Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Hardware & Software > Software players

Old 26th January 2014, 23:02   #22001  |  Link
madshi
Registered Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by djfred93 View Post
MadVR don't load with the latest version, it is stuck at opening the file and it crash on the setting window. The debug don't work either.

Log

My system : Intel Core i7@920, Ati Radeon HD 5770, Windows 8.1, MPC-HC 1.7.2
The log seems to suggest that the decoder is never sending any video frames to madVR. But I'm not fully sure. It could also be a different problem just looking like that. Try different video files and maybe a different decoder. Does playback work with v0.86.11?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheShadowRunner View Post
Oh my bad, sure, here it is with "present multiple frames" enabled: madV_logTSR.zip
Hmmmm... The log suggests that "present several frames in advance" is still disabled.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stereodude View Post
I'm a little confused... I have these profile auto select rules, but it always picks the progressive profile even when the source is definitely interlaced (madVR reports deinterlacing is on and shows a time for it).

if (srcInterlaced = true) "interlaced"
else if (srcInterlaced = false) "progressive"

I'm using .87.2 if that matters.
I've tried your exact setup and it works correctly here. The profiles switch exactly as intended. BTW, you could shorten your script to "if (srcInterlaced) "interlaced" else "progressive"". But it won't make any difference. Your script is alright.

Last edited by madshi; 26th January 2014 at 23:05.
madshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th January 2014, 23:08   #22002  |  Link
iSunrise

Quote:
No you don't. link

However, I've edited my post as I believe I understand why I wasn't seeing the correct information.
You´re right, that one was a major oversight by me, didn´t think that madVR would consider == and = as being an equal operation. But at least my second advice is valid.
iSunrise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th January 2014, 23:09   #22003  |  Link
TheShadowRunner

Quote:
Originally Posted by madshi View Post
Hmmmm... The log suggests that "prerender multiple frames in advance" is still disabled.
... hmm indeed?
We're talking about "exclusive mode settings" > "present several frames in advance" ENABLED, right?
I made another log after 2x checking.. here it is: madVR_logTSR_2.zip
Old 26th January 2014, 23:12   #22004  |  Link
madshi
Registered Developer

Quote:
... hmm indeed?
We're talking about "exclusive mode settings" > "present several frames in advance" ENABLED, right?
I made another log after 2x checking.. here it is: madVR_logTSR_2.zip
Weird. Ok, let me think: The log indicates that madVR is using D3D9 instead of D3D9Ex. That usually means that "present several frames in advance" is disabled. However, now I think I misinterpreted that. Are you by any chance still using Windows XP? That would explain the problem, because the cause of the issue is the use of D3D9. And XP doesn't support D3D9Ex.

P.S: Just saw your signature. Yes, the problem is XP. My fault, I misinterpreted the log. The problem will be fixed in v0.87.3, sorry.
Old 26th January 2014, 23:13   #22005  |  Link
Stereodude

Quote:
I've tried your exact setup and it works correctly here. The profiles switch exactly as intended. BTW, you could shorten your script to "if (srcInterlaced) "interlaced" else "progressive"". But it won't make any difference. Your script is alright.
Thanks, I found my problem and edited my post, but you were too fast.
Stereodude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th January 2014, 23:15   #22006  |  Link
djfred93

Quote:
The log seems to suggest that the decoder is never sending any video frames to madVR. But I'm not fully sure. It could also be a different problem just looking like that. Try different video files and maybe a different decoder. Does playback work with v0.86.11?
It's the same with MPC-BE and his internal filter. It was working fine with MadVR 0.86.11 and with MadVR 0.87.1.
djfred93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th January 2014, 23:16   #22007  |  Link
leeperry
Kid for Today

Ouh it seems that 87.2 has made DXVA2 fully usable on my rig, especially if I check "use OpenCL to process DXVA". At this stage, only a wattmeter will make me decide between CPU or GPU video decoding.

My only last problem is that I get tearing at the bottom of the picture in windowed mode, it instantly disappears when I go FSE or FSW...very strange and not a big deal anyway.

The performance issue I mentioned when going FS is apparently due to how W7 behaves when mVR simultaneously rolls the refresh rate and goes FS, XP did it all seamlessly but W7 hiccups quite a bit as the picture is vertically stretched for like a split second, then the AR is applied and playback finally starts.

