Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > (HD) DVD, Blu-ray & (S)VCD > One click suites for DVD backup and DVD creation

Old 14th December 2012, 05:20   #2181  |  Link
Adub
Fighting spam with a fish

Quote:
@edwood

please post the whole log file. You can attach the file
Or feel free to use a service like pastebin, which will avoid the need for a moderator to approve the attachment.
Old 14th December 2012, 16:37   #2182  |  Link
edwood

MrC,

I did not know that you could attach a file to this forum board. I have not seen an attachment icon. When you suggested that I attach the file, I did a little exploring and discovered the attachment icon under the advanced button.

Here is the attachment from the project that aborted during the muxing procedure. It is labeled Logfile.txt

After the process aborted, I started the process again, and let it run throughout the night. At about 3am, I heard my laptop reboot. When I checked on it later that morning, I found that AVS2DVD had not burned a DVD. However, AVS2DVD got far enough into the process that it did create the file folders AUDIO_TS & VIDEO_TS, with the appropriate files in the VIDEO_TS folder. I then used CyberLink Power2Go to burn the DVD.

Here is the attachment from that project. It is labeled Logfile2.txt

I hope this helps you figure out what is going on. Again, I wonder if it is the fact that the external drive goes into "sleep" mode after a certain period of time.

Have a great weekend!
Ed
Attached Files
File Type: txt Logfile.txt (34.9 KB, 15 views)
File Type: txt Logfile2.txt (34.6 KB, 16 views)
edwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th December 2012, 18:50   #2183  |  Link
manolito

Quote:
Originally Posted by edwood View Post
Again, I wonder if it is the fact that the external drive goes into "sleep" mode after a certain period of time.
This seems to be a common problem with external HDDs (I have got one of those, too). But there are workarounds:

http://nosleephd.codeplex.com/

http://xsleep.codeplex.com/

and if both of these do not work, try this as a last resort:

http://zababov.blogspot.de/2011/04/t...er-saving.html

Cheers
manolito
manolito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th December 2012, 22:17   #2184  |  Link
Sparktank
47.952fps@71.928Hz

Re: "sleep mode" for external HDD's...

I've configured the Power Options on my laptop to disable any sort of USB selective suspension.
With that disabled, I've been able to do all sorts of things with my externals for encoding/decoding, etc.
AMD Ryzen 5 2600 @3.4GHz (6c/12th, I'm on AVX2 now!)
Sparktank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th December 2012, 22:27   #2185  |  Link
manolito

Quote:
However, AVS2DVD took a total of 22 hours and 17 minutes from start to finish to complete the project. Is this normal? or did I set things up wrong? That amount of time for a project is 4 times as long as it takes DVDFlick to complete a project of the sae type (8 - 48min .avi files).

I love AVS2DVD, but obviously, I cannot tie up my laptop for a full 24 hours to complete one project when I have over 400 episodes of Perry Mason and Ironside to compile to DVD.

Any suggestions on why it took so long to complete the project?
OK, here are some suggestions how you can get the maximum speed out of AVS2toDVD. I am fully aware that MrC will probably not endorse these suggestions since he always puts quality over speed... , but for people with slow computers it is probably worth a try.

The reason why DVDFlick is so much faster than AVStoDVD is that DVDFlick uses ffmpeg in 1-pass mode for the conversion. AVStoDVD normally uses HCenc, and most of the time it uses 2-pass VBR mode. Much better quality, but it might take up to 4 times longer, as you already discovered.

AVStoDVD comes with QuEnc (based on libavcodec like ffmpeg), but by default it is only used for very high bitrates (in CBR mode with the HQ flag enabled). But it is possible to use QuEnc for lower bitrates in 1-pass VBR mode without the HQ flag. This will probably result in an encoding speed and quality very similar to DVDFlick.

This is what you have to do:

In AVStoDVD under "Advanced Project Settings" you have to enable the option "Edit Encoder Command Parameters at Runtime". Load your source(s), then click "View/Edit Title Settings". Under "Video" uncheck the "Auto Video Setup" option. Now specify QuEnc as your encoder.

