Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Hardware & Software > Software players

Old 4th April 2021, 17:43   #61381  |  Link
Dogway

Does anyone have madVRhdrMeasure84? I want to test the profiles I measured with HDRDynamicOptimizer but they don't seem to work on v113, or v86 which are the oldest I have. Couldn't find a link in Internet Archive either.
Dogway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th April 2021, 11:29   #61382  |  Link
tp4tissue

Stumbled on some old stuff, it's interlaced. What's the latest wisdom on this, use nvidia deinterlace or yadif? What's top dawg deinterlacer these days.?
Old 5th April 2021, 12:26   #61383  |  Link
jkauff

How much "old stuff" are you dealing with? If there's not a lot of it and you have a fast CPU, the best thing to do would be to run the stuff through Handbrake using the Decomb filter to make it progressive. I've found Decomb to be an excellent de-interlacing algorithm.

If you don't use D3D11 for decoding in LAV, you can deinterlace in madVR.
jkauff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th April 2021, 03:52   #61384  |  Link
tp4tissue

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkauff View Post
How much "old stuff" are you dealing with? If there's not a lot of it and you have a fast CPU, the best thing to do would be to run the stuff through Handbrake using the Decomb filter to make it progressive. I've found Decomb to be an excellent de-interlacing algorithm.

If you don't use D3D11 for decoding in LAV, you can deinterlace in madVR.
Is there a way to do lossless ?
Old 6th April 2021, 06:50   #61385  |  Link
huhn

yes nvidia deint which is a realtime frame adaptive deinterlancer.
"IVTC"/"decomb" is a basic feature of this algorithm.

if the file is telecine not interlaced IVTC in madVR would be even better.

this here is a contender or best deinterlacer: http://avisynth.nl/index.php/QTGMC
obviously not lossless except if you are fine with 100GB+ files.
huhn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th April 2021, 06:53   #61386  |  Link
phoenixxl

Quote:
Originally Posted by tp4tissue View Post
Stumbled on some old stuff, it's interlaced. What's the latest wisdom on this, use nvidia deinterlace or yadif? What's top dawg deinterlacer these days.?
Also, make sure it's interlaced and not telecine'd media.

you will notice this by every Xth fame having a duplicate if you go frame by frame.

Plenty of IVTC filters in avisynth for example.

as for deinterlacing I usually go for options that double the play speed, keep full resolution and update the odd scanlines on odd frames and the even scanlines on even frames.
phoenixxl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th April 2021, 06:58   #61387  |  Link
phoenixxl

Madvr/mpc-hc unable to go to fullscreen exclusive mode when Direct3D 11 is used for presentation. Direct3D9 seems to still work fine.

Nvidia driver version where I noticed it:
Version I used before 460.79.

If it's only me .. *shrug*
If I find something that fixes it , ill add to this.
phoenixxl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th April 2021, 01:59   #61388  |  Link
brazen1

I installed 465.89 to test the post above ^. D3D11 with and without FSE using 465.89 and MPC-BE with madVR v0.92.17 is ok here.

Last edited by brazen1; 8th April 2021 at 16:11.
brazen1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th April 2021, 23:19   #61389  |  Link
Mordred

I've got a weird situation where I have an 1080p 60fps file that MadVR reports as 25fps. Any idea why this might be happening?

Mediainfo:

MadVR:
Mordred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th April 2021, 00:24   #61390  |  Link
el Filou

"(says source filter)" would tend to indicate that it gets that information from upstream.
What does playing with EVR do?
Would you have any IVTC enabled in the decoder by any chance? I just watched some motorsport video from YouTube encoded with 1:1:1:1:2 cadence, sometimes you see some weird stuff.
Old 10th April 2021, 01:15   #61391  |  Link
Mordred

Quote:
Originally Posted by el Filou View Post
"(says source filter)" would tend to indicate that it gets that information from upstream.
What does playing with EVR do?
Would you have any IVTC enabled in the decoder by any chance? I just watched some motorsport video from YouTube encoded with 1:1:1:1:2 cadence, sometimes you see some weird stuff.
No IVTC, but I think you helped me track down the issue and I think it might be a bug?

EVR's media info showed this:
Code:
Frame rate mode                : Constant
Frame rate                     : 59.940 (60000/1001) FPS
Original frame rate            : 25.000 FPS
What I'm unsure of is what that Original Frame rate means. My guess is interpolation was used to go from 25-60. EVR has no problem playing it back at 60fps, and it certainly looks a lot smoother than 24/25fps content.

Whatever the cause, it seems like madVR shouldn't be keying off that original frame rate value though.
Old 10th April 2021, 02:59   #61392  |  Link
Asmodian

How do you know there isn't any IVTC?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mordred View Post
Whatever the cause, it seems like madVR shouldn't be keying off that original frame rate value though.
madVR keys off whatever the source filter tells it. In this case the source filter says the video is 25 fps.

Are you using hardware decoding? Perhaps the GPU is doing IVTC?
Old 10th April 2021, 07:58   #61393  |  Link
Mordred

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asmodian View Post
How do you know there isn't any IVTC?

madVR keys off whatever the source filter tells it. In this case the source filter says the video is 25 fps.

