Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Hardware & Software > PC Hard & Software
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 18th November 2020, 16:29   #1  |  Link
famasfilms

Displayport and HDMI to receiver

I have a Geforce 1650 Super which was connected via DVI-HDMI to an LG 24GL600f monitor, and to a Denon 3200 receiver via HDMI. The receiver is also connected to an LG OLED.

Everything worked fine with the Monitor as the primary screen, the TV as an occasional second screen and audio to the receiver.

I bought a displayport cable to get 144hz on the monitor and now everything is acting weird:

When I turn on the PC there's no signal on the monitor unless I also turn on the TV, this is annoying because the TV is rarely used and is not a daily second screen.

When I turn off the TV things go funny in windows. All my open programs, quick launch and system tray disappear from the taskbar and it's like the monitor has become the secondary screen. Plus it looks like the phantom primary screen (The TV) is now on the opposite side of the monitor.

When I turn the TV back on, all my taskbar stuff comes back.

This seems to happen regardless of whether the screens are set up as duplicates or extended desktops.

I also tried running the HDMI cable from the Intel integrated gfx to the receiver and had the exact same issue. Turning off the TV "sets" the monitor from primary display to secondary
famasfilms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th November 2020, 17:58   #2  |  Link
SeeMoreDigital
Life's clearer in 4K UHD

Quote:
Originally Posted by famasfilms View Post
I bought a displayport cable to get 144hz on the monitor...
Why exactly do you need 144Hz?
Old 21st November 2020, 00:13   #3  |  Link
Blue_MiSfit
Derek Prestegard IRL

Gaming High refresh rate on the desktop is absolutely glorious, even just for office work!

I'm not clear on how OP is configured, but is this maybe a limitation in how many pixels per second this GPU can push out? Does this happen if you run the monitor at 60 Hz?
Blue_MiSfit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st November 2020, 01:57   #4  |  Link
QBhd
QB the Slayer

All you need to do is set the #2 monitor to be the main monitor in Windows. I used to think that HDMI would trigger Windows into thinking it is number 1... However, I now have both my TV and monitor on HDMI and still my TV comes up as number 1. I now think it is based on screen size. The monitor being smaller than the 4k TV.

QB
Old 28th November 2020, 10:56   #5  |  Link
foxyshadis
Angel of Night

20H2 fixed a longstanding issue I had with turning my monitor on or off reverting back and forth to the built-in screen repeatedly. Well "fixed" as in now it only switches directly to the laptop screen when the monitor is turned off, instead of back and forth. Something involved in that change might have affected your setup; the best I can say is disconnect it if you aren't using it until (hopefully) a driver comes along to fix that issue.
foxyshadis is offline   Reply With Quote