

The above QP menu can be downloaded here for those interested. As with my prior QP menu downloads, this is BYOE, i.e. bring your own episodes. The QP menu contains 0.5 second blank video files in place of the actual episodes. To incorporate the QP menu with your own Blu-ray of the TV series just overwrite your M2TS and CLPI files (99001-99002) with the ones from my QP menu and you'll be all set. To retain my "QP menu item" and "page" navigation behavior just carry over my "index.bdmv" and "MovieObject.bdmv" files as well. Enjoy!

Last edited by Lowpro; 12th February 2023 at 21:41.
Old 17th August 2021, 18:08   #15  |  Link
Lowpro

Six Feet Under (2001-2005)

What can I say. The fun never ends! :-P Just finished authoring (SubtitleEdit/multiAVCHD/BDRB/BDedit/ImgBurn) the TV series, Six Feet Under (2001-2005) to Blu-ray. Below is what the TV series looks like from My Movies for Windows Media Center. Included below are links to my online profiles for the TV series which mirror my local DVD Profiler database, the "Overview" section of each profile including an "Episode List" and "Episode Guide" with images.

And here are screenshots of the Blu-ray menus I worked up for each season. The TV series will span across 8 discs in this case. Seasons 1 and 2 will each fit on a BD50. Seasons 3-5 will each fit on a BD50 and BD25.

The above QP menus can be downloaded here for those interested. As with my prior QP menu downloads, this is BYOE, i.e. bring your own episodes. The QP menus contain 0.5 second blank video files in place of the actual episodes. To incorporate the QP menus with your own Blu-ray's of the TV series just overwrite your M2TS and CLPI files (99001-99002) with the ones from my corresponding QP menu and you'll be all set. To retain my "QP menu item" and "page" navigation behavior just carry over my "index.bdmv" and "MovieObject.bdmv" files as well. Enjoy!

Last edited by Lowpro; 12th February 2023 at 21:40.
Old 25th August 2021, 06:12   #16  |  Link
Lowpro

Body of Proof (2011-2013)

I just finished authoring (SubtitleEdit/multiAVCHD/BDRB/BDedit/ImgBurn) the TV series, Body of Proof (2011-2013) to Blu-ray. Below is what the TV series looks like from My Movies for Windows Media Center. Included below are links to my online profiles for the TV series which mirror my local DVD Profiler database, the "Overview" section of each profile including an "Episode List" and "Episode Guide" with images.

And here are screenshots of the Blu-ray menus I worked up for each season. The TV series will span across 5 discs in this case. Season 1 will fit on a BD50. Season 2 will fit on 2 BD50's. Season 3 will fit on a BD50 and BD25.

The above QP menus can be downloaded here for those interested. As with my prior QP menu downloads, this is BYOE, i.e. bring your own episodes. The QP menus contain 0.5 second blank video files in place of the actual episodes. To incorporate the QP menus with your own Blu-ray's of the TV series just overwrite your M2TS and CLPI files (99001-99004) with the ones from my corresponding QP menu and you'll be all set. To retain my "QP menu item" and "page" navigation behavior just carry over my "index.bdmv" and "MovieObject.bdmv" files as well. Enjoy!

Last edited by Lowpro; 12th February 2023 at 21:38.
Old 31st August 2021, 05:17   #17  |  Link
Lowpro

In Plain Sight (2008-2012)

I just finished authoring (SubtitleEdit/multiAVCHD/BDRB/BDedit/ImgBurn) the TV series, In Plain Sight (2008-2012) to Blu-ray. Below is what the TV series looks like from My Movies for Windows Media Center. Included below are links to my online profiles for the TV series which mirror my local DVD Profiler database, the "Overview" section of each profile including an "Episode List" and "Episode Guide" with images.

And here are screenshots of the Blu-ray menus I worked up for each season. The TV series will span across 9 discs in this case. Seasons 1, 3 and 4 will each fit on a BD50 and BD25. Season 2 will fit on 2 BD50's and Season 5 will fit on a BD50.

The above QP menus can be downloaded here for those interested. As with my prior QP menu downloads, this is BYOE, i.e. bring your own episodes. The QP menus contain 0.5 second blank video files in place of the actual episodes. To incorporate the QP menus with your own Blu-ray's of the TV series just overwrite your M2TS and CLPI files (99001-99004) with the ones from my corresponding QP menu and you'll be all set. To retain my "QP menu item" and "page" navigation behavior just carry over my "index.bdmv" and "MovieObject.bdmv" files as well. Enjoy!

Last edited by Lowpro; 12th February 2023 at 21:37.
Old 21st October 2021, 08:49   #18  |  Link
Lowpro

American Horror Story: Double Feature (2021)

I just finished authoring (MediaInfo/SubtitleEdit/multiAVCHD/BDRB/BDedit/ImgBurn) the TV series, American Horror Story: Double Feature (2021) to Blu-ray. Below is what the TV series looks like from My Movies for Windows Media Center. Included below is a link to my online profile for the TV series which mirrors my local DVD Profiler database, the "Overview" section of the profile including an "Episode List" and "Episode Guide" with images.

And here is a screenshot of the Blu-ray menu I worked up. The episodes just fit on a BD25 in this case, each episode weighing in at 2.3 GB on average.

Last edited by Lowpro; 12th February 2023 at 21:35.
Old 25th December 2021, 00:40   #19  |  Link
Lowpro

Lost in Space: Season 3 (2021)

I just finished authoring (SubtitleEdit/multiAVCHD/BDRB/BDedit/ImgBurn) Season 3 of the TV series, Lost in Space (2018-2021) to Blu-ray. Below is what the TV series looks like for me from My Movies for Windows Media Center. Included below is a link to my online profile for the TV series which mirrors my local DVD Profiler database, the "Overview" section of the profile including an "Episode List" and "Episode Guide" with images.

And here is a screenshot of the Blu-ray menu I worked up and yes, the black bars above and below the Blu-ray menu are intentional. I'll be watching this via my projector and 150" 1.78:1 screen. Season 3 is in 2.40:1. For any apsect ratio north or south of 1.78:1 I deploy masking panels which are wrapped in black velvet. As such, I decided in this case to make the Blu-ray menu 2.40:1 friendly that way no part of the Blu-ray menu is concealed while my physical masking is in place. And the icing on the cake, when manually moving my masking into position the Blu-ray menu serves as a guide telling me precisely where the masking needs to go where normally I'd have to start playback of an episode to determine the positioning. :-P

Last edited by Lowpro; 12th February 2023 at 21:34.
Old 6th January 2022, 10:43   #20  |  Link
Lowpro

Cobra Kai: Season 4 (2021)

The fun never ends! I authored (MediaInfo/SubtitleEdit/BDSup2Sub/multiAVCHD/BDRB/BDedit/ImgBurn) another TV season to Blu-ray today, Cobra Kai (2021). Below is what the TV series looks like for me from My Movies for Windows Media Center. Included below is a link to my online profile for the TV series which mirrors my local DVD Profiler database, the "Overview" section of the profile including an "Episode List" and "Episode Guide" with images.

And here is a screenshot of the Blu-ray menu I worked up. I was particular pleased with the "Episode Selection" font treatment I went with. It's not the official font, but might as well be. :-P

Last edited by Lowpro; 12th February 2023 at 21:34.