Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > (HD) DVD, Blu-ray & (S)VCD > (HD) DVD & Blu-ray authoring

Old 17th October 2020, 22:36   #921  |  Link
LowDead
Elit Amans

I also stumbled across this that looks promising. I have never tested it though.

sub2bd

//LD
LowDead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th October 2020, 00:38   #922  |  Link
tebasuna51

Quote:
Originally Posted by LowDead View Post
I have used .ASS many times with easySUP. Make sure you have java and AviSynth installed properly.
All is OK, work with .srt

The same with sub2bd, work with a .srt but not with my test .ass

Check it yourself:
Attached Files
File Type: 7z subs.7z (707 Bytes, 29 views)
Old 18th October 2020, 03:44   #923  |  Link
LowDead
Elit Amans

Quote:
Originally Posted by tebasuna51 View Post
All is OK, work with .srt

The same with sub2bd, work with a .srt but not with my test .ass

Check it yourself:
Seems to be something wrong with that file. It can't be opened in Aegisub either. It opens in Subtitle Edit though.

//LD
LowDead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th October 2020, 11:43   #924  |  Link
r0lZ
PgcEdit daemon

Quote:
Originally Posted by tebasuna51 View Post
SubtitleEdit can export the .ass files to Blu-ray .sup
Good to know ! Thanks. But I know that SubtitleEdit has at least some limitations when it loads the ASS streams. For example, with BD3D2MK3D, I have created a tool to convert SRT to ASS 3D. Of course, each subtitle is duplicated and the two instances are resized and displayed at a different location on screen. SubtitleEdit can read that 3D ASS files, but it refuse to show the two subtitles of the 3D view at the same time, and therefore it highlights the second one as illegal. I suppose it has also other limitations, as programs able to display all ASS streams without problems are very rare. The complexity of that format is enormous. For example, a subtitle can be animated to follow a character on screen ! Only a few players can display that correctly.
r0lZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th October 2020, 13:06   #925  |  Link
tebasuna51

@LowDead
Don't work with any sample from https://hhsprings.bitbucket.io/docs/...title/ass.html

@r0lZ
You are right ASS is very complex. At least we can hope improvements because SubtitleEdit is updated at present, Aegisub is from 2014 and EasySup from 2010.

Last edited by tebasuna51; 18th October 2020 at 13:10.
tebasuna51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th October 2020, 16:45   #926  |  Link
qyot27
...?

https://github.com/wangqr/Aegisub/releases
qyot27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th October 2020, 21:33   #927  |  Link
von Suppé

Quote:
Originally Posted by r0lZ View Post
It's why I would prefer to convert it directly to PGS, to keep it as close to the original as possible. I don't know if a program able to do that exists. SubtitleEdit can load SSA, but afaik it converts it internally to SRT immediately. It can also export to PGS, but probably only the subtitles already converted to SRT...
I'm quite surprised to hear that. I am importing ass subtitles into SE and export as BD-SUP for years without problems.
Maybe it's in your workflow?
von Suppé is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th October 2020, 09:13   #928  |  Link
r0lZ
PgcEdit daemon

Quote:
Originally Posted by von Suppé View Post
I'm quite surprised to hear that. I am importing ass subtitles into SE and export as BD-SUP for years without problems.
Maybe it's in your workflow?
I did not know that this was possible. But anyway. currently. SubtitleEdit doesn't support everything possible with the ASS format. It's probably why I have assumed that it can only keep the strings, timings, colors and style (bold, italic, underline), in other words, everything supported by SRT. As far as I know, it doesn't support at least some of the other features, such as the font, scaling, animation, etc..., and especially multiple subtitles displayed at the same time (and for that last point, I am absolutely sure). See my reply here.

Last edited by r0lZ; 19th October 2020 at 09:16.
r0lZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th October 2020, 21:32   #929  |  Link
Emulgator
Big Bit Savings Now !

https://github.com/wangqr/Aegisub/releases

Thanks, qyot27, for the pointer !
Old 21st October 2020, 14:06   #930  |  Link
von Suppé

Quote:
Originally Posted by r0lZ View Post
As far as I know, it doesn't support at least some of the other features, such as the font, scaling, animation, etc..., and especially multiple subtitles displayed at the same time...
See my reply here.
Ah okay. I never worked with animation, and - as you know - not with the type of 3D subtitles that you are constructing in your tool. I'm sure there's a lot more to Aegisub and ass subs than I usually require.
I can confirm however that during export SE does honour the font's sort, size, colours & offset).
von Suppé is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd October 2020, 14:38   #931  |  Link
Littleman

Hey there, I've just purchased a Sony XH90 (X900H) TV and the Dolby Vision learning curve is...steep, to put it mildly. After a week of research, I now understand that I can only play single layer DV files & that profiles 5 & 8 work fine on my TV (tested with 4K60fps samples that look stunning).

What I'm now trying to do is to turn a DV dual layer movie into a SL DV one (profile 5/8). I have the 2 hevc files (movie + dv "video" track + ac3 audio) and the necessary tools (nightly tsmuxer + mp4muxer) but I'm not even sure this is even possible after searching this huge post & makemkv forum... no one mentions doing that / there's no guide pointing in the right direction.
So...simple question: is this hopeless or am I missing something? Cheers! And thanks for developing great tools like that.

