Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Hardware & Software > Software players

Old 22nd January 2017, 20:11   #42121  |  Link
strumf666

Are you sure it's the graphics card? The odds of getting 2 cards with the same issue are slim.
strumf666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd January 2017, 21:29   #42122  |  Link
XMonarchY

Where did Image Doubling go? I just did a fresh format and re-install of Windows 10 and after installing the latest madVR, the settings do not include Image Doubling.
Old 22nd January 2017, 21:41   #42123  |  Link
Prinz

Quote:
Originally Posted by strumf666 View Post
Are you sure it's the graphics card? The odds of getting 2 cards with the same issue are slim.
Yeah, it's just this 1 card (not 2 cards) that has the issue. My old ATI card works fine.
Prinz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd January 2017, 22:21   #42124  |  Link
Warner306

Quote:
Originally Posted by XMonarchY View Post
Where did Image Doubling go? I just did a fresh format and re-install of Windows 10 and after installing the latest madVR, the settings do not include Image Doubling.
It's now under image upscaling.
Warner306 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd January 2017, 22:39   #42125  |  Link
Prinz

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkauff View Post
For the audio issues, the most recent builds of MPC-HC have a new internal audio renderer that uses WASAPI to bypass the Direct Sound mixer. If you want, it can be set to Exclusive mode so that nothing else can use the audio system while MPC-HC is running. You might want to try it to see if Direct Sound is the source of the audio problem.
Yeah with this renderer in exclusive mode it works fine, no unusual frame drops/repeats and all audio formats work too. Still the system clock is slow and i can't use my default player. Also this confirms there is a strange issue with DirectSound.
Old 23rd January 2017, 00:33   #42126  |  Link
XMonarchY

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warner306 View Post
It's now under image upscaling.
Its now VERY CONFUSING how to adjust these settings. I am going back to previous madVR because these new changes are like a nightmare to understand.
Old 23rd January 2017, 01:02   #42127  |  Link
Warner306

Quote:
Originally Posted by XMonarchY View Post
Its now VERY CONFUSING how to adjust these settings. I am going back to previous madVR because these new changes are like a nightmare to understand.
It's easier for me to understand. What's confusing?

There's no reason to be afraid of change.

The new settings will keep you from wasting resources on chroma doubling or downscaling after doubling.

Use the "let madVR decide" options for everything but luma quality and be pleasantly surprised by how much performance you save.

Last edited by Warner306; 23rd January 2017 at 01:16.
Warner306 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd January 2017, 02:31   #42128  |  Link
jkauff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prinz View Post
Yeah with this renderer in exclusive mode it works fine, no unusual frame drops/repeats and all audio formats work too. Still the system clock is slow and i can't use my default player. Also this confirms there is a strange issue with DirectSound.
As QBhd mentioned, a Google search will turn up a multitude of things that can affect the system clock. I guess you'll need to investigate further (especially if you've upgraded or added any programs recently).

I use JRiver MC 22 as well as MPC-HC. Lead ZoomPlayer developer Blight seems to be on a path to turn ZP into a JRiver-like media center, so maybe he would be open to creating a better audio renderer within ZP to compete with JRiver's excellent audio capabilities. Wouldn't hurt to ask.
jkauff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd January 2017, 02:41   #42129  |  Link
Neo-XP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warner306 View Post
Use the "let madVR decide" options for everything but luma quality and be pleasantly surprised by how much performance you save.
This is not true, you can save even more performance by choosing exactly which algorithm you want for each operation, and also get better image quality for your taste.

You also have more settings for image doubling in previous versions (like disabling image quadrupling to save performance, or choose another algorithm for that, decide for which scaling factor it will be used without profiles, etc.).

v0.91.1 is the last good version for me and the settings are perfectly clear and not redundant in this version. v0.91.5 is a test version that adds even more confusion.

Just my opinion.

