Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > (HD) DVD, Blu-ray & (S)VCD > One click suites for DVD backup and DVD creation

Old 3rd October 2020, 11:30   #3341  |  Link
MrC
AVStoDVD Dev

Quote:
Originally Posted by manolito View Post
Are you sure you used the 32-bit version of MPC-HC? Because I get this error only when using MPC-HC 64.
Yes, both with 32bit and 64bit

Quote:
And I also managed to find the reason why my old VDub version could not decompress the audio when using it for the preview.
This old version cannot handle 32-bit float audio...
At some point in the A2D develoment you added the line
global OPT_AllowFloatAudio = True
at the beginning of A2DSource.avsi. This command is not present in the AVS script when a source filter like FFMpegSource or DirectShowSource is explicitly specified under preferences, so the old VDub will work. Only if A2DSource is used VDub will choke.
My memory is fading, but I found this 2015 thread about the topic.

Quote:
FWIW I found another method at StackOverflow for determining the number of audio channels. It uses FFProbe, this is the call:

It looks much clearer than the MediaInfo output for several 8-ch formats. No idea if it is as reliable as the AVSMeter method.

The StackOverflow page is here:
https://stackoverflow.com/questions/...ffmpeg-command
Thanks, that could be a good alternative basically for all clip properties. Now I'm trying to improve parsing of MediaInfo "verbose" output. I would come out with a quick fix in the next days.

Bye

AVStoDVD Homepage
AVStoDVD @ Doom9 Forum
MrC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd October 2020, 11:59   #3342  |  Link
MrC
AVStoDVD Dev

About the preview issue with Win10, another alternative could be to use Graph Studio Next to open and run the AviSynth script within a clear directshow environment (unfortunately GraphStudio 0.3.2.0 does not support the run command thru CLI).

Bye

AVStoDVD Homepage
AVStoDVD @ Doom9 Forum
Old 3rd October 2020, 18:35   #3343  |  Link
manolito

The more I dig into these 8-ch audio formats, the more confusing it gets. I am sure glad that I only have a stereo sound system...

I have tested these formats:
DD+ (aka E-AC3) 7.1
DTS-HD MA 7.1
Dolby ATMOS/TrueHD/EAC3

For the DD+ 7.1 format MediaInfo as well as LAV Audio only see 6 channels. This audio format is handled correctly by A2D.

The DTS-HD MA 7.1 format also contains a 6-ch audio stream, and MediaInfo reports it as 8 / 6 channels which causes A2D to issue invalid downmix commands like "Dmix8 / 66()". LAV Audio sees it as 8-ch, so the MediaInfo parsing must be corrected to 8.

For Dolby ATMOS MediaInfo sees 3 audio streams. The first one is ATMOS which right now cannot be decoded by any free audio decoder. So A2D sees it as having 0 channels which of course results in a crash in DownMix.avsi. LAV Audio sees it as 8-ch.

If 8-ch audio is only available in these 3 formats then it should be easy to correct the MediaInfo parsing.

But I found some more confusing facts:
8-ch audio tracks can consist of several audio streams within one track. This concept is rather new to me. MediaInfo 18.05 enumerates the audio as tracks while all FFMpeg based software enumerates the audio as streams. This means trouble for AVStoDVD.

LAV Audio has no way for a user to specify a certain stream from an audio track, it always uses the first stream within a track which it can decode. A specific stream can be selected at playback via LAV splitter (right-click on the splitter tray icon), but I have found no way to select a specific stream within a track for AVStoDVD. So with the exception of DD+ 7.1 LAV Audio will always see 8-ch audio.

If more than one audio track should be included in the A2D project, and the first audio track has 8 channels, the result will be broken. A2D needs to use FFMS2 as the source filter for the second audio track (because DS based source filters do not allow to select the audio track). But if the first audio track contains more than 1 stream, the FFMS2 enumeration will see 2 or more streams in the first audio track pushing up the index numbers. In the case of 2 audio streams within the first audio track the index number for the second audio track will be 3 (instead of 2). This is probably tough to fix.

