Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > General > Audio encoding
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 13th September 2012, 23:04   #11821  |  Link
ramicio
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by madshi View Post
Sorry, but 99% of the people seem to be happy with the progress bar.
You took a poll on this? This isn't the days of 640x480 CRTs. People are running higher resolutions than full HD now, so I doubt too many people user tiny 80-column terminals.
Old 15th September 2012, 03:11   #11822  |  Link
Foofaraw

If one has PAL DVD audio of a US TV show (ie, originally NTSC) the speech sounds sped up - can eac3to re-pitch the sound so it sounds like the original, but where the total duration hasn't changed?

And if yes, what are the switches ?

Using -slowdown makes the resulting file longer in duration.

Last edited by Foofaraw; 15th September 2012 at 03:38.
Old 15th September 2012, 09:39   #11823  |  Link
sneaker_ger

Eac3to does not offer pitch change without duration change.
You could either speedup both audio and video or use a different program to do the change, like e.g. SoX.
Old 15th September 2012, 14:10   #11824  |  Link
Foofaraw

Quote:
Originally Posted by sneaker_ger View Post
Eac3to does not offer pitch change without duration change.
You could either speedup both audio and video or use a different program to do the change, like e.g. SoX.
Yeah I don't like to mess with the video. So I'll try looking at Sox - thanks for the suggestion sneaker_ger
Old 18th September 2012, 09:22   #11825  |  Link
Joniii

Quote:
Originally Posted by nibus View Post
There's a number of topics about LOTR EE and merging the discs. Do a forum or google search on it.

Basically you have to cut off the last few seconds of the end of part 1, and about 1 second from the beginning of part 2. You can do this in mkvmerge.

This is because the audio stream ends before the video stream.
Thanks, found them. There was someone who figured the exact time to cut at the end of each disc one but it doesn't seem to be that accurate as there is still 107ms gap on audio. Is there any free program that can open m2ts and displays a frame numbers and timestamp so I can find the exact frame where to cut?

Dunno, maybe it would be a good option on eac3to if it could cut the video if audio ends before video?

Windows 10 Pro 2004 with Media Center, 2 x DVB-C with cable cards
MPC-HC (madVR, LAV Filters, XySubFilter)
Sony Bravia 85X950H/85XH95
Yamaha RX-V685
Yamaha Piano Black NS-777/555/C444/YST-SW315
Old 19th September 2012, 19:18   #11826  |  Link
ramicio
Banned

Why can't you just open this up so people can fix all of these stupid little issues and maybe make it cross-platform?
Old 20th September 2012, 06:55   #11827  |  Link
LigH
German doom9/Gleitz SuMo

Cross-platform? How? It mainly uses software which is only available for Windows, if it doesn't use l(ib)av(codec|format) as fallbacks.

New German Gleitz board
MediaFire: x264 | x265 | VPx | AOM | Xvid
Old 20th September 2012, 13:15   #11828  |  Link
ramicio
Banned

libav is cross-platform. It mainly uses libav, and Windows stuff secondary. For most of the Windows-based stuff, there are better tools out there, anyway. Once DTS-HD gets built into libav, there is no reason eac3to couldn't be cross-platform. AC-3 decoding is handled just fine with libav. No need for Nero there. Surely there are other AAC encoders, no need for Nero again. You can't even have anything >7 installed, so yeah, really good there. I don't know why anyone would waste their time encoding lossy DTS in this day and age, so no need for SurCode. Go with 640 kbps AC-3. And for MKV muxing, well mkvtoolnix is cross-platform already, so no need for this stupid Haali muxer. This tool needs a major update, or for the source to be opened. It should not be relying on commercial software just to perform basic functions. The functionalities can be free, but someone needs to stop making tiny incremental updates of MadVR and just be done with it already. It's going to be 5-10 years before I see 1.0 being released, and by then there will already be another format for movies out there.
Old 20th September 2012, 14:57   #11829  |  Link
the_weirdo
Yes, I'm weird.

Personally, I don't care if eac3to will be cross-platform or not (even I'm using multi-OS now, my main OS is still Windows anyway). But I agree with ramicio, this tool needs a major update. IMHO, if madshi is not going to maintain eac3to anytime soon, he should open its source so that others may contribute, fix and update it. He doesn't intend to commercialize it, after all. He said that he would resume its development once madVR 1.0 is released. But now when he's added micro version number to madVR with every increment took months to be done, then who know when will he reach his goal?

