Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > (HD) DVD, Blu-ray & (S)VCD > (HD) DVD & Blu-ray authoring

Old 30th January 2012, 14:21   #1  |  Link
s_i

Import speed of scenarist

I am trying to create a scenario using 2,500 menus in scenarist by importing the scenarist script file. I takes around 4hours to completely import the script file. I am not able to understand why is it taking so much of time. How can I decrease the time to import the script file? I need to create a scenario containing 16,000 menus in a vts but cannot wait for more than a day for scenarist to successfully import the script file. All the menus are in PAL resolution. I am using Windows 7 having 8GB of RAM.
s_i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th January 2012, 14:27   #2  |  Link
mp3dom

If you check the 'Suppress Information Warning' (or something similar, during the scenario import) you can speedup the importing process a bit. Anyway, please look closely before starting, because there are limitations on how many PGC/Programs/Cells you can have in a single VTS!
mp3dom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th January 2012, 15:21   #3  |  Link
s_i

Thank you mp3dom. But is there some other way to fasten the importing process besides the one you mentioned? I want it to be more quicker.
Old 30th January 2012, 16:26   #4  |  Link
mp3dom

I don't know other ways to speedup the process apart the classical suggestions (use fast raid5 drives, defrag the HDD and so on...)
mp3dom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th January 2012, 21:16   #5  |  Link
rik1138

This is a serious problem with Scenarist SD... I used to work for a company that did a lot of DVD trivia games, and would import HUGE scripts with thousands of PGCs, like what you are doing. They actually used several of the really old SGI versions of Scenarist for these games because you could import these huge scripts in a couple of hours on the SGIs...

They did some testing with the Windows version, and found that it would, literally, take DAYS to import. We just left one going one time over a weekend, and it still wasn't finished Monday morning. It did, eventually, finish but it was determined that we couldn't spend 3+ days waiting for a script to import, so we just kept going with the SGIs...

Also, more than half of the import tests would crash after a day or two. Scenarist (Windows) just isn't designed to handle this... (You can actually run into problems with Scenarist crashing a lot if you just start building projects this big... I think it might have been a memory issue.)

Are you using the newest version? I suppose there's the chance they've sped something up... This was about 3 years ago I think, still using 32-bit Windows limited to 4GB of memory. Might not be as much of an issue on a 64-bit OS.

At the time we were testing this, they (Sonic) had a command-line version of Scenarist just for importing scripts and turning them into Scenarist project files. This was much faster, but it still on the order of a day or more for the one that took a little over 3 days to import normally. I don't think it's something Sonic still develops, and probably wouldn't work with the newer version of Scenarist anyway, but you might ask them about it... I can't remember what it was called though...
rik1138 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd February 2012, 13:11   #6  |  Link
s_i

Thanks for your reply rik1138

Tags
import, menus, scenarist, script, time