Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Hardware & Software > Software players
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 14th October 2019, 20:15   #241  |  Link
von Suppé

displaying SUP in cropped video

Hi stax76,

First of all a big thanks for your work on mpv.net player.

When playing videos (mkv) that have the black borders cropped, the .SUP subtitles are displayed to high. This is not a fault, I think, because of my workflow in SubtitleEdit. Let me explain.

I do a lot of subtitles editing/creating and for my HW mediaplayers compatibilities to show SUPs in the right way, I do this as follows.

As an example for 1920x800 video (black bars both 140px cropped), When exporting a .srt file as Bluray SUP, I choose "1080p (1920x1080)" for resolution. So if it were to be for a normal 1920x1080 video.I then set the bottom margin to - let's say - 144. The result is that my mediaplayers show the SUP images 4 pixels above the black bars of the tv-screen.
(I think the players just add the black bars after decoding the 1920x800 video, so the output will be 1920x1080 and then overlay the SUP image, with the offset honoured).

mpv player plays the SUP images to high (I guess 144 pixels) above the bottom of the video itself. Is there a way to set mpv so, that it will handle the SUPs as I want?
von Suppé is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th October 2019, 05:24   #242  |  Link
stax76

I don't have great experience with subtitles even though sometimes I use them. You can try:

https://mpv.io/manual/master/#subtitles

Do you know how to edit mpv.conf ?

I've been working on something larger and uploaded a beta build.

5.4.2.1 Beta
  • pressing shift key suppresses auto-load-folder
  • switch --queue added, this will not clear the playlist but append
    and it will suppress auto-load-folder. To get a 'Add to mpv.net playlist'
    context menu item in explorer with multi selection support use my
    Open with++ shell extension, as far as I know multi selection
    can not be done using the Registry but only via shell extension
  • window-size mpv property support added (default bindings)
  • the config editor keeps profiles and comments in mpv.conf intact!
  • the options in the config editor are better organized

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/4ctl2y928...dd3yqcAHa?dl=0

https://1drv.ms/f/s!ArwKS_ZUR01gySQIE1QCL2i9F_uR
stax76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th October 2019, 16:49   #243  |  Link
stax76

mpv v0.30.0 was released today.
Old 25th October 2019, 17:42   #244  |  Link
aufkrawall

Too bad there is no mpv.net for Linux.
aufkrawall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th October 2019, 05:15   #245  |  Link
FranceBB
Broadcast Encoder

Quote:
Originally Posted by stax76 View Post
mpv v0.30.0 was released today.
Thank you!
I use MPV quite often at home as well as at work and your .NET version adds some useful things to it.
By the way, I noticed that the solution explorer file you made targets .NET Framework 4.7 and you compiled it that way. Out of pure curiosity, I'm gonna try to target .NET Framework 4 on Visual Studio and re-compile it: if it works, it's gonna be a great gift to WinXP users.
FranceBB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th October 2019, 12:56   #246  |  Link
stax76

It uses 4.5 APIs like System.Threading.Tasks. I promise extended Win 7 support only for staxrip, there is no official statement yet that .NET 5.0 will support Win 7.

https://devblogs.microsoft.com/dotne...oducing-net-5/
Old 26th October 2019, 18:52   #247  |  Link
Tadanobu

Thanks again for yet another great software.

I just tried it for the first time and here are a few suggestions :

- After a fresh install, the sound is set to 0% (or maybe 10%). It may be better to set it to 100% because the first idea you have is that the audio is not properly played.
- When you pause a video and drag another file, the player remain paused. It would be nice that it plays the new file automatically.
- Is it possible to enable to audio up to 200% (or even more, the more the better). I know the quality becomes awful but I sometimes put VLC at 200% audio when I can't use an external speaker.
- Panscan is not working for me (w/W shortcut).
- Shortcuts using upper-keyboard numbers are not convenient for azerty keyboards because you need to use shift/caps lock. Numpad and numbers shortcuts should do the same. (I know I can edit shortcuts)
- The cycle aspect ratio is not convenient. We need a menu and/or more options.
- Sometimes the control bar is too big and imposing, and sometimes it's too small and hard to read. Weird.
- We need a zoom menu to be able to easily set the displayed resolution at x1, x2, x0.5 etc...
- I like the single process setting. But then I can't have two instances of mpv.net opened at the same time. Is it possible to have an in-between ? i.e. whenever I double click on a file, it's played in the same instance. But if I click on mpv.net from the start menu it opens another instance.

