Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Announcements and Chat > Forum / Site Suggestions & Help

Old 2nd October 2017, 22:35   #1  |  Link
ultron

Best section for my dvd playback question

Hello, I am currently experiencing troubles in running some mpeg4 files in my standalone dvd player. The doubt here is about the most suitable place of this forum for showing what's happening . I am thorn between the
Quote:
DVD Burning
Quote:
Hardware players
and the
Quote:
MPEG-4- ASP
. I believe the reasons behind the incapability of dealing with the file is in small details of the mpeg4 files, since I already was able to execute other mpeg4 files. So I want to do a comparison between the unplayable and the playable files using ffmpeg to extract relevant information. I believe that the correct forum is the last one of my list, especially because I do not remember have seen relevant information on my dvd's manual.

So is ok to open the thread in the mpeg4 forum?
ultron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th October 2017, 15:53   #2  |  Link
Asmodian

I would suggest the Hardware players forum. Are these files MPEG-4 ASP (Xvid), AVC (x264), or something else? mp4 is a container that can contain many different kinds of video and audio.
Old 8th October 2017, 18:37   #3  |  Link
hello_hello

I'd vote for asking in the MPEG-4- ASP forum but it's probably no big deal. It might be easier to use MediaInfo to post the relevant info.
http://mediaarea.net/en/MediaInfo
Or a link to the current portable version.
http://mediaarea.net/download/binary...utInstaller.7z

Open a file with the MediaInfo GUI and use the View menu to change to text or html view (or set one of them as the default) than copy and paste the info for working and non-working files).
hello_hello is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th October 2017, 14:32   #4  |  Link
Ghitulescu

The obvious answer to your problem is that a DVD player is mainly intended to play, well, DVDs, and if it has some MP4 support (like they had DivX in the past) is only at the mercy of the manufacturer, and this includes also the features and the options.

I believe a BD player would be a better choice than a DVD one, although not perfect, for the same reasons.