Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Hardware & Software > Software players
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 22nd November 2016, 23:16   #40601  |  Link
Warner306

How many NGU users are using soften edges or add grain?
Warner306 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd November 2016, 23:19   #40602  |  Link
seiyafan

Interesting, I remember the days when Catmull-Rom LL was the most popular downscaler, so now it's bicubic 150 (do you also turn the LL on)?

Last edited by seiyafan; 22nd November 2016 at 23:23.
seiyafan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd November 2016, 23:25   #40603  |  Link
Hyllian

Congrats, madshi! By looking at the comparison pictures, the envelope is pushed a little further. The results are amazing, mainly with good sources. I wonder how it would perform with retro games!

I suppose it'll stay closed source undefinitly, right? (I hope someday it'll be released.)

Is it totally based on shaders? Multipasses? Multialgorithms or is it just one algorithm?
Hyllian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd November 2016, 23:45   #40604  |  Link
Sp00kyFox

anyone else having issues with NNEDI3 lately? it gives me extreme graphical artifacts, doesn't matter which version I use. it's definitely not a heat or performance issue.

http://i.imgur.com/T323PcV.jpg

I'm using a GTX 760 (2GB VRAM) with driver version 375.95. don't know when it was the last time I tried this filter, so maybe it's a driver issue or a problem with this specific GPU?
Sp00kyFox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd November 2016, 23:55   #40605  |  Link
ryrynz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sp00kyFox View Post
anyone else having issues with NNEDI3 lately?
Not sure why you posted a screenshot with such extreme settings (500ms render time.. WTF) and then say it's not performance related..
Why not actually set some usable settings and see what happens, perhaps this is related in some way to using particular scalers together. So just try NNEDI3 by itself without killing your card slowly..
First step, disable NGU on chroma..
ryrynz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd November 2016, 00:11   #40606  |  Link
thighhighs

Quote:
anyone else having issues with NNEDI3 lately? it gives me extreme graphical artifacts, doesn't matter which version I use. it's definitely not a heat or performance issue.

I'm using a GTX 760 (2GB VRAM) with driver version 375.95. don't know when it was the last time I tried this filter, so maybe it's a driver issue or a problem with this specific GPU?
You use madvr\player x32 on windows x64? I have same artifacts when i use madvr x32 + nnedi image doubling on win10 x64. madvr x64 work fine. gtx 690, gtx660ti
thighhighs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd November 2016, 00:22   #40607  |  Link
fedpul

Quote:

Probably you are exceeding the VRAM limits with that settings. Try lower settings, those are extreme as already mentioned before.

Enviado desde mi MI 4LTE mediante Tapatalk
fedpul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd November 2016, 00:25   #40608  |  Link
Mikey2

Even though my computer can process most of the awesome super advanced scaling algorithms, am I alone in still liking "SoftCubic" the most for Chroma Upscaling?

Image(Luma) is a different story; I like a super sharp, yet non-aliased luma algorithm. But that only makes the juxtaposition of the ultra-smooth colors all the more pleasing!

The same goes for 1080P source material, where only Chroma Upscaling is used!
Mikey2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd November 2016, 00:31   #40609  |  Link
Sp00kyFox

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hyllian View Post
I wonder how it would perform with retro games!
with real pixelart, not good. with downscaled drawings or renderings it works great though as expected. here are some examples, the last one works best with this filter:
https://imgur.com/a/TnTFW

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryrynz View Post
Not sure why you posted a screenshot with such extreme settings (500ms render time.. WTF) and then say it's not performance related..
I already tried minimal settings with NNEDI3 with the same result. my target was not to run the filter in realtime but to compare it with others. but if you insist:
http://i.imgur.com/uiFEUqm.jpg

to repeat myself, the problem is not performance related.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thighhighs View Post
You use madvr\player x32 on windows x64? I have same artifacts when i use madvr x32 + nnedi image doubling on win10 x64. madvr x64 work fine. gtx 690, gtx660ti
yeah, maybe. I'm using ZoomPlayer which is only available as a 32bit application. probably time to use another software.
Old 23rd November 2016, 00:36   #40610  |  Link
ryrynz

Quote:
to repeat myself, the problem is not performance related.
Nobody else has this problem, it's related to your setup.
Try a proper removal and clean up of your drivers and reinstall, also disable any and every other application, ideally do a diagnostic startup through msconfig and try again.
Old 23rd November 2016, 00:51   #40611  |  Link
Sp00kyFox

Quote:
Nobody else has this problem, it's related to your setup.
I didn't state that this were the case. I actually asked if anyone else experienced this issue and as you can see someone did. so your claim that no one else has this problem is already false.

Quote:
Try a proper removal and clean up of your drivers and reinstall, also disable any and every other application, ideally do a diagnostic startup through msconfig and try again.
no other applications were running at the time of capturing and if you've read my post you should know that I just installed a new GPU driver.
inb4: format c and reinstall windows

thighhighs got it right. I just tried it with MPC-HC and the problem is still there with the x32 version but gone with the x64 version.

