Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Video Encoding > MPEG-4 Encoder GUIs

Old 16th October 2015, 09:39   #4761  |  Link
hello_hello

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zathor View Post
Since a while I am working on a renewed video preview control. I would like to have your feedback before I start to merge it with the normal builds:
http://megui.org/MeGUI_preview.zip
Still missing are zones, credits and general polishing (e.g. startup window size). Nevertheless mention please everything which in your eyes does not fit / should be changed. Thanks in advance!
Fullscreen mode! If I had a first-born, he/she would be yours Zathor.

I'd like an option to configure the clicking action on the video itself. Currently it's the same as the defaults for MPC-HC, which drives me nutty (single left click for pause/resume and double left click for fullscreen). I always change the fullscreen option to middle click instead, because then it's possible to use the left mouse button to start and stop the video quickly without it jumping in and out of fullscreen mode for no apparent reason. Please let me middle-click for fullscreen. I'd give you my second-born too, if I had one.

The preview currently doesn't come out of fullscreen mode very well. If the video is smaller than the screen resolution, the preview window seems to return to it's original size, but not the video itself.

Could I ask what resizing method the preview uses when running fullscreen? Thinking about it, I've never known what resizing method the preview uses for resizing when the "fit" option is selected.
Would it be possible to include a setting to allow the user to choose the resize method?

I assume it'll eventually have all the same play/GoTo/reload buttons as the old preview? And having lines (markers?) along the navigation slider can be handy at times.

Thanks for all the hard work. Fullscreen mode! Yippeeeeeee!!

Edit: Fullscreen mode isn't playing nice with multiple monitors (yet?). If you open the preview on monitor one, then drag it over to monitor two, when you go into fullscreen mode it's back on monitor 1. There appears not to be a way to run fullscreen on a second monitor, and the preview seems to always open on the main monitor even if MeGUI itself is residing on a different one. That's probably always been the case. Move MeGUI to a second monitor and open the script creator and it'll always open on the main monitor instead of the same monitor, but maybe now the preview has fullscreen mode it might be an opportunity to make MeGUI a little more multi-monitor friendly?

Thinking about it. Eventually it might be nice to be able to set which monitor the preview uses for fullscreen mode. It'd be handy to have it run on the main monitor (for example) but when you switch to fullscreen mode it jumps to monitor two (which in my case is my TV). The right click menu probably needs a "reload script" option so you can reload scripts without leaving fullscreen mode. Or you could get carried away and make the navigation bar auto-hide when in fullscreen mode, but if you move the cursor to the bottom of the screen it pops up. The way most media players do it.

Thanks again!

Last edited by hello_hello; 16th October 2015 at 09:58.
hello_hello is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th October 2015, 10:02   #4762  |  Link
hello_hello

I just noticed. The preview version of MeGUI seems to add the following to the log file each time a script is opened in the video preview (from the video section of the GUI).

[Warning] MediaInfo
-[Warning] [16/10/15 8:00:05 PM] Unknown video codec found: AVS Video / AVS
Old 16th October 2015, 14:06   #4763  |  Link
Barough

Some new 'stable' libraries

x264 (r2638)
http://download.videolan.org/pub/x264/binaries/

FFmpeg v2.8.1
http://ffmpeg.zeranoe.com/builds/win32/static/

Last edited by Barough; 16th October 2015 at 14:12.
Barough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th October 2015, 13:04   #4764  |  Link
Zathor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barough View Post
Some new 'stable' libraries
x264 (r2638)
FFmpeg v2.8.1
Thanks, updated

Also only is a new MeGUI build:
Code:
2607                        reduced number of required AviSynth script accesses
2606 [MediaInfo]            reduced log messages if the language information is emtpy
2607 reduced the number of opened AVS instances in some use cases by > 50%. This should hopefully have an influence on stability & speed - but both likely not noticeable.
Zathor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th October 2015, 13:33   #4765  |  Link
Zathor

Quote:
Originally Posted by LouieChuckyMerry View Post
1) I very much like that the present preview window opens automatically to the proper size, without either left-to-right or up-and-down sliders, so I would lobby for keeping this feature in the new preview control, if possible, in addition to the new ability to maximize the window size to fullscreen.
This feature will return

Quote:
2) I would recommend returning the 20 vertical lines to the top and bottom of the slider bar (very helpful, those) and, if possible, making the lines at "0", "10", and "20" four-times longer and the lines at "5" and "15" two-times longer than the lines at "1", "2", "3", "4", "6", "7", "8", "9", "11", "12", "13", "14", "16", "17", "18", and "19", so it's quicker to find the one-quarter, halfway, and three-quarter points.
The "lines" can only be enabled or disabled and when enabled I cannot configure it. Therefore I have disabled them as they in my eyes have no positive impact.
If I have time (unlikely) I can try to create my own control.

