Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > (HD) DVD, Blu-ray & (S)VCD > DVD & BD Rebuilder

Old 16th January 2021, 01:38   #30321  |  Link
jdobbs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glarioo View Post
According to Mediainfo, the maximum bitrate with v0.61.19. is limited 30.0 to Mb/s
With v0.61.18 it was 40.0 Mb/s.
I 'm using alternate movie-only output, MKV container 1920x1080 640kbs DD5.1.
Using NVEnc encoder One Pass CQM, Constant Quality Mode (CQM): 19.
Look in ALTERNATE.TXT and make changes as needed. See the new configuration parameter:

mBitrate=Maximum bitrate (and VBV buffer size) for VBR video encoding. Uses system defaults when not specified.
Old 16th January 2021, 08:35   #30322  |  Link
MrVideo

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdobbs View Post
Not sure why. I guess it's possible it could be something specific about my HDMI-->VGA adapter. Don't know for sure.
OK, thanks for the update. The card has arrived, so I am waiting for the two adapters to arrive (one HDMI and the other DP).

I'll try it with the HDMI adapter and if it doesn't show anything, I'll do your trick.

UPDATE: The HDMI->VGA adapter will arrive in today's mail.

Last edited by MrVideo; 16th January 2021 at 17:13.
MrVideo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th January 2021, 02:45   #30323  |  Link
MrVideo

The GTX-1660 is installed and operational. The HDMI->VGA converter worked great. No having to start out with HDMI. This is the adapter that I bought: https://www.ebay.com/itm/HDMI-to-VGA...53.m2749.l2649

I had previously downloaded the latest driver, so once the system came up, I installed it.

Now, when I get a chance, I'll have to play with UHD->25BD conversions.
Old 17th January 2021, 14:49   #30324  |  Link
jdobbs

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrVideo View Post
The GTX-1660 is installed and operational. The HDMI->VGA converter worked great. No having to start out with HDMI. This is the adapter that I bought: https://www.ebay.com/itm/HDMI-to-VGA...53.m2749.l2649

I had previously downloaded the latest driver, so once the system came up, I installed it.

Now, when I get a chance, I'll have to play with UHD->25BD conversions.
Good to know. I may have to pick one up. Switching for bios changes can be a real pain in the butt.
Old 17th January 2021, 19:37   #30325  |  Link
Glarioo

Quote:
Look in ALTERNATE.TXT and make changes as needed. See the new configuration parameter:

mBitrate=Maximum bitrate (and VBV buffer size) for VBR video encoding. Uses system defaults when not specified.
Thanks, jdobbs. It works.
Glarioo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th January 2021, 02:19   #30326  |  Link
MrVideo

Quote:
Good to know. I may have to pick one up. Switching for bios changes can be a real pain in the butt.
The initial MB BIOS boot screen showed up, so one can hit the appropriate function key to get into the BIOS settings (which I didn't do as I had no need).

UPDATE: I had to some some rebooting, so I checked that I able to get into the BIOS. Yep.

Last edited by MrVideo; 19th January 2021 at 07:37.
Old 19th January 2021, 15:59   #30327  |  Link
MrVideo

OK, I'm ready to do a UHD to 25GB BD test backup. The trouble is that with so many posts regarding settings, I don't even know where to start to get a complete backup, with menus and special features. A sample INI file would be helpful. Thanks.
Old 19th January 2021, 17:52   #30328  |  Link
cartman0208

Quote:
OK, I'm ready to do a UHD to 25GB BD test backup. The trouble is that with so many posts regarding settings, I don't even know where to start to get a complete backup, with menus and special features. A sample INI file would be helpful. Thanks.
That is an easy one
Mode: Full
Settings:
Encoder - NVEnc
Output size - BD25
Quality - Highest (Very Slow) - One Pass (CQM)

Choose your favourite Languages/Subtitles in Setup (I prefer to keep Audio intact at that target size)

And you are ready to go

If you are in need of a Quickie, choose Good (Fastest) in Quality settings ... but that's real quick then
cartman0208 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th January 2021, 23:18   #30329  |  Link
jdobbs

Quote:
The default settings are the best for UHD backup. Just select a UHD disc structure for input, and it should all go automatically. If it's the first time trying -- you'll have to select NVENC as your encoder.
Old 20th January 2021, 16:09   #30330  |  Link
RoyGBiv-inRI

I had previously reported that with version 6.1.18 MakeMKV reported errors with discs encoded by BDRebuilder and could not create MKVs of the files. I went back to 6.1.16 and I decided to try again with the newest version, 6.1.19. Unfortunately, this also does not work. Here is the log from MakeMKV:

