Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Hardware & Software > Software players

Old 26th April 2012, 01:16   #1  |  Link
blah789

some notes on mpc-hc, mov, and μlaw

in the release prior to the last (1.6.0.4014), I was really pleasantly surprised when I saw you had added a bunch of codecs (indeo, motion jpeg (jpeg/mjpa) in mov, etc).* I could turn off a bunch of them in ffdshow-tryouts and just rely on mpc-hc for everything.

i was going to report a few non-working items, but it seems you have implemented some of them already in the current release (1.6.1.4235)
1. flash adpcm
2. μlaw in mov container

(2) is only partially fixed though
here's some samples where μlaw still does NOT work.
NOTE: all linked samples are unedited and straight from respective digital cameras
mostly casio digital cameras
(link in post below)
a couple of nikon
(link in post below)

for comparison (and in case this is helpful) here's some samples that work now (but didn't before)
(link in post below)
(first four are kodak, last two are samsung)

note also how the clip 100_0063.MOV (kodak dx4530) is letterboxed (doesn't happen in quicktime nor vlc). seems to happen quite a bit with digital cameras that use h.263 as the video codec (not that there were very many). not sure if fileable as bug. if you need more h.263-letterboxed-in-mpc-hc-only samples, mention it and i'll try to dig them up.

and here's a sample that doesn't work at all on mpc-hc, shows black on quicktime (used to work on quicktime too i thought, but maybe not - doesn't work at time of posting), but works on vlc.
(link in post below)

and here's two samples I stumbled upon, I can't recall where, which don't work at all either on mpc-hc. they work on quicktime and vlc though. mjpa for video. (that's not the problem though, because 100_0064.mov above in the kodak samples is also mjpa, but works). i uploaded them on sendspace
(link in post below)

other notes: on XP SP3 32-bit, all patched up. clarkdale core i3, intel hd graphics. my observations may differ from users on other versions of windows or different hardware.

other: have you ever thought of implementing a by-extension vs by-type file association scheme? similar to xnview
http://oi45.tinypic.com/4ig8d4.jpg
some of us like tight control over our file extensions (though if it's not widely in demand, it wouldn't be worth coding)

* those are particularly useful, because a lot of early webcam (indeo) and digital camera (motion jpeg in avi and mov) movies were recorded in those respective codecs (though we're shifting towards wmv for the former, and h.264 for the latter). while webcam/cell phone/digital camera footage may not circulate much, i suspect on an average computer, they probably account for a greater number of videos than do p2p downloads.

Last edited by blah789; 26th April 2012 at 02:56. Reason: taking too much bandwidth on steves-digicams's site
blah789 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th April 2012, 02:54   #2  |  Link
blah789

----------------------------------
ALL SAMPLES IN LINK IN THIS POST
----------------------------------

i tried to get the links from steves digicams's site to work just now, but they seem really slow. maybe it wasn't a good idea to link so many at once (he may not appreciate the extra traffic!)

anyway, as I have a copy, I uploaded them all to sendspace (I probably should have done that from the start)
http://www.sendspace.com/file/4pz22m

Last edited by blah789; 26th April 2012 at 02:58. Reason: to make it consistent with changes in previous post
blah789 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
μlaw, mov, mpc-hc, mu-law, u-law