Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Hardware & Software > Software players

Old 17th August 2019, 19:59   #57121  |  Link
nevcairiel
Registered Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by RealSnoopyDog View Post
How complicated is it, to add support for HLG (Hybrid Log Gamma)? This is another HDR format which is used with DVB transmissions to save bandwidth. And who needs to support it? Only madVR or the graphics card as well?
If madVR supported it, it could at least make use of the HDR data to create a better SDR image.

If you want the HLG data actually send out to the screen without madVR processing it to ordinary SDR, the graphics card would probably need to accept it as a valid mode. Luckily HLG has no extra metadata, so that might be easier.
Old 17th August 2019, 22:00   #57122  |  Link
Alexkral

For SDR output you can make a 3DLUT with DisplayCal.

Edit: You have the option of using the SMPTE 2084 roll-off with an HLG profile, but that probably won't work.

Last edited by Alexkral; 17th August 2019 at 22:22.
Alexkral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th August 2019, 05:30   #57123  |  Link
huhn

madVR doesn't read HLG yet and doesn't like HLG 3D LUT.
i just "convinced" madVR that this 3D LUT is fine just use it and it worked fine with an HLG source.
huhn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th August 2019, 08:34   #57124  |  Link
YukonTrooper

Is there any known cause for presentation glitches to accelerate over time? I've tried almost every option in the general settings page to no avail. Rendering times are ~10ms and there's no repeated or dropped frames.
YukonTrooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th August 2019, 15:13   #57125  |  Link
jkauff

You don't say what presentation glitches are occurring. You also need to tell us something about your system, such as what graphics card are you using, and how much video memory does it have?
jkauff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th August 2019, 15:15   #57126  |  Link
oldpainlesskodi

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldpainlesskodi View Post
Will post some observations here tomorrow.
Initial findings (summary)

Like:

1st ever time using an AMD card...love the black levels (picking up details in shadows and dark scenes that were never visible with the 1080) and PQ (appears cleaner,and yet more detail at the same time), and control over just about every aspect of PQ.

Using Wattman (auto overclock), the card is happy and stable at 2130. About 30% faster that my overclocked 1080 strix (render times).

Dislike:

Control over just about every aspect of PQ (for us types...oh well, even more obsessing)

Software not as intuitive as Nvidia.

Seems to throttle at a lower threashold (nivida on 23p, seems to be about 39 vs 32 ms)

HDR is better on Nividia because of the API links in Madvr (I assume) being able to tell the display its a Bt2020 signal.

Verdict - 1080 up on ebay over the next few days, but still have lots more testing and tuning to do.

Last edited by oldpainlesskodi; 18th August 2019 at 15:22.
oldpainlesskodi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th August 2019, 15:37   #57127  |  Link
huhn

there is no difference in black level this has been proven countless times using measurement hardware you are imagine things or your level settings are messed up.

can you make a screen with ShowRenderSteps would be nice to see AMD back with some NGU capable cards.
Old 18th August 2019, 15:41   #57128  |  Link
nevcairiel
Registered Developer

IIRC, AMD has (or used to have) some image improvement processing options enabled by default. Make sure you're not falling into a processing trap.
Old 18th August 2019, 16:31   #57129  |  Link
ng4ever

Just ordered RX5700 XT a few minutes ago.

Should be here in a hour. Can't wait.
ng4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th August 2019, 16:49   #57130  |  Link
DMU

oldpainlesskodi
Could you check HDR passthrough at 8 bit madVR output?
DMU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th August 2019, 18:10   #57131  |  Link
ng4ever

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMU View Post
oldpainlesskodi
Could you check HDR passthrough at 8 bit madVR output?
I will check that for you.