MakeMKV v1.15.3 win(x64-release) started
Using LibreDrive mode (v06.2 id=97A57DF98E20)
Using direct disc access mode
AACS directory not present, assuming unencrypted disc
Failed to decode audio/video data for title #0 - invalid mux or internal error, title skipped.
Title #00001.mpls was skipped
Failed to decode audio/video data for title #0 - invalid mux or internal error, title skipped.
Title #00002.mpls was skipped
Title #00003.mpls was skipped
Title #00004.mpls was skipped
Title #00005.mpls was skipped
Title #00006.mpls was skipped
Title #00007.mpls was skipped
Title #00008.mpls was skipped
Title #00009.mpls was skipped
Title #00010.mpls was skipped
Title #00011.mpls was skipped
Title #00012.mpls was skipped
Title #00013.mpls was skipped
Title #00014.mpls was skipped
Title #00001.m2ts was skipped
Title #00002.m2ts was skipped
Title #00003.m2ts was skipped
Title #00004.m2ts was skipped
Title #00005.m2ts was skipped
Title #00006.m2ts was skipped
Title #00007.m2ts was skipped
Title #00008.m2ts was skipped
Title #00009.m2ts was skipped
Title #00010.m2ts was skipped
Title #00011.m2ts was skipped
Title #00012.m2ts was skipped
Title #00013.m2ts was skipped
Title #00014.m2ts was skipped
Title #99001.m2ts has length of 52 seconds which is less than minimum title length of 120 seconds and was therefore skipped
Title #99002.m2ts has length of 0 seconds which is less than minimum title length of 120 seconds and was therefore skipped
Failed to open disc

This is the BDRebuilder log for that disc which does not appear to show any errors:

- Processing DVD title [1 of 20 ]
- Collecting audio/video/subtitle streams...
- Converting subtitles to BD format...
- Multiplexing audio/video/subtitles...
- Processing DVD title [2 of 20 ]
- Not kept, per user setting...
- Processing DVD title [3 of 20 ]
- Processing DVD title [4 of 20 ]
- Processing DVD title [5 of 20 ]
- Processing DVD title [6 of 20 ]
- Processing DVD title [7 of 20 ]
- Processing DVD title [8 of 20 ]
- Processing DVD title [9 of 20 ]
- Processing DVD title [10 of 20 ]
- Processing DVD title [11 of 20 ]
- Processing DVD title [12 of 20 ]
- Processing DVD title [13 of 20 ]
- Processing DVD title [14 of 20 ]
- Processing DVD title [15 of 20 ]
- Processing DVD title [16 of 20 ]
- Processing DVD title [17 of 20 ]
- Processing DVD title [18 of 20 ]
- Processing DVD title [19 of 20 ]
- Processing DVD title [20 of 20 ]
- Creating Quick-Play Menu...
- Encoding menu background...
- Building menu structure...
[09:32:14] DVD import completed successfully.

This happened to be a disc that was a compilation from multiple DVDs. It has also happened with discs that were made from BDs.

Can anyone point to something I can change to get this to work correctly. For now, I have to go back to version 6.1.16 to get this to work for me.

Thanks.

Your Obedient Servant
SMK

Last edited by RoyGBiv-inRI; 20th January 2021 at 19:09.
RoyGBiv-inRI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th January 2021, 16:38   #30331  |  Link
RoyGBiv-inRI

Here is the MakeMKV log for opening the files that were created using 6.1.16:

MakeMKV v1.15.3 win(x64-release) started
Using LibreDrive mode (v06.2 id=97A57DF98E20)
Using direct disc access mode
AACS directory not present, assuming unencrypted disc
File 00001.mpls was added as title #0
File 00002.mpls was added as title #1
File 00003.mpls was added as title #2
File 00004.mpls was added as title #3
File 00005.mpls was added as title #4
File 00006.mpls was added as title #5
File 00007.mpls was added as title #6
File 00008.mpls was added as title #7
File 00009.mpls was added as title #8
File 00010.mpls was added as title #9
File 00011.mpls was added as title #10
File 00012.mpls was added as title #11
File 00013.mpls was added as title #12
File 00014.mpls was added as title #13
Title #99001.m2ts has length of 52 seconds which is less than minimum title length of 120 seconds and was therefore skipped
Title #99002.m2ts has length of 0 seconds which is less than minimum title length of 120 seconds and was therefore skipped
Operation successfully completed

Your Obedient Servant
SMK
RoyGBiv-inRI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st January 2021, 12:04   #30332  |  Link
MrVideo

Quote:
The default settings are the best for UHD backup. Just select a UHD disc structure for input, and it should all go automatically. If it's the first time trying -- you'll have to select NVENC as your encoder.
Turns out there were some other settings as well: Selecting ENG for audio and subtitles; allowing more than one stream for both.

