Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Video Encoding > High Efficiency Video Coding (HEVC)

Old 6th October 2016, 13:40   #1  |  Link
prokul

Test vector for HEVC CABAC

I'm working on hardware implementation of HEVC CABAC encoder. But I still remain inapprehensive on how to test it.

From the paper that I've read, standard test sequences or test vector extracted from HEVC test model(HM) is usually used to test the implementation. The problem is that I'm a beginner to C++ and HM seems way too complex.

How can I extract the input and output of CABAC encoder from HM? Or are there any available test vectors for instant use?
prokul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th October 2016, 17:28   #2  |  Link
x265_Project

Quote:
Originally Posted by prokul View Post
I'm working on hardware implementation of HEVC CABAC encoder. But I still remain inapprehensive on how to test it.

From the paper that I've read, standard test sequences or test vector extracted from HEVC test model(HM) is usually used to test the implementation. The problem is that I'm a beginner to C++ and HM seems way too complex.

How can I extract the input and output of CABAC encoder from HM? Or are there any available test vectors for instant use?
The CABAC binary entropy encoder in the HM is found in \source\Lib\TLibEncoder\TEncBinCoderCABAC.cpp
Old 17th October 2016, 16:41   #3  |  Link
prokul

I do acknowledge this file. However I don't see the binarization part and also don't know which function of class TEncBinCABAC will generate the bitstream and format of the output.
Could you help me with this?
Old 17th October 2016, 20:53   #4  |  Link
x265_Project

Quote:
Originally Posted by prokul View Post
I do acknowledge this file. However I don't see the binarization part and also don't know which function of class TEncBinCABAC will generate the bitstream and format of the output.
Could you help me with this?
In order to have any chance of accomplishing your goal, you will need to improve your C++ skills, in order to understand how the HM works. Not only with respect to CABAC encoding but for the entire HEVC encoding process. It won't be possible to develop a new implementation if you can't understand the HEVC specifications and the reference encoder completely.
Old 18th October 2016, 04:10   #5  |  Link
prokul

I did read research papers, books and H265 recommendation, so I think I mostly know how the CABAC encoder works.
The only deal with HM is that I should use HM to test my hardware model.
Can there be a shortcut of this?
I really need to work on this ASAP.

Tags
cabac, hevc, test sequence