Maybe some of these things are already possible and I just need to explore more of its options. Anyway, thank you for your work, I'll be using this player from now on. The only pros VLC has now is its VL Sub plugin to easy look for and download subtitles. Do you think it could be implemented ?
Tadanobu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th October 2019, 20:10   #248  |  Link
stax76

mpv.net is currently paused because at the moment I'm working on color theme support for MediaInfo.NET (link in my signature).
Old 31st October 2019, 04:09   #249  |  Link
stax76

@Tadanobu

Sorry about the late reply, I finished my MediaInfo GUI (link in signature) and am now back working on mpv.net.

Quote:
After a fresh install, the sound is set to 0% (or maybe 10%). It may be better to set it to 100% because the first idea you have is that the audio is not properly played.
This was fixed in v5.4.2.

Quote:
When you pause a video and drag another file, the player remain paused. It would be nice that it plays the new file automatically.
I believe this is mpv default behavior, I don't know if it's important to change and if mpv has a setting for it. If you think it should be changed please create an issue on the tracker. Meanwhile you can do:

- Menu > Settings > Open Config Folder
- create 'scripts' sub folder
- create PowerShell script with filename 'FileLoaded.ps1' and code: [mp]::Command('set pause no')

For this particular task the best language is JavaScript or Lua, PowerShell is less efficient but more cool.

Quote:
Is it possible to enable to audio up to 200% (or even more, the more the better). I know the quality becomes awful but I sometimes put VLC at 200% audio when I can't use an external speaker.
I think so but I'm not sure, you can try to search the manual (https://mpv.io/manual/master) for 'volume'.

Quote:
Panscan is not working for me (w/W shortcut).
For me it's working, did you change video settings like vo or gpu-api ? This is purely mpv related, besides in this thread you can also get mpv help via bug tracker, chat and 4chan...

Quote:
Shortcuts using upper-keyboard numbers are not convenient for azerty keyboards because you need to use shift/caps lock. Numpad and numbers shortcuts should do the same. (I know I can edit shortcuts)
Which shortcuts for instance? My shortcut defaults are designed to be compatible with German keyboard layout, MusicBee and my (partially broken) MS remote control. Some shortcuts are the same as mpv defaults. There are many players with pitiful key editing capabilities, mpv really shines in this regard.

Quote:
The cycle aspect ratio is not convenient. We need a menu and/or more options.
I'm not sure if it's important, I've never needed to change the AR. The WinForms menu implementation is not very performant and certain people are prone to cognitive overload if the menu is too large. mpv.net is probably the only player with an easy way to customize the menu, see:

Menu > Settings > Open Config Folder: input.conf

I'm totally willing to assist beginners with this process, just let me know if you can't figure it out, this can be intimidating in the beginning but can be very satisfying once understood, especially if you use a cool editor like VS Code (yes, I'm a total fan of this editor...).

Quote:
Sometimes the control bar is too big and imposing, and sometimes it's too small and hard to read. Weird.
This is also purely mpv related, the manual has some OSC settings documented you could try, it's based on the built-in OSC.lua script, since it's Lua based I could modify it (if I would understand Lua...) but there are no plans for doing this.

Quote:
We need a zoom menu to be able to easily set the displayed resolution at x1, x2, x0.5 etc...
I'm not sure if I understand it correctly, for changing the window size you can try the last beta with the last menu defaults:

download:

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/4ctl2y928...dd3yqcAHa?dl=0

https://1drv.ms/f/s!ArwKS_ZUR01gySQIE1QCL2i9F_uR

menu defaults:

https://github.com/stax76/mpv.net/bl...tConf.txt#L137

You have to either delete input.conf or update it manually...

Quote:
I like the single process setting. But then I can't have two instances of mpv.net opened at the same time. Is it possible to have an in-between ? i.e. whenever I double click on a file, it's played in the same instance. But if I click on mpv.net from the start menu it opens another instance.
There is already some complexity, I would only be willing to implement it if it's a popular request.

Quote:
The only pros VLC has now is its VL Sub plugin to easy look for and download subtitles. Do you think it could be implemented ?
It could be and should since it's a popular request, problem is I don't download external subtitles and it might not be easy to build. I think ideally this would be an external tool that can be integrated into both mpv and mpv.net, it surprises me that it's not already available for mpv or maybe I just missed it.

Last edited by stax76; 31st October 2019 at 04:13.
Old 31st October 2019, 15:44   #250  |  Link
Tadanobu

Thank you very much for taking the time to write this extended answer. Thanks to your advices and the guide I've been able to tweak mpv.net more to my liking. The number of available settings is astonishing.
Tadanobu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st November 2019, 17:33   #251  |  Link
stax76

I've just uploaded a new release and hope that it's actually stable.

https://github.com/stax76/mpv.net/releases
Old 17th November 2019, 15:45   #252  |  Link
stax76

Hey everybody,

I've uploaded a maintenance release, there is now an update check and routine.