Cheers
manolito
manolito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd October 2020, 22:43   #3344  |  Link
MrC
AVStoDVD Dev

That's weird. But intriguing

First step is to read properly ATMOS clips. Time to put aside MediaInfo and to embrace FFprobe? It could be a good idea... maybe giving the user the option to choose the media reader in the Preferences... to consider for 2.9.0 release.

Bye

AVStoDVD Homepage
AVStoDVD @ Doom9 Forum
Old 4th October 2020, 01:02   #3345  |  Link
manolito

I don't know if handling 8-ch audio correctly for DVD output is worth all the trouble...

My workaround is to preprocess source clips with 8-ch audio using dmMediaConverter. This is an FFMpeg GUI specializing in video conversion, and it is very smart. Source clips with 8-ch audio are shown stream based, you can easily select or discard specific audio streams. If you want to downmix audio streams you can either do it into WAV or into the desired DVD target audio format. For video you just use "Copy", and the target container should be MKV. This MKV can be used as the A2D source file, and I never had any issues with the conversion.

Cheers
manolito
Old 4th October 2020, 16:43   #3346  |  Link
MrC
AVStoDVD Dev

Probably you are right, btw sometimes troubles mean fun. Just to save some time...

On the path of releasing 2.8.9 final: hotfix with improvements to define previewer (default external for Win10) and better parsing of Mediainfo audio channels.

Bye

AVStoDVD Homepage
AVStoDVD @ Doom9 Forum
Old 4th October 2020, 21:45   #3347  |  Link
manolito

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrC View Post
...and better parsing of Mediainfo audio channels.
Thanks, this is a major progress, and the number of audio channels are now correctly detected even for the most demanding source files...

The test clip I mostly use is the helicopter demo from here:
https://drive.google.com/open?id=0Bw...ElIcC1xTnF2Yk0
It has 2 audio tracks, but 3 audio streams. A nasty thing is that the second audio track contains an E-AC3 stream where MediaInfo reports 15 objects first, so A2D used to think that it had 15 audio channels.

This is now completely fixed, I tested at least 10 clips with 8-ch audio, and this new build always detected the correct number of channels.

There is a small glitch in the A2D GUI, though. For a source with 2 audio tracks users can switch the active audio track in the "View/Edit Titles" window. The change is correctly reflected in the AviSynth tab, and the preview also uses the selected audio track. But after selecting audio track #2 and pressing OK it is not possible to edit the title properties for audio track #2. Only track #1 shows up for editing, I found no way to select track #2.

As long as A2D detects the correct number of channels (which it does now) this is not a big problem, but it would be nice if it would get fixed.

The other bigger issue is for sources with more than 1 audio track. The "Helicopter" clip is a good example. The first audio track has two streams, so the index numbers for the audio get shifted if an FFMpeg based (i.e. stream based) software is used. If I specify to include both audio tracks in my project then FFMS2 will be called with "track=2" for the second audio track. This is wrong, to use the audio in the second audio track FFMS2 would have to be called with "track=3".

I cannot think of an automatic and foolproof way to fix this. It is the "culture clash" between enumerating audio track based or stream based. A foolproof workaround is to repack such source files into an MKV container before feeding them to AVStoDVD (MKVToolnix does this painlessly). When you feed this MKV into A2D every audio stream becomes a separate audio track again, and FFMS2 will use the correct track number for the second (or higher) audio track.

Whatever, thanks again for this latest build, it solves many problems...

Cheers
manolito
Old 5th October 2020, 20:50   #3348  |  Link
manolito

Quote:
I cannot think of an automatic and foolproof way to fix this. It is the "culture clash" between enumerating audio track based or stream based.
Maybe there is a way to determine if a track contains more than one audio stream by parsing the MediaInfo output. For a typical audio track with ATMOS/TrueHD plus an AC3 substream Mediainfo reports this:
Format profile : TrueHD+Atmos / TrueHD / AC-3
Channel(s) : Object Based / 8 channels / 6 channels

Both keys could be used IMO. An entry with "Atmos" or "Object Based" needs to be ignored, and if there are more than one entries left you will know that there is one or more additional substreams in this track. In the above example there is one substream, this means that 1 has to be added to the track number of the second and higher audio tracks for FFMS2 to work correctly.

