Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Video Encoding > MPEG-4 ASP

Old 8th October 2020, 17:44   #21  |  Link
Selur

side note:
- the GPAC Team fixed the muxing of MPEG-4 ASP raw streams (https://github.com/gpac/gpac/issues/1609), so MP4Box can be used to mux raw MPEG-4 ASP to mp4 again.
- Sadly Mosu is not interested to spend time on MPEG-4 ASP (https://gitlab.com/mbunkus/mkvtoolni...note_425653157).
Old 8th October 2020, 18:53   #22  |  Link
filler56789
SuperVirus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Selur View Post
Sadly Mosu is not interested to spend time on MPEG-4 ASP (https://gitlab.com/mbunkus/mkvtoolni...note_425653157).
At least he has always been very honest, which surely is a good thing
Quite different from the gpackers who shamelessly lie about "lack of time" because they don't have the courage to say "give us N thousand US$s and only then we'll do what you want us to implement in our software".
ANYWAY: "everybody" creates ASP-in-AVI because "nobody" creates ASP-in-MP4, this the reason why ASP in Matroska by default uses the VfW-compatible mode instead of the "native" MPEG-4 mode

Quote:
- the GPAC Team fixed the muxing of MPEG-4 ASP raw streams (https://github.com/gpac/gpac/issues/1609), so MP4Box can be used to mux raw MPEG-4 ASP to mp4 again.
Just keep using the old builds of MP4Box, problem solved
What isn't broken doesn't have to be "upgraded"

Last edited by filler56789; 8th October 2020 at 18:54. Reason: clarity
filler56789 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th October 2020, 14:10   #23  |  Link
LigH
German doom9/Gleitz SuMo

I made a combined patch (incl. MAX_ZONES 8192) that applies in MABS and got xvid_encraw built with GCC 10.2; unfortunately, it does not work when the -i parameter is omitted, but it works with -i stdin alternatively. Will upload it later in the VideoHelp forum (MediaFire likes to block files containing the string "xvid", I believe)...

@Kurtnoise: wiiaboo wondered if in_file is declared twice now.

New German Gleitz board
MediaFire: x264 | x265 | VPx | AOM | Xvid
LigH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10th October 2020, 12:11   #24  |  Link
LigH
German doom9/Gleitz SuMo

The media-autobuild team is developing things further; the next release will work correctly without any -i parameter (and not need -i stdin nor support it anymore). They try to create a git fork from the current SVN so it takes a little while...

New German Gleitz board
Old 10th October 2020, 12:37   #25  |  Link
filler56789
SuperVirus

Quote:
Originally Posted by LigH View Post
The media-autobuild team is developing things further;
the next release will work correctly without any -i parameter (and not need -i stdin nor support it anymore).
They try to create a git fork from the current SVN so it takes a little while...
That looks promising
If the changes are big enough and good enough then it will be fair to give a new name to the application
I have never liked the "encraw" part and the underscore before it.
Something like "xvidencoder" would sound much better IMNSHO.

Last edited by filler56789; 10th October 2020 at 12:43. Reason: bad keyboard :-/
Old 11th October 2020, 06:50   #26  |  Link
Selur

Personally I like encraw = enc raw = encode raw as a name or an application that is meant to encode to raw (in this case MPEG-4 ASP) video,...
Old 11th October 2020, 10:48   #27  |  Link
filler56789
SuperVirus

Quote:
Personally I like encraw = enc raw = encode raw as a name or an application that is meant to encode to raw (in this case MPEG-4 ASP) video,...
okay...
Code:
#define XVID_AVI_OUTPUT
#ifdef XVID_MKV_OUTPUT
#include "matroska.cpp"
#endif
char *outavifilename;   /* output avi filename */
char *outmkvfilename;   /* output mkv filename */
Old 11th October 2020, 15:59   #28  |  Link
filler56789
SuperVirus

^ FOLLOW-UP:

one thing I have not understood yet...