Quote:
3) I find the "Go to frame" button indispensable when utilizing Trim, so I think that's a must have feature.
This will return (not as a button - in the right click menu)

Quote:
4) I would definitely keep the move forward-backward 1 frame (>, <) and move forward-backward 25 frames (>>, <<) buttons, and would personally find a move forward-backward 1000 frames (perhaps >>>, <<<) very useful.
This will return - but also not as buttons. You can already click on the track bar and use the left/right arrow keys to move one frame. When you click at one side of the slider it will move ~one second. For bigger/other values you have to use the right click menu (not available yet).

Quote:
Originally Posted by hello_hello View Post
Fullscreen mode! If I had a first-born, he/she would be yours Zathor.

Quote:
I'd like an option to configure the clicking action on the video itself. Currently it's the same as the defaults for MPC-HC, which drives me nutty (single left click for pause/resume and double left click for fullscreen). I always change the fullscreen option to middle click instead, because then it's possible to use the left mouse button to start and stop the video quickly without it jumping in and out of fullscreen mode for no apparent reason. Please let me middle-click for fullscreen. I'd give you my second-born too, if I had one.
When you only click once the video will stop/play. If you make a double click it will stop/play first (as the one click event is triggered) and then the fullscreen mode is toggled (including once again a stop/play action). Also you can use the right click menu for these actions.
I may add other options as well (middle-click for fullscreen, space for play/stop) in an addition to the current ones but I will not add an option to configure it. We are speaking here not about a professional player and I want to have it "keep it simple".

Quote:
The preview currently doesn't come out of fullscreen mode very well. If the video is smaller than the screen resolution, the preview window seems to return to it's original size, but not the video itself.
Yes, needs to be adjusted

Quote:
Could I ask what resizing method the preview uses when running fullscreen? Thinking about it, I've never known what resizing method the preview uses for resizing when the "fit" option is selected.
Would it be possible to include a setting to allow the user to choose the resize method?
The internal player resizing uses:
System.Drawing.Drawing2D.InterpolationMode.Bilinear
Other modes are described here:
LINK
I currently do not want to expose in the end to the user the possibility to switch this. If you want to try the other modes I can implement it for now for your tests so that "the best" mode can be selected.

Quote:
I assume it'll eventually have all the same play/GoTo/reload buttons as the old preview? And having lines (markers?) along the navigation slider can be handy at times.
Not as buttons as I want to have as much space as possible for the video. For the lines/markes see above.

Quote:
Edit: Fullscreen mode isn't playing nice with multiple monitors (yet?). If you open the preview on monitor one, then drag it over to monitor two, when you go into fullscreen mode it's back on monitor 1. There appears not to be a way to run fullscreen on a second monitor, and the preview seems to always open on the main monitor even if MeGUI itself is residing on a different one. That's probably always been the case. Move MeGUI to a second monitor and open the script creator and it'll always open on the main monitor instead of the same monitor, but maybe now the preview has fullscreen mode it might be an opportunity to make MeGUI a little more multi-monitor friendly?
Problem is that I do not have such a setup so it is very hard to test / code for that.

Quote:
Thinking about it. Eventually it might be nice to be able to set which monitor the preview uses for fullscreen mode. It'd be handy to have it run on the main monitor (for example) but when you switch to fullscreen mode it jumps to monitor two (which in my case is my TV). The right click menu probably needs a "reload script" option so you can reload scripts without leaving fullscreen mode.
Mhm, I had planned to remove that button. Do you think it is really necessary? Script modifications in the AVS Script Cretot are detected. So this is only needed when doing modifications outside of MeGUI.

