Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > (HD) DVD, Blu-ray & (S)VCD > (HD) DVD & Blu-ray authoring

Old 18th February 2014, 18:22   #7741  |  Link
ddepuemd

Philips Blur-Ray player not working

After adding in three separate DVDs into a single BD disk with multi, it works fine on my PC. But, it loads in my Philips player and says Menu on the front but I don't see anything on the TV. Am I donig something wrong? Pressing play on the player does nothing too.

Thanks for a wonderful product if I can get it working!
ddepuemd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th February 2014, 19:54   #7742  |  Link
HWK

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddepuemd View Post
After adding in three separate DVDs into a single BD disk with multi, it works fine on my PC. But, it loads in my Philips player and says Menu on the front but I don't see anything on the TV. Am I doing something wrong? Pressing play on the player does nothing too.

Thanks for a wonderful product if I can get it working!
First thing I would check if you can see something on TV, if there is no-disc inside. Most likely it would logo of manufacturer of player or similar.

Also check if your player support type of disc you have inserted. Example some player picky about file structure and some are picky about disc and some are picky about both.

Also can you post info about files using media info from files on disc, not from hard drive and post it here.
Old 18th February 2014, 21:54   #7743  |  Link
ddepuemd

What do you mean by media info from disk? The disk plays fine in my PC with a BD drive and I can see the menu and choose the movie to play just fine. The Philips BD player works for everything else, even the DVDs I've burned. The player sees the disk as a BD disk, says so on the front panel, and then says menu. But there is nothing on the TV and the controls for the player do nothing.
Old 18th February 2014, 22:51   #7744  |  Link
HWK

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddepuemd View Post
What do you mean by media info from disk? The disk plays fine in my PC with a BD drive and I can see the menu and choose the movie to play just fine. The Philips BD player works for everything else, even the DVDs I've burned. The player sees the disk as a BD disk, says so on the front panel, and then says menu. But there is nothing on the TV and the controls for the player do nothing.
Is your screen black, similar to when TV is off?

Also by menu which one you are referring. Menu created by multiavchd or player menu.

Also most player will not play AVCHD with menu on them. You need to check that as well.
Old 19th February 2014, 08:23   #7745  |  Link
ddepuemd

Yes, the screen is blank, like when the TV is off, but if I hit the eject button the player menu pops up. I am refering to the menu created with the software. I have it set to create a top menu, carousel style, along with opo-up and title list. I'm not sure if this player will play the AVCHD menus. Is there a way to find out?
Old 19th February 2014, 12:50   #7746  |  Link
Music Fan

Just make an AVCHD with a short title and without menu, it will be created quickly, burn it on a dvd-rw then see if your player plays it.
Try also on a BD-RE (choose Blu-ray instead of AVCHD as export format, but you can also try a Blu-ray structure burned on dvd, it's called BD-5/9, it's compatible with some players).
Did you export the project as Blu-ray and not AVCHD ? If you chose AVCHD while it's burned on BD-R, it could explain why you player does not manage it.

Last edited by Music Fan; 19th February 2014 at 12:57.
Music Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th February 2014, 14:24   #7747  |  Link
ddepuemd

Yes, the export was for Blu-ray. My guess is that I need a newer player in order to do what I want. This player is vintage 2010.
Old 19th February 2014, 14:52   #7748  |  Link
ddepuemd

My particular player, philips BDP5012, says that it does not support BD-RE v1 or 2, and BD-R v1.0 recorded in BDAV format. Could this be the problem?
Old 20th February 2014, 06:39   #7749  |  Link
von Suppé

This reminds me of similar problems I encountered with a BD player. At the end it was bad media (don't know if I may advise brand names here). A pc optical drive being able to read a self-baked disk generally doesn't say much about a standalone player's ability to do so.
Maybe you can try your created disk in another standalone, like a friend's? As stated BD players can be very picky about brand / type of media. Maybe you can try out on one disk of another brand.
In my book, unfortunately maybe, Philips players tend to be rather selective indeed.
But maybe there's a firmware update for your player. I've seen BD players changing behavior significantly after a firmware flash. Maybe you want to check out the manufacturer's support.
And as far as burning concerns, I always use ImgBurn. I assume you burned with the right settings?