For all the 8-ch clips I tested only the first audio track ever contained more than one stream, so it would not be hard to implement this. Of course I have no idea if higher audio tracks can also have more than one stream. If yes this would complicate the math to pass the correct track number to FFMS2.

Just an idea...

Cheers
manolito
Old 5th October 2020, 22:08   #3349  |  Link
MrC
AVStoDVD Dev

Thanks manolito for all the research. Frankly speaking I would not spend too much time to fix that mismatch between Mediainfo and FFmpeg. I don't know which program is handling properly the recent 8 channels audio tracks. Right now I prefer to stand by the window and see if the 2 apps come to a convergence. If not, I will second FFmpeg and for 2.9.0 release (2025 maybe? ) I can develop a new media info parser from FFprobe output (xml or json based).

Meanwhile I will add a new entry in the FAQ audio section, to suggest to use MKVtoolnix in case of "problematic" 8 channels tracks.

Bye

AVStoDVD Homepage
AVStoDVD @ Doom9 Forum
Old 6th October 2020, 01:08   #3350  |  Link
manolito

I have my doubts that MediaInfo and FFMpeg will ever come to a convergence in this respect. And in 2025 nobody except a few geezers like you and me will even know that the DVD format ever existed...

But I do agree with your conclusion. It is hardly worth the trouble to make A2D foolproof for handling source videos with 8-ch audio, especially for ATMOS. Experienced users have a choice of several workarounds.

But still I have a hard time conceiling the fact that I am a perfectionist. It bugs me that software like DVDStyler which is completely FFMpeg based can handle such sources without problems, and AVStoDVD cannot...

This issue would not exist if DirectShowSource had a way to specify a specific audio track for decoding (like FFMS2 and LSMASH have). Probably this won't happen anytime soon.

Cheers
manolito
Old 11th October 2020, 15:07   #3351  |  Link
MrC
AVStoDVD Dev

2.8.9 Final is out. No changes from latest Alpha+hotfix.

Two main items for next release: advanced preview under Win10 and switch from MediaInfo to FFprobe.

Bye

AVStoDVD Homepage
AVStoDVD @ Doom9 Forum
Old 11th October 2020, 22:19   #3352  |  Link
manolito

for this new stable build...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrC View Post
Two main items for next release: advanced preview under Win10 and switch from MediaInfo to FFprobe.
Sounds like you have no intention to abandon your baby...
Great news

The switch from MediaInfo to FFprobe could be a lot of work. Especially for 8-ch audio sources with a Dolby ATMOS track I can already see the pitfalls...

Cheers
manolito
Old 5th December 2020, 13:51   #3353  |  Link
manolito

For all users using my stereo -> 6-ch upmix routines from my Wavi_Mod plugin

This is a heads-up for everyone using my upmix routines from the Wavi_Mod plugin:

It turns out that I have been using wrong channel mappings for the final 6-ch output all the time. See this post and Tebasuna's reply:
https://forum.doom9.org/showthread.p...00#post1929900

To fix it you can either download and install the latest version of my A2D plugins from here:
https://files.videohelp.com/u/172211...D%20Plugins.7z

Or you can edit the file "wavi_mod.bat" in your "AVStoDVD\Wavi" folder. You can open the file in NotePad and use Search and Replace. Search for
Quote:
"%TempPath%Upmix_Temp\rear_left.wav" "%TempPath%Upmix_Temp\rear_right.wav" "%TempPath%Upmix_Temp\center.wav" "%TempPath%Upmix_Temp\lfe.wav"
and replace all 3 instances with
Quote:
"%TempPath%Upmix_Temp\center.wav" "%TempPath%Upmix_Temp\lfe.wav" "%TempPath%Upmix_Temp\rear_left.wav" "%TempPath%Upmix_Temp\rear_right.wav"
Sorry for the inconvenience...

Cheers
manolito
Old 24th December 2020, 15:34   #3354  |  Link
Mike-uk

Hope you have a good Holidays MrC and thanks again for your hard work on AVStoDVD , and to all the others on here that have helped
Mike-uk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st January 2021, 17:53   #3355  |  Link
marioxb

Hello there MrC! I've used your program many times in the past and I am very happy with it. However, now I am having an issue with all MKV and MP4 files. I get the dreaded "runtime of 00:00:00 is shorter.." bla bla. I've even tested it with MKV files I know I've correctly converted before. I updated to the latest version of your program today to see if that fixes my issue to no avail. I assume I've (un)installed too many codecs or something but this is driving me crazy. I've attached two log files. The first one is if I say "No" at the duration error and the second if I say "Yes". Thank you in advance for your help.

