Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Hardware & Software > Software players

Old 18th December 2016, 09:16   #41581  |  Link
Q-the-STORM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oguignant View Post
The hdr passthrough option does not work yet? My TV (lg oled 65ef9500) when it detects HDR content, activates HDR Mode (netflix, anazon, and local playback). But not with madvr. Why?
It passes through HDR, but it doesn't send the HDR infoframe, which activates HDR on your TV.... for now, you'd need another device the send the HDR infoframe, like the HDfury Integral...

if I remember correctly, madshi said he's going to implement/fix it once the APIs are public... until then, madshi can't do anything...
Q-the-STORM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th December 2016, 09:25   #41582  |  Link
Oguignant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Q-the-STORM View Post
It passes through HDR, but it doesn't send the HDR infoframe, which activates HDR on your TV.... for now, you'd need another device the send the HDR infoframe, like the HDfury Integral...

if I remember correctly, madshi said he's going to implement/fix it once the APIs are public... until then, madshi can't do anything...
Oh, okay. Netflix has problems with hdr content, it does not look good. Amazon had the same problem, but I already solve it. I have no trouble viewing hdr content. Hdr is still in diapers.
Old 18th December 2016, 10:30   #41583  |  Link
cork_OS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Georgel View Post
Is it possible to use madVR on a very noisy source to smooth out the noise but keep sharpness on edges?

Something like watching horriblesubs rips which are TV rips, and are very very noisy but to at least lower the noise but keep edges clean (?)
"Reduce ringing artifacts" madVR filter only removes haloing, not mosquito noise. So you shold try deringing & mosquito noise reduction Avisynth filters.
Old 18th December 2016, 12:53   #41584  |  Link
SweetLow

Quote:
Originally Posted by madshi View Post
FAQ:
A) FreeSync / G-SYNC
For perfect motion smoothness, we want the display to show each video frame for *EXACTLY* the right amount of time, which is usually 1000 / 24.000 * 1.001 = 41.708333333333333333333333333333 milliseconds.
Just to be precise. You are right in case of ordinal (or pull) play mode. In case of live sources (or push mode) even exact and standard video rate from source is not our exact rate.
SweetLow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th December 2016, 14:02   #41585  |  Link
Georgel
Visual Novel Dev.

Quote:
Originally Posted by plasma View Post
Use ffdshow raw video filter as external filter under mpc hc. It renders the image before madvr. It has some decent denoising option.

After you denoised the image with its options you can use the madvr settings such as nnedi3, edge thinning and (very little adaptive sharpen). ngu can amplify input artefacts
Thank you!

I will give it a shot!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cork_OS View Post
"Reduce ringing artifacts" madVR filter only removes haloing, not mosquito noise. So you shold try deringing & mosquito noise reduction Avisynth filters.
Yes, something like mosquito noise is what I was seeing (didn't know the term before)

Thanks a lot for your help!
Georgel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th December 2016, 22:48   #41586  |  Link
StinDaWg

I have these resolutions set for madVR to switch to... 1080p23, 1080p24, 1080p25, 1080p50, 1080p59, 1080p60

If I'm using ffdshow raw (for SVP) madVR always switches to 1080p23 if the source fps is 29.97 or 30. I do not have this issue when I'm not using ffdshow raw.

If I use the MPC-HC built in switcher with ffdshow raw instead of madVR it works fine.

Has anyone seen this happen before?

I would just use MPC-HC switcher, but it doesn't work properly with madVRs film mode deinterlace. It doesn't switch to 23 hz.

Last edited by StinDaWg; 18th December 2016 at 22:51.
StinDaWg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th December 2016, 03:22   #41587  |  Link
Oguignant

Agradecimiento desde Argentina

A productive weekend learning to use madvr and its wonderful functions. I want to thank all the members of this forum who took the time to answer all my questions. All very friendly.

Thanks again.
Old 19th December 2016, 05:37   #41588  |  Link
Oguignant

NNEDI3 or NGU?

Hello! I have a question. For upscaling from 2k to 4k, who does a better job? NNEDi3 or NGU? These days I was told that NGU was better with 4k native, so I did not use it for upscaling to 4k, but I have my doubts. I do not know when to choose NGU or NNEDI3.

NGU i can use it as "very high" to image/chroma upscaling. But nnedi3 only 128 n max.
Old 19th December 2016, 11:58   #41589  |  Link
ryrynz

Quote:
Hello! I have a question. For upscaling from 2k to 4k, who does a better job? NNEDi3 or NGU? These days I was told that NGU was better with 4k native, so I did not use it for upscaling to 4k, but I have my doubts. I do not know when to choose NGU or NNEDI3.
It's up to you to decide. Once again, It's personal preference based on your content, your display and your eyes. There is no "best"

Quote:
NGU i can use it as "very high" to image/chroma upscaling. But nnedi3 only 128 n max.
Higher isn't better. Please don't use use NNEDI3 128 neurons for chroma, it contributes to climate change.