Cheers
von Suppé is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th February 2014, 12:03   #7750  |  Link
Music Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by von Suppé View Post
don't know if I may advise brand names here
Why not, it would be interesting.
Old 21st February 2014, 05:33   #7751  |  Link
xzerst

Quote:
Originally Posted by viceversa View Post
For 2 days, i'm trying to author a movie with Multiavchd but it always keeps subtitles on. Like embedded...
I cant shut them off dunno why.

Tried m2ts file to play with MPC and no subtitles present, no issues with the movie.
Just installed newest K-Lite pack 2 days ago and ofcourse blamed it. Then returned to old version i always used but the sum is same...

Any idea?

BTW, i disabled DirectVOBSub already...
In the transcode and fit to media options for hard-subtitles, click on the dropdown arrow and change settings to do not use hard-burned subtitles.
Attached Images

xzerst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd February 2014, 14:59   #7752  |  Link
JeanMarc

x264 transcoding prior to multiAVCHD processing

My objective is to burn a strict AVCHD BD-R for my hardware players (PS3 and Panasonic). I am able to do it successfully whether or not I ask multiAVCHD to perform the transcoding sometimes required to reduce the size of the content.

But I am now interested in doing the video compression/encoding separately, **prior** to using multiAVCHD (primarily to better control it and integrate it in my processing chain). I have been trying to find the x264 command that seems to produce an output almost identical to the one generated by multiAVCHD X264 transcoding.
Although the audio always plays well, and the video so produced plays well on VLC player, PotPlayer, Media Player Classic, it fails to play on Windows Media Player and on the hardware players (PS3 and Panasonic). The result is a menu that works, but only the audio plays. No picture.

I am using the following 2-pass HQ X264 commands:
Code:
%x264% --bitrate %2 --pass 1 --stats %1.stats --preset slow --tune film --profile main \
--level 4 --subme 6 --mixed-refs --weightb --qcomp 0.5 --merange 14 --8x8dct --trellis 2 \
--ipratio 1.1 --pbratio 1.1 --vbv-maxrate 20000 --vbv-bufsize 25000 --threads auto --thread-input \
--aud --nal-hrd vbr --sar 1:1  --b-pyramid strict --keyint 48 --min-keyint 4 --slices 0 --weightp 0 \
--ref 4 --bframes 3 --b-pyramid strict --rc-lookahead 0 --no-mbtree --qpmin 10 --qpmax 50 \
--output %1.mkv %1.m2ts

%x264% --bitrate %2 --pass 2 --stats %1.stats --preset slow --tune film --profile main \
--level 4 --subme 6 --mixed-refs --weightb --qcomp 0.5 --merange 14 --8x8dct --trellis 2 \
--ipratio 1.1 --pbratio 1.1 --vbv-maxrate 20000 --vbv-bufsize 25000 --threads auto --thread-input \
--aud --nal-hrd vbr --sar 1:1  --b-pyramid strict --keyint 48 --min-keyint 4 --slices 0 --weightp 0 \
--ref 4 --bframes 3 --b-pyramid strict --rc-lookahead 0 --no-mbtree --qpmin 10 --qpmax 50 \
--output %1.mkv %1.m2ts
where %2 is the bitrate and %1.m2ts is the input file.
Can anyone tell me if this is possible, or if there is anything wrong with the x264 command?
Thanks a lot.
-------------
PS. Just wondering, is it possible that x264 is not able to generate a correct m2ts transport stream? If that is the case, I might have to use tsMuxeR to create the transport stream? I will try that.