Log 1:
<12/25/2020 8:46:59 PM>
START PROCESS
<>

PROJECT SETTINGS

DVD Video Standard: NTSC
DVD Titles number: 1
DVD Size: 1442/4450 MB (32%)
DVD Output Setup: DVD Folder
DVD Label: DVD
DVD Menu: No Menu
Output Folder: C:\Users\Tom\Videos
Delete Temp Assets Files: Yes
Delete Temp Working Files: Yes
Edit Command Parameters: No
Post Process Task: Show Progress Status window

PREFERENCES

MultiThread: 1
AVS Video Source Filter: A2DSource
AVS Audio Source Filter: A2DSource
AVS UpSize/DownSize Filter: Lanczos4Resize/Spline16Resize
Frame Adjust Strategy: 0
FPS Hard Conversion: 1
PAL SpeedUp: 0
NTSC SlowDown: 0
Video Resolution: 0
Video Encoder: 0
Video BitRate Min: 2500
Video BitRate Max: 8500
Keep DVD Compliant Video: 1
AC3 Audio Encoder: 0
Force FFmpeg for Long Audio: 1
DVD Audio Format: 0
DVD Audio BitRate: 192
Keep DVD Compliant Audio: 1
Normalize Audio: 0
Auto Delay Audio: 1
DVD Audio Language (Primary): JA - Japanese
DVD Audio Language (Secondary): EN - English
DVD Subs Language (Primary): EN - English
DVD Subs Language (Secondary): EN - English
DVD Subs Font: Tahoma 16pt (240,240,240)
Chapters Interval: 5
Use Source Chapters: 1
DVD Burning Drive: D: hp CDDVDW SH-216ALN HA5A
DVD Burning Speed: 4x
Auto Erase DVD RW: 1
Unload ActiveMovie Library: 1
Adjust DirectShow Filters at runtime: 1
Save General Settings: 0

SYSTEM INFO

Processor Name: Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo CPU E8500 @ 3.16GHz
Operating System: Windows 10 (10.0.19041) 64 bit
User has Admin Rights: YES
Running with Elevated Privileges: NO (3)
Available Output Disc Space: 62 GB
AviSynth Version: AviSynth 2.60, build:Mar 31 2015 [16:38:54] (release 2.60)
LAV Filters is installed: YES (release 0.74.1)
ffdshow is installed: NO

CODECS REPORT

H.264/AVC: Broken
Xvid: Broken
DivX 4/5/6: Broken
Other MPG4: Broken
DV: Broken
MPEG1: Broken
MPEG2: Broken
AAC: Broken
MP3: Broken
MP2: Broken
AC3: Broken
<>

TITLE 1 SOURCE FILES
Video: F:\test.mkv
Info: AVC - 941 kbps - 640x480 - DAR 4:3 - 29.97 fps (CFR) - 8 bit - Progressive - 22:49 minutes - 41039 frames
Audio 1: F:\test.mkv
Info: MPEG-1 Audio layer 3 - 128 kbps - CBR - 2 ch - 48000 Hz - 22:49 minutes (0 ms delay) - JA - Default
[MediaInfoLib - v18.05]
<>

AVISYNTH SCRIPT
Import("C:\Program Files (x86)\AVStoDVD\Lib\A2DSource.avsi")

Video = A2DVideoSource("F:\test.mkv", CacheFolder="C:\Users\Tom\AppData\Local\Temp", VFR=false, FrameRate=29.97)
Audio = A2DAudioSource("F:\test.mkv", CacheFolder="C:\Users\Tom\AppData\Local\Temp")

Video = Video.ConvertToYV12()
Video = Video.Lanczos4Resize(720,480)

AudioDub(Video, Audio)
<>

DIRECTSHOW AUDIO MIXER OPERATIONS:
No LAV Filters mixer ON/OFF adjustment required at runtime
<>

