Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Video Encoding > MPEG-4 Encoder GUIs

Old 8th December 2009, 14:05   #61  |  Link
quantum5uicid3

the defaults are all very well rounded at this point. i don't think i would worry about changing anything if i were you. if you would like to tweak, this really explains everything you need to know.
http://mewiki.project357.com/wiki/X264_Settings

I would consider playing with crf, if you don't need to hit an exact file size. it sounds more like you just wanna keep the bitrates pretty low. The problem with using the exact same bitrate for every source is that some are going to be more complex than others. I would consider experimenting with crf values between 25-30(im just guessing,higher crf=lower bitrate), so just keep raising your crf until the video doesn't look good enough to you anymore and then stick with the highest acceptable value.
quantum5uicid3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th December 2009, 14:13   #62  |  Link
forum king

Quote:
Originally Posted by quantum5uicid3 View Post
the defaults are all very well rounded at this point. i don't think i would worry about changing anything if i were you. if you would like to tweak, this really explains everything you need to know.
http://mewiki.project357.com/wiki/X264_Settings

I would consider playing with crf, if you don't need to hit an exact file size. it sounds more like you just wanna keep the bitrates pretty low. The problem with using the exact same bitrate for every source is that some are going to be more complex than others. I would consider experimenting with crf values between 25-30(im just guessing,higher crf=lower bitrate), so just keep raising your crf until the video doesn't look good enough to you anymore and then stick with the highest acceptable value.
yes you are right ,
now i am getting why same bitrate doesnt give better quality with diff sources.
about deblocking well i guess -1:-1 gives ok results as it has been like that on all SLOWER profiles till date..
abiut the size well i try to make em small with bit rates in the range of 500 on an av for a dvd and for HD i try like 600 to 700.
but yeah my friends always ask me for a smaller size possible LOL

also Turbo is by default on in automated 2pass , you cant unchk it i have just noticed.
forum king is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th December 2009, 14:18   #63  |  Link
nakTT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zathor View Post
In order to keep the MeGUI project running I have fixed a few of the problems with the latest version. Most of them are related to the recent changes in the x264 command line syntax and the not updated config gui in MeGUI.

Hopefully Kurtnoise/Sharktooth/... will continue their work on this great program. Kudos to them!

Code:
0.3.1.1057 patched build
    - [x264Config] add support for weighted P prediction. Requires x264 revision 1327 or higher.
    - [x264Config] fix issues with weighted B prediction
    - [x264Config] fix an issue where custom profile settings may be lost
    - [x264Config] very minor cosmetic changes
    - removed the default UAC elevation prompt. Instead it will only be elevated if the app dir or avisynth plugin dir is not writeable
    - [Util] + [FileUtil] incompatible xml files (e.g. profiles) will be moved to a backup dir
    - fixed the problem of the incompatible x264 profiles. As a result the old B-Pyramid setting will be disabled
    - [OSInfo] fixed a problem with the .NET detection
    - [MuxStreamControl] preselect language if the filename contains the language name
    - [x264Config] fixed a few input validate problems
    - [x264Config] the advanced settings will be applied to the command line independent of the advanced settings checkbox
    - [x264Config] a few profile settings could not be loaded
    - [x264Config] extended input handling
    - updatecopier.exe will be called elevated
    - [x264Config] disable cabac and mbtree checkbox if setting disabled in profile or preset
    - [x264Config] custom command line settings will replace settings in generated command line
    - [HDBDStreamExtractor] fixed a crash bug
    - [HDBDStreamExtractor] input and output path will be preselected if the window stays open
    - [BitrateCalculator] added experimental M2TS support
Patch code is included, full source code can be requested if necessary. I do not know the GPL in every detail. If this is not sufficient please drop me a line and I will upload the full source files.

I did not change the version number for obvious reasons.

Feel free to address other/new problems, but I can not promise that I am able to solve them.

Stable build
http://www.mediafire.com/download.php?hj23mmmlmux
Hi Zathor,

First of all I want to thank you for continuing the MeGUI development.

I'm now using Stable Build version of your MeGUI. The first problem that I instantly notice is that when I select "Automated 2pass" in the x264 setting, the checkbox for "Turbo" seems to be checked by default and can't be unchecked. Please advice.

