Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Hardware & Software > Software players

Old 6th June 2010, 17:53   #3001  |  Link

Quote:
Originally Posted by madshi View Post
You mean "flush & wait (loop)" works better for you for "after render steps" than the default "flush" setting? In which way does it work better? Can you describe the improvement a bit more detailed, please?
I meant to say that was testing with Lanczos4 which is too slow for my 9400M.

I thought that testing with an algorithm that is too slow for the GPU would help in finding what flush settings are fastest because any improvement is obvious. It would be nice if there was some kind of standard benchmark though.

Did more testing after reading your other posts. It still plays smoother but I didnt noticed the CPU use. Explains why I was getting pops & clicks in the audio.

Dont flush
Flush & wait (sleep)
flush
dont
dont

seems tobe working well.

Last edited by 6233638; 6th June 2010 at 18:12.
6233638 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th June 2010, 18:31   #3002  |  Link
ajp_anton

(About the green bar at the top)

Quote:
Thanks. But what is your HTPC setup? And especially: What is your decoder and splitter? On a quick check your sample plays fine for me. Whenever there are problems with specific video samples, I always need the decoder and splitter setup.
i7 920
HD 4850
Win 7 x64
MPC-HC 2010
Internal decoder & splitter

I just updated MPC-HC. Previously the green bar was the only problem. Now the video won't start if I start MPC-HC by double-clicking the video. I have to first start the player and then the video. Only with madVR.
Green bar is still there.
ajp_anton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th June 2010, 18:55   #3003  |  Link
madshi
Registered Developer

madVR 0.17 released

http://madshi.net/madVR.zip

Code:
* fixed: problem with very slow NVidia drivers, once again
* improved compatibility with some weird behaving decoders
Hope you guys won't expect 4 new madVR versions every weekend now!
madshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th June 2010, 18:57   #3004  |  Link
brokenmind

thanks a lot for the new version...

GPU: ATI Radeon HD3650
Aero: off
Player: Zoom Player + Reclock (vsync off)
Display resolution + refresh rate:
- 1st monitor: LCD 1280x1024 @ 75Hz
- 2nd monitor: (extended desktop) LCD-TV 1280x720 @ 50Hz

Quote:
Originally Posted by midiboy View Post
[...] Playback in ZP will not start ... video stays at 00:00, ZP shows a black screen [...]
If I then try to press stop after like 5 minutes of waiting for the video to appear, ZP sometimes becomes unresponsive.
I too see the problem of starting playback with ZP but I can hunt it down to windowed mode only. If playback is started from fullscreen (and player started prior to hitting 'play') everything seem to work out....

anyway, playback seems much smother now - especially no more stuttering (as with v0.13) on second screen with content beeing played at a not exact multiple of refresh rate.
seeking also improved, however, I find random hangs when trying to open several files in a row or windowed mode, but not constantly reproducible yet..
this is with default settings, I still have to do some more testing...

edit: *damn* this report is with v0.16 ... you are indeed too fast madshi....
brokenmind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th June 2010, 19:08   #3005  |  Link
ajp_anton

All problems fixed. Thanks! =)
The only "issue" is that when switching between windowed and FS, the AR change with the black bars is a little slow (screen and video have different ARs). Started a few versions ago...

Last edited by ajp_anton; 6th June 2010 at 19:11.
ajp_anton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th June 2010, 19:38   #3006  |  Link
kostik

THANKSSS works great
kostik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th June 2010, 19:39   #3007  |  Link
Razoola

thanks for new release, no problems to report so far.
Razoola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th June 2010, 19:50   #3008  |  Link
leeperry
Kid for Today

so far I still prefer 0.16 over 0.17...going FS>windowed is a bit laggy now(it's so amazingly smooth in 0.16) and it seems to lose the AR somehow during the transition, and it doesn't look as smooth as 0.16 from what I can see

But I'll run more tests.
leeperry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th June 2010, 19:55   #3009  |  Link
madshi
Registered Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by leeperry View Post
so far I still prefer 0.16 over 0.17...going FS>windowed is a bit laggy now(it's so amazingly smooth in 0.16) and it seems to lose the AR somehow during the transition, and it doesn't look as smooth as 0.16 from what I can see
I've not changed that much between 0.16 and 0.17. Most changes are related to better decoder support (green lines, distorted image, crashes etc). I don't really see which of my changes could result in the problems you're reporting. In theory 0.17 should behave no different in terms of smoothness and FS>windowed switching compared to 0.16.
Old 6th June 2010, 19:58   #3010  |  Link
leeperry
Kid for Today

Quote:
I've not changed that much between 0.16 and 0.17. Most changes are related to better decoder support (green lines, distorted image, crashes etc). I don't really see which of my changes could result in the problems you're reporting. In theory 0.17 should behave no different in terms of smoothness and FS>windowed switching compared to 0.16.
I've compared them many times, going FS>windowed is smoother in 0.16 and getting buttersmooth video seems far easier w/ Reclock...I have to reseek many more times in 0.17, 0.16 is so effortless
leeperry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th June 2010, 20:08   #3011  |  Link
Thunderbolt8

im not entirely sure, but could it be possible that madVR sometimes produces a very thin line at the top of the picture, right below the black bars? (e.g. with AR 2.35)? had this minor kind of irritation as can be seen on the US BD of minority report which was not present with EVR any more.

madVR017 left, EVR, right

not exactly same frame, but doesnt need to be, as it is present throughout the whole scene.