START VIDEO ENCODING OPERATIONS
Video Encoding Profile: FFmpeg CBR 1-pass
Target Video FileSize: 1387.2 MB
Encoding Parameters: -i "C:\Users\Tom\AppData\Local\Temp\DVD_test_1.avs" -threads 2 -aspect 4:3 -c:v mpeg2video -b:v 8500k -minrate 8500k -maxrate 8500k -bufsize 2000k -dc 10 -y "C:\Users\Tom\Videos\DVD_test.m2v"
<>

<12/25/2020 8:47:06 PM>
Process aborted during Title 1 VIDEO encoding operations.

Error Message: Warning! Title 1 output Video duration (00:00:00) is shorter than expected duration (00:22:49).

For Video issues troubleshooting see Help/FAQ/Video section.
<>

Warning! AVStoDVD Project ended with errors.
<>

Log file created by AVStoDVD Release 2.8.9
<>

Log 2:
<12/25/2020 8:47:15 PM>
START PROCESS
<>

PROJECT SETTINGS

DVD Video Standard: NTSC
DVD Titles number: 1
DVD Size: 1442/4450 MB (32%)
DVD Output Setup: DVD Folder
DVD Label: DVD
DVD Menu: No Menu
Output Folder: C:\Users\Tom\Videos
Delete Temp Assets Files: Yes
Delete Temp Working Files: Yes
Edit Command Parameters: No
Post Process Task: Show Progress Status window

PREFERENCES

MultiThread: 1
AVS Video Source Filter: A2DSource
AVS Audio Source Filter: A2DSource
AVS UpSize/DownSize Filter: Lanczos4Resize/Spline16Resize
Frame Adjust Strategy: 0
FPS Hard Conversion: 1
PAL SpeedUp: 0
NTSC SlowDown: 0
Video Resolution: 0
Video Encoder: 0
Video BitRate Min: 2500
Video BitRate Max: 8500
Keep DVD Compliant Video: 1
AC3 Audio Encoder: 0
Force FFmpeg for Long Audio: 1
DVD Audio Format: 0
DVD Audio BitRate: 192
Keep DVD Compliant Audio: 1
Normalize Audio: 0
Auto Delay Audio: 1
DVD Audio Language (Primary): JA - Japanese
DVD Audio Language (Secondary): EN - English
DVD Subs Language (Primary): EN - English
DVD Subs Language (Secondary): EN - English
DVD Subs Font: Tahoma 16pt (240,240,240)
Chapters Interval: 5
Use Source Chapters: 1
DVD Burning Drive: D: hp CDDVDW SH-216ALN HA5A
DVD Burning Speed: 4x
Auto Erase DVD RW: 1
Unload ActiveMovie Library: 1
Adjust DirectShow Filters at runtime: 1
Save General Settings: 0

SYSTEM INFO

Processor Name: Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo CPU E8500 @ 3.16GHz
Operating System: Windows 10 (10.0.19041) 64 bit
User has Admin Rights: YES
Running with Elevated Privileges: NO (3)
Available Output Disc Space: 62 GB
AviSynth Version: AviSynth 2.60, build:Mar 31 2015 [16:38:54] (release 2.60)
LAV Filters is installed: YES (release 0.74.1)
ffdshow is installed: NO

CODECS REPORT

<>

TITLE 1 SOURCE FILES
Video: F:\test.mkv
Info: AVC - 941 kbps - 640x480 - DAR 4:3 - 29.97 fps (CFR) - 8 bit - Progressive - 22:49 minutes - 41039 frames
Audio 1: F:\test.mkv
Info: MPEG-1 Audio layer 3 - 128 kbps - CBR - 2 ch - 48000 Hz - 22:49 minutes (0 ms delay) - JA - Default
[MediaInfoLib - v18.05]
<>

AVISYNTH SCRIPT
Import("C:\Program Files (x86)\AVStoDVD\Lib\A2DSource.avsi")

Video = A2DVideoSource("F:\test.mkv", CacheFolder="C:\Users\Tom\AppData\Local\Temp", VFR=false, FrameRate=29.97)
Audio = A2DAudioSource("F:\test.mkv", CacheFolder="C:\Users\Tom\AppData\Local\Temp")