¿why neither xvid_encraw nor x264 include an MP4 multiplexer in their respective source-codes?

I mean:
x264 by default is compiled with an FLV muxer and an MKV muxer, but if one wants an MP4 output, then they must first compile and install L-Smash or (blargh!)GPAC;
and
xvid_encraw doesn't even have such lazy option(s);;

then my question is:
¿is it that difficult to write a .C or .CPP file + a .H file dedicated to multiplex only ASP or AVC elementary streams to an MP4 container?

Last edited by filler56789; 11th October 2020 at 23:44. Reason: grammar
Old 12th October 2020, 07:41   #29  |  Link
LigH
German doom9/Gleitz SuMo

As already mentioned, xvid_encraw was rather merely a usage demonstration than a production application. The AVI muxer does not even create OpenDML, bad for target sizes >2 GB.

Talented developers are possibly able to create a really useful encoder application based on this. But ... how many people do still need MPEG4-ASP these days? So, how much efforts is such a tool worth now?

Anyway, MABS now uses its own fork: https://github.com/m-ab-s/xvid.git ... and AFAIK, MABS also supports private local patches in its profile system.

PS: MP4Box was recently fixed to support multiplexing raw MPEG4-ASP to MP4 again.

New German Gleitz board
Old 12th October 2020, 13:20   #30  |  Link
filler56789
SuperVirus

@LigH: thanks for saying that my question is irrelevant

Quote:
Anyway, MABS now uses its own fork: https://github.com/m-ab-s/xvid.git ... and AFAIK, MABS also supports private local patches in its profile system.
Thanks for the URL as well. IF my lazyness is not too big then maybe I will open some issues in their repository... for example, MABS did not remove the problematic mno-cygwin references in the makefile of the VfW DLL :facepalm_emoji:
...and to make things worse, they insist on the stupid and useless "miniconverter"
:unamused_emoji:
and like the original Xvidders, they don't care that the infamous "Bitrock InstallBuilder" installers cannot be unpacked by third-party applications.
Old 12th October 2020, 14:06   #31  |  Link
LigH
German doom9/Gleitz SuMo

Well, MABS forked the whole repo but in fact only uses what's required for the CLI EXE. The current setup does not even "install" the xvidcore.dll to the local output directories anymore.

New German Gleitz board
Old 14th October 2020, 12:04   #32  |  Link
LigH
German doom9/Gleitz SuMo

wiiaboo scolded me, I was wrong where I mentioned ideas about adding features for xvid. This repo only exists for convenience to load xvid sources from using git instead of SVN, to build them in MABS. It is not an active fork for further development.

So if you want to contribute to xvid, you may have to register as xvid developer in their organization to obtain commit rights to their main SVN repo, or discuss contributions in their developer mailing list.

New German Gleitz board

Last edited by LigH; 14th October 2020 at 12:07.
Old 14th October 2020, 13:11   #33  |  Link
filler56789
SuperVirus

Quote:
wiiaboo scolded me, I was wrong where I mentioned ideas about adding features for xvid. This repo only exists for convenience to load xvid sources from using git instead of SVN, to build them in MABS. It is not an active fork for further development.
Thanks for the clarification.
Well, one thing that I would suggest to the MABS people is remove from their Xvid "mirror" everything that they don't use, such as the "xvidextras" and the VFW interface.

Quote:
So if you want to contribute to xvid, you may have to register as xvid developer in their organization to obtain commit rights to their main SVN repo, or discuss contributions in their developer mailing list.
No, thanks, I'd better keep using DivX forever

«discuss contributions in their developer mailing list.»

Not even that. I cannot expect very much from programmers who think a miniconverter and a lousy installer are an excellent idea

DivX let's the user adjust the sensitivity of the the scene-change detection. This is a good idea that the Xvidders should have "copied" (I mean, implemented) ages ago, but they didn't, because they insist that the "zones" thing is an acceptable workaround.
:Person_Shrugging_Emoji: