Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > (HD) DVD, Blu-ray & (S)VCD > DVD & BD Rebuilder

Old 13th August 2020, 23:05   #29861  |  Link
jdobbs

Quote:
Originally Posted by cartman0208 View Post
Yep, "copy" or using the JSON file gives the same negative result...

The file is extracted with
Code:
ffmpeg -i "input.m2ts" -c:v copy -vbsf hevc_mp4toannexb -f hevc - | hdr10plus_parser.exe -o metadata.json -
Correct?

Problem might be, that rigaya does not have the equipment either. I think I'll post an issue on his github page.

I suggest to disable the feature by default and only enable it optional... until the root cause is found.
Yes. The JSON file is extracted with that command line -- it actually comes from the hdr10plus_parser.exe documentation.

Yeah. I'll do that.

The NVENCC documentation does say the "copy" option is "experimental". Interestingly it doesn't say that about --dhdr10-info with the JSON file.

You mentioned that x265 looks ok without the metadata. Have you tried an X265 encode using the JSON file?

Last edited by jdobbs; 13th August 2020 at 23:53.
jdobbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th August 2020, 07:33   #29862  |  Link
cartman0208

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdobbs View Post
Yes. The JSON file is extracted with that command line -- it actually comes from the hdr10plus_parser.exe documentation.

Yeah. I'll do that.

The NVENCC documentation does say the "copy" option is "experimental". Interestingly it doesn't say that about --dhdr10-info with the JSON file.

You mentioned that x265 looks ok without the metadata. Have you tried an X265 encode using the JSON file?
Yes, that works well with BDRB:
Quote:
"V:\BD_Rebuilder\tools\ffmpeg.exe" -probesize 100MB -i "V:\FULLDISC\BOHEMIAN_RHAPSODY\BDMV\STREAM\00685.m2ts" -an -pix_fmt yuv420p10le -f yuv4mpegpipe -strict -1 - | "V:\BD_Rebuilder\tools\x265-64.exe" - --preset ultrafast --profile main10 --uhd-bd --repeat-headers --vbv-bufsize 45000 --vbv-maxrate 48000 --hdr --chromaloc 2 --colorprim bt2020 --transfer smpte2084 --colormatrix bt2020nc --master-display "G(13250,34500)B(7500,3000)R(34000,16000)WP(15635,16450)L(10000000,50)" --dhdr10-info "V:\OUTPUT\WORKFILES\VID_00685.JSON" --fps 23.976 --slow-firstpass --qpfile "V:\OUTPUT\WORKFILES\VID_00685.CHP" --keyint 24 --crf 30 --y4m --stats "V:\OUTPUT\WORKFILES\VID_00685.AVS.hevc.stats" --output "V:\OUTPUT\WORKFILES\VID_00685.AVS.hevc"
That one is unaltered from LASTCMD, brightness is right and also comes without flicker.
cartman0208 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th August 2020, 21:47   #29863  |  Link
jdobbs

Quote:
Yes, that works well with BDRB:

That one is unaltered from LASTCMD, brightness is right and also comes without flicker.
Ahh so that makes it clear that the issue is within NVENCC.

Thanks.

I'll do a couple encodes with each encoder and then look at the SEI extension data in the HEVC files to see what differences I can find.

I think if I can get past that one, I'm ready for a new release (a real one rather than test version).

Last edited by jdobbs; 14th August 2020 at 21:52.
Old 15th August 2020, 03:21   #29864  |  Link
MrVideo

This is a capability question. As you know, I've created BDs with 1080p H.264 videos, with menus. Can 1080p HEVC videos be used in the same way to create UHD formatted BDs with menus? The video is not to be upscale recoded to 4K, but left as 1080p.
MrVideo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th August 2020, 14:24   #29865  |  Link
jdobbs

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrVideo View Post
This is a capability question. As you know, I've created BDs with 1080p H.264 videos, with menus. Can 1080p HEVC videos be used in the same way to create UHD formatted BDs with menus? The video is not to be upscale recoded to 4K, but left as 1080p.
I'm working on that. Right now my plan is for the menus themselves to stay H.264/1080p, but the videos accessed via the menu would be HEVC at 1080p.

I will include a hidden switch that would allow 720p and SD to be encoded to HEVC as well. That wouldn't be inline with the BD specification -- but I think most if not all UHD players will handle it (mine does). It would make it nice for creating disc backups of things like SD series. It could give the better quality of HEVC at low bitrates when you put a large number of episodes on a single disc.

Last edited by jdobbs; 15th August 2020 at 14:41.
Old 16th August 2020, 02:11   #29866  |  Link
MrVideo

Quote:
I'm working on that.
I look forward to it. Thanks.
Old 16th August 2020, 14:13   #29867  |  Link
jdobbs

Quote:
I look forward to it. Thanks.
Well... a new glitch thrown into the mix. The way I'd tested this previously was by muxing with the old version of TSMUXER and then correcting the stream from within BD-RB. Slow as molasses.

I had assumed that the new UHD capable version of TSMUXER would mux a 1080p source correctly -- easy peasy.

Well, I've done two attempts so far today (both using NVENCC) and TSMUXER has failed to mux them. No error message, no warning, no failure indicator. It just stops.

Honestly this whole thing is getting tiresome. I've had to write code for so many "exceptions" in the helper apps that BD-RB has more code dedicated to bypassing mistakes or implementing workarounds than it has actually doing its job.