Last edited by Littleman; 22nd October 2020 at 14:39. Reason: spelling
Littleman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd October 2020, 16:00   #932  |  Link
SeeMoreDigital
Life's clearer in 4K UHD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Littleman View Post
Hey there, I've just purchased a Sony XH90 (X900H) TV and the Dolby Vision learning curve is...steep, to put it mildly. After a week of research, I now understand that I can only play single layer DV files & that profiles 5 & 8 work fine on my TV (tested with 4K60fps samples that look stunning).
Have you tried playing dual-layered Dolby Vision files muxed within the .mp4 container (along with either AAC or AC3 audio). Such files play okay on my 2016 LG

For more info, see here: https://forum.doom9.org/showthread.p...84#post1868184
Old 22nd October 2020, 17:26   #933  |  Link
Littleman

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeeMoreDigital View Post
Have you tried playing dual-layered Dolby Vision files muxed within the .mp4 container (along with either AAC or AC3 audio). Such files play okay on my 2016 LG

For more info, see here: https://forum.doom9.org/showthread.p...84#post1868184
yes they don't play on Sony Tvs, only LGs. Still looking into this (DvdFab apparently generates decent single layer files from uhd discs but... it's quite expensive).
Old 22nd October 2020, 18:48   #934  |  Link
SeeMoreDigital
Life's clearer in 4K UHD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Littleman View Post
yes they don't play on Sony Tvs, only LGs. Still looking into this (DvdFab apparently generates decent single layer files from uhd discs but... it's quite expensive).
Okay, try the following: -

* Use MakeMKV v1.15.3 to back-up your 'dual-layer' 4K UHD Dolby Vision disc's into 'single-layer'.mkv muxes.

* Use one of the newer 'open-source' TSmuxer GUI builds to re-mux your 'single-layer' .mkv mux into 'single-layer' .ts contained muxes.

I can confirm that such .ts muxes also play perfectly on my humble 2016 LG television in Dolby Vision.

Cheers
Old 22nd October 2020, 23:21   #935  |  Link
imhh11

MakeMKV DV remux are still dual-layer files. The layers are just merged in one track (BL+EL+RPU).
If you want a single-layer file (BL+RPU) you can use @yusesope tool MUX_AND_CONVERT_TO_PROFILE_81.bat: https://mega.nz/file/mdU00TZR#bCiuGx...Lti5rjLOOKESeE

https://www.makemkv.com/forum/viewto...rt=2970#p96282

Last edited by imhh11; 22nd October 2020 at 23:25.
imhh11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd October 2020, 08:32   #936  |  Link
Littleman

Quote:
Originally Posted by imhh11 View Post
MakeMKV DV remux are still dual-layer files. The layers are just merged in one track (BL+EL+RPU).
If you want a single-layer file (BL+RPU) you can use @yusesope tool MUX_AND_CONVERT_TO_PROFILE_81.bat: https://mega.nz/file/mdU00TZR#bCiuGx...Lti5rjLOOKESeE

https://www.makemkv.com/forum/viewto...rt=2970#p96282
"Great success", to quote Borat. This is exactly what I was looking for. First experimentation looks promising: I've produced a .ts file that triggers dolby vision in Plex on the tv (but plain HDR in Sony's own media player, I'll look into it).
Thanks for pointing me in the right direction!

Edit: I believe my ts file plays regular hdr10. I've remuxed using mp4muxer and I have a much better visual quality in dv, triggered in all players of the tv. The ts file reports a dv profile of 8.07, the mp4 one is 8.06.
I'm very happy with the mp4 mux ����

Last edited by Littleman; 23rd October 2020 at 09:51.
Old 23rd October 2020, 10:21   #937  |  Link
SeeMoreDigital
Life's clearer in 4K UHD

Quote:
Support for Dolby Vision playback across devices is so bonkers!

Personally, I would have thought that my old 2016 LG television would be miles behind what's currently supported. But it plays most variants of Dolby Vision (up-to 30fps).
Old 23rd October 2020, 18:50   #938  |  Link
SeeMoreDigital
Life's clearer in 4K UHD

Quote:
If you want a single-layer file (BL+RPU) you can use @yusesope tool MUX_AND_CONVERT_TO_PROFILE_81.bat:
Using the 'Black Panther' movie as a source, I've just used that software to create an Dolby Vision BL+RPU .hevc back-up. And after muxing the elementary .hevc stream into the .ts container, I can confirm that my OPPO-UDP-203 plays the file perfectly. But my 2016 LG televisions media player app gets caught in a loop...
Old 23rd October 2020, 22:52   #939  |  Link
imhh11

yeah @yusesope is a very smart person. All the files created by his tool play flawlessly on my Sony x700 without the famous dual-track dual-layer TS bug.

-ST FEL or MEL (BL+EL+RPU)
-ST FEL to MEL (BL+EL+RPU)
-DT FEL or MEL to single-layer (BL+RPU)

Last edited by imhh11; 23rd October 2020 at 23:05.
imhh11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th October 2020, 00:54   #940  |  Link
MrVideo

I don't if the following is a problem, or not. I took a MKV file and made into a Blu-ray ISO file and then burned it. When I played it back, it didn't start at the beginning of the movie. It started at the first chapter mark, which wasn't at time zero. Why? No matter how many chapter marks there are, even if it is zero, shouldn't playback always start at time 0? I made sure there was a chapter mark for time 0 and not knowing if it was an issue, or not, I checked BD-ROM V3. That worked.
MrVideo is offline   Reply With Quote