Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > (HD) DVD, Blu-ray & (S)VCD > DVD & BD Rebuilder

Old 12th September 2014, 12:56   #21061  |  Link
daberti

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdobbs View Post
I can think of no reason why the speed would change mid-encoding. It may be possible that there was some high level of complexity in the first 30%, but that's unlikely. It's more likely it is something other than BD-RB/X264. Perhaps some background process was running on your PC?
I cross-checked, no antivirus, closed Dropbox, maybe it is just related to this very movie (No Capre No Glory). And maybe it is peculiar of Alternate.
I will encode Once Upon A Time In America later, to see what happens and will let you know.
daberti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th September 2014, 14:30   #21062  |  Link
jdobbs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lathe View Post
Thanks for letting me know. Unfortunately my comp DID crash during the encode last night, so I don't have the specs; but, I will carefully check it out when I try again.
You weren't, by chance, encoding a DVD import and resizing it, were you? I noticed something odd early today in TSMUXER that could (very rarely, I'd guess) cause it to detect a 480i/29.97 source as 480p/29.97 (it might also happen on 576i/25, but I haven't seen it). That caused an encode failure on a source I tried. Interestingly TSMUXER lists it at 480i -- but sets the MPLS as 480p/29.97 (which is illegal for a BD primary source). I've added a workaround that will be included in the next release of BD-RB.

Last edited by jdobbs; 12th September 2014 at 14:36.
jdobbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th September 2014, 14:49   #21063  |  Link
daberti

Quote:
You weren't, by chance, encoding a DVD import and resizing it, were you? I noticed something odd early today in TSMUXER that could (very rarely, I'd guess) cause it to detect a 480i/29.97 source as 480p/29.97 (it might also happen on 576i/25, but I haven't seen it). That caused an encode failure on a source I tried. Interestingly TSMUXER lists it at 480i -- but sets the MPLS as 480p/29.97 (which is illegal for a BD primary source). I've added a workaround that will be included in the next release of BD-RB.
By no means I were JD.
Source was BD, No Capre No Glory, as I mentioned earlier.

Wait..wait..Holy Crap..Exactly where it started to get faster no more video is present, just audio and a black screen
Source is 1080p destination is the same.

Last edited by daberti; 12th September 2014 at 14:52.
Old 12th September 2014, 15:05   #21064  |  Link
Capsbackup

Quote:
Originally Posted by daberti View Post
Wait..wait..Holy Crap..Exactly where it started to get faster no more video is present, just audio and a black screen
Source is 1080p destination is the same.
Possible a bad rip!
Check your source where you think the location of it going to black screen.
Capsbackup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th September 2014, 15:31   #21065  |  Link
jdobbs

A note for everyone:

I'm hoping to include an ALTERNATE output capability to HEVC (H.265) in the next release. It will work only to MKV. I think it will be a good alternative for creating high-quality backups of BD movies, while using significantly less space. In order to support it in the way I hope, you will need a Directshow filter that supports H.265. This link points to an installer for the libde265 directshow filter. I tested it (a little) and it will play back an H.265 MKV via Media Player Classic (found in the BD-RB TOOLS\MPC folder). More information on the project and the filter are available here and here.

Last edited by jdobbs; 12th September 2014 at 16:54.
Old 12th September 2014, 15:46   #21066  |  Link
omegaman7

H.265 eh? JDobbs! You're amazing Donation time Go by yourself breakfast, lunch, a movie, whichever you desire
Old 12th September 2014, 16:47   #21067  |  Link
daberti

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capsbackup View Post
Possible a bad rip!
Check your source where you think the location of it going to black screen.
Rip is perfect mate.
The funny thing is that the very same encoding done via same options but MULTIPROCESS=1 as hidden option did the things right
Old 12th September 2014, 16:52   #21068  |  Link
jdobbs

Quote:
Rip is perfect mate.
The funny thing is that the very same encoding done via same options but MULTIPROCESS=1 as hidden option did the things right
I assume you are using Directshow? Maybe it was interrupted during the split. Try it again, from scratch with MULTIPROCESS=2 (or whatever you were using), and let me know how it comes out.
Old 12th September 2014, 17:04   #21069  |  Link
jdobbs

Quote:
Originally Posted by omegaman7 View Post
H.265 eh? JDobbs! You're amazing Donation time Go by yourself breakfast, lunch, a movie, whichever you desire
Thanks. I'm doing testing now using SSIM to try and determine the relationship between CRF values for each encoder (X264 & X265). There'll also have to be a conversion to H.264 if importing HEVC to make it compatible with BD (at least until they finalize H.265 support)... but I do that now with a DIVX or MPEG-4 sources, so it shouldn't be a big deal. I just have to do it as lossless as possible while keeping a reasonable interim size.

Last edited by jdobbs; 12th September 2014 at 17:07.
Old 12th September 2014, 17:07   #21070  |  Link
HWK

Quote:
A note for everyone:
... In order to support it in the way I hope, you will need a Directshow filter that supports H.265. This link points to an installer for the libde265 directshow filter. I tested it (a little) and it will play back an H.265 MKV via Media Player Classic (found in the BD-RB TOOLS\MPC folder). More information on the project and the filter are available here and here.
Media player classic home cinema also support hevc playback, however it doesn't depend on filters.

Tsmuxer also handle hevc and output could be m2ts or others.
Old 12th September 2014, 17:09   #21071  |  Link
jdobbs

Quote:
Originally Posted by HWK View Post
Media player classic home cinema also support hevc playback, however it doesn't depend on filters.