Are you using hardware decoding? Perhaps the GPU is doing IVTC?
Okay, I think I might understand a little more now, but I'm certainly not an expert on this stuff. Upstream in this case is the LAV Video Decoder then.

Yes, LAV is using my GTX 1660 for decoding. Is there any way to tell if IVTC is happening? It makes sense that that's what would be going on given the 25fps original source. Why would hardware vs. software matter? If IVTC is going on, can it be disabled?

Honestly it looks better in VLC and MPC-HC with EVR because of the 60fps.

Last edited by Mordred; 10th April 2021 at 08:01.
Old 11th April 2021, 01:12   #61394  |  Link
Asmodian

Try switching to software decoding in LAV, GPU hardware automatically does whatever it thinks it should.

You can tell if the hardware is doing IVTC if it returns fewer frames than you sent it.
Old 11th April 2021, 21:20   #61395  |  Link
el Filou

Is it an mkv? If it is then maybe you can try to edit it with MKVToolNix to change or remove the "original framerate" tag with the header editor.
It could be a transcode where the original was 25 and it was reencoded to 60, with interpolation or with pulldown. What kind of source is it (film, TV, computer gaming, animation)?
If you frame skip in MPC by pausing then pressing Ctrl+right arrow, are some frames repeated or blurred?
Old 12th April 2021, 09:34   #61396  |  Link
huhn

you could change/add to the name FPS=60. that may work.
the frame rate can be stored at different parts of a file and a splitter/decoder has to choice one.
Old 13th April 2021, 22:21   #61397  |  Link
NDUS

I have a two-monitor setup, main monitor 240hz (BenQ XL2540) second monitor 60hz (Dell S2721QS) (or - in Windows advanced display settings, actually 59.997)

When I play content on the second monitor, ctrl-J correctly shows 60hz, then after a few seconds the video hitches and it switches to 240hz (causing hundreds of presentation glitches per second ofc.)
It's the same duration before this happens every time.
If I swap the player between monitors, it will correctly take each monitor's refresh rate.
But then if it's left on the 60hz monitor it will have this problem after a few seconds.

Is it potentially related to the fact that the 60hz monitor has no "standard mode" according to MadVR?

^ 240hz monitor

^ 60hz monitor

I screwed around with every automatic display rate switching setting in MadVR and MPC-HC to no avail.
Trying to set up custom modes on the 60hz monitor did nothing - most of the modes worked during the test, but remained permanently in "OS isn't aware of this mode yet!" after reboots.

FWIW my 60hz monitor is in flipped portrait mode

Any ideas? Kind of want to lobotomize myself after messing with this for an hour.

Last edited by NDUS; 13th April 2021 at 22:25.
NDUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th April 2021, 00:37   #61398  |  Link
huhn

windows has major problems with two refreshrates (they are working on that for some time now).

you should try windows 7 overlay rendering if you have an nvidia GPU this doesn't care about about the refreshrate of the desktop and totally avoids these issues where a composition rate mismatch can happen.
Old 14th April 2021, 07:45   #61399  |  Link
NDUS

Quote:
Originally Posted by huhn View Post
windows has major problems with two refreshrates (they are working on that for some time now).

you should try windows 7 overlay rendering if you have an nvidia GPU this doesn't care about about the refreshrate of the desktop and totally avoids these issues where a composition rate mismatch can happen.
I gave it a try (windowed overlay) - sadly no dice, same issue happens. I have a 1070 and am using Win10.
NDUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th April 2021, 07:48   #61400  |  Link
Mordred

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asmodian View Post
Try switching to software decoding in LAV, GPU hardware automatically does whatever it thinks it should.

You can tell if the hardware is doing IVTC if it returns fewer frames than you sent it.
Ha. I disabled hardware decoding in LAV. Still getting 25fps in MadVR. Here's the crazy thing. I noticed I was getting massively dropped frames for no reason, and then I did the math. MadVR is reporting 35 dropped frames every second... or 60fps minus the 25 it is showing. The video seems extra stuttery in comparison to normal 24fps content which typically looks pretty good. Weird stuff.

Quote:
Originally Posted by el Filou View Post
Is it an mkv? If it is then maybe you can try to edit it with MKVToolNix to change or remove the "original framerate" tag with the header editor.
It could be a transcode where the original was 25 and it was reencoded to 60, with interpolation or with pulldown. What kind of source is it (film, TV, computer gaming, animation)?
If you frame skip in MPC by pausing then pressing Ctrl+right arrow, are some frames repeated or blurred?
It's an MP4 unfortunately. Source is web video. It's by an American content creator though so why the "original" would have ever been 25fps makes absolutely no sense.

I stepped through it in MPC, there appear to be 60 true frames per second, nothing blurred or repeated. So either it was interpolated rather well, or that "Original Frame Rate" value of 25 is just completely bogus.

Tags
direct compute, dithering, error diffusion, madvr, ngu, nnedi3, quality, renderer, scaling, uhd upscaling, upsampling