Last edited by nakTT; 8th December 2009 at 14:21.
nakTT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th December 2009, 14:28   #64  |  Link
quantum5uicid3

as a workaround, just create the 1st and 2nd pass separately
Old 8th December 2009, 14:37   #65  |  Link
nakTT

Thanks for the suggestion but I guess I would rather wait for the fix.

nakTT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th December 2009, 14:50   #66  |  Link
rack04

In the Blu-ray profile the default for partitions shouldn't be --partitions all. Also, --profile high is default. In the rate control tab the values for vbv buffer and vbv max bitrate are not passed to command line.
rack04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th December 2009, 15:13   #67  |  Link
quantum5uicid3

Quote:
Originally Posted by rack04 View Post
In the Blu-ray profile the default for partitions shouldn't be --partitions all. Also, --profile high is default. In the rate control tab the values for vbv buffer and vbv max bitrate are not passed to command line.
are you sure --partitions all isn't supported by the bluray profile?

the other two problems u mentioned are fixed in the development build

Last edited by quantum5uicid3; 8th December 2009 at 15:16.
Old 8th December 2009, 15:19   #68  |  Link
stax76

--partitions all must be supported since RipBot264 uses it for it's Bluray profile.
stax76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th December 2009, 15:23   #69  |  Link
quantum5uicid3

the reason why it looks like you can't change the vbv options is he set it up to where anything you specify in custom commandline options overides any attempted change in the gui. so the bluray compliancy settings are essentially locked on the profile he created.
Old 8th December 2009, 15:27   #70  |  Link
rack04

Quote:
are you sure --partitions all isn't supported by the bluray profile?

the other two problems u mentioned are fixed in the development build
I never said it wasn't supported. I just said that when you select default it retains --partitions all. I would rather the preset dictate when --partitions all is used.

EDIT: Actually I read my post again and can see how you made that assumption.
rack04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th December 2009, 15:31   #71  |  Link
quantum5uicid3

same thing as vbv, --partitions all is forced in the custom command line.

and --profile high for that matter

Last edited by quantum5uicid3; 8th December 2009 at 15:34.
Old 8th December 2009, 18:13   #72  |  Link
Frosty5689

I noticed how megui passes a parameter to neroencaac.exe that creates a fake chapters in the mp4/m4a container. If this could be fixed so it doesn't create fake chapters,it'd help muxing mp4 and uploading to youtube without using mp4box as a cli.
Frosty5689 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th December 2009, 18:19   #73  |  Link
szabi

I use this collection to keep compatibility with different devices. click.
szabi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th December 2009, 18:35   #74  |  Link
Zathor

Waaah, so much postings

Quote:
Originally Posted by nakTT View Post
May I know which one U mean by "newest build"? Is it the one at the 1st post or the one at the 2nd page?
I recommend the "development build" but because of the rather big changes compared to the "stable" build there may arise problems. Up to now I do not know about problems.

Quote:
Originally Posted by forum king View Post
thanks mate
i have used the latest development build of urs ..
but tell me when i usesd to use 1051 with unrestricted 2 pass profile the settings were that of SLOWER
in mean like this :
program --profile high --pass 2 --bitrate 1000 --stats ".stats" --ref 5 --b-adapt 2 --b-pyramid --direct auto --deblock -1:-1 --trellis 2 --partitions all --me umh --thread-input --output "output" "input"

but in this one ( the new patched 1057 build the settings in that same profile are FAST..
program --profile high --preset fast --pass 2 --bitrate 1000 --stats ".stats" --thread-input --deblock -1:-1 --no-dct-decimate --output "output" "input"

what should be done ( does it mean that in the new megui build and x264 build SLOWER stuff is more faster or i need to drag the slider to slower to get the same settings.. and quality as that of unrestricted 2 pass
Sorry, I did not use 1051 for a very long time. But as i read the changelog correctly the presets have been introduced in 1053 and are in x264 since 1206 (or so). Therefore you will get a different command line with the both MeGUI versions. The default preset setting is medium and therefore the command line created by 1051 will be slower compared to the one from 1057 patched. Additionally "--trellis 2 --partitions all --me umh" affect also speed/quality. If you want to have a high quality profile just use 1057 patched and move the slider to the right (placebo has the best quality / worst speed)

Quote:
I made a simple installer to hopefully make things easier for people.
Thank you very much. May I request to add the newer eac3to?

Quote:
Originally Posted by forum king View Post
i used the latest build by Zathor ( the 2nd one ) and installed it in a separate folder..
used unrestricted 2 pass HQ with SLower settings
it will do the first pass and give a STANDARD ERROR STREAM error upon second always..
sometimes the same error on first pass as well..
Please send me the error stream text (per PM for example). I can only fix it if I can reproduce it or I am able to make a educated guess.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kool View Post
a very 1th error I get under Win 7, I have installed as Zathor says

Error 1: happen when I select all profile and hit on import.