Start the conversion, the edit window for the QuEnc parameters will pop up. Now you have to replace "-hq" with "-nohq" and "-novbr" with "-vbr". For medium to lower bitrates you might want to use the qlb matrix instead of the mpeg standard matrix. You can specify this by adding the "-qlb" parameter to the command line.

Close the edit window, the conversion will start.

Make sure to carefully examine the resulting DVD to make sure that you are happy with the quality...

Cheers
manolito
Old 14th December 2012, 22:32   #2186  |  Link
manolito

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparktank View Post
Re: "sleep mode" for external HDD's...

I've configured the Power Options on my laptop to disable any sort of USB selective suspension.
With that disabled, I've been able to do all sorts of things with my externals for encoding/decoding, etc.
It seems like a lot of external HDDs completely ignore the Power Saving options of the operating system. The sleep mode settings reside inside the firmware of the external drive, and many companies like WD, Samsung or Maxtor do not provide any means for the user to change firmware settings.

Cheers
manolito
Old 14th December 2012, 23:06   #2187  |  Link
qyot27
...?

Quote:
MrC

I will search for the log file to post. Where is it located, and what is it titled?

You raised the point that is probably my problem. The laptop has a cpu speed of 1.3mhz. There is 2mb ram installed, and the hdd size is 80mb of which it is probably 1/2 full. I have a 1tb external usb drive that I will see if the laptop will recognize and use. That should speed up the process considerably if AVS2DVD will support the external drive.

Thanks,
Ed
Drive size means nothing in terms of speed. The RPM of the drive - or it being an SSD would (but with it being over USB, you're bottlenecking that; it needs to be hooked directly to the internal connectors for HDDs to really make use of that), but the amount of storage space doesn't. And any significant performance degradation you'd find from a lack of storage space won't come into play until the drive is 90% full or more.

Speaking from the perspective of ancient hardware (1GHz Pentium III-based Celeron Coppermine, 512MB PC133 SDRAM - but it came with 256MB; this thing was bought in 2001), your best bet is to convert the files to DVD compliant MPEG-2/AC3 well before you ever give them to AVStoDVD, and simply use the 'Keep compliant video/audio' options so that the only thing it does is construct the menus and other disc navigation structures.

Encoding the individual episodes first means you can break up the amount of dedicated time spent on the task, or if you have access to a much faster computer, you could always do the encoding on there and then transport the files back to the main computer for authoring (I do this for television episodes; I have access to an iMac with a Core i5 in it; takes about 5 minutes to convert a 24 minute long TV episode*).

*1280x720 H.264 source -> 720x480 MPEG-2 destination

Last edited by qyot27; 14th December 2012 at 23:10.
qyot27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th December 2012, 13:10   #2188  |  Link
edwood

Quote:
Originally Posted by qyot27 View Post

your best bet is to convert the files to DVD compliant MPEG-2/AC3 well before you ever give them to AVStoDVD, and simply use the 'Keep compliant video/audio' options so that the only thing it does is construct the menus and other disc navigation structures.

Encoding the individual episodes first means you can break up the amount of dedicated time spent on the task, or if you have access to a much faster computer, you could always do the encoding on there and then transport the files back to the main computer for authoring.
Can you suggest a good freeware program that will convert the files from .avi format to MPEG-2/AC3 format? I will gladly try that, even though I have approximately 450 48 minute episodes to convert. If I can speed up the burning process it is worth a try.

As to using the main computer to do the job, the reason I am using my laptop is because of the heavy use of the desktop. My wife is a big facebook fan, and also loves to "surf the net." If the computer is busy encoding or burning a dvd, she will just minimize it to do her thing. As a result, I have many coasters because of the time sharing interruptions.

Thanks for your suggestions. Have a great weekend!
Ed
Old 15th December 2012, 13:18   #2189  |  Link
edwood

Quote:
Originally Posted by manolito View Post
But it is possible to use QuEnc for lower bitrates in 1-pass VBR mode without the HQ flag. This will probably result in an encoding speed and quality very similar to DVDFlick.