I see that you've explained several times in this thread that NNEDI can do 2X vertical and/or horizontal upscale but:
1) why is there a "NNEDI3" processing option in the "chroma upscaling" tab, but not in "image upscaling"?
2) if I want to upscale a 4:3 360*288 video to 4:3 1440:1080, the default "image doubling" settings will upscale it to 1440*576 and then 576 will be upscaled to 1080 using the algorithm I chose in "image upscaling"?
leeperry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th January 2014, 23:20   #22008  |  Link
TheShadowRunner

Quote:
Weird. Ok, let me think: The log indicates that madVR is using D3D9 instead of D3D9Ex. That usually means that "present several frames in advance" is disabled. However, now I think I misinterpreted that. Are you by any chance still using Windows XP? That would explain the problem, because the cause of the issue is the use of D3D9. And XP doesn't support D3D9Ex.

P.S: Just saw your signature. Yes, the problem is XP. My fault, I misinterpreted the log. The problem will be fixed in v0.87.3, sorry.
Ooh no worries, glad you found the issue ^^;
See you,

TSR
Old 26th January 2014, 23:24   #22009  |  Link
Stereodude

Okay, I'm pretty sure this one is real...

I have these rules for image and chroma scaling
if ((srcWidth <= 1300) and (deintFps < 31) and (srcInterlaced == true)) "<= 720i 24-30fps"
else if ((srcWidth <= 1300) and (deintFps < 31) and (srcInterlaced == false)) "<= 720p 24-30fps"
else if ((srcWidth <= 1300) and (deintFps > 31) and (srcInterlaced != true)) "<= 720p 50-60fps"

and this rule for image downscaling
if ((srcWidth >= 1600) and (deintFps < 31) and (srcInterlaced == false)) ">= 1600w 24-30fps"

Playing back a blu-ray on my 1600x1200 monitor I see this:

It's using the downscaling settings, but shouldn't none of the image scaling options be bold since none are active? FWIW, the downscaling option is bold when playing back content that's not being downscaled also.
Stereodude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th January 2014, 23:36   #22010  |  Link
madshi
Registered Developer

Quote:
It's the same with MPC-BE and his internal filter. It was working fine with MadVR 0.86.11 and with MadVR 0.87.1.
I see. Have you tried going back to 0.86.11 or 0.87.1 after you ran into this problem? Sometimes the OS just gets into a screwed up state. Could you please double check if 0.86.11 or 0.87.1 still work if you go back to them now?

If they still do work then I've no idea what the problem could be...

Quote:
Originally Posted by leeperry View Post
Ouh it seems that 87.2 has made DXVA2 fully usable on my rig, especially if I check "use OpenCL to process DXVA".
Great!

Quote:
1) why is there a "NNEDI3" processing option in the "chroma upscaling" tab, but not in "image upscaling"?
NNEDI3 can only do exact 2.0x enlargements. Chroma upscaling happens to be exactly that. So NNEDI3 can serve as a full replacement for the other algorithms, when talking about chroma upscaling.

However, the image upscaling factor is very rarely exactly 2.0x. So NNEDI3 is almost never a full replacement algorithm for the other algorithms like Lanczos or Jinc, when talking about image upscaling. Let's imagine I made the image upscaling settings page the same as the chroma upscaling settings page is now. And let's imagine you selected NNEDI3 for image upscaling. Let's further imagine in your specific situation you'd need a 3.0x scaling factor. What should madVR do in that case? It could use NNEDI3 to upscale 2.0x or 4.0x, but not 3.0x. So what should it do? It's not clear. Because of that I cannot offer NNEDI3 as a full replacement algorithm in the image upscaling settings page.

Quote:
2) if I want to upscale a 4:3 360*288 video to 4:3 1440:1080, the default "image doubling" settings will upscale it to 1440*576 and then 576 will be upscaled to 1080 using the algorithm I chose in "image upscaling"?
No. The default "image doubling" settings disable image doubling / NNEDI3.

You can tell madVR to double your image size, or to quadruple it with NNEDI3. If you tell madVR to only double it, you get 720*576. If you tell madVR to quadruple it, you get 1440*1152. But whether madVR actually doubles or quadruples depends on which exact settings you're using in the "image doubling" section. There are several radio boxes in there you can check which controls all this. In any case, if the output of "image doubling" is smaller than the target resolution, madVR will use the algorithm from the "image upscaling" settings page to upscale the "image doubling" output to the needed target resolution. If the output of "image doubling" is larger than the target res, madVR will usw the image downscaling algorithm to achieve the target res.