Last edited by Sp00kyFox; 23rd November 2016 at 01:03.
Old 23rd November 2016, 00:53   #40612  |  Link
austonrush

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warner306 View Post
How many NGU users are using soften edges or add grain?
I'm using both . At a level of one each. Since Add grain was fixed it has grown on me for real life video (I don't use it for animation). Soften edges is a must with NGU.
austonrush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd November 2016, 00:59   #40613  |  Link
austonrush

I'm not liking any version of NGU for lower quality SD content. It significantly enhances artifacts and blocking. NNEDI3 64 with SR2 or SR3 performs much better in this space. Anyone else tested this. I don't have images to post right now but, it was not hard to see.

My current profiles are setup to use NGU image doubling for 720 and 1080 content. I'm sticking with NNEDI3 SR2 for low def content.
austonrush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd November 2016, 01:02   #40614  |  Link
Warner306

Quote:
Originally Posted by austonrush View Post
I'm using both . At a level of one each. Since Add grain was fixed it has grown on me for real life video (I don't use it for animation). Soften edges is a must with NGU.
So far, I agree soften edges is a must have. Haven't played with add grain. Neither option appears to hamper performance much.
Warner306 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd November 2016, 01:04   #40615  |  Link
Scyna

Quote:

thighhighs got it right. I just tried it with MPC-HC and the problem is still there with the x32 version but gone with the x64 version.
I have the exact same problem you have except I get no video just audio. The queues also stay at 1/1. I'm on win 10 64x MSI Nvidia 1070 laptop 375.95 drivers.
Scyna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd November 2016, 01:05   #40616  |  Link
ryrynz

Quote:
I didn't stated that this were the case. I actually asked if anyone else experienced this issue and as you can see someone did. so your claim that no one else has this problem is already false.
I've not seen this listed as an issue. You found the one guy that experienced it.. Congrats, now lose the attitude.

Quote:
no other applications were running at the time of capturing and if you've read my post you should know that I just installed a new GPU driver.
inb4: format c and reinstall windows
So? Installing a new driver doesn't always fix issues. What you're doing is just bypassing the issue with the driver working in 32 bit, so reverting or doing what I said may just fix it. inb4: I actually know what I'm doing but yet here I am using a 32 bit player :P

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scyna View Post
I have the exact same problem you have except I get no video just audio. The queues also stay at 1/1. I'm on win 10 64x MSI Nvidia 1070 laptop 375.95 drivers.
Try earlier drivers or completely remove the old set and reinstall. This probably isn't an issue across the entire set released by Nvidia and doesn't appear to be related to a specific family of cards.
I have no issues using the latest drivers on my 960 with a 32 bit player, so you shouldn't either..

Last edited by ryrynz; 23rd November 2016 at 01:10.
Old 23rd November 2016, 02:12   #40617  |  Link
Sp00kyFox

Quote:
I've not seen this listed as an issue. You found the one guy that experienced it.. Congrats, now lose the attitude.
two guys, see Scynas post. and what attitude? I wasn't trying to anger or lecture you. maybe don't assume people are stupid before acting all so snippy and we can all help each other out in a friendly tone.

Quote:
So? Installing a new driver doesn't always fix issues. What you're doing is just bypassing the issue with the driver working in 32 bit, so reverting or doing what I said may just fix it.
I didn't claim that installing a new driver would fix the issue. I just installed a new one recently but the problem was already there with the previous one. and did you read my posts? it does NOT work in 32bit but in 64bit.

Quote:
inb4: I actually know what I'm doing but yet here I am using a 32 bit player :P
you're not the only one who knows how to properly handle a computer. yet here I am, a computer scientist who knows what he's doing and it's still not working in 32bit players. that's why I asked for help in the first place not because I'm too lazy to look for a solution.

Quote:
I have no issues using the latest drivers on my 960 with a 32 bit player, so you shouldn't either..
there are more components to a system then the GPU and its driver. reminds me of gaming forums where "but it works fine here so you're the problem" is a common answer.
now, to cite you, lose the attitude. you could start by telling us what OS, what player and what render path in madvr you use and maybe we can figure out together what the issue is.
Old 23rd November 2016, 02:24   #40618  |  Link
huhn

what decoder is used?
huhn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd November 2016, 02:24   #40619  |  Link
Hyllian

Quote:
with real pixelart, not good. with downscaled drawings or renderings it works great though as expected. here are some examples, the last one works best with this filter:
https://imgur.com/a/TnTFW
Thanks for the images. Waifu2x presents the same behavior too. They have very similar outputs. It should be great with pre-rendered games.
Hyllian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd November 2016, 02:56   #40620  |  Link
Sp00kyFox

Quote:
Originally Posted by huhn View Post
what decoder is used?
on my side it's LAVFilters v0.68.1-35. I usually use it with DXVA2 (copy-back) but I just tried all the other options with no success.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hyllian View Post
Thanks for the images. Waifu2x presents the same behavior too. They have very similar outputs. It should be great with pre-rendered games.
no problem. the challenge would be to seperate the image between pre-rendered elements and pixelart or 3D objects. maybe a similar approach like you once did with xBR does also work with NGU.

Tags
direct compute, dithering, error diffusion, madvr, ngu, nnedi3, quality, renderer, scaling, uhd upscaling, upsampling