Cheers
manolito
Since the Perry Mason episodes are all b&w (only 1 was done in color), this would probably be a good solution.

Thanks for the suggestion. Have a great weekend!
Ed
Old 15th December 2012, 16:51   #2190  |  Link
qyot27
...?

Forewarning: This might be a lot to try and digest all at once, so don't rush.

You can use HCenc for MPEG-2, and ffmpeg for AC3. AVStoDVD uses both, but the programs can be used on their own (and minimizing an encoding program won't stop it unless the program's process is actually killed by clicking Close or exiting the program). The easiest way is to have it set up as a batch script, where you control the encoding programs through the command line, which will also exit the programs after everything is finished. You can then fetch the encodes when the computer is available again.

HCenc is controlled via an .ini file that contains the settings you want to use. You can experiment with the GUI that comes with the official HCenc 0.26 package (here), which will write the .ini file for you. Once you have it set up in a way that is satisfactory (it may mean playing with the bitrate values so that you can make sure a certain number of episodes fit on a single disc), you can take that .ini file, and use it as input to the command-line version (you need to delete the INPUTFILE and OUTPUTFILE settings in the .ini file, and just specify where to find the right episodes when you call the CLI). Also worth noting that HCenc takes input in the form of AviSynth scripts. I'll give a better example below.

For instance, you might have the following .ini file (let's name it encode.ini):
Code:
*BITRATE          5000
*MAXBITRATE          5000
*1PASS
*PROFILE          best
*ASPECT          4:3
*GOP              12 2
*DC_PREC          9
*PROGRESSIVE
*INTRAVLC          2
*CLOSEDGOPS
*LASTIFRAME
*MPEGLEVEL        MP@ML
*MATRIX           mpeg
*WAIT             0
The *PROFILE and *DC_PREC settings affect performance. If you delete the '*PROFILE' line, HCenc uses the 'normal' setting, or you can change 'best' to 'fast'. *DC_PREC can be lowered to 8. Lowering them speeds up encoding, at the expense of quality.

You would then have an AviSynth script like this, let's name it episode1.avs (the " are necessary, but change the script name and .avi filename as appropriate):
Code:
AVISource("episode1.avi").BilinearResize(720,480).ChangeFPS(29.97).SSRC(48000)
The BilinearResize, ChangeFPS, and SSRC filters are just to make sure that everything matches DVD specifications. If the files are already at the right specs, those filters aren't necessary. 29.97 is assumed for the FPS because these are television episodes from before the advent of HDTV (I'm also assuming NTSC specifications - which covers North America and Japan - rather than PAL).

Then you can use HCenc's command line version directly (make sure encode.ini is in the same folder as the AviSynth script(s), it'll make it easier):
Code:
hcenc_026 -i episode1.avs -o episode1.m2v -ini encode.ini
Chances are, you'll want to make sure Windows can see HCenc from whatever folder you happen to be in. To do this, download Path Editor and tell it to add the 'HCenc' and 'FFmpeg' folders that live inside AVStoDVD's installation folder, and then click 'Save to Registry'. From that point forward, you can open up a Command Prompt anywhere and use either program by just using the program's name. You'll also want to get mplex, which is in the MJPEGTools package (download here). Unpack it with WinRAR or 7zip, and put mplex.exe (from the bin folder) in the same folder as HCenc. Or just throw it into C:\Windows and forget about it.

