Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Video Encoding > MPEG-2 Encoding

Old 13th December 2008, 06:05   #1  |  Link
CVonV

dvd authoring/encoding help

hey guys i have a few issues i'm wondering you can help me with..

i've made a 30min photo slideshow with windows movie maker.. the resolution is 1024x576 pal (i used a custom profile to encode it in that reso)

i've been using a number of dvd authoring programs: roxio mydvd (version 10 i think, it came with roxio creator 2009 ultimate), tmpgenc authoring works 4, tmpgenc xpress 4 and dvd flick

with all programs.. the resulting quality is nowhere as sharp as the original 250mb wmv.. they're all in 720x576 (AR 16:9) reso.. it's like the pictures have been resized down and then interpolated up.. and u can tell from the edges that they're jagged, kinda like turning off anti-aliasing in games.. now is it just cos of the way mpeg2 is with it's conversion process? i have screenshot them both using MPC's save image function but it doesnt show the difference in quality.. u can definitely see it only on playback

also, out of the all the programs, i would like to use tmpgenc as it looks the best (relatively speaking) but then i have issues with them:

* when i use tmpgenc authoring works 4, if i don't choose the "automatic smart rendering prioritized" setting for the video encoding ie if i choose "re-encode all videos as below" (i choose this cos i can then change the bitrates) i get an error saying something about the GOP length is too long.. i can ignore it but then when i playback the resulting vob files in MPC, when i skip to certain parts of the video, the scene doesn't change.. so i don't know if that will also happen on a dvd player.. tmpgenc xpress 4 does not have this problem
* the problem with both xpress 4 and authoring works 4 is that in one scene which i have a full widescreen picture.. they both encode 2 small blackbars on the left and right side instead of going all the way to the edge.. i have tried selecting the source as pixel 1:1 (square) and display 16:9 but it doesn't make a difference.. xpress 4 format is set to 16:9, authoring works 4 is set to Letterbox. mydvd and dvd flick do not do this! here is a screenie of tmpgenc (the screenie ends up being saved in 720x576 unfortunately and i cbf to resize but u get what i mean anyways)... here is the original from the wmv

ps tmpgenc 2.5 free doesn't have any of the problems listed above

hope you guys can help

Last edited by CVonV; 13th December 2008 at 06:16.
CVonV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th December 2008, 09:00   #2  |  Link
setarip_old

Hi!

Since it's a slide show, I'd suggest you use a graphics program to resize each of the photos to 720x576 before using a DVD authoring program...
setarip_old is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th December 2008, 15:26   #3  |  Link
MrC
AVStoDVD Dev

In addition to setarip_old reply, I would suggest following jobs list:

1. Import your pictures in Windows Movie Maker.
2. If you have a huge hard drive, save slideshow as AVI uncompressed. If not save it as wmv high quality.
3. Convert it to mpeg2 using your favourite converter (my favourite is, obviously, AVStoDVD ).

Bye

AVStoDVD Homepage
AVStoDVD @ Doom9 Forum
MrC is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dvdflick, mydvd, roxio, tmpgenc, xpress