Quote:
Or you could get carried away and make the navigation bar auto-hide when in fullscreen mode, but if you move the cursor to the bottom of the screen it pops up. The way most media players do it.
This sounds easier as it is - I may try it but only after the basic functions are included. I do not try to compete with media players

Quote:
The preview version of MeGUI seems to add the following to the log file each time a script is opened in the video preview (from the video section of the GUI).
[Warning] MediaInfo
-[Warning] [16/10/15 8:00:05 PM] Unknown video codec found: AVS Video / AVS
This is a debug build where some debug informations are added. Just ignore this message as it does not harm anything.

@hello_hello & LouieChuckyMerry: Thank you very much for your valuable feedback! I do not know when the next build will be available but I am already looking forward to have your feedback again.

Last edited by Zathor; 17th October 2015 at 13:35.
Old 17th October 2015, 14:29   #4766  |  Link
Xebika

MKVToolNix v8.5.0 is released
Xebika is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th October 2015, 15:34   #4767  |  Link
Zathor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xebika View Post
MKVToolNix v8.5.0 is released
Thx, updated

Code:
2609                        removed the DPI aware flag (requires Windows Vista+)
                            The application will now look blurry when not using 100% DPI but all controls are visible
2608 [QAAC]                 fixed a crash when the settings have to be recreated (regression of 2604)
Old 18th October 2015, 05:23   #4768  |  Link
LouieChuckyMerry

I'm glad that the auto-size preview window feature will return----and I'm embarrassed to admit that I didn't notice the right-click options . Anyway, after checking them out, and considering your plans to add to them, I think this will be an extremely useable setup with a very short learning curve, typed the twitching mouse junkie, especially with my new knowledge that the left-right arrows move the video a single frame (I know, I know, I'm a bit slow) and a reminder that clicking on the line to the left or right of the slider moves it about one second (which is typically, for me, right around 25 frames). Would you pretty please consider adding "Show-Hide Vertical Ticks" or "Enable-Disable Track Bar Markers" or some such to the new right-click menu so as to aid the spacially challenged?
LouieChuckyMerry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th October 2015, 07:58   #4769  |  Link
kalehrl

Could you add buttons to add cut points to cuts file in the preview window, please?
Currently, you have to navigate to cut points using the preview window and manually add frames in AVS cutter.
kalehrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th October 2015, 09:39   #4770  |  Link
hello_hello

Quote:
The "lines" can only be enabled or disabled and when enabled I cannot configure it. Therefore I have disabled them as they in my eyes have no positive impact.
If I have time (unlikely) I can try to create my own control.
I don't mind them, especially if they don't cause the navigation bar to take up extra space. I do use them as a visual cue now and then. I'd miss the line in the middle, even if not the others.

Quote:
This will return (not as a button - in the right click menu)
If a change requires more clicking from the user than it previously did, maybe it's not a good change, especially if you've got to look through a menu when you didn't before. I use the GoTo button a lot. More than a lot. I like the fact it's a stationary target and only requires one click to open the window.

Quote:
This will return - but also not as buttons. You can already click on the track bar and use the left/right arrow keys to move one frame. When you click at one side of the slider it will move ~one second. For bigger/other values you have to use the right click menu (not available yet).
I don't use keyboard shortcuts very much myself. By the time I've moved my hand off the mouse to the keyboard and made sure I'm selecting the right key in dim light I could probably clicked my way through a couple more tasks much of the time. I've never used the arrows to navigate before, so I'd forgotten you can.

Quote:
When you only click once the video will stop/play. If you make a double click it will stop/play first (as the one click event is triggered) and then the fullscreen mode is toggled (including once again a stop/play action). Also you can use the right click menu for these actions.
I may add other options as well (middle-click for fullscreen, space for play/stop) in an addition to the current ones but I will not add an option to configure it. We are speaking here not about a professional player and I want to have it "keep it simple".
Quite often, I might want to move the video forward by a few frames. That requires two left clicks in quick succession to resume/pause the video, which as you've described above, also takes it in or out of fullscreen mode. That's why I prefer left click for pause/resume and middle for fullscreen. With left clicks doing both it's not practical to start and stop the video quickly.
I'd prefer to have no left mouse fullscreen option and use the right click menu for fullscreen instead, but middle click is easier. Left double click for fullscreen must be (for video players at least) a default setting carried over from 1989 when most mice didn't have middle click buttons.

