Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Video Encoding > MPEG-4 Encoder GUIs

Old 15th November 2010, 19:42   #81  |  Link
RanmaCanada

K so Trigun ep 01 has 4 sub streams, when there is only 1 on the disc. Ep 2 has 4 as well, then it gets weird. Ep 03 has 5 sub streams, and ep 04 has 6 sub streams. They are all in one pgc on the disc, meaning chapters 1-20 of one big play list. So I have the chapters split as per normal, 1-5, 6-10, 11-15, 16-20. As you would normall split up a multi ep pgc. The chapters are fine in the mkv file, the audio tracks are great, just the subs seem to go berserk. And as I said if I only do 1-5 and not queue the rest, there is no subtitle duplication. Yet for some reason Vampire Hunter D, which is 1 movie, still has massive amounts of subtracks. It might be these specific titles?? Not sure as everything else pretty much worked, cept for that one Slayers movie heh. I know the odds of you having this stuff is close to nil, but whatever information I can give you I will!
RanmaCanada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th November 2010, 23:53   #82  |  Link
RandomEngy
VidCoder Author

I think I know what's happening. I switched over from manually creating my own subtitle list to creating it via hb_add_subtitle. They must not be going away in between queue jobs and just building up. I'll try to get it fixed sometime this week.
RandomEngy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th November 2010, 08:20   #83  |  Link
RanmaCanada

No rush at all. Whatever I can do to help you out just let me know. I can't code, but I can encode whatever you need and let you know the results? You still need a donate button :P haha. I am one of the few people that donated to Dean, the creator of Multiavchd, and I would like to send you some bux as well. You sir deserve it for your attention to your work. I will try Vampire Hunter D on it's own and see if it goes nuts in regards to making subs.
Old 16th November 2010, 18:00   #84  |  Link
Jonodan

Trouble with Target Size (resulting output size wrong)

I am having some difficulty designating Target Sizes in Vidcoder and getting an output file of a completely different size.

I want to be able to convert some TV shows I recorded from cable TV (Standalone DVD-R, in SP "2 hour" mode) to MKV (or MP4) to add to a multimedia streambox I use. I also want to reduce the file sizes in the process.

However, when I use Target Size, the requested file size was not respected in the resulting file. Here is an example:

- - - - - - -
FILE: Gettysburg - Little Round Top (Civil War Combat - Military Channel).mpg
Runtime: Approx 45 minutes (File size 1.574 gig)

Source: Recorded from Cable TV onto Standalone DVD-R (SP / 2 hour mode). Imported DVD-R directly into Corel / Ulead Videostudio - commercials removed - saved to mpg file using "same as Original Video Clip" for video settings.

VIDEO DETAILS: NTSC, MPEG-2, Upper Fields First, 24 bits, 720x480, 4:3, 29.970 F/S, Vairable Bit Rate (Max 6124 kbps)
AUDIO: Dolby Digital, 126,710,711 Samples, 48000 Hz, Bit Rate: 256
- - - - - - -
After scanning w/ Vidcoder, the video was noted as "No Chapters Found" and audio reflected "1 Unknown (AC3) (2.0 ch)"

I used all default settings except for setting the output directory, choosing MKV as the container, setting 2 pass encoding w/ turbo first pass and adjusting the TARGET FILE SIZE as 950 meg.

For reference, some of the default settings I did NOT adjust were h.264 as Video Codec, Audio settings also all left as default (Target Stream: All, AAC (faac), Dolby Pro Logic II, 48 hz, 160 bitrate)

The encoding took almost 6 hours and resulted in a MKV file of 133 meg (not 950).

I have noticed a few other things. When ripping a music video (330 meg) from a commercial DVD (using DVDFAb to rip the DVD to PC, and - thereafter - the same process used for the sample file noted above - Imported to ULEAD, edited, saved to MPG), VidCoder converted it properly using these same settings and shrinking it as requested (to 180 meg).

ALSO - VidCoder seems to respect requested Target Sizes with my DVD-R recordings if I turn the "2 Pass Encoding" option "OFF".
ALSO: I had similar issues using the original "Handbrake" GUI.

I'm thus assuming the issue stems from my DVD-R sources, but would still like to covert them and reduce them down in size.

Any thoughts?

I am adding a link to the TEXT file of the VidCoder log file. Thanks for any feedback.

http://www.fileden.com/files/2007/5/...476/Vidlog.txt

Last edited by Jonodan; 16th November 2010 at 18:23.
Jonodan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th November 2010, 06:53   #85  |  Link
RandomEngy
VidCoder Author

If you're getting the same problem with the original GUI it's probably an issue in the HandBrake core. You should ask about that over at the HandBrake site; I only work on the Windows UI.
Old 17th November 2010, 07:05   #86  |  Link
RandomEngy
VidCoder Author

Released VidCoder 0.7.2.