However, this is just my opinion. ea3to is a madshi's software, so he have full rights to do anything with it. I'll respect his decision on this problem regardless.
Old 20th September 2012, 15:39   #11830  |  Link
mbcd

Why dont people start to program an opensource variant themselves?

Madshi did eac3to in some years, but he had very hard work to get all information. Today its mostly all known.
Mostly there are programs out there that did a partial job that eac3to did, so maybee there is sourcecode available.

If a small group would take such a project, it should not take more than some months to get a better version of it.
And even if it takes more time ... there is something opensource ...
Old 22nd September 2012, 08:23   #11831  |  Link
Overdrive80
Anime addict

In my opinion if he would want to do his software as commercial, should not share his code. If this not the case, maybe would create a group of developers. Secure that on this forum everyone join it.
Old 23rd September 2012, 22:25   #11832  |  Link
xkodi

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbcd View Post
Today its mostly all known.
Mostly there are programs out there that did a partial job that eac3to did, so maybee there is sourcecode available.

If a small group would take such a project, it should not take more than some months to get a better version of it.
And even if it takes more time ... there is something opensource ...
i agree with you at least as far as DTS-HD decoding is concerned, which i will give for example, you can read my post here:

http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?p=1581365#post1581365

that post in short: before nothing about the DTS-HD headers was known, now there is PDF with the full specification. also, as it's clear from that post "eac3to" can't decode properly some DTS-HD streams, which is now very easy to be fixed with the idea i shared in that same post. in fact i coded simple test program of that idea as "proof-of-concept". last, but not least how to access directly Arcsoft decoder is now available as open-source thanks to "LAV Audio decoder" project. so, those 3 things: full specification of DTS-HD headers, the idea to patch the DTS-HD headers to "trick" Arcsoft decoder to decode properly even the streams it can't and direct access to Arcsoft decoder as how's done in "LAV Audio decoder" gives much better "eac3to" at least for DTS-HD streams and that can be coded in hours actually - as i've just mentioned i made very simple "proof-of-concept" for first two ideas and then after i patched the stream use "eac3to" to decode it. however, it seems there are no just people with enough free time and enthusiastic about such project to work on it.
Old 24th September 2012, 02:29   #11833  |  Link
73ChargerFan

eac3to is much more than a dts-hd to something else transcoder.
Old 29th September 2012, 12:16   #11834  |  Link
Anakunda

Hello,

would eac3to be able to use as input an specific audio track of MKV container directly?
Such that I have Matroska file with one video and 2 audio tracks, and I want to convert the 2nd audio track to <something else> without necessity of extracting it via mkvextract first...
Old 29th September 2012, 15:28   #11835  |  Link
73ChargerFan

Yep, just tried it, converted ac3 to aac with nero encoder. Worked great. But it won't replace the track within mkv, that will still require MkvToolNix.
Old 29th September 2012, 15:34   #11836  |  Link
Anakunda

Quote:
Originally Posted by 73ChargerFan View Post
Yep, just tried it, converted ac3 to aac with nero encoder. Worked great. But it won't replace the track within mkv, that will still require MkvToolNix.
That's good news. But how exactly do I tell eac3to to take the 2nd (non-default) audio track...I assume eac3to always picks the 1rst track..
Old 29th September 2012, 16:31   #11837  |  Link
73ChargerFan

Use the following command to list the tracks:
> eac3to mystuff.mkv

Then I'll wager track 1 is video, track 2 is audio 1, track 3 is audio 2
so use the following command to convert to aac whatever:
>eac3to mystuff.mkv 3: mystuff.aac

or to convert to ac3:
>eac3to mystuff.mkv 3: mystuff.ac3
Old 29th September 2012, 16:39   #11838  |  Link
Anakunda

Quote:
Originally Posted by 73ChargerFan View Post
>eac3to mystuff.mkv 3: mystuff.aac
Ah so I thougt the numbering only can be used for direct demuxing.
Old 29th September 2012, 16:47   #11839  |  Link
73ChargerFan

Hey, I didn't know about direct demuxing of mkv until you asked and I tried it.
Old 29th September 2012, 17:40   #11840  |  Link
Incast

Firstly, thanks to all involved with this great tool.

Embarrassing question but I'm going to ask it anyway. When eac3to reports an uncorrectable audio delay after demuxing a TS, should I be inputting that value into MKVmerge as the delay for the audio track or the inverse?

E.g.
"A remaining delay of +14ms could not be fixed"

What should my entry into mkvmerge for the delay entry on the audio track be: +14ms or -14ms?
Closed Thread

Tags
eac3to