Quote:
The internal player resizing uses:
System.Drawing.Drawing2D.InterpolationMode.Bilinear
Other modes are described here:
LINK
I currently do not want to expose in the end to the user the possibility to switch this. If you want to try the other modes I can implement it for now for your tests so that "the best" mode can be selected.
Wow..... Bilinear or Bicubic. At least there's a choice.

I'd be voting for Bicubic. I assume it'd look sharper, and given "fullscreen mode" would often be used for upscaling the preview it'd be nice to have something closer to the upscaling used in TVs/media players, which tends to be a sharper than Bilinear.
When I'm comparing a 1080p source to a downscaled 720p script running fullscreen on my TV in MPC-HC, I can easily see the difference between MPC-HC's Bilinear and Bicubic resizing. 99% of the time the 720p version will look a little blurred compared to the 1080p source when Bilinear resizing is used, but 85% of the time when I switch to Bicubic it's very hard to tell them apart.

Quote:
Not as buttons as I want to have as much space as possible for the video. For the lines/markes see above.
I'd have thought with fullscreen mode there'd be less need for space conservation.Would it be possible to have a shortcut to enable/disable the navigation bar completely? I like the navigation bar buttons.
Detachable navigation bar maybe? Just a dream....

Quote:
Problem is that I do not have such a setup so it is very hard to test / code for that.
For me, not being able to run fullscreen on a non-primary monitor would be a dealbreaker, and I'd be back to previewing scripts in fullscreen mode with MPC-HC. I'm no doubt one of the last CRT monitor hold-outs (along with running XP), but even if I was using an LCD monitor, my secondary monitor is my TV and in the end, that's what I want to use for final previewing of scripts. I don't really care too much if MeGUI itself makes me drag it's GUI around to use it on a secondary monitor, but the preview.....

Quote:
Mhm, I had planned to remove that button. Do you think it is really necessary? Script modifications in the AVS Script Cretot are detected. So this is only needed when doing modifications outside of MeGUI.
I didn't notice that. So if I change something in the script creator (I'm not using the preview version of MeGUI at the moment so I can't check) the preview automatically updates?
But what about when I manually change the script under the Script tab? Is that automatically updated in the preview? Or can we continue using the preview button in the script creator as before?
Or......
I just thought I'd mention MPC-HC uses the shortcut Ctrl+E to re-load the current video, and while I'd prefer a button to click on, it doesn't have one. If MeGUI used the same "reload" keyboard shortcut..... that's probably a request fairly specific to me, but if you don't ask.....

Quote:
This sounds easier as it is - I may try it but only after the basic functions are included. I do not try to compete with media players
Competition is a good thing
Actually, I don't think of it as competing, but more along the lines of trying to make the need for using a media player for previewing redundant.

Anyway thanks for the hard, and in this case, unexpected work.

Last edited by hello_hello; 18th October 2015 at 09:52.
Old 18th October 2015, 09:47   #4771  |  Link
hello_hello

Quote:
2607 reduced the number of opened AVS instances in some use cases by > 50%. This should hopefully have an influence on stability & speed - but both likely not noticeable.
I'd describe it as more as "what a difference, I can't believe how much faster it is" noticeable.

My second favourite MeGUI annoyance (next to the ffms2/Script Creator problem), was the amount of time it takes to add scripts to the job queue when they contain slow filtering such as QTGMC. After updating MeGUI and loading one into the video section I re-checked the script, thinking I'd forgotten to uncomment QTGMC and LSFMod.
No more banging my head on the desk waiting for a script to load, then no more banging it on the desk again while waiting for MeGUI to add it to the job queue.

Thanks!