This fixes the duplicated subtitles issue.
Old 17th November 2010, 07:17   #87  |  Link
RanmaCanada

ok trying it out now and I will post the results when I am done. Thank you for your quickness. You still need a donate button :P
Old 17th November 2010, 08:13   #88  |  Link
RandomEngy
VidCoder Author

For a number of reasons I don't think accepting donations for the project would be a good idea. If you'd like to express your appreciation, donate whatever you feel like to Village Reach.
Old 21st November 2010, 18:56   #89  |  Link
RanmaCanada

It works now. No problems with multiple streams. Thank you!
Old 21st November 2010, 21:20   #90  |  Link
scarmdjee

I like this app very much.
So good job RandomEngy

just 2 things..

1: Format profile: can you put this to High@L4.1?
the highest profile is only 3.1, can i change it myself, or is this not an option for this app?

2: Pixel Aspect Ratio: it seems i can't change it to other ratio's..
It always stands to 1/1, do i something wrong?

Keep up the good job m8, it really is a nice and easy to use prog.
scarmdjee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd November 2010, 03:50   #91  |  Link
RandomEngy
VidCoder Author

You're talking about x264 profiles? Profiles and tune settings don't work with HandBrake; only the direct settings on the Advanced tab.

About the Pixel Aspect Ratio: do you have Custom Anamorphic selected?
Old 23rd November 2010, 08:31   #92  |  Link
scarmdjee

Ah, that's too bad that uou can not make these settings.. maybe in the future..

about AR, yes i have Custom Anamorphic selected

grtz
Old 30th November 2010, 20:26   #93  |  Link
b66pak

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandomEngy View Post
I've been able to call directly into the HandBrake core libraries...
it is possible to add the option to skip video encoding (set as "copy stream") for h264 sources?
_

Last edited by b66pak; 30th November 2010 at 21:19.
b66pak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st December 2010, 05:42   #94  |  Link
RandomEngy
VidCoder Author

scarmdjee: Do you have the Pixel Aspect Ratio radio choice checked? It won't be editable if you have Display Width selected.
b66pak: The HandBrake libraries don't support video stream copy and they don't have any plans on adding it. As a consumer of those APIs I don't have any way of adding it.
Old 2nd December 2010, 08:53   #95  |  Link
scarmdjee

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandomEngy View Post
scarmdjee: Do you have the Pixel Aspect Ratio radio choice checked? It won't be editable if you have Display Width selected.
i have found it RandomEngy
a mistake from me wich i overlooked..
thx for replying m8
Old 5th December 2010, 00:40   #96  |  Link
DottorLeo

Can you add the "preset" and the "tune" options to VidCoder? It's quite tedious to copy all the string on the command line.

For example to use the preset "veryslow" i had to add manually this string ref=16:bframes=8:b-adapt=2:direct=auto:me=umh:merange=24:subq=10:rc-lookahead=60:analyse=all:trellis=2.

Anyway, really nice GUI!
DottorLeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th December 2010, 17:40   #97  |  Link
ckmox

Quote:
Originally Posted by DottorLeo View Post
Can you add the "preset" and the "tune" options to VidCoder? It's quite tedious to copy all the string on the command line.

For example to use the preset "veryslow" i had to add manually this string ref=16:bframes=8:b-adapt=2:direct=auto:me=umh:merange=24:subq=10:rc-lookahead=60:analyse=all:trellis=2.

Anyway, really nice GUI!
handbrake has its own set of presets so the preset and tune option for x264 is not going to work with it

im a handbrake user so i know this as vidcoder at its core uses handbrake too
ckmox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th December 2010, 20:00   #98  |  Link
DottorLeo

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckmox View Post
handbrake has its own set of presets so the preset and tune option for x264 is not going to work with it

im a handbrake user so i know this as vidcoder at its core uses handbrake too
Yeah but the presets are a simple command that gathers toghether many others, for example as the "very slow" preset on my message above. You can do the same thing changing the values on the Advanced menu as the preset value so why don't add a simple command to the job instead every time editing the command line or all the value in that menu?
DottorLeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th December 2010, 06:25   #99  |  Link
RandomEngy
VidCoder Author

I suppose you could do something like that. Though it would be a rather annoying feature to implement and maintain since you can't just pass a preset name into x624 and trust it to do the right thing. You'd have to keep all the tunes and presets up to date yourself. HandBrake does have some plans to implement tunes/presets for real at some point so I don't really have a big motivation for going off and doing it the hard way.
Old 9th December 2010, 20:03   #100  |  Link
anonchoad
Nigger Hater

Works flawlessly. Awesome app RandomEngy. Thank you very much.
anonchoad is offline   Reply With Quote