Last edited by Neo-XP; 23rd January 2017 at 02:44.
Neo-XP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd January 2017, 02:50   #42130  |  Link
bcec

4K 10-bit file playback is broken for me for (viewing at 23Hz). After a little while, all queues are emptying and playback is seeing lots of dropped frames (even though rendering stats stay below 20ms). nVidia power settings are already at adaptive (also tried max power), so I don't believe that's the issue (also rendering stats don't change when this happens). I am at madVR v0.91.5. Any ideas?
Attached Images

Last edited by bcec; 23rd January 2017 at 02:58.
bcec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd January 2017, 06:17   #42131  |  Link
Anima123

Somehow, the new NGU 4x + show comic like effect on very low-res videos, not as good as NGU 2x to me. SuperXBR quadrupling with sharpness 100 looks better in that case.

Of course very low-res videos, as vcd eras, is quite full of artefacts. Strange thing is, even NNEDI3 64 + 32 quadrupling looks blocky on these materials, not as visually pleasant as SuperXBR.

Last edited by Anima123; 23rd January 2017 at 06:28.
Anima123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd January 2017, 09:21   #42132  |  Link
Prinz

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkauff View Post
As QBhd mentioned, a Google search will turn up a multitude of things that can affect the system clock. I guess you'll need to investigate further (especially if you've upgraded or added any programs recently).
I just switched the card, nothing more. No software or hardware changes besides the graphics driver of course. I put the old card back in and all problems are gone. So it's the card.
Old 23rd January 2017, 09:25   #42133  |  Link
Ver Greeneyes

Regarding the discussion about the new settings page, note that in madshi's last message he said that the next version will once again revamp the settings. So don't get too attached to or distraught about the way things work now!
Ver Greeneyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd January 2017, 15:26   #42134  |  Link
Dlget

why there isn't something like madvr for linux?
it seems mpv is onlything linux got.Althought we can use different post processing scaling method present for mpv (many may be adapted from mpdn) configuring them to work in different case seems a pain.
Asus Gtx 960 strix OC
Dlget is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd January 2017, 16:08   #42135  |  Link
huhn

madVR uses Direct X so a port is not really possible.

the other "topic" is "banned" here. AFAIK.
huhn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd January 2017, 20:13   #42136  |  Link
StinDaWg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neo-XP View Post
This is not true, you can save even more performance by choosing exactly which algorithm you want for each operation, and also get better image quality for your taste.

You also have more settings for image doubling in previous versions (like disabling image quadrupling to save performance, or choose another algorithm for that, decide for which scaling factor it will be used without profiles, etc.).

v0.91.1 is the last good version for me and the settings are perfectly clear and not redundant in this version. v0.91.5 is a test version that adds even more confusion.

Just my opinion.
Agreed.
StinDaWg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd January 2017, 20:16   #42137  |  Link
ryrynz

Quote:
Originally Posted by StinDaWg View Post
Agreed.
I haven't updated, which is a first. CBA redoing my profiles and it looks like things are still changing. Might be on 0.91.1 for a while.
ryrynz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd January 2017, 20:47   #42138  |  Link
Telion

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryrynz View Post
I haven't updated, which is a first. CBA redoing my profiles and it looks like things are still changing. Might be on 0.91.1 for a while.
+1 still on 0.91.1. Setting a whole bunch of profiles instead of just choosing a pair of radiobuttons for doubling/quadrupling activation ratio is too much PITA.
Telion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd January 2017, 22:33   #42139  |  Link
koravei

Hello Madshi, is it possible to implement HLG (Hybrid Log-Gamma/ARIB STD-B67) in your HDR to SDR conversion?

Here is one demo in HDR - HLG: http://demo-uhd3d.com/fiche.php?cat=uhd&id=154
koravei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th January 2017, 19:54   #42140  |  Link
magnusr

Do you guys leave nvidias control panel setting "Content type reported to display" to Auto: Select? Or do you choose Full screen Videos?
magnusr is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
direct compute, dithering, error diffusion, madvr, ngu, nnedi3, quality, renderer, scaling, uhd upscaling, upsampling