Video = Video.ConvertToYV12()
Video = Video.Lanczos4Resize(720,480)

AudioDub(Video, Audio)
<>

DIRECTSHOW AUDIO MIXER OPERATIONS:
No LAV Filters mixer ON/OFF adjustment required at runtime
<>

START VIDEO ENCODING OPERATIONS
Video Encoding Profile: FFmpeg CBR 1-pass
Target Video FileSize: 1387.2 MB
Encoding Parameters: -i "C:\Users\Tom\AppData\Local\Temp\DVD_1_test_1.avs" -threads 2 -aspect 4:3 -c:v mpeg2video -b:v 8500k -minrate 8500k -maxrate 8500k -bufsize 2000k -dc 10 -y "C:\Users\Tom\Videos\DVD_1_test.m2v"
<>

<12/25/2020 8:47:18 PM>
Process halted during Title 1 VIDEO encoding operations.

Error Message: 'Warning! Title 1 output Video duration (00:00:00) is shorter than expected duration (00:22:49).'

Video errors warning message skipped.
<>

<12/25/2020 8:47:18 PM>
START AUDIO ENCODING OPERATIONS (Track 1)
Wavi+Aften Parameters: "C:\Users\Tom\AppData\Local\Temp\DVD_1_test_1.avs" - | "C:\Program Files (x86)\AVStoDVD\Aften\aften.exe" -b 192 -pad 0 -dynrng 5 -bwfilter 0 - "C:\Users\Tom\Videos\DVD_1_test_1.ac3"
<>

<12/25/2020 8:47:38 PM>
WARNING! Errors found during Title 1 Audio Track 1 encoding.
Audio filesize is too small (0 MB)
Backup Audio encoding routine (FFmpeg Safe Mode) is starting ...
<>

<12/25/2020 8:47:38 PM>
START FFMPEG (SAFE MODE) AUDIO ENCODING OPERATIONS (Track 1) - Trial 1/2
FFmpeg Parameters: -threads 2 -i "F:\test.mkv" -vn -c:a ac3 -ar 48000 -ab 192k -y "C:\Users\Tom\Videos\DVD_1_test_1.ac3"
<>

<12/25/2020 8:47:55 PM>
END AUDIO ENCODING OPERATIONS (Track 1)
Created File: C:\Users\Tom\Videos\DVD_1_test_1.ac3 (31.3 MB)
Output Audio Info: AC3 - 192 kbps - CBR - 2 ch - 48000 Hz - 16 bit - 22:49 minutes (0 ms delay)
<>

DVD CHAPTERS CREATION OPERATIONS
Title 1 Input Chapters List: 8991 17982 26973 35964
Title 1 Output Chapters List:
No Chapters List created for Title 1
<>

START DVD AUTHORING OPERATIONS
BatchMux Parameters: -arglist "C:\Users\Tom\AppData\Local\Temp\DVD_1_BatchMux.ini"
BatchMux ini file:
-bmlog "C:\Users\Tom\AppData\Local\Temp\DVD_1_BatchMux.log"
-d "C:\Users\Tom\Videos\DVD_1\VIDEO_TS"
-mxp "C:\Users\Tom\AppData\Local\Temp\DVD_1_MuxMan.mxp"
-l "C:\Users\Tom\AppData\Local\Temp\DVD_1_MuxMan.log"
-muxman "C:\Program Files (x86)\AVStoDVD\MuxMan"
-prio LOW
-palette "C:\Users\Tom\AppData\Local\Temp\DVD_1_Palette.txt"
-v "C:\Users\Tom\Videos\DVD_1_test.m2v"
-vidmode 4:3
-a1 "C:\Users\Tom\Videos\DVD_1_test_1.ac3"
-a1lang ja
<>

<12/25/2020 8:48:14 PM>
Process aborted during DVD AUTHORING operations!

