Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > General > Subtitles

Old 20th February 2021, 23:55   #1  |  Link
thghgv

CCdata gradually corrupted in graphedit

Hello all

I am attempting to do captures of vbi CCdata with a hauppauge HVR-1950 capture device from a composite video stream of dishPVR recorded material from a dishnet sat receiver. I have succeeded in this task a few times but it seems that over the course of a couple of days using the same graph the ccdata becomes corrupted - as in misspelled words, dropped letters, whole pieces of dialog sometimes just gone etc... I built the graph with a active-movie check monitor to display the video stream and captions in order to be able to make certain the captions are intact. With this graph the captions being captured to the binary file are pretty much WYSIWYG. So when I see garbaged up captions I am recording garbage up captions to file. I using the attached graph. Pretty simple CCdata display onscreen that record the captions to a file via a dump.filter connected to a spare "cc" pin on the CC decoder filter.

Name:  untitled.png
Views: 551
Size:  45.2 KB
I went so far as to build a host machine with WINXP-Pro 32b and simply installed the needed softwares to do cc captures - WinTV 6, the HVR-1950 drivers, Graphstudio. Mainly what has worked for me is to dump the raw CCdata to a file and then decode that .BIN file to a .SRT subtitle file via CCextractor.

This all works great except when I start seeing closed caption corruption showing up on the video check display in graphedit. On this last WinXP build every thing was running along fine for a couple of days and then today I started getting corrupt captions again. I can turn on the DishSat receiver's CC display as a check and looking at the captures being decoded by that device I see NO corruption. This issue is of the DShow filtering, graphedit itself or something else I cannot put my finger on. I have swapped cables and devices etc, and verified this is NOT hardware related. The host machine is not on the internet and the OS install is fresh.

Has anyone ever experienced this gradual corruption of captions using graphedit before?

Last edited by thghgv; 21st February 2021 at 00:05.
thghgv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st February 2021, 03:06   #2  |  Link
thghgv

Is there a way to reset the graphstudio and all its associated runtime files/temp files to a default startup state perhaps?
Old 21st February 2021, 12:53   #3  |  Link
Emulgator
Big Bit Savings Now !

GraphEdit[Studio(Next]) themselves are only .exes, loaded fresh when you start them.

Which versions do you use ?
GraphEdit: last update was 2009.
GraphStudio (last 0.3.2.0) might be too old too and has seen no development since 2010.
At the moment graphstudionext(64)-0.7.1.62.exe is the most recent version from 2020 12 05.

To narrow that down you might want to test different versions of GraphEdit/-studio(Next)
and CCExtractor against each other.

Last edited by Emulgator; 21st February 2021 at 13:00.
Emulgator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st February 2021, 20:29   #4  |  Link
thghgv

Are there any more robust tools for grabbing CC data from analog video streams than hauppauge stuff? Their drivers/hw just don't seem that stable when attempting to grab CCdata in a back to back type environment.

Also I have noted that I had made a few options changes to GraphstudioNext 32bit on that XP build I did specially for doing these composite video captures and managed to snarl graphstudio from even loading up. Which prompted me to believe there are config or data files being stored somewhere on the system for the app, unless they are writing the config stuff right into the .exe file. There doesn't seem to be any support files stored in the app folder itself...

Last edited by thghgv; 21st February 2021 at 20:34.
Old 24th February 2021, 22:04   #5  |  Link
Emulgator
Big Bit Savings Now !

HKCU\Software\MONOGRAM\