Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Capturing and Editing Video > New and alternative a/v containers

Old 10th October 2010, 18:43   #1  |  Link
Chebwa
Cloud Denier

VOB to MP4 container WITHOUT encoding?

Here's the rundown:

1. I ripped some DVDs to my hard drive. I used VOBMerge to merge together all of the VOB files into one large VOB (no more messy VIDEO_TS folder).

2. The files can be played, skipped around in, and work without any gaps or pauses in both VLC and MPC-HC. However, the files are a disaster in Windows Media Center (it doesn't see subtitles and doesn't know how long they are, so no FFing or jumping).

3. The subtitle and audio tracks are now unlabeled and confusing in all players.

Now, I posted asking about an easy demuxing application for these VOBs in another thread (http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.ph...78#post1449078) and someone suggested that I put them into an MKV container. I didn't know you could do this without encoding it all over again.

My question now is, is there any way to stick these VOBs into an MP4 container instead? And if so, what steps and applications should I use to get the files to that point?

Thanks much in advance for any help you can offer me!
Chebwa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th October 2010, 08:55   #2  |  Link
Ghitulescu

What has Windows Media Center that VLC and MPC-HC have not?
And why you insist on MP4 when you just found out that MKV does the trick?
Ghitulescu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th October 2010, 20:24   #3  |  Link
Chebwa
Cloud Denier

"What has Windows Media Center that VLC and MPC-HC have not?"

Ease of use. When I have family or friends over who don't know how to navigate their way around my folder hierarchies, as well as zoom or stretch the video as necessary and enable/disable subtitles or audio streams, I'd like to just turn on WMC with its simplistic look and colorful interface and let them enjoy it.

"And why you insist on MP4 when you just found out that MKV does the trick?"

For consistency's sake.
Chebwa is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
container, encode, mp4, subtitles, vobmerge