Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > (HD) DVD, Blu-ray & (S)VCD > DVD & BD Rebuilder

Old 22nd July 2016, 09:24   #24521  |  Link
varekai

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ch3vr0n View Post
Yup, I don't know exactly what makes bdrb decide the settings it decides, but it has never let me down. I didn't specify anything, I have it set to automatic. Bdrb does it's algorithm magic to decide the best quality. You also have to realize, if the original has 6 audio streams and I strip 4 away, there's less to compress so a less complicated algorithm can be used for the same quality.
The thing is you really can't compress a 42.70 GB Blu-ray to 25 GB without losing video quality. But I guess it's in the eye of the beholder?
The Revenant movie itself is 2:36 long and video size is 39.5 GB.
Downconverting audio saves some space but it is not that significant.
The audio is more of a personal taste, if you have a system that can play DTS-HD Master Audio you'd might wanna keep that.
varekai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd July 2016, 13:40   #24522  |  Link
Torrentted84

Resize 1080 -> 720

Hi,

Some series and/or movies have their menu broken when choosing the option Resize 1080 -> 720?

I had this with Game of Thrones. When entering the home menu it didn't fit anymore. Also Me and Earl and the Dying girl had this.

When watching the movie and then using scene select, the bottom of the preview window is missing.

Is it possible to resize only the movie and/or extra and leave the menu unaltered.
Torrentted84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd July 2016, 15:13   #24523  |  Link
jdobbs

Quote:
Then why does my 6700k only do 1, doesn't seem right.
It uses the environment variable NUMBER_OF_PROCESSORS. Currently it maxes out at 4 unless it is manually set higher.
Old 22nd July 2016, 15:16   #24524  |  Link
jdobbs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torrentted84 View Post
Hi,

Some series and/or movies have their menu broken when choosing the option Resize 1080 -> 720?

I had this with Game of Thrones. When entering the home menu it didn't fit anymore. Also Me and Earl and the Dying girl had this.

When watching the movie and then using scene select, the bottom of the preview window is missing.

Is it possible to resize only the movie and/or extra and leave the menu unaltered.
It shouldn't resize menus. I'll look at it. Unfortunately, though, there's no flag that says "I'm a menu." -- so BD-RB has to look at several factors and make a best guess.
Old 22nd July 2016, 15:21   #24525  |  Link
jdobbs

Quote:
Originally Posted by varekai View Post
The thing is you really can't compress a 42.70 GB Blu-ray to 25 GB without losing video quality. But I guess it's in the eye of the beholder?
The Revenant movie itself is 2:36 long and video size is 39.5 GB.
Downconverting audio saves some space but it is not that significant.
The audio is more of a personal taste, if you have a system that can play DTS-HD Master Audio you'd might wanna keep that.
He's doing a movie-only encode -- and 2.36 hours isn't very much when you have 25GB target to hold it. The size of the original encode is irrelevant. Source discs are always larger than needed, often simply to make them require a dual layer disc. If you really want to see how much space is required, do a CRF encode with a "near-perfect" setting of around 18. It'll almost surely be much smaller than 25GB. Just for the sake of argument, I'll run "The Revenant" and see.

You'd be surprised how much space is used by audio -- LPCM tracks are sometimes several gigabytes.

IMHO anything greater than AC3 @ 640Kbs is a waste of space unless you really, really need more than 5.1 channels. I know people argue about that all the time, and that's why BD-RB allows you to do it however you want. But I trust science, and the double-blind tests (conducted by Dolby) show that 640Kbs AC3 encoding is indistinguishable to the human ear from the original audio (this is where I invariably get all the subjective "Yeah, but I can hear it with my magic ears" comments). I personally believe "HD Audio" to be nothing more than snake oil, it's just snake oil that happens to be selling very well.

On the other hand, opinions are like assholes. Everybody has one -- and nobody cares about anybody elses. Mine included.

Last edited by jdobbs; 22nd July 2016 at 17:59.
jdobbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd July 2016, 16:10   #24526  |  Link
varekai

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdobbs View Post
He's doing a movie-only encode -- and 2.36 hours isn't very much when you have 25GB target to hold it. The size of the original encode is irrelevant. Source discs are always larger than needed, often simply to make them require a dual layer disc. If you really want to see how much space is required, do a CRF encode with a "near-perfect" setting of around 18. It'll almost surely be much smaller than 25GB.

You'd be surprised how much space is used by audio -- LPCM tracks are sometimes several gigabytes.

IMHO anything greater than AC3 @ 640Kbs is a waste of space unless you really, really need more than 5.1 channels. I know people argue about that all the time. But I trust science, and the double-blind tests (conducted by Dolby) show that 640Kbs AC3 encoding is indistinguishable to the human ear from the original audio (this is where I invariably get all the subjective "Yeah, but I can hear it with my magic ears" comments). I personally believe "HD Audio" to be nothing more than snake oil, it's just snake oil that happens to be selling really well.
Aha... always thought the original source encode were important.
Thinking shit in gets shit out, so a good original encode would stand a better chance of a quality compression, but there will always be a limit on how hard you can compress the source, right?
Regarding audio I've seen a lot of blindtest results over the years and I guess some people will always buy "a couple bottles of Dr. Good".

regards
varekai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd July 2016, 16:18   #24527  |  Link
jdobbs

It's always better to keep an original if possible -- because there is loss with any encode. But if you are going to re-encode anyway, the automatic setting just tries to save you from wasting a lot of time on overkill. But, for those who really don't care about time -- you can always force the "High Quality" setting. In my experience, though, you won't be able to detect a difference. When BD-RB (in automatic mode) runs into a source that has a lot of content it boosts the settings as needed.