The release is all about PowerShell because the update routine is PowerShell based and I've also migrated the release script from C# to PowerShell. It's possible to install mpv.net with PowerShell but I don't maintain this yet so there is a delay, I'll investigate if I can take over the maintenance for the Chocolatey package.

Let me know what you think about the default theme.

• new: forecolors in the dark theme are slightly darker now
  • new: readme/website and manual were improved
  • new: source code includes now the release script to build the archives and setup files
  • new: the history feature now uses the full path
  • new: install via Scoop and Chocolatey added to readme/website (Restia666Ashdoll)
  • new: update check, it must be enabled first in the conf editor under General
  • new: update feature, requires PowerShell 5 and curl,
    an up to date Windows 10 system has both included.
    Main menu (input.conf) must be reset or updated manually (defaults)
  • update: libmpv shinchiro 2019-11-10
  • fix: often the OSC was shown when fullscreen was entered
    or on app startup, this is now suppressed
  • fix: the file association routine uses no longer 'Play with mpv.net' for the
    default open verb caption because it doesn't support multi selection,
    it shows now only Open, the manual explains how to get multi selection
    in File Explorer, read about it here.
  • fix: x86 builds had an older version included because
    of a misconfiguration in the solution file

Link to the project can be found in my signature.
Old 9th February 2020, 21:49   #253  |  Link
amayra
Quality Checker

thanks for your hard work but i have hard time when i'm using your program because i can't control video Frame like MPC
here example:

and can't use mpv.conf options like with mpv.net
Quote:
--video-unscaled=yes
--video-zoom=0
Old 9th February 2020, 23:00   #254  |  Link
stax76

You can create a menu by editing input.conf:

Code:
 _           set video-aspect     "-1" #menu: Video > Override Aspect Ratio > Default
 _           set video-aspect    "4:3" #menu: Video > Override Aspect Ratio > 4:3
 _           set video-aspect   "16:9" #menu: Video > Override Aspect Ratio > 16:9
 _           set video-aspect "2.35:1" #menu: Video > Override Aspect Ratio > 2.35:1
It will not adjust the window size, that is something that could be supported in the future in case somebody creates an issue on the tracker.

Not sure what the other options are used for in mpv, if they are window related than they might not be supported in mpv.net as window related features need a custom implementation because mpv.net uses a custom window. So far only few popular window features are supported:

https://github.com/stax76/mpv.net/wi...implementation

Before work on mpv.net can continue I want to finish some staxrip modernization, made some progress this weekend:

https://github.com/staxrip/staxrip/c...0f1b979aa74f50
Old 10th February 2020, 04:15   #255  |  Link
amayra
Quality Checker

If I go fullscreen, the video gets stretched to take up the whole moniton
Is there a way to either maximize or go fullscreen so I have a video resolution in the center without resizing ?
and mpv.net does not support mpv.conf modification like original mpv ?
Old 10th February 2020, 14:15   #256  |  Link
stax76

Quote:
Is there a way to either maximize or go fullscreen so I have a video resolution in the center without resizing ?
Isn't that what video-unscaled=yes does? I tried adding it to mpv.conf and it works fine in mpv.net.
Old 3rd March 2020, 13:10   #257  |  Link
stax76

Been working 3 months on staxrip and now shifting back to other tools, primarily mpv.net, been already doing mpv.net improvements the last two days so there will be much likely a new build this or next month.
Old 13th March 2020, 22:18   #258  |  Link
stax76

I'm trying to make colors show in mpv but don't seem to work, has anybody else tried it?

Code:
Desktop> mpvnet --vf=format:colormatrix=bt.2020-ncl:primaries=bt.2020 'D:\Samples\GeminiMan_temp\GeminiMan_new_play.avs'
 (+) Video --vid=1 (rawvideo 3840x2072 29.970fps)
VO: [gpu] 3840x2072 yuv420p10
Old 15th March 2020, 20:25   #259  |  Link
amayra
Quality Checker

Quote:
Originally Posted by stax76 View Post
Been working 3 months on staxrip and now shifting back to other tools, primarily mpv.net, been already doing mpv.net improvements the last two days so there will be much likely a new build this or next month.
thank you for your hard work mpc+madvr is the only thing that keep me from change to linux
Old 21st March 2020, 07:58   #260  |  Link
chros

I just tried 5.4.4.0 and it asks for installing .NET 4.8, v5.1.0.0 didn't have this requirement and I didn't find anything in the change log about this.
Edit: the last portable that works without .NET 4.8 is 5.4.1.0
Edit2: oh, it's in the main readme file, sorry

Last edited by chros; 21st March 2020 at 08:05.
chros is offline   Reply With Quote