Finally, batch scripts will tie all of this together so that you don't have to do each step manually. It's completely automatic, so after each task is done it moves onto the next. You open up notepad and use the same command that you would use on the command line if you were doing it manually, each one on a new line. You can even tell the batch script to generate the AviSynth scripts.
Code:
echo AVISource("episode1.avi").BilinearResize(720,480).ChangeFPS(29.97).SSRC(48000)>episode1.avs
ffmpeg -i episode1.avs -vn -acodec ac3 -ab 192k episode1.ac3
hcenc_026 -i episode1.avs -o episode1.m2v -ini encode.ini
mplex -f8 -V episode1.m2v episode1.ac3 -o ../episode1-final.mpg
You'd repeat those lines for any additional episodes, just changing the filenames so they point to the right episodes. If it's all episode#, then you'd just change the #. I also like to make mplex output the final .mpg file to a different folder so that they aren't mixed in with the rest of the files. That's what the ../ does - it makes the final file get output to the folder immediately above where the encoding happens. So if all the files are in C:\Documents and Settings\Username\My Documents\encready, it'll output the final .mpg files to My Documents.

Save the batch script - let's call it encode_now.bat - and then all you have to do is double-click on the batch script and it'll do everything automatically. It creates the AviSynth script for 'episode1.avi', encodes the audio to 192kbps AC3 using ffmpeg, then encodes the video as MPEG-2 using HCenc, and then joins the video and audio together into a single file with mplex. You then can give the -final.mpg files to AVStoDVD when you've got all of the episodes you want to go on a single disc ready. If AVStoDVD is set to 'Keep compliant video/audio', then it won't do any converting and the disc should be authored in about 30 minutes or so, and then burned in whatever time it normally takes for your burner to do that (typically 12-15 minutes at the most, assuming a write speed of 6x).

To make it easier to keep filenames straight, I use Ninotech Path Copy to allow me to select multiple files, right-click, and select Copy Path->Copy Long Name. I can then paste the filenames directly into Notepad and build the batch script around them, instead of having to remember what the names are or worry about whether I typed them correctly.

Last edited by qyot27; 15th December 2012 at 16:54.
Old 15th December 2012, 17:59   #2191  |  Link
manolito

@qyot27

You made a very nice tutorial here, but isn't it exactly the purpose of AVStoDVD to shield the user from all this trouble while still giving the same high quality output?

If all the episodes should be converted separately into muxed DVD-compliant MPEG2 files, no problem, AVStoDVD can output muxed MPEG2 files which can be authored and burned later.

Whatever, each to his own...

Cheers
manolito
Old 15th December 2012, 20:22   #2192  |  Link
manolito

@MrC

Quote:
- Added 'DeBlock' AviSynth deblocking filter (by Manao) in 'Title Edit'/'AviSynth'
This is very nice, but it really should be changed for interlaced sources. DeBlock is only meant for progressive material, to use it for interlaced material some modifications must be made. Have a look here:
http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.ph...45#post1568545

If Deblocking is added and AVStoDVD has determined that the source is interlaced, it should insert something like the following script:

Code:
# Deblock for interlaced sources

par = getparity()
SeparateFields()
PointResize(width,height)
Deblock(...parameters...)
AssumeFrameBased()
SeparateFields()
Merge(SelectEven(),SelectOdd())
par ? AssumeTFF() : AssumeBFF()
Weave()

Cheers
manolito

Last edited by manolito; 15th December 2012 at 23:05.
Old 15th December 2012, 21:21   #2193  |  Link
qyot27
...?

Quote:
@qyot27

You made a very nice tutorial here, but isn't it exactly the purpose of AVStoDVD to shield the user from all this trouble while still giving the same high quality output?

If all the episodes should be converted separately into muxed DVD-compliant MPEG2 files, no problem, AVStoDVD can output muxed MPEG2 files which can be authored and burned later.

Whatever, each to his own...

Cheers
manolito
True. I was mostly speaking from experience of not having used those modes in AVStoDVD (I've only ever used the default 'DVD Folder Structure' setup), so I was going off of what I do know rather than trying to assume something about what I don't.
Old 16th December 2012, 14:38   #2194  |  Link
edwood

Wow! Thanks for the great input & tutorial guys. It is getting just a little to involved and technical for me. Even though I have a FCC 1st Class license, I think that I will leave all of the "hands on" technical stuff to those who have the patience to do everything described in the tutorial. I'll just stick to the GUI programse that simplify matters for me.