Last edited by Thunderbolt8; 6th June 2010 at 20:19.
Thunderbolt8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th June 2010, 20:08   #3012  |  Link
nlnl

Mpc HC (Haali mkv spliter) + ATI 5400 (10.5) + Vista 32 + Aero on + 0.17 + monitor 1080p@23 (single)

No freezing when starting playback!!!
Thank you Madshi very much!
Very very smooth!
nlnl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th June 2010, 20:21   #3013  |  Link
ryrynz

No fullscreen lag here with 0.17 on a Radeon 4890 and Radeon 4850 running windows 7, operating exactly as they did with 0.16. I have macrovision fail with 0.17 with R4 DVDs of Snakes On A Plane and Gladiator and perhaps many others.

Last edited by ryrynz; 6th June 2010 at 20:44.
ryrynz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th June 2010, 20:48   #3014  |  Link
madshi
Registered Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by leeperry View Post
I've compared them many times, going FS>windowed is smoother in 0.16 and getting buttersmooth video seems far easier w/ Reclock...I have to reseek many more times in 0.17, 0.16 is so effortless
I've just again compared the sources between 0.16 and 0.17, and I don't see how there can be a difference...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thunderbolt8 View Post
im not entirely sure, but could it be possible that madVR sometimes produces a very thin line at the top of the picture, right below the black bars?
That depends on the scaling algorithm. If you scale by using Lanczos, you'll get that kind of ringing artifact. If it bothers you, use a different scaling algorithm. E.g. Mitchell shouldn't ring (much). It's not as sharp as Lanczos, though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nlnl View Post
No freezing when starting playback!!!
Thank you Madshi very much!
Very very smooth!
Glad to hear that!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryrynz View Post
I have macrovision fail with 0.17
That's a known problem, haven't had time to look into that yet.
Old 6th June 2010, 21:02   #3015  |  Link

Quote:
Hope you guys won't expect 4 new madVR versions every weekend now!
One is fine. Seems to be working well so far.

Maybe the numbers are wrong, but:
dont flush
flush & wait (sleep)
flush
dont flush
dont flush

Shows the best times for me in the HUD compared to the default if they're right.
6233638 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th June 2010, 21:50   #3016  |  Link
Grafisher
Developer

Quote:
Your GPU is *painfully* slow with reporting scanline information. I'll have this worked around in the next build. But I'm not happy about NVidia drivers being so bad in this aspect.
Works fine in 0.17. Thanks a bunch!
Grafisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th June 2010, 22:23   #3017  |  Link
janos666

Woow. It is interesting. I wrote it earlier that I could not see any changes when I disabled the default GPU flushing settings. And I still didn't noticed anything when I randomly played with these options.
Now, I set everything to "flush and wait (loop)" in v0.17 and it feels like I have a display at 72/96/120Hz or I applied some FRC filter with motion interpolation. (I played with some AviSynth plugins but they never worked well enough.)

I can not see any significant increase in CPU load, core0 isn't peaks at 100% and the overall load is ~25% (with 1080p24 source). GPU load is negligible (it shows 0% with some little peaks around 8% but my GPU clocks are always peaks at 775Mhz now - not a real problem for me, I have passive water cooling...)
Other settings: 3DLUT enabled (with gamut correction only), Spline64 resize (all 3), everything else unchecked.
Software: Windows 7 x64, MPC-HC 1.3.1906.0, FFDShow 3463 (custom icl11 build) without any filters (expect subtitle renderer), madVR 0.17
Hardware: HD5850 with 8.74 beta driver (more than 2 month old, but this is the latest leaked build at this time), Q6600 @ 3600Mhz, DVI attached monitor at 1920x1200@60Hz

I won't care about 72/96/120 Hz support anymore. (At least until I will be brainwashed that I need an LCD shutter glass and 3D - not until we get some PC monitor with IPS panel at 120Hz with a reasonable price. So, not in the "not so far as you think future". )

It is very funny if I think about the fact that it should have been working like this from the very beginning (but, at least with Vista and EVR...).

If you would remove these settings from the control panel then leave the switches in the settings.ini

Last edited by janos666; 6th June 2010 at 22:32.
janos666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th June 2010, 22:23   #3018  |  Link
Hypernova

Update: I take that(below) back. The play&pause only solve the problem for only 3-5 seconds. After that, it stutter again.

I don't know if this is different from 0.16, but with 0.17, it is possible to get no stuttering with only "flush & wait (sleep)" for "after render steps" as oppose to (loop) in my setup (don't flush on anything else). The thing that mess it up is when I skip around the file. Most of the time this will introduce stuttering, but can be eliminated by pause and then play again. If I use loop, there is no need for this. I would say I prefer to have the loop option though. Even after pause&play, it seems like this still is a little bit of stuttering, but I might just seeing things there.

Hope this sounds good. Thanks again for great release, madshi.

Info:
(1) ATi 3870 with 512mb ram
(2) Windows Server 2008 R2
(3) Aero on
(4) 2560x1600 + 60Hz (madVR stat say ~59.80).
(5) Single monitor setup.

Last edited by Hypernova; 6th June 2010 at 22:30.
Hypernova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th June 2010, 23:54   #3019  |  Link
iSeries

Is there a way to restore all the settings to default? I messed around with the flush settings so much I can't remember what the defaults were!
iSeries is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th June 2010, 00:06   #3020  |  Link
LoRd_MuldeR
Software Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by iSeries View Post
Is there a way to restore all the settings to default? I messed around with the flush settings so much I can't remember what the defaults were!
Simply delete the "settings.ini" from your MadVR folder. Anyway, a "reset to defaults" button would be handy!

Tags
direct compute, dithering, error diffusion, madvr, ngu, nnedi3, quality, renderer, scaling, uhd upscaling, upsampling