Tsmuxer also handle hevc and output could be m2ts or others.
Hmm... I'll have to try the Directshow filter I'm using, but I don't think has the ability to demux from M2TS. Of course that wouldn't prevent another type of playback... but for now I'll probably limit it to MKV.
Old 12th September 2014, 17:20   #21072  |  Link
HWK

Quote:
Hmm... I'll have to try the Directshow filter I'm using, but I don't think has the ability to demux from M2TS. Of course that wouldn't prevent another type of playback... but for now I'll probably limit it to MKV.
Yes, it can. I recently ran test just for you.

Last edited by HWK; 12th September 2014 at 17:25.
HWK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th September 2014, 17:31   #21073  |  Link
daberti

Quote:
I assume you are using Directshow? Maybe it was interrupted during the split. Try it again, from scratch with MULTIPROCESS=2 (or whatever you were using), and let me know how it comes out.
I'm trying again.
I'm doing ALTERNATE so Directshow should be used anyway.

1)without MULTIPROCESS
2)with multiprocess=1

Will tell you later.

BTW: H265 in next release? you rule

Edit:
Without Multiprocess: same failure if 1080p. If i choose to resize to 720p there is no issue. Mmmmhh..I begin thinking something......so I'm changin a setting to verify my ideas.

Edit
Yes, I was right. JD, you told me that ALTERNATE switches on FFDshow for frame serving even if LAVF is On. Yet something is going wrong.
If I resize to 720p LAVF is disabled and all goes good.
If I use MULTIPROCESS LAVF is disabled at any HD resolution, ditto as above.
If I leave LAVF on and I don't choose DirectShow Frame Serving (leaving LAVF on) the problem arise.

Last edited by daberti; 12th September 2014 at 20:31.
Old 12th September 2014, 17:33   #21074  |  Link
HWK

Quote:
I'm trying again.

1)without MULTIPROCESS
2)with multiprocess=1

Will tell you later.

Hail to Jdobbs , seriously this is great step forward. However don't get too confident I did few 1080P sources to H.265 and they take their sweet time.
Old 12th September 2014, 18:49   #21075  |  Link
daberti

Quote:
Hail to Jdobbs , seriously this is great step forward. However don't get too confident I did few 1080P sources to H.265 and they take their sweet time.
Yeah, I did some test as well...takes quite some time to encode
Old 12th September 2014, 18:51   #21076  |  Link
HWK

Which version of H.265 encoder did you use and what was your source clip?

I am using one located here http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?t=168814

Last edited by HWK; 12th September 2014 at 18:53.
HWK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th September 2014, 20:22   #21077  |  Link
daberti

Quote:
Which version of H.265 encoder did you use and what was your source clip?

I am using one located here http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?t=168814
The same shipped with Handbrake nightly build HandBrake-svn6391_x86_64-Win_GUI.exe

Source clip was the same I'm encoding these days: No Capre No Glory (BD)
Old 12th September 2014, 21:47   #21078  |  Link
jdobbs

Quote:
I'm trying again.

1)without MULTIPROCESS
2)with multiprocess=1

Will tell you later.

Edit:
Without Multiprocess: same failure if 1080p. If i choose to resize to 720p there is no issue. Mmmmhh..I begin thinking something......so I'm changin a setting to verify my ideas.

Edit
Yes, I was right. JD, you told me that ALTERNATE switches on FFDshow for frame serving even if LAVF is On. Yet something is going wrong.
If I resize to 720p LAVF is disabled and all goes good.
If I use MULTIPROCESS LAVF is disabled at any HD resolution, ditto as above.
If I leave LAVF on and I don't choose DirectShow Frame Serving (leaving LAVF on) the problem arise.
Ok. I'll test with LAVF set and output to ALTERNATE. Which ALTERNATE preset did you use? Better yet, post your log on the one that failed.
Old 12th September 2014, 23:49   #21079  |  Link
soneca

Cool, this is a great addition to BDRB, but while I do not change my media players, I do not care HEVC.
soneca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th September 2014, 02:03   #21080  |  Link
Lathe

Quote:
It would be a good idea to install a temperature monitoring sw like CoreTemp.
It also has Temperature limiting features.

@JD
I've noticed that with CRF elapsed a certain amount of time the X264 encoding speed greatly improves.
I suspect the first 30% or alike is done before speed increase.
Could you please explain?

Thanks
Thanks! I do have an on board monitor that keeps track of all the temperatures and such. They seem fine; I even stuck a big fan on the side, blowing in on the MOBO and CPU, thinking that might help also. I sure don't know; very odd... I've got the guy who built it though and he is pretty sharp, so I just need to drag it over there. I will do what JD said though and give it a good cleaning.

As far as the speed of encoding goes, it is SO dang weird now. I have absolutely NO idea what changed, but now encodes (using LAVF like I always do) take like twice as long (12 hours instead of 6) I'm pretty sure everything is the same and it LOOKS like I am topping out my CPU while encoding too. Most odd... I even used version 4707 just as a momentary test comparison, just to start it and see how fast it was going, but it appeared to be about the same as the newer version. I can't for the life of me figure out WHAT has changed. Oh well, at least it is getting done, and I guess if I INSIST on using these x264 tweaks (the same ones I've always used on demanding encodes) I'm just gonna hafta live with it taking longer. I can tell immediately that the fps are a lot slower than they were before. I'll play around with it and see if I am indeed missing something. But, I AM glad that the program is working and doing an excellent job though!
Lathe is offline   Reply With Quote