Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > (HD) DVD, Blu-ray & (S)VCD > (HD) DVD & Blu-ray authoring

Old 4th June 2019, 00:27   #1  |  Link
datman

Need new software

I'm tired of doing google searches for BD authoring software.

I'm looking for a program semi-professional that I can create BD movie from my Gopro videos. You don't have to scroll down far to see some of my issues.

I want to be able to do some editing and in time learn how to do more advanced stuff but for now what is essential is to make simple menus from a snapshot from the movie as the wallpaper and chapter points so I can skip around. On the more advanced side I want to be able to have 2 or more soundtracks like professional movies have.

Finally the final product will have to be able to re-encode using software known well here BDRB.

Obviously this would be software I would buy.
datman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th June 2019, 00:37   #2  |  Link
Cary Knoop
Cary Knoop

Honestly, I would not bother with BD, it's tedious and time-consuming. The BD format is dead, I would only deliver online, on a hard drive or on a USB stick.
Cary Knoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th June 2019, 00:49   #3  |  Link
datman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cary Knoop View Post
Honestly, I would not bother with BD, it's tedious and time-consuming. The BD format is dead, I would only deliver online, on a hard drive or on a USB stick.
Can I do everything I want in another format? I like being able to hand someone a disc that everybody can put up on their big screen. I like how the software I have been using works "VideoPad by NCH software" but it has no option for additional audio tracks and a long video greater than 23g the audio gets way out of sync if I use BDRB

Last edited by datman; 4th June 2019 at 01:09.
Old 4th June 2019, 10:37   #4  |  Link
LowDead
Elit Amans

You could test TMPGEnc Authoring Works or their Video Mastering Works. I think you can do everything you want with their software. I use it myself from time to time and it always delivers.

//LD
LowDead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th June 2019, 03:18   #5  |  Link
datman

Quote:
Originally Posted by LowDead View Post
You could test TMPGEnc Authoring Works or their Video Mastering Works. I think you can do everything you want with their software. I use it myself from time to time and it always delivers.

//LD
I downloaded both. It looks like I needed VMW. It is looking very promising. Took a few minutes to figure a few things out. I got it encoding a video I will let you know how it works. Is there a forum and or technical support number? I have to figure out how to set up a menu with chapter point and the 2nd audio track.

Last edited by datman; 9th June 2019 at 03:27.
Old 9th June 2019, 17:28   #6  |  Link
datman

Actually TMPGEnc Authoring Works is the correct software. It took some figuring to get it set up but I got it encoding a 2:18 hour ride video and have a 2nd 24/96 audio track and all that fits on a 25g disc with a little room to spare. I ran a version from both software AMW and VMW the VMW output a 35g mts2 and the AMW a 16g BD folder structure. So when I added the 2nd audio track the size got bumped up but still a very comfortable margin. I also raised the encoder level to the highest quality. Adds some encoding time but even at the default level looked damn good.
Definitely looks like what I was looking for with plenty of options for future tweaking
Old 10th June 2019, 01:40   #7  |  Link
datman

One more update. Figuring it out can be a pain when doing 5 hour encodes but it's all good. Turned out better than I could have expected. The first run with both audio track froze a 97%. I turned off screen saver and disconnected the internet. The second worked but I learned there is a button that mixes both audio tracks. So I have it set up for a 3rd time this time 3 audio streams the default is the ride audio in 224 DD. The 2nd the music 24/96 LPCM. The 3rd is a mixed audio track in 320 DD. It all still fit on a BD25 disc.
Old 10th June 2019, 11:01   #8  |  Link
LowDead
Elit Amans

You can change the encoder to hardware on the "encoding" tab to accelerate the output.

//LD
Old 11th June 2019, 00:27   #9  |  Link
datman

Quote:
You can change the encoder to hardware on the "encoding" tab to accelerate the output.

//LD
Yea I know I made it go so slow because at this point I want all the best options and later I can figure out what is overkill.

I have been filming at 1080 60fps. Is there a best option for setting the frame rate to get the smoothest playback? I set it at 23.976 24 or 29.97 are my other options. I could film at 24. I don't do any slow motion video so do I even need to record at 60fps?
Attached Images

Old 12th June 2019, 01:27   #10  |  Link
LowDead
Elit Amans

I'm not sure what options are the "correct" ones for framerate. I always shoot for keeping original framerate unless I get choppiness. Then I usually try doubling the framerate. With that said the program does really good(for my old eyes) fremerate conversions if needed.

//LD
Old 13th June 2019, 03:44   #11  |  Link
datman

Quote:
I'm not sure what options are the "correct" ones for framerate. I always shoot for keeping original framerate unless I get choppiness. Then I usually try doubling the framerate. With that said the program does really good(for my old eyes) fremerate conversions if needed.

//LD
I did 2 things I upped the encode time and I changed it to 29.97 based on the fact that that is nearly half of 60. Either way the finished video is even better. So I'm sticking with these settings film at 60fps and encode at 29.97.

Again thanks for the help is exactly what I was looking for.
Old 13th June 2019, 03:47   #12  |  Link
Cary Knoop
Cary Knoop

Having a 1080p60 video decimated to 30p because 'it stuttered' does not make any sense to me.
But to each his own.
Cary Knoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th June 2019, 08:26   #13  |  Link
Sharc

Is the source 1920x1080 progressive or interlaced? When converting 60fps progressive video to 29.97fps it must - for blu-ray compliance - be encoded either as interlaced or encoded as progressive in "fake-interlaced" mode. In the first case (true interlaced) one looses spatial resolution and in the second case (progressive) one looses temporal resolution. So if the source is 60fps progressive we will be loosing something by the blu-ray compliant conversion. But it's the best one can get out of it.

Edit:
One could keep the 60p (59.94p) by downscaling the 1920x1080 source video to 1280x720p for blu-ray compliance. But again this means loosing spatial resolution. The loss may however not be critical for dash cam footage.

Last edited by Sharc; 13th June 2019 at 08:46.
Sharc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th June 2019, 00:23   #14  |  Link
datman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharc View Post
Is the source 1920x1080 progressive or interlaced? When converting 60fps progressive video to 29.97fps it must - for blu-ray compliance - be encoded either as interlaced or encoded as progressive in "fake-interlaced" mode. In the first case (true interlaced) one looses spatial resolution and in the second case (progressive) one looses temporal resolution. So if the source is 60fps progressive we will be loosing something by the blu-ray compliant conversion. But it's the best one can get out of it.

Edit:
One could keep the 60p (59.94p) by downscaling the 1920x1080 source video to 1280x720p for blu-ray compliance. But again this means loosing spatial resolution. The loss may however not be critical for dash cam footage.
Thanks for the info. I'm not sure how the gopro is filming there is no setting for progressive or interlace. My goal is to view from a BD disc. So I set it to film at 1080. I was told to set it to 60fps also. My understanding is you have better options if you so slow motion scenes but if not may be overkill. So to sum it all up I have been filming at 60fps and authoring the BD movie at 24 or 23.96. I tried 29.96 on my last burn with MPGEnc Authoring Works and it did look better at least by a little it may also have been from the longer encode time.
Probably I just have to experiment and try filming at 24fps and see how that looks.