Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Announcements and Chat > General Discussion

Old 20th June 2018, 08:17   #1  |  Link
LigH
German doom9/Gleitz SuMo

Identify a melody

I would like to know the title of a quite old crime TV series (or just movie?) with a probably famous soundtrack theme, in the style of good old jazz (like during 1950's~70's), with raspy brass winds, quite similar to "Dragnet" or maybe even "Space Patrol" (Raumpatrouille, a.k.a. Orion).

MIDI file, generated by Musipedia (the original speed is close to 85 BPM); alternatively, listen to their JavaScript Piano pasting this Lilypad note sequence:
Code:
a8 c'8 c'8 c'8 c'8 d'4 d'8 e'4 e'4 r2 a8 c'8 c'8 c'8 c'8 d'4 d'8 a4 r2 r4

New German Gleitz board
MediaFire: x264 | x265 | VPx | AOM | Xvid

Last edited by LigH; 20th June 2018 at 14:06.
LigH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th June 2018, 13:52   #2  |  Link
johnmeyer

I grew up in the 50s and 60s and am generally pretty good at "Name That Tune," which was a late 1950s game show (briefly brought back fifteen years ago). In that game, it was often tough to guess the song based on just a few notes, especially without having the orchestration and harmony. That is certainly true with this one.

While not very close to the melody you played, one of the most famous crime TV themes was the "Peter Gunn" theme by Henry Mancini, a composer who wrote a huge number of movie and TV themes, including "Breakfast At Tiffanys" and the "The Pink Panther." Even if it isn't what you are looking for, it is a great piece of music, and it most definitely has the 1950s jazz sensibility, and also some amazing trombone "raspy brass" sections, just like you described. Finally, it also has some great sax riffs.

Here it is:

Peter Gunn
johnmeyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th June 2018, 14:02   #3  |  Link
LigH
German doom9/Gleitz SuMo

No, sorry ... "Peter Gunn" is a nice theme, but not the answer to my request.

New German Gleitz board
Old 20th June 2018, 14:25   #4  |  Link
StainlessS
HeartlessS Usurer

Think there are several Android apps that actually work for Humming a tune, [EDIT: identify you humming the tune]

https://www.guidingtech.com/8572/ide...ng-3-web-apps/

https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...droid&hl=en_GB

more
https://play.google.com/store/search...=apps&authuser

EDIT:
https://soundhound.com/soundhoundhel...943078/2436059
I got about 27GB of Android APK's, dont know which work, but try above SoundHound.

EDIT:
https://www.quora.com/What-apps-can-...rt-of-the-song

"Some infinities are bigger than other infinities", but how many of them are infinitely bigger ???

Last edited by StainlessS; 20th June 2018 at 14:53.
StainlessS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th June 2018, 15:28   #5  |  Link
LigH
German doom9/Gleitz SuMo

But I don't own any "smart phone". And furthermore, I doubt they know such old material...

New German Gleitz board
Old 20th June 2018, 23:03   #6  |  Link
StainlessS
HeartlessS Usurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by LigH View Post
But I don't own any "smart phone". And furthermore, I doubt they know such old material...
Well, maybe you know someobody, who's heard of somebody, that might know somebody who's got one.

If the TV program was popular, then I'm guessin that they went out of their way to make sure that they have it in the DBase.
Hawawi 5-O, Draget, and such, guessin that they have them ALL (even pre-TV ie saturday matinee B&W).

EDIT: By the way, my 'real' phone is a non smart, I only use smarts for free WiFi access in pubs, or via my 4G MiFi mobile broadband device.
[EDIT: not even a sim the smarts]
My old Nokia phone had a 21 day StandBy (not quite as long talktime), and you never run out of battery like you do when
cruisin' the web.

EDIT:
Smarts for everything (esp FaceBook & Twitter) is for civilians.
[Although, you tend to need big pockets with multiple devices(literally), but may not need to carry a charger/PowerBank for the phone,
perhaps only if you value your WiFi access, pub near me has USB power on power points, so you may only need a short USB lead to micro USB lead for charging smarts]

"Some infinities are bigger than other infinities", but how many of them are infinitely bigger ???

Last edited by StainlessS; 21st June 2018 at 00:42.
Old 21st June 2018, 01:20   #7  |  Link
johnmeyer

Quote:
Originally Posted by LigH View Post
Have you actually tried any of StainlessS' suggestions? You seem to want to say "no" to anyone who tries to help. I don't own a smart phone either, but I borrow one when I need to use an app. I suggest you do the same.

It sounds like you have never actually tried any of the music recognition services. In my experience, they can identify just about anything, and this would certainly include any music from the 1940s, 1950s, and 1960s. I've almost never been able to stump them. If you were trying to identify some obscure 78 rpm recording from the 1920s, like "Irving Aaronson and his Commanders - Hard-to-Get Gertie," then you might have a problem (I collect old 78 recordings).

Finally, what is the source of your MIDI file? Did you create it and, if so, how accurately do you think you remembered the tune?
Old 21st June 2018, 06:02   #8  |  Link
LigH
German doom9/Gleitz SuMo

I may meet someone to ask for a phone over the weekend.

I already tried some recognition services for the PC. Some ceased to exist, despite still offering a client download. If they worked at all, they found either nothing or far-fetched matches.