Otherwise I am impressed with the result. While I can only currently see the result on my 1080p monitor, viewing different portions of the result looked great; no macroblocking. I burned to a BD-R to look at it.

The process started @ 00:07:40 and ended @ 01:50:09.
Old 21st January 2021, 22:16   #30333  |  Link
jdobbs

Quote:
The initial MB BIOS boot screen showed up, so one can hit the appropriate function key to get into the BIOS settings (which I didn't do as I had no need).

UPDATE: I had to some some rebooting, so I checked that I able to get into the BIOS. Yep.
Got a new HDMI-->VGA converter today. Yep. It works with the BIOS screen too. So it appears it was the converter that was the issue.

To anyone who may be having the same issue, I got this one from Amazon. It was actually cheaper than the one I replaced (I got that one at Best Buy).

There was also an issue with resolution resizing every time I switched between computers with the KVM -- and that has gone away with the new adapter too. I'd never suspected that was related to the adapter. Looks like I got a twofer with this fix!

Last edited by jdobbs; 21st January 2021 at 22:22.
jdobbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd January 2021, 04:18   #30334  |  Link
MrVideo

Quote:
There was also an issue with resolution resizing every time I switched between computers with the KVM -- and that has gone away with the new adapter too. I'd never suspected that was related to the adapter. Looks like I got a twofer with this fix!
I don't have that issue with the one I bought.
Old 22nd January 2021, 23:38   #30335  |  Link
jdobbs

Quote:
I don't have that issue with the one I bought.
My new one doesn't have the issue either. It only happened on the old one.

It was never a big problem -- because it would correct itself in about 5 seconds after switching over. But I'm glad to see it gone with this new adapter.
Old 23rd January 2021, 10:33   #30336  |  Link
cartman0208

I followed your discussion and I'm still confused about your setups and why you need VGA adapters. (or help me with pictures )
KVM I remember from the early days as an administrator in the datacenter. (The newer servers have that build in.) Why do you need that? You have that many computers?
If it's windows machines, why not use RDP? Or VNC, if it's Linux? You'd only need power and network cable
Old 24th January 2021, 05:01   #30337  |  Link
MrVideo

Quote:
Originally Posted by cartman0208 View Post
I followed your discussion and I'm still confused about your setups and why you need VGA adapters. (or help me with pictures )
KVM I remember from the early days as an administrator in the datacenter. (The newer servers have that build in.) Why do you need that? You have that many computers?
Yes. At one time there were 7. Now it is down to three, with a potential fourth that can be turned on. When I got the KVM, VGA was the norm. Plus, as mentioned, the HDMI input to the monitor goes to the AVR, the DVI to the OTA STB and the VGA to the computers.
Quote:
If it's windows machines, why not use RDP? Or VNC, if it's Linux? You'd only need power and network cable
Because it is faster, and easier, to hit a few keys on the keyboard to change to a different computer. Whatever I have active on the computer screen stays active.
Old 24th January 2021, 14:56   #30338  |  Link
jdobbs

Quote:
Because it is faster, and easier, to hit a few keys on the keyboard to change to a different computer. Whatever I have active on the computer screen stays active.
Yep. Much easier, more functional, and quicker. With mine all I have to do is hit the scroll-lock key twice and select the number of the computer I want to access.

I tried using VNC for a while way-back-when -- and I just didn't like it. I switched back to my KVM in less than a week. Now I only enable it to access my server when I'm away from home for an extended period.

Last edited by jdobbs; 24th January 2021 at 15:00.
jdobbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th January 2021, 20:24   #30339  |  Link
cartman0208

Well, I guess I can't argue with that.
It just isn't suitable for my setup (Apart from my main PC, one is a VM, the other is a machine 2 rooms away.) RDP does a pretty good job here.
My wife would kill me, if I'd pull video cables through the apartment

But be aware, with VGA cables you problably won't see QHD or even UHD
Old 24th January 2021, 20:52   #30340  |  Link
MrVideo

Quote:
Yep. Much easier, more functional, and quicker. With mine all I have to do is hit the scroll-lock key twice and select the number of the computer I want to access.
Mine is Scroll Lock twice as well. But I normally hit the Up or Down key.