Just got the video card around 30 minutes ago.
ng4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th August 2019, 18:32   #57132  |  Link
DMU

ng4ever, thank you.
I managed to output HDR-passthrough at 8 bit madVR output on my Vega using a profiles bug, but there is doubt that statistics show the truth.
DMU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th August 2019, 18:40   #57133  |  Link
el Filou

Quote:
Originally Posted by nevcairiel View Post
IIRC, AMD has (or used to have) some image improvement processing options enabled by default.
Isn't madVR supposed to bypass all those? (as long as you're not using DXVA processing in Trade quality for performance, of course)
Old 18th August 2019, 19:17   #57134  |  Link
YukonTrooper

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkauff View Post
You don't say what presentation glitches are occurring. You also need to tell us something about your system, such as what graphics card are you using, and how much video memory does it have?
I think I discovered the issue.

I started getting the presentation glitches when using my LG C9 @ 119Hz. I also have a 165Hz G-Sync display connected to the same system. Doing some searching, apparently there can be issues with two high refresh displays, despite using the "Second screen only" option in Windows.

I was able to reduce the presentation glitches by lowering the presented frames to low as 2, although they still occurred. I then tried disabling presented frames and using the backbuffer at default 3 without any presentation glitches. However, I only tested ~5 minutes of playback before going to bed. I'll try extended playback tonight and see if the backbuffer method is indeed truly the fix.

Still, any input is welcome. Maybe there's an optimal setup somebody is aware of I can jump straight to. I also still need to try 1 presented frame and much higher presented frames. Apparently very high presented frames fixed presentation glitches for someone in a similar scenario.

Also, I'm on Windows 1803 with a GTX 1070.
YukonTrooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th August 2019, 19:46   #57135  |  Link
SamuriHL

Man that sounds really similar to the issues we get on RTX cards. Try a present frames of 1 and see if that clears it up. Alternatively, turn D3D11 presentation off and use D3D9 and see if the problem goes away. I'd be curious how that works for you.
Old 18th August 2019, 20:35   #57136  |  Link
el Filou

There's a note in NVIDIA's driver doc that stutter problems can arise when using multiple monitors with different refresh rates or GSync/non-GSync, maybe that's a case of that.
Old 18th August 2019, 20:55   #57137  |  Link
Asmodian

I found disabling G-sync entirely helped a lot. Mixing G-sync and non-G-sync displays has always caused issue for me if I left G-sync enabled. madVR and G-sync are not friends in general.

I also think matching refresh rates across multiple displays is a good idea, if you are running a C9 @ 119 Hz you might want to run the G-sync display at that too, with G-sync disabled.

Windows DWM and GPU drivers still aren't good at multi-displays refresh rates and madVR does not play well with G-sync.

All that said trying D3D9 Windowed Overlay is definitely something to test, it is the most OS independent option.
Old 18th August 2019, 22:25   #57138  |  Link
okc_smoker

Here are a few screenshots using my new RX 5700 (*not* XT). I'm debating returning it and picking up one of the aftermarket XT's that are just now coming out, but we'll see. I've been really impressed with this card, so it may not be worth shaving a few ms per frame.

Note that the rendering times in the screenshots are actually higher than the actual average for some of them (I'm assuming due to the action of taking the screenshot). You can also ignore the dropped frames as I was doing a lot of stopping and starting. I'll post the actual render times with each picture. Also, motion blur, jpeg compression, yada, yada...

This is my first time posting screenshots, so let me know if there's a better way to do this.

Bohemian Rhapsody (720p -> 2160p) (~26ms)

Planet Earth II (4k HDR w/ tone mapping) (~30 ms)
Attached Images

Last edited by okc_smoker; 18th August 2019 at 22:28.
okc_smoker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th August 2019, 22:32   #57139  |  Link
huhn

just use alt print madVR will not even notice with the screenshoot function madVR renders the image differently.
and upload them somewhere else.
Old 18th August 2019, 23:12   #57140  |  Link
okc_smoker

Quote:
Originally Posted by huhn View Post
just use alt print madVR will not even notice with the screenshoot function madVR renders the image differently.
and upload them somewhere else.
Great, thanks. I'll do that in the future. I initially linked to Imgur, but they were WAY too large and I'm sure that would have been irritating. Some forum software will show a smaller, expandable image when you embed, but apparently not this one.
okc_smoker is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
direct compute, dithering, error diffusion, madvr, ngu, nnedi3, quality, renderer, scaling, uhd upscaling, upsampling