Check following files for more details:

AVStoDVD log file <C:\Users\Tom\Videos\DVD_1.log>
BatchMux log file <C:\Users\Tom\Videos\DVD_1_BatchMux.log>

For more troubleshooting on Authoring issues, see Help/FAQ/Authoring.
<>

<12/25/2020 8:48:17 PM>
Warning! AVStoDVD Project ended with errors.
<>

<12/25/2020 8:48:17 PM>
Log file created by AVStoDVD Release 2.8.9
<>
marioxb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st January 2021, 21:02   #3356  |  Link
manolito

From both of your logs:
Quote:
CODECS REPORT

This means that your DirectShow based source filters are broken. They cannot decode your source files, so the encoder cannot encode anything.

Two things you can do:

1. Do not use DirectShow based source filters, use FFMpegSource instead. Under "Preferences->AviSynth" change the source filters for video and audio from the default A2DSource to FFMpegSource. If you want to make these changes permanent, tick the checkbos at the lower left corner.

2. Fix the DirectShow based source filters. You can do this either directly under AVStoDVD or by downloading a small tool called DS Filter Tweaker. You can find this option under "Codecs->Preferred DirectShow Codecs Setup".
https://i.postimg.cc/htDks2Q3/Codecs2.png
Set ALL filters to LAV Filters and close the window. If this does not work, use the link at the bottom to download the Tweaker tool.

Please note that Win10 is very stubborn and insists on using its own built-in source filters (this is BAD because most of the MS source filters are crap). After every automatic update of the OS the MS filters will be active again, so users will have to repeat the above procedure.

Good luck
manolito

Last edited by manolito; 1st January 2021 at 21:06.
Old 1st January 2021, 22:38   #3357  |  Link
marioxb

Quote:
From both of your logs:

This means that your DirectShow based source filters are broken. They cannot decode your source files, so the encoder cannot encode anything.

Two things you can do:

1. Do not use DirectShow based source filters, use FFMpegSource instead. Under "Preferences->AviSynth" change the source filters for video and audio from the default A2DSource to FFMpegSource. If you want to make these changes permanent, tick the checkbos at the lower left corner.

2. Fix the DirectShow based source filters. You can do this either directly under AVStoDVD or by downloading a small tool called DS Filter Tweaker. You can find this option under "Codecs->Preferred DirectShow Codecs Setup".
https://i.postimg.cc/htDks2Q3/Codecs2.png
Set ALL filters to LAV Filters and close the window. If this does not work, use the link at the bottom to download the Tweaker tool.

Please note that Win10 is very stubborn and insists on using its own built-in source filters (this is BAD because most of the MS source filters are crap). After every automatic update of the OS the MS filters will be active again, so users will have to repeat the above procedure.

Good luck
manolito
Oh wow, thanks so much! Yup, probably didn't have Windows 10 last time I ran AVStoDVD. Stupid Microsoft! Anyway, seems to be working great now, I appreciate the help!
marioxb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th January 2021, 23:30   #3358  |  Link
oopsie

Can't preview videos in menu editor with internal player (Windows 10)

This question has probably been asked and answered but I can't find it...

I've had lots of experience with this tool on a Win7 machine but it died so I'm starting over on a Win10 machine. I've installed the latest version and I've started a project.

PROBLEM:

When I add menus and want to change the start and end frames of the motion thumbnails, I click 'Edit Thumbnail Frame selection' / 'Video' and it launches wmp12 by default. The video plays fine but I can't get wmp12 to display frame numbers so its kind of useless in terms of determining start/end frames.

The real issue is that I've tried using AVS2DVD's internal player (which I'm used to) but when I play the video, the numbers advance but no video is displayed.

I'm looking for some help on either getting the video to play with AVS2DVD's internal player (preferred) or a recommendation on an external third party player that will display frame numbers as the video plays.
oopsie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th January 2021, 01:50   #3359  |  Link
oopsie

Issues with video preview when creating menus

Not sure my previous post went through...

Trying AVS2DVD with Windows 10.

If I preview a video during menu creation using the builtin player, I get no video. The numbers increment but the screen is blank.

If this can't be fixed, please suggest an external video player that can show frame numbers during play.

Regards
oopsie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th January 2021, 08:36   #3360  |  Link
manolito

This is a known Win10 problem. MrC is aware of it, but I am not sure when (or if at all) he will find the time to work on a new build.

In the meantime I recommend to use VirtualDub (the 32-bit version) as your external player...