As I wrote in the starting post, the source of the MIDI file is the Musipedia JavaScript piano. When you search for the Lilypad string, it generates this file on top of the search results page.

The tune goes in my head like I heard it yesterday. But it's hard to get it out of my brain in the same quality...

New German Gleitz board
Old 21st June 2018, 10:54   #9  |  Link
LigH
German doom9/Gleitz SuMo

I edited it a bit further. Unfortunately, the sequencer I used does only import from, but not export to MIDI, what I realized not before I tried to export ... so, a new extended version as Ogg Vorbis.

If you have a smart phone with humming app, you could try to let it listen to this.

New German Gleitz board
Old 21st June 2018, 13:08   #10  |  Link
StainlessS
HeartlessS Usurer

just installed SoundHound for Android, never used it for a long time, played your new ogg to it,

Result, "There were no close matches".

(If I remember correctly, it used to require at least about 30 seconds of sample to make a good guess).

EDIT: Did update of Soundhound to current version, 3 hits

Code:
Inside your heaven - Carrie Underwood

FireFlies - Owl city

Ain't no mountain high enopugh - Tammi Terrel, Marvin Gaye
None of above look good candidates.

EDIT: It might well be that the SoundHound app identifies if you are humming the tune, or if playing actual audio,
if it identifies as audio (rather than humming') then might well be looking for exact match with the midi thing, and fail.
Trying with actual 'humming' therefore might work better.

Last edited by StainlessS; 22nd June 2018 at 00:14.
Old 22nd June 2018, 13:40   #11  |  Link
Phanton_13

Are you sure that you remind it correctly, In My experience we don't remind the things that well how we think. Also other information about the music series always help even if you don't think so. On example of this is that some time ago I was searching for a series whithout luck, but someone pointed to me that my description reminded him of two diferent series mixed and he was in the rigth, due to the distant memory I was mixing both. Basically I think that if you have a distant or vague memory of the music/series as it looks, it's possible that you are filing the voids with other memories of similar type.

Your music reminds me strongly 2 series but I'm sure that no on is because they dosn't fulfill all conditions and they are are: "The Law & Harry MacGraw" and "Perry Mason"
Phanton_13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd June 2018, 16:48   #12  |  Link
johnmeyer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phanton_13 View Post
Are you sure that you remind it correctly, In My experience we don't remind the things that well how we think.
I agree. The MIDI file did not sound like a normal melody because it had an additional repeat of one note that didn't fit the measure. So, from the first time I heard it, I kept trying to recompose it into something that was actual music.

I then came up with the "Peter Gunn" suggestion because while it didn't match the MIDI, it did match the rest of the description of jazzy 50s-60s style, with lots of brass. Also, it is an amazingly difficult piece of music to forget: it will stay in your head for a long time.

I suggest going through lists of TV themes and see if you can find it. Here is one such list, specifically of 50s and 60s adventure and crime shows:

https://amazon.com/Danger-Mavericks-.../dp/B07628KRX5

[edit]Skip down to "The Saint," below, which I added when I edited this post. I think it is the closest of all the things I'm suggesting.[/end edit]

From that list, here is one I never heard before, but it fits your description of the orchestration, and has a little bit of the feel of the melody you plunked out. It is from a TV show I don't remember, "Johnny Staccato:"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=laHRBNLcovw

Also from that list, I also find the "Bonanza" theme song:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mjdRgBAY278

It has some of the repeated notes of your sample, and structurally resembles it, albeit vaguely.

"Danger Man" is another possibility:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4u6jYfJgj-o

I'll let you continue the research on that CD listing I provided above. I'll bet you find your song in that list of 100. It is actually fun to listen to some of them: there is some great music in there.

If you don't find it there, go back to Amazon's CD listings and look for other CDs that are compilations of TV show and/or movie themes.

P.S. Another one at that list which fits your description and which you might remember because it was "aped" by the Zucker brothers for their "Police Squad" series is the "M Squad" theme:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f65xzJN9O18

I love watching the opening credits, showing my home town of Chicago in the background, as I remember it.

[edit]I couldn't stop reliving the past. How about Route 66:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vcZ1k4d02KA&t=0m44s

or "The Saint"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EP9pKQ5N6Qg

or one of my favorites as a kid, "77 Sunset Strip"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WrrcSieqMH8

Last edited by johnmeyer; 22nd June 2018 at 17:04. Reason: added additional links
Old 22nd June 2018, 23:21   #13  |  Link
Emulgator
Big Bit Savings Now !

Walter Kubiczek "Das unsichtbare Visier".

Emphasis is all ! Upbeat, accentuation on the second note.
Liked it just for the music back then
The story I will have to read again.
(was told off by from telly by my parents ;-)

The real Altmarker will remember ;-)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DhX4Y5nylHs

Last edited by Emulgator; 22nd June 2018 at 23:32.
Emulgator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd June 2018, 01:54   #14  |  Link
johnmeyer

OK, Emulgator gets the prize: that has got to be it. Well done! Also, having now heard the real thing, the OP did a near-perfect job remembering the melody. Another "well done" for that.

I stupidly did not look at the OP's location and was providing mostly USA TV shows and movies.
Old 23rd June 2018, 10:01   #15  |  Link
LigH
German doom9/Gleitz SuMo

@ Emulgator: BINGO!

Better audible version or another, theme only

New German Gleitz board

Last edited by LigH; 23rd June 2018 at 11:06.