Last edited by ryrynz; 19th December 2016 at 12:01.
ryrynz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th December 2016, 12:28   #41590  |  Link
Oguignant

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryrynz View Post
It's up to you to decide. Once again, It's personal preference based on your content, your display and your eyes. There is no "best"

Higher isn't better. Please don't use use NNEDI3 128 neurons for chroma, it contributes to climate change.
Maybe I ask wrong. I want to know what difference there is between each one. And also, for example, if instead of using "neddi3 d 128 q 32", it is the same to use "NGU high". Understand what I say? If with "NGU high" I get the same results, in performance terms I win, because "NGU high" is faster for me. "Different ways get the same result."

climate change? are you kidding?
Old 19th December 2016, 12:40   #41591  |  Link
hannes69

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryrynz View Post
Please don't use use NNEDI3 128 neurons for chroma, it contributes to climate change.
Yeah, it also contributes to climate change using GPUs like many here which are drawing more power alone than my whole desktop computer system including the monitor... Maybe power is way too cheap in many countries...
It is definitely a question of efficiency. Is it efficient to invest 500% more power to gain 0.5% better picture quality
The trend here is obvious: Spending as much money as one wants for a certain GPU and then maxing the load (90% until frames are dropping). And if max drawing algorithms arentīt possible, throw away the half year old GPU and buying a new one. Reminds me sometimes of the gaming scene, there obviously it seems very important to get 500 frames per second for certain games, for whatever thatīs good for.
I think for the people who are so proud of their GPU handling 256 neuron NNEDI3 luma and chroma quadrupling thereīs some need for the possibility of 512 neuron octopling
No offense, only a way of thinking about that.
hannes69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th December 2016, 13:03   #41592  |  Link
Oguignant

Quote:
Originally Posted by hannes69 View Post
Yeah, it also contributes to climate change using GPUs like many here which are drawing more power alone than my whole desktop computer system including the monitor... Maybe power is way too cheap in many countries...
It is definitely a question of efficiency. Is it efficient to invest 500% more power to gain 0.5% better picture quality
The trend here is obvious: Spending as much money as one wants for a certain GPU and then maxing the load (90% until frames are dropping). And if max drawing algorithms arentīt possible, throw away the half year old GPU and buying a new one. Reminds me sometimes of the gaming scene, there obviously it seems very important to get 500 frames per second for certain games, for whatever thatīs good for.
I think for the people who are so proud of their GPU handling 256 neuron NNEDI3 luma and chroma quadrupling thereīs some need for the possibility of 512 neuron octopling
No offense, only a way of thinking about that.
Energy is expensive in any country, if you use it as fun and not to produce. I believe the concept of global warming was invented by the Chinese to make the American industry stop being competitive... Does not matter, Al Gore and I appreciate what you do to improve climate change.
I contributed using the Air Conditioning to not less than 24 degrees.
Old 19th December 2016, 14:04   #41593  |  Link
Neo-XP

This is what I use now after a lot of testing with films (on good old v0.91.1 with a GTX 970) :

artifact removal : reduce banding artifacts (medium + high)

chroma upscaling : NGU-Med / super-xbr150 + AR + SR4 (no clear winner here, I use NGU-Med because the edges are sharper)
image downscaling : Bicubic150 + AR (relaxed)
image doubling for luma : 2x supersampling with NGU-Med
image doubling for chroma : Lanczos3 + AR
upscaling refinement : soften edges 1 + add grain 3

dithering : Ordered + use colored noise + change dither for every frame
Error Diffusion - option 2 gives better result, but I can't use it for 4K with my GC (90% load and dropped frames).

To remove ringing and dark halos, I just use this in aviSynth :
SetMemoryMax(768)
SetMTMode(3)
ffdshow_source()
SetMTMode(2)
FineDehalo(thmi=128, thma=128, thlimi=50, thlima=50, contra=1.0)
SetMTMode(1)
GetMTMode(false) > 0 ? distributor() : last

I'm still waiting for a new version to come out to disable image quadrupling and use Lanczos3 + AR for chroma doubling (NGU is overkill for this and Bicubic60 is not as sharp). I will then be able to do an apples-to-apples comparison.

Speaking of comparisons, here is one between super-xbr150 + AR + SR4 and NGU-Med for chroma upscaling :

Edges are sharper with NGU, but the texture looks sharper with super-xbr... I can't decide.

Last edited by Neo-XP; 19th December 2016 at 14:18.
Neo-XP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th December 2016, 14:11   #41594  |  Link
huhn

can you show an image where lanczos 3 AR is better for chroma doubling than bicubic 60 AR?
huhn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th December 2016, 14:34   #41595  |  Link
Neo-XP

Quote:
Originally Posted by huhn View Post
can you show an image where lanczos 3 AR is better for chroma doubling than bicubic 60 AR?
Sure, here you are with Bicubic60 AR / Lanczos3 AR / NGU-Med :

Lanczos3 AR is slightly sharper and closer to NGU.
The difference in GPU load is negligible for me (~1% more load).

Last edited by Neo-XP; 19th December 2016 at 14:41.
Old 19th December 2016, 14:36   #41596  |  Link
huhn

what chroma scaler was used and can you make a source image?
Old 19th December 2016, 14:39   #41597  |  Link
Neo-XP

Quote:
what chroma scaler was used and can you make a source image?
NGU-Med was used for chroma upscaling for this comparison.
You can test it yourself if you have any doubts, and post results.
Old 19th December 2016, 14:41   #41598  |  Link
huhn

well i need the image...
Old 19th December 2016, 14:47   #41599  |  Link
Neo-XP

Quote:
well i need the image...
All I can give you is the FHD image before the chroma doubling to 4K :

Last edited by Neo-XP; 19th December 2016 at 14:50.
Old 19th December 2016, 14:51   #41600  |  Link
huhn

ok got it amplifying again...

i mean a very very small part of an 720p image was scaled to 720p

Tags
direct compute, dithering, error diffusion, madvr, ngu, nnedi3, quality, renderer, scaling, uhd upscaling, upsampling