Last edited by jdobbs; 22nd July 2016 at 16:21.
Old 22nd July 2016, 16:37   #24528  |  Link
Ch3vr0n

Quote:
It uses the environment variable NUMBER_OF_PROCESSORS. Currently it maxes out at 4 unless it is manually set higher.
Well the 6700k has 4 cores and 8 logical processors, still only loads 1 x264 instance. Would it be possible (if this cpu processor amount is to "blame") that it forces the maximum recommended on it's own, without having to manually set multi to 4?
Ch3vr0n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd July 2016, 17:43   #24529  |  Link
jdobbs

Quote:
Well the 6700k has 4 cores and 8 logical processors, still only loads 1 x264 instance. Would it be possible (if this cpu processor amount is to "blame") that it forces the maximum recommended on it's own, without having to manually set multi to 4?
I'll have to try running with your settings. There are several things that can override MULTIPROCESS and force the encode to 1.
Old 22nd July 2016, 17:59   #24530  |  Link
jdobbs

Quote:
If you really want to see how much space is required, do a CRF encode with a "near-perfect" setting of around 18. It'll almost surely be much smaller than 25GB. Just for the sake of argument, I'll run "The Revenant" and see.
Just as a note for reference, I ran "The Revenant" with a CRF of 18. The total video size was 8.5GB. So it doesn't take a lot of bells-and-whistles during the encode to get high-quality into a 25GB target.

Last edited by jdobbs; 22nd July 2016 at 18:02.
Old 22nd July 2016, 18:03   #24531  |  Link
jdobbs

Quote:
Can you look at the NUMBER_OF_PROCESSORS environment variable and see what it says?
Old 22nd July 2016, 18:14   #24532  |  Link
Ch3vr0n

Sure, if you can tell me how
Old 22nd July 2016, 18:50   #24533  |  Link
jdobbs

Quote:
Sure, if you can tell me how
Open up a DOS window and type SET and enter. It will list all the environment variables.

Or, if you prefer, you can go to Control Panel>System and Security>System>Advanced System Settings and click on "Environment Variables"

I just ran a test of "Revenant" using your settings and am getting 4 instances of X264. The one thing I had to change, though, was from DGDecNV to Directshow. I upgraded my video machine to Windows 10, and my Nvidia GT520 video card is one of the ones that isn't supported yet (by DGDecNV) on Win10, so I can't use DGDecNV anymore.

Last edited by jdobbs; 22nd July 2016 at 19:06.
Old 22nd July 2016, 18:55   #24534  |  Link
Ch3vr0n

Just checked NUMBER_OF_PROCESSORS is listed as 8. However just to be on the safe side for you i've run the DOS command too and pasted the entire set of variables into a txt file for you. If there's anything else you need hardware info wise or other just let me know. i don't have my GTX 1080 yet, so im using the built-in video of the cpu. I can't use dgdecNV yet, and i don't want to "pollute" this new rig with my old 680 (drivers arent getting optimised for it anymore anyway) and risk potential driver issues when it arrives. So i'm using avysinth + only LAV filters. Perhaps that has some impact. FFDshow atm isn't installed (per instructions, it's optional)
Attached Files
File Type: txt system variables.txt (1.6 KB, 38 views)

Last edited by Ch3vr0n; 22nd July 2016 at 18:57.
Old 22nd July 2016, 19:08   #24535  |  Link
jdobbs

I'm not using FFDSHOW either, I use AVISYNTH with LAV filters just as you do.
Old 22nd July 2016, 19:17   #24536  |  Link
jdobbs

@Ch2vr0n
Quote:
I can't use dgdecNV yet...
One note. The INI you posted has DGDECNV set as your decoder. Maybe that is what is confusing BD-RB. Try going into setup and changing it to DirectshowSource and see if that fixes the issue.
Old 22nd July 2016, 19:20   #24537  |  Link
Ch3vr0n

not according to the setup, unless that damn windows 10 virtualisation is kicking in despite disabled UAC. Any other locations bd-rebuilder.ini might be saved? The one in bdrb's program files folder does show dgdec as 1, but not in setup. For the record: C:\Users\<snip>\AppData\Roaming\BDREBUILDER is EMPTY. There has to be another location because the source & working path in the program files ini file don't match if i edit through bdrb itself.

Last edited by Ch3vr0n; 22nd July 2016 at 19:23.
Old 22nd July 2016, 19:26   #24538  |  Link
jdobbs

Hmm.. when I used your INI it had DGDECNV selected. Maybe it's because the path to it on my system is still valid.
Old 22nd July 2016, 19:29   #24539  |  Link
Ch3vr0n

Well as stated, setup isn't but the ini file is. Any other locations the config file might get saved and used?
Old 22nd July 2016, 20:21   #24540  |  Link
soneca

Quote:
Just as a note for reference, I ran "The Revenant" with a CRF of 18. The total video size was 8.5GB. So it doesn't take a lot of bells-and-whistles during the encode to get high-quality into a 25GB target.
This film is an excellent "compressibility", there are some movies that no apparent reason(noise, grain...) are difficult to get a reasonable size.
soneca is offline   Reply With Quote