Last edited by hello_hello; 18th October 2015 at 09:54.
Old 18th October 2015, 17:33   #4772  |  Link
Zathor

Quote:
I'd describe it as more as "what a difference, I can't believe how much faster it is" noticeable
I would not have expected that but good to know
Old 19th October 2015, 04:57   #4773  |  Link
LouieChuckyMerry

I'd concur that scripts load and queue noticeably faster than before, Zathor . As for the Buttons vs Right-Click Menu question, if I had my druthers then I'd prefer buttons, partly because I'm used to them but mostly because I find them much more useable than a right-click menu. That typed, I also realize that MeGUI is yours to do with as you please and am simply grateful for it's existence . Perhaps, if it's not too difficult (since the old preview coding is already written), you could offer somewhere (maybe in the the Options/Settings) the ability to choose "Classic Preview Pane" or "Modern Preview Pane", or something like that? If that's a bit much then I understand, and I'm still capable of learning new tricks .
LouieChuckyMerry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st October 2015, 13:30   #4774  |  Link
Xebika

MKVToolNix v8.5.1 is released
Xebika is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd October 2015, 14:14   #4775  |  Link
hello_hello

I've mentioned this before, but given MeGUI's preview is currently being upgraded......

When I load an Avisynth script in MPC-HC for previewing I can change the de-interlacing or IVTC etc.... anything that changes the frame count but not the duration.... and when I re-load the script in the player it resumes from the previous point it time. MeGUI's preview resumes from the previous frame number, so when (for example) you switch from Yadif(mode=1) to Yadif(), if the video was being previewed at the 10 minute mark it'll jump to the 20 minute mark instead. I don't know if it's just me, but I find it rather frustrating. If I'm previewing a frame at a certain point in time before making a change, 99.99999% of the time that's where I'd like to be previewing after.

When adding de-interlacing via the script creator GUI, would it be possible to prevent changes to the field order drop down box re-setting the de-interlacing type? Currently it'll reset to Yadif if de-interlacing is selected or it resets to IVTC when "film" is selected. That tends to be a little annoying at times. The "source is amine" setting does the same thing.

I think I've also mentioned this before, but when you select M-in-5 Decimation, MeGUI defaults to "M" (cycleR) being zero. It's not a valid value, as the minimum is CycleR=1. Until the script creator can be used to also set a cycle number, the assumption is cycle=5 because that's the TDecimate default, which means being able to set a value for "M" greater than 4 in the GUI doesn't make much sense.

Cheers.
Old 23rd October 2015, 21:39   #4776  |  Link
killerpot

we want automatic encoding for subtitle like ripbot264

can you add and option to open 30 sub .sup for example in 1 click if i want like in ripbot264 so we can open 30 .sup and he will convert automaticly this 30 file in .idx sub and extract forced sub auto to anoter file idx sub can you do that ? like ripbot264

we can only open 1 sub at time in bdsuptosub is too long thx man
killerpot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th October 2015, 01:21   #4777  |  Link
hello_hello

While I'm not sure a translated the previous post to English correctly, it did make me wonder about encoding forced subtitles. Is there any way to extract/encode only the forced DVD/Bluray subtitles using MeGUI?
Old 24th October 2015, 08:34   #4778  |  Link
LigH
German doom9/Gleitz SuMo

I remember that you can have only forced subtitles from DVD Video extracted (or the IDX contain a flag to only have forced subs in a stream displayed?) by VSRip, it's just a checkbox before ripping. Okay, that doesn't cover MeGUI specifically...

New German Gleitz board
MediaFire: x264 | x265 | VPx | AOM | Xvid
LigH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 24th October 2015, 16:34   #4779  |  Link
hello_hello

I've not paid too much attention to the various subtitle tools as I don't work with them much, so I don't know what each can do. If I need to encode forced subtitles I've been extracting them with MeGUI, which uses vobsub, then if need be I separate out the forced subtitles with SubtitleEdit while converting them to SRT (I think.... it's actually been quite a while since I've done it).

I had a look in AutoGK's tools folder (because it has an option to encode only forced subtitles) and there's two files with called vsrip.dll and vstrip_ifo.exe, so I guess that's what it used. Maybe MeGUI should too because the ability to encode only forced subtitles seems like a missing feature.
Old 26th October 2015, 21:51   #4780  |  Link
Zathor

Quote:
I think I've also mentioned this before, but when you select M-in-5 Decimation, MeGUI defaults to "M" (cycleR) being zero. It's not a valid value, as the minimum is CycleR=1. Until the script creator can be used to also set a cycle number, the assumption is cycle=5 because that's the TDecimate default, which means being able to set a value for "M" greater than 4 in the GUI doesn't make much sense.
Thanks, changed in 2611