Last edited by JeanMarc; 23rd February 2014 at 16:26. Reason: Second thoughts
JeanMarc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th February 2014, 06:28   #7753  |  Link
von Suppé

Not much of a command liner myself, but I know MeGUI uses "--bluray-compat" for both Blu-ray and AVCHD.
I am not sure if x264 can generate a m2ts file. Being a video-encoder only, I always thought it's output was purely .h264 elementary videostream and muxing into a container happened after encoding by another tool.
I usually let MeGUI output into mkv, and go from there.
von Suppé is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th February 2014, 01:48   #7754  |  Link
JeanMarc

x264 transcoding prior to multiAVCHD processing

After a few more tests, here is what I was doing, which didn't work:
Code:
input file--> x264 cmd  --> mp4 video |
                                       >-> multiAVCHD -> AVCHD disc
input file--> ffmpeg cmd--> ac3 audio |
Here is what works (same process to generate mp4 and ac3 streams:
Code:
mp4 video |
           >->tsMuxeR--> AVCHD folder --> multiAVCHD -> AVCHD disc
ac3 audio |
The last step (with multiAVCHD) is used for the menu, which is very convenient for multiple titles.
So the x264 encoding was fine, I just needed tsMuxeR to generate a video that would be AVCHD compliant. It is however surprising that multiAVCHD, which uses tMuxeR to multiplex the streams is not able to create a compliant AVCHD folder from my x264 file.
Old 25th February 2014, 17:16   #7755  |  Link
Capsbackup

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeanMarc View Post
The last step (with multiAVCHD) is used for the menu, which is very convenient for multiple titles.
So the x264 encoding was fine, I just needed tsMuxeR to generate a video that would be AVCHD compliant. It is however surprising that multiAVCHD, which uses tMuxeR to multiplex the streams is not able to create a compliant AVCHD folder from my x264 file.
I use it quite often, and it always works for me!
I use either BD-RB or MeGui to create a x264 AVCHD compatible file, then tsMuxeR to create a .ts or bluray file that I will import into multiAVCHD.
Motion menus or a still picture for the menu always works too.
Capsbackup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th February 2014, 23:05   #7756  |  Link
throbber

hi guys.
I did t realise there was a forum for this programme.
I find it works with great results or on a bad day its crashs a lot.but I keep comeing back because when it works the results are stunning on my 47" tv.I always convert mvk files to avchd dvd9. out of the blue for no reason I can think of its started to output oversize files. "fit all>>dvd9>>2pass and it comes out at bout 8.5gb. which is to large to burn.always used to be a shade under 8gb.any ideas why its doing it??

Last edited by throbber; 25th February 2014 at 23:10.
throbber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th February 2014, 14:28   #7757  |  Link
JeanMarc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capsbackup View Post
I use it quite often, and it always works for me!
I use either BD-RB or MeGui to create a x264 AVCHD compatible file, then tsMuxeR to create a .ts or bluray file that I will import into multiAVCHD.
Motion menus or a still picture for the menu always works too.
Your process is similar to mine, and you do use txMuxer prior to multiAVCHD. That is the step I thought was not necessary! But I now enjoy the program. Great to pack lots of x264 videos on disks, with nice menus.
Old 26th February 2014, 14:39   #7758  |  Link
Capsbackup

Yes I do import my files already multiplexed and use multiAVCHD for authoring.
If the files have chapters, I import the mpls file to keep them as well.
It really is an amazing program!!
Old 26th February 2014, 14:41   #7759  |  Link
Music Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capsbackup View Post
If the files have chapters, I import the mpls file to keep them as well.
Do you mean you import mpls as video file (which opens video and chapters at the same time) or as chapter file after having opened video ?
Old 26th February 2014, 14:48   #7760  |  Link
Capsbackup

Quote:
Originally Posted by Music Fan View Post
Do you mean you import mpls as video file (which opens video and chapters at the same time) or as chapter file after having opened video ?
Import mpls for the video file and all audio and subs associated with that mpls.
However, chapters can be added or changed to the video file if it does not have any or the import was a ts file without chapters.

Tags
avchd, blu-ray hd-dvd, mkv, multiavchd, re-author