Error 2: same as error 1

Error 3 & 4 at the same time when I want to close meGUI.
Thanks for the report. Will try to reproduce (and fix) it later.

Quote:
I'm now using Stable Build version of your MeGUI. The first problem that I instantly notice is that when I select "Automated 2pass" in the x264 setting, the checkbox for "Turbo" seems to be checked by default and can't be unchecked. Please advice.
I have to check this later, too. At the moment I do not know at which event/setting it should be activated or disabled.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rack04 View Post
I never said it wasn't supported. I just said that when you select default it retains --partitions all. I would rather the preset dictate when --partitions all is used.
I followed this thread and link in the first post. It looks like --partitions all is required or at least recommended for the BluRay profile. http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?t=149711

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zathor View Post
Additionally I have added a x264 BluRay profile as an example. The profile is based upon http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?t=149711 and http://mewiki.project357.com/wiki/X264_Settings. The profile has the goal to fulfill the bluray specs and be playable on most standalone players. A few remarks:
--nal-hrd requires a patched x264
--b-pyramid strict can not be aplied while mbtree is enabled but it should work sometime in the future. Please ignore the warning in the log.

The profile has been created as I understand the profile management should work. Feel free to start a discussion if you think that it should work the other way around. The custom command line "locks" the settings you want to force while you can change the quality/speed with the preset slider. The "advanced settings" tabs have been disabled in order to not confuse the more inexperienced users.
Zathor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th December 2009, 18:45   #75  |  Link
JoeH

Quote:
You can set MKV as default by going to:

Options>Settings>Extra Config>Configure Auto Encode Default>

And choose the container that you like.
Thanks - I wasn't aware of that and I'll keep it in mind. However, that works for autoencode and is helpful, but it still doesn't change the default on the main screen, which is useful when you are putting multiple items into the Queue. It would still be helpful to be able to set the default (or just have it remember last selected, either way) on the main screen.
JoeH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th December 2009, 18:54   #76  |  Link
forum king

Dear Zathor and Quantum i have a suggestion :

you guys are so good at it and now as the thread is getting so many replies , why dont you guys gradually take over and develop megui builds which are compatible as the big guys are busy, i mean something like a full fledged patch over the latest build which takes care of the major issues.

I can tell you for sure that more than 50% of megui users are suffering since the updates have stopped and since the messups have started..

it took me whole 3 days to figure it out and i am a member since 1 year ..

guys please consider this , i am asking on behalf of all the affected folks.

regards

Glenn

i am still testing the second patch of urs dear zathor which quantum has made into a consolidated exe. will revert ....
forum king is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th December 2009, 20:41   #77  |  Link
bluebebe

why are the main developers of megui gone?
Old 8th December 2009, 21:08   #78  |  Link
Triccotracco

Quote:
Originally Posted by kool View Post
a very 1th error I get under Win 7, I have installed as Zathor says

Error 1: happen when I select all profile and hit on import.

Error 2: same as error 1
following Zathor's instructions:
Quote:
1. Install Avisynth 2.5.8 (if not already installed)
2. Extract the build to a new/empty directory
3. Run the program and let it update all necessary files from the development server.
4. Update some files manually if needed (x264.exe, ...)
also for me during first execution of Megui's update
I solve this issue restart Megui again forcing the update of "STAudio" restart again Megui and finally update Tx264 & TXviD .... yes I know a little bit confused procedure but works!
Triccotracco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th December 2009, 21:15   #79  |  Link
kool

Quote:
kool, i had problems with the audio presets as well. thats why i made that package. ru using 32 or 64bit windows 7?
32 Bit, and other thing when I checked avisynth plugin directory it was empty, expect 3 avisynth plugin.
kool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th December 2009, 21:56   #80  |  Link
Zathor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triccotracco View Post
also for me during first execution of Megui's update
I solve this issue restart Megui again forcing the update of "STAudio" restart again Megui and finally update Tx264 & TXviD .... yes I know a little bit confused procedure but works!
Problem found and fixed (in the next upload). These two files are simply not at the http://megui.org/auto/ location. I have removed this mirror until the update server is updated. Is someone able to provide a new update server with the latest packages?
Zathor is offline   Reply With Quote