Quote:
It's using the downscaling settings, but shouldn't none of the image scaling options be bold since none are active? FWIW, the downscaling option is bold when playing back content that's not being downscaled also.
The "bold" state just shows which profile is active. One profile is always active in every profile group. If your script doesn't select a profile, the first profile in the list will be active. A profile being active doesn't mean that the settings page is actually used. It just says which profile would be used if the settings are needed by madVR.
Old 26th January 2014, 23:36   #22011  |  Link
madshi
Registered Developer

madVR v0.87.3 released

http://madshi.net/madVR.zip

Code:
* fixed: blacked out video in Windows XP
* fixed: blacked out video when disabling "present several frames in advance"
Old 26th January 2014, 23:40   #22012  |  Link

Quote:
Chroma upscaling is often not very important. I don't really recommend using NNEDI3 for chroma upscaling - unless your GPU doesn't have anything else to do, maybe.
I agree, it's far less important than luma scaling - but I appreciate that madVR does have high quality chroma scaling options available.

Generally I would suggest:
  1. Mitchell-Netravali
  2. Bicubic 75 with the anti-ringing filter enabled
  3. Jinc 3 with the anti-ringing filter enabled
in order of performance impact and quality. (low to high)

Anything above Bilinear is good though, as that can introduce noticeable artifacts, and with the optimized scaling algorithms I'd like to think that few systems would have to compromise and use Bilinear.

Mitchell-Netravali is a good choice if you don't have the performance to enable the anti-ringing filter, as it has very little ringing itself.
You could use Bicubic 75 instead as that's sharper and has the same performance requirements, but it can suffer from ringing.

Bicubic 75+AR gets you 90% of the way there as far as chroma quality is concerned. For the vast majority of sources, this will be indistinguishable from anything more advanced.

And when you have performance to spare, Jinc 3+AR is the best option, though few sources actually require it.

I am looking forward to doing some testing once NNEDI3 is working though.

Quote:
Ouh it seems that 87.2 has made DXVA2 fully usable on my rig, especially if I check "use OpenCL to process DXVA". At this stage, only a wattmeter will make me decide between CPU or GPU video decoding.
Unless you're using a really low power system, the difference is probably going to be negligible between DXVA or software decoding on modern hardware - at least up to 1080p.

Error handling is definitely better with software decoding.
Someone posted a really good sample video here (probably years ago at this point) which shows errors with the hardware decoders that do not exist with LAV's software decoding:

(the sample appeared to be a broadcast recording with fast movement and a lot of flashing lights)

That being said, it is extremely rare to find this with commercially produced content.
So far I've only seen this occur with a single blu-ray (out of hundreds) and have had one other report of it happening on another disc.
Because it's so rare in the content I watch, I do use DXVA-CB decoding, as it means that high CPU usage in other programs is a lot less likely to affect video playback.

If you see blocking like that happen in the content that you watch though, you should check and see if switching to software decoding will fix it.

Quote:
Chroma upscaling is only ever going to be 2x.

If you're scaling luma with NNEDI3 you are likely to use NNEDI3 to scale 2x and use an additional scaler (up or down) to scale that image to your display resolution.

Edit: Nevermind - Madshi has already managed to answer your question and put out a new build in the time it took for me to type up that reply.

Last edited by 6233638; 26th January 2014 at 23:51.
6233638 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th January 2014, 23:42   #22013  |  Link
TheShadowRunner

Quote:
madVR v0.87.3 released

http://madshi.net/madVR.zip

Code:
* fixed: blacked out video in Windows XP
* fixed: blacked out video when disabling "present several frames in advance"
Ahah that was lightning fast, thank you!
Testing..
Old 26th January 2014, 23:43   #22014  |  Link
DragonQ

Quote:
Originally Posted by iSunrise View Post
You´re right, that one was a major oversight by me, didn´t think that madVR would consider == and = as being an equal operation. But at least my second advice is valid.
Proper languages use the same symbol for setting and evaluating variables.
Old 26th January 2014, 23:44   #22015  |  Link
djfred93

Quote:
I see. Have you tried going back to 0.86.11 or 0.87.1 after you ran into this problem? Sometimes the OS just gets into a screwed up state. Could you please double check if 0.86.11 or 0.87.1 still work if you go back to them now?
It work on 0.86.11, 0.87.1 and 0.87.3. So that good, thanks.

Edit : And work very good. Now, i can activate debanding on 1080i.