I am still looking for a stand alone mpeg to avi converter program. I have found two that look promising: [spam]. Has anyone had any experiece with either of these, or do you suggest another stand alone converter?

Thanks,
Ed

Last edited by Guest; 16th December 2012 at 15:19.
Old 16th December 2012, 16:15   #2195  |  Link
manolito

Quote:
I am still looking for a stand alone mpeg to avi converter program.
Don't pay any money for this kind of software. They are all based on ffmpeg which is free, and they wrap it into some cool looking GUI and probably install some toolbars or spyware.

The fastest software for this task I am aware of is WinFF. It is just a GUI for ffmpeg, and it comes with all kinds of templates (which can be modified if necessary). The templates PAL DVD fast or NTSC DVD fast are really "fast", at an acceptable quality IMO.

//Edit//
In your first post you mentioned that you have been using DVDFlick for a long time, but that you liked the menu capabilities of AVStoDVD better. Maybe you should test DVDStyler. It produces very nice menus with little effort, it uses libavcodec for the actual conversion (quite fast, acceptable quality), and it also does authoring and burning if needed.

Cheers
manolito

Last edited by manolito; 16th December 2012 at 23:40.
Old 17th December 2012, 14:12   #2196  |  Link
MrC
AVStoDVD Dev

Quote:
This is very nice, but it really should be changed for interlaced sources. DeBlock is only meant for progressive material, to use it for interlaced material some modifications must be made. Have a look here:
http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.ph...45#post1568545

If Deblocking is added and AVStoDVD has determined that the source is interlaced, it should insert something like the following script:

Code:
# Deblock for interlaced sources

par = getparity()
SeparateFields()
PointResize(width,height)
Deblock(...parameters...)
AssumeFrameBased()
SeparateFields()
Merge(SelectEven(),SelectOdd())
par ? AssumeTFF() : AssumeBFF()
Weave()
Yep, you are right. Very nicely I need to revise the general order of AviSynth filters placement in the script.

Do you think that this post can be used as reference?

Thanks

Bye

AVStoDVD Homepage
AVStoDVD @ Doom9 Forum
MrC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th December 2012, 17:51   #2197  |  Link
manolito

Quote:
Do you think that this post can be used as reference?
Looks reasonable to me...

I found this somewhere on doom9:

Code:
deblock
deinterlace
crop
resize
degrain
sharpen
I found some different opinions if denoising and sharpening should better come before or after resizing, but it probably depends on the source, and if resizing means up- or downsizing.

It seems important that deblocking should be the very first thing right after loading the source.

Cheers
manolito
Old 17th December 2012, 21:25   #2198  |  Link
MrC
AVStoDVD Dev

Quote:
It seems important that deblocking should be the very first thing right after loading the source.
Wait, DeBlock should be applied only to progressive stream, shouldn't it?

PROGRESSIVE
- Source load
- Color Space conversion
- Deblock
- Denoise/Degrain
- Crop/AddBorders
- Resize
- Sharpen
- Framerate adjust
- Tweak colors

INTERLACED
- Source load
- Color Space conversion
- Deinterlace
- Deblock
- Denoise/Degrain
- Crop/AddBorders
- Resize
- Sharpen
- Re-Interlace
- Framerate adjust
- Tweak colors

Bye

AVStoDVD Homepage
AVStoDVD @ Doom9 Forum
MrC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th December 2012, 23:37   #2199  |  Link
manolito

According to TheSkiller Deblock should always come before deinterlacing:

http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.ph...80#post1581080

Of course you could look at these commands
Quote:
SeparateFields().PointResize(width,height)
Deblock()
as a special kind of deinterlacing

But I think it would be a bad idea to use LeakKernelDeint() before DeBlock()

Cheers
manolito
Old 18th December 2012, 21:20   #2200  |  Link
MrC
AVStoDVD Dev

Thus for INTERLACED sources:

- Source load
- Color Space conversion
- Separate fields
- Deblock
- Merge fields (weave)