I'm trying an encode using X265 now to see if it fares any better.
Old 16th August 2020, 14:28   #29868  |  Link
MrVideo

Quote:
Well, I've done two attempts so far today (both using NVENCC) and TSMUXER has failed to mux them. No error message, no warning, no failure indicator. It just stops.
I don't have the right card to take advantage of NVENCC. I'm waiting for the newest series to be released, for better I/P/B frame support.
Quote:
I'm trying an encode using X265 now to see if it fares any better.
I'm hoping that the HEVC in the MKV files will pass muster and be usable without recoding. But, my luck normally means... nope.
Old 16th August 2020, 21:14   #29869  |  Link
jdobbs

Quote:
I don't have the right card to take advantage of NVENCC. I'm waiting for the newest series to be released, for better I/P/B frame support.

I'm hoping that the HEVC in the MKV files will pass muster and be usable without recoding. But, my luck normally means... nope.
Yeah. It's rare that an MKV doesn't have a huge (240 frame or so) GOP.
Old 16th August 2020, 22:20   #29870  |  Link
jdobbs

Quote:

Ok. I found out that X265 was working fine on the 1080p source. So I did some checking with my HEVC browser. It turns out that the issue was caused by the removal of the "--pic-struct" command line parameter in response to a bug report by cartman0208 related to HDR10+. Without that parameter the new UHD TSMUXER got totally confused and bailed on a 1080p source.

I went back in and made changes so the parameter was removed only for HDR10+ sources. But given the other reported issues with NVENCC and HDR10+, I may have to just remove HDR10+ support completely for NVENCC until it is fixed anyway.
Old 17th August 2020, 09:34   #29871  |  Link
cartman0208

I opened an issue at the NVENCC Github page regarding dark scenes.
Should I address the --pic-struct issue also? Could be related...
Old 17th August 2020, 12:42   #29872  |  Link
jdobbs

Quote:
You might want to mention it. There seems to be a connection -- and it might help put a finger on the problem.
Old 17th August 2020, 20:15   #29873  |  Link
cartman0208

Quote:
You might want to mention it. There seems to be a connection -- and it might help put a finger on the problem.
Did that ... I also added some captures I did with my mobile phone to see the differences
Old 17th August 2020, 21:30   #29874  |  Link
jdobbs

Quote:
Did that ... I also added some captures I did with my mobile phone to see the differences
In browsing the HEVC streams from X265 and NVENCC -- there is one thing that stands out:

1. In the X265 encoded HEVC file there are two SEI prefixes added:

One SEI that contains the content light level
One SEI that contains the display mastering information

2. In the NVENCC there is only one SEI prefix that contains:

Content light level, followed by display mastering information.

3. In the original (from the authored disc) there are also two SEI prefixes present:

One SEI that contains the content light level
One SEI that contains the display mastering information

4. It also appears that both X265 and the original add the two SEIs to every IDR frame (even if they don't change) -- while NVENCC doesn't (I assume it only changes it at what it thinks are scene changes... but I'm not sure).

Since both the original and X265 streams seem to be working... I suspect that the problem is centered around the attempt to combine both types of information into a single SEI.

I'm nowhere near an expert on how these SEIs should be implemented -- but this information might be helpful to add to your bug report.

Last edited by jdobbs; 17th August 2020 at 21:49.
Old 17th August 2020, 22:22   #29875  |  Link
cartman0208

Quote:
I'm nowhere near an expert on how these SEIs should be implemented -- but this information might be helpful to add to your bug report.
Well, since I'm even farther away ... feel free to add it
Old 18th August 2020, 08:25   #29876  |  Link
MrVideo

Quote:
Yeah. It's rare that an MKV doesn't have a huge (240 frame or so) GOP.
That isn't the fault of MKV, but with the person who set the encoding options.

For one show, a quick glance showed 250 frames from one IDR to the next. Another show wasn't as bad, but still normally more than 50.

To be UHD disc compliant, what should the maximum be?
Old 18th August 2020, 13:38   #29877  |  Link
jdobbs

Quote:
That isn't the fault of MKV, but with the person who set the encoding options.

For one show, a quick glance showed 250 frames from one IDR to the next. Another show wasn't as bad, but still normally more than 50.

To be UHD disc compliant, what should the maximum be?
From the UHD Part 3, v3.1 Whitepaper:
Attached Images

Last edited by jdobbs; 18th August 2020 at 13:52.
Old 19th August 2020, 18:34   #29878  |  Link
cartman0208

jdobbs: do you have plans to change the "browse for folder" interfaces (behind the "Browse" buttons in the main interface) so they look like the one for "import file" ?

I'd love to sort the folders by age when browsing
Old 20th August 2020, 00:27   #29879  |  Link
jdobbs

Quote:
jdobbs: do you have plans to change the "browse for folder" interfaces (behind the "Browse" buttons in the main interface) so they look like the one for "import file" ?

I'd love to sort the folders by age when browsing
No plans right now. Browsing for a file and browsing for a folder involve two different system calls in Windows. But I'll look at it and see if it's possible.
Old 20th August 2020, 20:03   #29880  |  Link
jdobbs

Quote:
I was hoping this might be a quick fix, especially after I noted the differences... but it doesn't look like it is getting any attention at all.

I could probably write code to make this fix myself, but I'd hesitated since the last time I did that a fix was made a couple days later. Another reason for hesitating is that it will add time (since I'd have to scan and rewrite the entire HEVC file after the encode is done).