Last edited by djfred93; 26th January 2014 at 23:53.
djfred93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th January 2014, 23:59   #22016  |  Link
TheShadowRunner

All good here now madshi with 0.87.3, thanks again!
Old 27th January 2014, 00:30   #22017  |  Link
Deim0s

madshi,
My problem with 4k video playback (downscaling) was not solved.

If to use the old settings queue:
CPU queue - 16
GPU queue - 8
Win. mode -> backbuffers - 3
MPC-HC all the time crashes.
madVR - log
On version 0.86.11 with these settings work fine (when playback 4k video).

Minimum settings queue needed to MPC-HC did not have crash:
CPU queue - 5
GPU queue - 5
But when you switch from windowed mode to fullscreen still black screen.
madVR - log

Somebody has a problem with downscaling 4k video except me?
Deim0s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th January 2014, 00:44   #22018  |  Link
DarkSpace

Great work on getting back the deinterlacing performance!
Personally, I had assumed that the D3d/OpenCL interaction with DXVA deinterlacing just cost too much time, but now I can disable profiles again and run everything with OpenCL enabled.
In fact, I just made a small test, and even 1080i with image quadrupling works here (just barely, though). Good work!
DarkSpace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th January 2014, 00:55   #22019  |  Link
madshi
Registered Developer

Quote:
It work on 0.86.11, 0.87.1 and 0.87.3. So that good, thanks.

Edit : And work very good. Now, i can activate debanding on 1080i.
Good to hear! Although I'm still not sure why v0.87.2 didn't work for you.

Quote:
All good here now madshi with 0.87.3, thanks again!
Great!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deim0s View Post
madshi,
My problem with 4k video playback (downscaling) was not solved.

If to use the old settings queue:
CPU queue - 16
GPU queue - 8
MPC-HC all the time crashes.
madVR - log
On version 0.86.11 with these settings work fine (when playback 4k video).

Minimum settings queue needed to MPC-HC did not have crash:
CPU queue - 5
GPU queue - 5
But when you switch from windowed mode to fullscreen still black screen.
madVR - log

Somebody has a problem with downscaling 4k video except me?
Which OS, which GPU?

Can you compare RAM consumption with v0.86.11 and v0.87.3 with your hardware/software, when playing back that 4K clip with 5/5/3 queues? Does v0.87.0 consume more RAM than v0.86.11?

According to the log the decoder sends the first 27 frames, and then simply stops. Probably it crashed or something. Might be some sort of "out of memory" problem. But I'm not sure why v0.87.3 would consume so much more memory than v0.86.11...

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkSpace View Post
Great work on getting back the deinterlacing performance!
Personally, I had assumed that the D3d/OpenCL interaction with DXVA deinterlacing just cost too much time, but now I can disable profiles again and run everything with OpenCL enabled.
In fact, I just made a small test, and even 1080i with image quadrupling works here (just barely, though). Good work!
Nice!
Old 27th January 2014, 00:59   #22020  |  Link
Asmodian

I have the same problem, a blank black screen watching 4k video at 2560x1440. I think I have tracked it down.

I reset all settings to default and then changed:
GPU Buffers > 8, I tested using 10-24. This probably changes depending on the card, maybe total video memory?
Full Screen Windowed mode (both the new Win7+ and original, 3-8 back buffers)
Linear light downscaling

If I use FSE, leave the GPU buffers at 8, or do not user LL for downscaling I get a picture. I can toggle the picture black and correct by right clicking to bring up the context window, kicked out of FSE -> black picture, dismiss it so back in FSE -> correct picture.

This is a log from 87.2 where I got a dither failed to create D3D9 surface error going into Full Screen Windowed. I cannot remember the exact wording and I just get a blank screen with 87.3.
MadVR - log.7z
madVR_87.3 - log.7z

Running 3770K, SLI GTX Titans driver version 332.21.
using 4k_QHD_RoastDuck_30p.mp4 test video.
edit: Windows 8.1

With LL downscaling and 24 GPU buffers (3 back buffers FSW, 8 frames in advance FSE) I see 1594MB of video ram used when in FSE and 1704MB of video ram used when in FSW (black).
If I turn down GPU buffers to 10 (back buffers 8) when in FSW I get 1266 MB used without LL (correct picture) or 1351 MB used with LL (black picture).

Last edited by Asmodian; 27th January 2014 at 01:43.
Asmodian is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
direct compute, dithering, error diffusion, madvr, ngu, nnedi3, quality, renderer, scaling, uhd upscaling, upsampling